• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why *Exactly* Can't the Ice Cream Scoop Go in the Dishwasher?

The ice cream scoop can only be put in the dishwasher if the instructions say not to. The de-icing solution in the ice cream scoop is not supposed to get above 170 degrees, and if left in water it tarnishes it.
ChefJoyJ
At a past show, I had a guest ask me why can't they put the ice cream scoop in the dishwasher. I was stumped. I know it's in the U&C, and has something to do with the chemicals inside it, but I also know people who have put their's in the DW, still works fine, just isn't a pretty.

It's the same group of people at my show tonight...so I thought I'd ask my knowledgable cheffer friends...why exactly can't you put the ice cream scoop in the DW? This way, I'm covered if it comes up again. :)

eventually the chemicals will dry up inside, maybe not the first time in the dishwasher nor the second or third time but it will... then they will come to a party and gripe about how sorry the ice cream scoop is because it doesn't work... been there done that...

the heat will break the seal on the bottom. The chemicals inside will either ooze out or dry up, rendering the scoop pretty useless at that point.

Thanks guys!! I didn't know about the seal...definitely useful knowledge!! :)

Years ago, I had one and made that mistake - afterward, every time I scooped ice cream, gray from the scoop rubbed off into the ice cream. Ugh! So from experience, I'd have to say the coating comes off and mixes with food.

"Because the instructions say NOT to!!" What is so HARD people ?! (Not directed at consultants, but at customers who can't read! :D) If their kids asked "WHY?!" they'd probably snap back "Because I said so, THAT's why!" Don't you wish you could do that?? *lol*

The de-icing solution in the ice cream scoop is not supposed to get above 170 degrees and most people have their water turned up higher than that, therefore... as a precaution don't put it in there. Also, if left in water it tarnishes it.

Sometimes you can get lucky and it will still work from being in DW, but I have never put mine in.

I've even had mine react (color changing) just sitting in my ss sink, and when I did a return on my own and asked when I called it in, I was told it will react with other metals.

I tell people to treasure it, use it and put it away safely.

My kids will see my use it, wash it, dry it, and put it in the TTA.

So at BD parties, they'll remind me, Mom's it's still on the paper plate, don't you need to go wash it off and put it away?

Lisa

My babysitter this weekend, used it and left it sitting in the sink, now it has a couple little spots on it... I have 2, my old one for home and my new one to take to shows, she used the new one, now I don't have a perfect one anymore. Oh well, I made sure and told that in the future she needs to wash and dry it right away and put it back... Live and learn!

Did a show on Sunday afternoon and my hostess said to me, "Lisa, don't let me forget to add a new Ice Cream scoop to my order when we close, Chad put it in dishwasher again!"

She said, "If only I could train him not to do that!!"

It was horrible, I should have asked her if I could keep it to show at my shows and why NOT to do it, it was almost black instead of the pretty silver.

Lisa

1. Why can't I put my ice cream scoop in the dishwasher?

The heat and harsh detergent used in dishwashers can damage the metal coating on your ice cream scoop, causing it to rust or tarnish. This can also affect the sharpness and effectiveness of the scoop, making it difficult to scoop ice cream cleanly.

2. What will happen if I put my ice cream scoop in the dishwasher?

As mentioned before, the heat and detergent can cause damage to the metal coating on your ice cream scoop. It can also cause the scoop to become dull and less effective in scooping ice cream. Additionally, if your scoop has a wooden or plastic handle, it can warp or crack in the dishwasher's high heat.

3. Can I hand wash my ice cream scoop instead of putting it in the dishwasher?

Yes, we recommend hand washing your ice cream scoop with warm water and mild soap. This will help prevent any damage to the metal coating and keep your scoop in good condition for longer.

4. Is there a special way I should clean my ice cream scoop?

We suggest rinsing your ice cream scoop in warm water immediately after use and wiping it dry with a soft cloth. If there is any stubborn residue, you can use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub it away. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on your scoop.

5. How can I ensure my ice cream scoop lasts a long time?

Aside from avoiding the dishwasher, there are a few other tips to keep your ice cream scoop in good condition. Always let it come to room temperature before using it, as scooping ice cream with a cold scoop can cause the metal to crack. Also, avoid using your scoop for other purposes, such as digging into hard ice cream or scraping frozen desserts, as this can cause damage and dull the scoop.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Becca_in_MD
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • thehaleykitchen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
thehaleykitchen
  • esavvymom