• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oh My Goodness--No More Ice Cream Scoop?

I'm curious, having only been with PC for a year or so...is this common where items go on a stop sell or have been discontinued?
Amanda_RI
Gold Member
Dear Consultant,

I have some disappointing news to share about the Ice Cream Dipper (#2730).

Unfortunately, our supplier is unable to provide us consistently with the quality of product you’ve grown to expect. As a result, we are forced to take the following actions:
1. Effective immediately, the Ice Cream Dipper will only be available “while supplies last.” We anticipate discontinuing the Ice Cream Dipper from our product line effective Jan. 20.
2. Orders including the Ice Cream Dipper will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis, but at midnight (CT) Jan. 20, 2012, this product will no longer be for sale.
You can order “Not available” stickers for your catalogs by writing them in on a supply order. Additionally, we will include stickers with new catalog orders.

We know this is disappointing news, and we’re sorry for any inconvenience this caused you and your customers.

Sincerely,

Rich Hlava
Senior Vice President, Operations

Are you surprised?

I'm curious, having only been with PC for a year or so...is this common where items go on a stop sell or have been discontinued? Between losing the Chef's Tools, the Veggie Slicer and now this...has this been common over the years?

Oh no! I haven't heard of any complaints from my customers. This is one of my most talked about products. :cry:

No Kristen this is not that common. PC only takes things off when absolutely necessary!!

Well, after almost 9 years in the biz, there really haven't been that many items that have gone on stop sell. And if they do, there's a good reason. Sometimes it's out of PC's hands, like the Chef's tools manufacturer going bankrupt (or whatever it was, I'm blanking on that). Sometimes a product sucks, like the Veggie Slicer (I know some of you liked it, but I am thrilled that it is gone). I'm sure PC has a good reason for discontinuing the Ice Cream Scoop.

the ice cream dipper is one of my most popular items... I wonder what went so drastically wrong with it to discontinue it! I may just have to purchase another one before they are no longer available.

I find it interesting that this is happening so soon after the recall.

I have to say I'm pretty unhappy about this.

When the chef's tools happened, that was pretty much the 1st time in 5 yrs. I'd seen that done and it was understandable. The veg. slicer, Ok I get it. But the ice cream dipper!!! This has been around forever and I know we aren't the only ones that make it.

I hate to say it, but I think someone in charge somewhere needs to go. This is embarrassing!!! Not looking forward to explaining yet again that an item can no longer be purchased due to quality.

Yes, I too find it interesting after the recall. And I'm betting product abuse had something to do with it.True example ... I had a scoop replaced during the recall period but had an extra one. So I gave it to my friend who was having a party, who in turn gave it to a customer who complained it turned her ice cream black as a gesture of good will. A week or two later, she said the new one was doing the same thing. Oh and that she had put it in the dishwasher!

My guess is the price of the material the ice cream dipper is made from has increased dramatically in recent times thus causing the manufacturer to attempt to "remix" without losing the substance of our product so "he/it" can still make money while still contractually obligated to PC for a specific price. This "remix", in my guess, has failed the test, they've been discovered, and are unwilling to continue to product a product for pc at a loss.

Just my guess. I have no knowledge what so ever but given the facts of the economy, the increased price of materials, and the fact that the ice cream dipper has been the same since before forever, that's my take. Why else would the all of a sudden have inconsistent quality?

flemings99 said:
I have to say I'm pretty unhappy about this.

When the chef's tools happened, that was pretty much the 1st time in 5 yrs. I'd seen that done and it was understandable. The veg. slicer, Ok I get it. But the ice cream dipper!!! This has been around forever and I know we aren't the only ones that make it.

I hate to say it, but I think someone in charge somewhere needs to go. This is embarrassing!!! Not looking forward to explaining yet again that an item can no longer be purchased due to quality.

While I agree it is disappointing, I have to say, I'm very happy PC is looking out for us. Imagine what a hassle it would be for us if PC continued to carry the item, knowing that the quality is not the same as before, and we had to field complaints from customers.

You are right, we aren't the only one to sell it - that could have something to do with the decrease in quality. Now that others are buying the product, the manufacturer is seeing a greater demand and needing faster/cheaper production time. The result is increased demand that equals decreased quality. Rather than continue to sell the inferior product, PC has chosen to stop selling to protect us as consultants and to protect our customers from poor quality.

