• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ice Cream Scoop Discoloration: Solutions for Convenience Store Owners

The summary is that the customer's ice cream scoop is discoloring and she may be putting it in the dishwasher which will damage it. The ice cream scoop is still safe to use, but she should replace it if it is getting damaged.
ChefAggi
Silver Member
I found out one of my customers from the last catalog shows is having some problems with her ice cream scoop... She uses it in the convenience store she owns. Seems its discolouring.. is this normal??

Cheers:rolleyes:

Does she put it in the dishwasher? I know from experience that will definitely discolor it.

What happens in the dishwasher is the clear coat on the metal will get cracked due to the change in temperature and then the metal will oxidize. This can also happen if she scrubs it in very hot water. Unfortunately, since she uses it for commercial use, the warranty is not valid.

I will have to find out if she puts it in her dishwasher... do they normally discolour, and if so, is it still safe to use?

cmdtrgd said:
What happens in the dishwasher is the clear coat on the metal will get cracked due to the change in temperature and then the metal will oxidize. This can also happen if she scrubs it in very hot water. Unfortunately, since she uses it for commercial use, the warranty is not valid.

Thanks for letting me know about the warranty part.... that is good to know.. I will get in touch with her tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I had the same thing happen to me this week. It was the first time I put the
ice cream scoop in my dishwasher, by mistake. It looks weird now with patches of dark spots. I'm sure it still works but I don't like the appearance
to show at my shows.

They will also turn really dark if you leave them in water, like soaking or in your dish water. I had a friend and hers turned so dark it looked black, she dosen't have a dishwasher but her son keep putting it in water to soak. I thought I read somewhere that putting it in the dishwater does something to the liquid in the handle (causes it not to activate as well).

The black stuff is oxidized metal which is not the best thing to be ingesting. I highly suggest you get another one and throw the one with th pepper flakes away.

I have had mine for almost 3 years and it's never been in the dishwasher or soaked in water and it is getting darker by the month...we do use it a lot and I need to get a new one to take to shows but I do think that they don't stay as pretty as it was when it was new just from normal use.

The Use and Care says to hand wash the ice cream scoop. I also understand that the dishwasher can damage the liquid inside. I've had customers ruin their ice cream scoops by putting them in the dishwasher. Others haven't had any problem. It probably depends on how hot the water is.I think there's a difference between the natural darkening that happens with use and the drastic change that happens when the coating is damaged. If it's the latter, I would replace it.

If you leave it in any kind of water for a little while it will turn black. I bet what she's doing is leaving it in a small bucket of water. I used to work at a ice cream shop and our ic scoops weren't pc but we left them in water to get the other ice cream off, etc. Most any ice cream place will do this. You may want to ask her if she does this and if she does tell her to stop and just rinse it off each time she uses it instead of putting it in water.

HTH,

1. Why is my ice cream scoop turning brown?

The most common reason for ice cream scoop discoloration is due to a reaction between the metal scoop and the high sugar content in ice cream. This reaction can also be accelerated by exposure to heat and air.

2. How can I prevent my ice cream scoop from discoloring?

To prevent discoloration, it is important to clean your ice cream scoop after each use. Rinse it with hot water and wipe it dry before storing it. You can also try using a plastic or coated scoop to avoid the metal-sugar reaction.

3. Can I still use a discolored ice cream scoop?

While discoloration may not affect the functionality of your ice cream scoop, it is not recommended to use a discolored scoop for food safety reasons. It is best to replace the scoop to ensure the safety of your customers.

4. Are there any cleaning solutions specifically for discolored ice cream scoops?

Yes, there are cleaning solutions available specifically for removing discoloration from ice cream scoops. These products are typically made with citric acid or other food-safe ingredients and can be found at kitchen supply stores.

5. How often should I replace my ice cream scoop?

The lifespan of an ice cream scoop can vary depending on usage and cleaning habits. It is recommended to replace your scoop every 6-12 months to ensure food safety and prevent discoloration.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mspibb
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • darlinclem