1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Transporting the Ice cream maker

1. mspibb

mspibb Member Gold Member

Last night a friend of mine cooked an early birthday dinner for me and I took the ice cream maker. I waited to take it out of my deep freeze until we were leaving. It's about a 10 minute drive and we put it in her drawer freezer as soon as I got there. Put my ingredients in her fridge and didn't start the ice cream until after we ate. I have made ice cream a bunch of times but this batch never even got all the way to soft serve. Normally the outside of the bowl is frost covered through the process but last night it was not. The ambient temperature was probably cooler even than other times I've taken it somewhere.
    Anybody have a good way to keep the bowl cold while transporting?

Aug 5, 2017
  2. scottcooks

scottcooks Veteran Member Gold Member

It would take some engineering to do - but a double-garbage bag system with ice and salt in the outer bag, nothing but your cold bowl in the inner bag. The ice melts the salt and the resulting water is actually below freezing, can't freeze b/c the salt changes the chemistry, water then freezes at something like 16 degrees. Here FYI

From my experience, be sure your base is chilled - overnight works best.

Aug 8, 2017
  3. mspibb

mspibb Member Gold Member

Well, base was the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla recipe and and it was refrigerated. I think part of the issue was host did not have deep freeze. I don't think a regular freezer on a refrigerator is cold enough!

Aug 9, 2017
  4. I have travelled with mine as well. I do freeze mine in our refrigerator freezer overnight but when I travel with it I put it into a cooler bag with ice in the middle of the bowl & then I dump the ice when I get there & put it into the freezer as soon as I get to the host's house. Sometimes the trip can take up to 35 min. This has always worked in the past.

mspibb likes this.
Have something to add?