I do not agree that someone needs to go. PC has no control over our manufacturers - why should someone at PC lose their job for something that he/she has no control over?

Not to stir the pot even more, but I would imagine that we'll have to deal with this all through the spring season. Our S/S catalogs are already printed and sitting in the PC warehouse and I'd imagine the ice cream dipper is included in those catalogs. :yuck:

It's one product. We have 300+ others to choose from. We all need to take a breath, find a way to put a postive spin on this that is comfortable for us and move forward.

I'd much rather work with a company that is looking out for me and my customers rather than work with one that will sell anything to make a buck.

Just my opinion. Feel free to flame me if you choose.
D

pchockeymom said:
My guess is the price of the material the ice cream dipper is made from has increased dramatically in recent times thus causing the manufacturer to attempt to "remix" without losing the substance of our product so "he/it" can still make money while still contractually obligated to PC for a specific price. This "remix", in my guess, has failed the test, they've been discovered, and are unwilling to continue to product a product for pc at a loss.

Just my guess. I have no knowledge what so ever but given the facts of the economy, the increased price of materials, and the fact that the ice cream dipper has been the same since before forever, that's my take. Why else would the all of a sudden have inconsistent quality?

Good theory! It makes a lot of sense. The problem is, how can a kitchen product company NOT have an ice cream scoop in their product line? I know we have the cookie scoops but they're not the same. I hope they come out with something new.

DebinIA said:
I do not agree that someone needs to go. PC has no control over our manufacturers - why should someone at PC lose their job for something that he/she has no control over?
I think what that person meant by "someone needs to go" they were referring to a manufacturer that was providing poor quality - not someone in our PC office.

Well, if they do come out with something new, I hope it is dishwasher safe. :) Honestly, I can't imagine the amount of dippers PC has had to replace over the years, because folks either won't read the instructions, or won't bother following them.

pchockeymom said:

I agree with this - as the cost of things go up, some manufacturers are looking at ways to cut corners and save some money without realizing that the product will not be the same and that people will have problems with them.

HO is doing what they can to make our customers and us happy. Do you want people to start complaining that PC sucks because they have a bad ice cream dipper? No - that's why they are getting rid of it for now.

I also agree that I am sad about it going away, but happy that our company refuses to sell a product that isn't up to their standards. I wish every company was this way! I hope that we get something to replace it with! Going to order an extra one for myself just in case!

ShelbyMichalek said:
Good theory! It makes a lot of sense. The problem is, how can a kitchen product company NOT have an ice cream scoop in their product line? I know we have the cookie scoops but they're not the same. I hope they come out with something new.

Maybe they have a new one to be introduced at Spring Launch? One could only hope, right? Everyone needs an ice cream scoop! :D

And, maybe it will be PINK! :)

In the past 4 months I have had 6 ice cream dippers arrive and they had leaked the fluid
I am extremely happy we are discontinuing it if it doesn't meet our high standards.

Holy Cr%p I just gave out 300 catalogs for a fundraiser...I spent 2 hours going through putting stickers on the veggie slicer page, now this. NOT pleased.

This is gonna screw up the orders big time....I can't go back and tell them its discontinued.....they already have the catalogs.

ONE OF MY NEW CONSULTANTS HAD SENT ME THIS RELEASE NOTICE ON DEC 30TH FROM THE U.S. CPSC....THAT SHE HAD FOUND ON THE INTERNET...LOOKS LIKE THE RECALL WAS DATED DEC 20TH ACCORDING TO HERE...IT GIVES THE SPECIFICS OF THE ISSUES WITH OUR ICE CREAM SCOOP!
2. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 20, 2011
Release #12-062

Firm's Recall Hotline: (877) 917-2433
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

The Pampered Chef Recalls Ice Cream Dippers Due to Impact Injury Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Ice cream dippers

Units: About 20,000

Distributor: The Pampered Chef, of Addison, Ill.

Manufacturer: The Zeroll Company, of Fort Pierce, Fla.

Hazard: When the liquid-filled ice cream scoop is exposed to warm water, the cap and seal at the end of the scoop handle can fly off with substantial force, posing an impact injury hazard to nearby consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: The Pampered Chef has received 16 reports including damage to kitchen items and six reports of personal injuries including lacerations, bruises and redness caused by caps coming off the base of the handle.

Description: The dippers are metallic gray aluminum with a plastic dome-shaped cap on the base of the handle. "Pampered Chef" is imprinted in the cap. The ice cream dippers measure around seven inches in length. A non-toxic liquid is sealed inside the handle of the product which conducts the heat of your hand to more easily scoop hard ice cream.

Sold by: Pampered Chef consultants and online at Start Your Own Business and plan kitchen shows at PamperedChef.com from July 2010 through September 2010 for about $15.

Manufactured in: USA

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ice cream dippers and contact The Pampered Chef for instructions on obtaining a replacement or refund. Consumers can also contact their Pampered Chef consultant for replacement and refund information.

Customer contact: For additional information, contact The Pampered Chef toll-free at (877) 917-2433 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. CT Monday through Friday and between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. CT on Saturday or visit the firm's website at http://www.pamperedchef.com/recall/cust info collection.jsp. Consumers can also e-mail The Pampered Chef at [email protected]

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including a picture of the recalled product, please go to:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12062.html

Visit our blog, OnSafety at OnSafety, Official blog of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
See our videos on YouTube at USCPSC's Channel - YouTube
Follow us on Twitter at Twitter
See our photos on Flickr at Flickr: USCPSC's Photostream

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, visit SaferProducts.gov, or contact CPSC's Hotline at [email protected], (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270. To join a CPSC e-mail subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain recall and general safety information by logging on to CPSC's Web site at CPSC Home Page | cpsc.gov.

-----------------------------

You are currently subscribed to the e-mail list "recalls" as: [email protected]

To unsubscribe, please do one of the following:
(1) go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx and use the on-line form or
(2) send a blank email to leave-2579547-439859.de07e19cc1ab873af7a9ffbe6242b5d2@list.cpsc.gov

You can also go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx to change your
subscription, or unsubscribe an old address and subscribe a new one.

This message is from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC Home Page | cpsc.gov),
an independent federal regulatory agency, located at 4330 East West
Highway, Bethesda, MD 20814 Toll-free hotline: (800) 638-2772.

Report an Unsafe Product: SaferProducts.gov

Thank you.

We all knew about the recall. They emailed us. It only pertained to scoops sold during a specific time frame. There's more info on Consultant's corner.

Brenda.the.chef said:
Maybe they have a new one to be introduced at Spring Launch? One could only hope, right? Everyone needs an ice cream scoop! :D

It usually takes months even years to develop new products (look how long it took to get the new Cool & Serve tray after they discontinued the Chillzanne line). Even if they find a manufacturer that already has a similar product they will take their time testing it out to make sure it will meet the PC standards.

I've never even taken time to mark my catalogs with the Not Available stickers. I've only ran into one problem in the past when the DCB went on stop sell. I know with the ice cream scoop I will have to - too popular of an item!

Nanisu said:
This is gonna screw up the orders big time....I can't go back and tell them its discontinued.....they already have the catalogs.

We still have time to order them if someone through January 20th. After that just work with your hosts to let them know that the ice cream scoop is discontinued for those who already have their host packets.

Use and Care [return to top] Grasp dipper near scoop. Draw dipper toward you at an angle of about 45 degrees.
Turn dipper, lifting portion out of container; press against dish or cone to release.
Hand wash prior to first use; rinse and towel dry immediately. Do not soak in water or place in dishwasher.

Do not expose to temperatures above 140°F/60 °C.
One-year guarantee for noncommercial use. Refer to sales receipt for details.This is a case of people not reading the use and care and PC is taking the hit. Maybe we as consultants too were remiss in making sure that our customers read these. ???
FUNNY - I HAVE NEVER LET MINE EVER GO INTO DISH WATER! Not sure why either but I remember someone telling me to never do that. I use it, and wash it right away. That too is what kept it from turning that funny gray color!!! Never mind - it was right in the instructions!

Last edited:
ShelbyMichalek said:
We all knew about the recall. They emailed us.

Actually not true...I knew nothing about the recall and have no emails from PC about it..

You should have gotten an e-mail several months ago (summer?) if you sold any scoops during the specific time period involved.

Actually I too went back to look for an e-mail about a recall. I could not find one either. I just got done looking and I thought I had them all back to July. I usually keep about 6 months worth just in case. ??? Unless for some really odd reason I missed it. Which, being old and half senile, could be possible! (No, I am serious! The other half is crazy!)edit: that's why I never saw it! I never got one because i have not sold one since 2009!
That was kinda weird though if there was an issue to begin with, why did they not notify all of us?

TRUE...WE DID NOT ALL GET THE EMAIL!
I believe only those consultants got the email if they had sold any scoops during the time frame they said they had "bad scoops". I too, did not receive an email! But some of my downline did. I think it was originally a "smaller problem" then they expected but now it has gotten bigger.

I got the email(s), and I believe one of them even told me which customer/shows were impacted by the recall, so I would know exactly who to contact.it could be easy to miss though- since we are bombarded daily with so much STUFF in our emails (not just PC).

kreaser said:
I believe only those consultants got the email if they had sold any scoops during the time frame they said they had "bad scoops". I too, did not receive an email! But some of my downline did. I think it was originally a "smaller problem" then they expected but now it has gotten bigger.

That would make sense. NOW it includes ALL of them, not just the ones sold last year.

pampered1224 said:
edit: that's why I never saw it! I never got one because i have not sold one since 2009!
That was kinda weird though if there was an issue to begin with, why did they not notify all of us?

Ahh, I've never sold one in my time, so that explains why I never got the email, but I agree with you in that we should ALL have known about any issues!

kreaser said:

Please know that using caps lock like that, is like screaming at someone. I really don't need that right now. I apologize if I offended you, but I don't appreciate your response.

pchockeymom said:

This was what I thought of right away. I've never had complaints about the ice cream scoop....everyone loves it. So sad to have this happening. I'm speaking in general about any of the stop sells, recalls, etc....

minirottie said:
Actually not true...I knew nothing about the recall and have no emails from PC about it..

I didn't get a recall e-mail either.

pampered1224 said:
Use and Care [return to top]

Grasp dipper near scoop. Draw dipper toward you at an angle of about 45 degrees.
Turn dipper, lifting portion out of container; press against dish or cone to release.
Hand wash prior to first use; rinse and towel dry immediately. Do not soak in water or place in dishwasher.

Do not expose to temperatures above 140°F/60 °C.
One-year guarantee for noncommercial use. Refer to sales receipt for details.

This is a case of people not reading the use and care and PC is taking the hit. Maybe we as consultants too were remiss in making sure that our customers read these. ???
FUNNY - I HAVE NEVER LET MINE EVER GO INTO DISH WATER! Not sure why either but I remember someone telling me to never do that. I use it, and wash it right away. That too is what kept it from turning that funny gray color!!! Never mind - it was right in the instructions!

Reading instructions.....not many do....but, I have made sure to tell customers & guests the instructions you mention.

byrd1956 said:
Reading instructions.....not many do....but, I have made sure to tell customers & guests the instructions you mention.

What a concept, right? ;)

The recall info ( e-mail ) is under the status on product adjustments I just hada guest ask me about that so I went there and found it .

So are you guys encouraging people to order them while they can? Or since it's a quality issue, do we not really say anything and start putting "no longer available" stickers on our catalogs? ;)

I put it on fb and had 5 orders in about 2 hrs. That with a few random orders was enough for a show. I am not taking anymore orders as of submitting it this morning. I followed my directors lead and she posted it on fb too. I just wanted to get the orders in before they ran out which is why I submitted it this morning and then decided to stop advertising it. My next show isnt set to close until after the 20th.

I am not encouraging purchase of this item and I am not getting any extras to have on hand. If there is enough of a quality control issue to pull the product I don't want to be dealing with unhappy customers down the road who find theirs defective and it's too late to get it replaced.I will be contacting my upcoming hosts who already have their packets to let them know. Otherwise I am leaving it alone.

BethCooks4U said:
I am not encouraging purchase of this item and I am not getting any extras to have on hand. If there is enough of a quality control issue to pull the product I don't want to be dealing with unhappy customers down the road who find theirs defective and it's too late to get it replaced.

I will be contacting my upcoming hosts who already have their packets to let them know. Otherwise I am leaving it alone.

Same here!

BethCooks4U said:
I am not encouraging purchase of this item and I am not getting any extras to have on hand. If there is enough of a quality control issue to pull the product I don't want to be dealing with unhappy customers down the road who find theirs defective and it's too late to get it replaced.

I will be contacting my upcoming hosts who already have their packets to let them know. Otherwise I am leaving it alone.

That was my thought too. It's not like the Cooking tools we discontinued last year- where the company went under. This is a safety/quality issue that apparently isn't improving. My SIL was wanting one but she's broke. I had thought about getting one for her before they are gone, but why and then have problems with it later.

Don't stone me, but our ice cream scoop is not the only one out there that can get the job done. ;) I get plenty of ice cream out with my Kitchen Aid one too (AND it goes in the DW). I personally never hold on to the scoop long enough for the gel to have time to do anything anyway! But I do like that two scoops is a "serving size" if you were to measure it out. (~1/4 c each scoop).

If you didn't get an email during the recall, it means you didn't sell any during that time period.

I did put it on FB but don't expect to get a huge demand for it. I look at it this way, the customers who order know that it is being removed for quality control issues, and they're taking that risk when they order. They'd be mad at me, however, if they missed their last chance to get it.

esavvymom said:
That was my thought too. It's not like the Cooking tools we discontinued last year- where the company went under. This is a safety/quality issue that apparently isn't improving. My SIL was wanting one but she's broke. I had thought about getting one for her before they are gone, but why and then have problems with it later.

Don't stone me, but our ice cream scoop is not the only one out there that can get the job done. ;) I get plenty of ice cream out with my Kitchen Aid one too (AND it goes in the DW). I personally never hold on to the scoop long enough for the gel to have time to do anything anyway! But I do like that two scoops is a "serving size" if you were to measure it out. (~1/4 c each scoop).

It's a moot point now but the ice cream scoop does not work with the warmth of your hand. You can leave it in the ice cream untouched and it will melt it. I've also left it in frozen cool whip for a few minutes to thaw it when a host has forgotten to take it out of the freezer. It's got to do with the antifreeze substance inside.

Ok Ok Ok, I knew about the issues. We all did, they told us and told us and told us. I just was not happy about going and grabbing the fundraiser kits--all 150 of them, back from the school and pulling out all 300 catalogs, turning to page 58 of each one and putting the stickers (which I had left over from having to do this for the darn veggie slicer) on all 300 catalogs. Yes, I know its better than fixing it on the back end when the orders come in. But what a pain it was--took me 3 hours + travel time both ways.

UGH! How awful was that? Nancy - good for you though. I know that could not have been an easy task but, what with the safety issue in place, it should be appreciated by all your people.

I've had the same scoop for the last 11 years. Love it... However I will not be encouraging my guest to get them before it's gone as I don't want to deal with the issues.

<h2>What is the reason for discontinuing the Ice Cream Dipper?</h2><p>The supplier for the Ice Cream Dipper (#2730) is unable to consistently provide the quality of product that we expect, so we have made the decision to discontinue it from our product line.</p><h2>When will the Ice Cream Dipper no longer be available for purchase?</h2><p>The Ice Cream Dipper will only be available while supplies last, and we anticipate discontinuing it from our product line on January 20, 2012.</p><h2>How will orders including the Ice Cream Dipper be handled?</h2><p>Orders including the Ice Cream Dipper will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis until January 20, 2012. After that date, the product will no longer be available for sale.</p><h2>Can we still order the Ice Cream Dipper even though it is being discontinued?</h2><p>Yes, you can continue to order the Ice Cream Dipper while supplies last until January 20, 2012. However, after that date, the product will no longer be available for purchase.</p><h2>Where can we get "Not available" stickers for our catalogs?</h2><p>You can order "Not available" stickers for your catalogs by writing them in on a supply order. Additionally, they will be included with new catalog orders.</p>

What is the reason for discontinuing the Ice Cream Dipper?

The supplier for the Ice Cream Dipper (#2730) is unable to consistently provide the quality of product that we expect, so we have made the decision to discontinue it from our product line.

When will the Ice Cream Dipper no longer be available for purchase?

The Ice Cream Dipper will only be available while supplies last, and we anticipate discontinuing it from our product line on January 20, 2012.

How will orders including the Ice Cream Dipper be handled?

Orders including the Ice Cream Dipper will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis until January 20, 2012. After that date, the product will no longer be available for sale.

Can we still order the Ice Cream Dipper even though it is being discontinued?

Yes, you can continue to order the Ice Cream Dipper while supplies last until January 20, 2012. However, after that date, the product will no longer be available for purchase.

Where can we get "Not available" stickers for our catalogs?

You can order "Not available" stickers for your catalogs by writing them in on a supply order. Additionally, they will be included with new catalog orders.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• almondfarm
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • NooraK
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • darlinclem