• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Humiliated by Host: A Story of Ego-Blow

In summary, Carolyn's host was unresponsive to Carolyn's messages and refused to speak with her. Leslie's host's son answered the phone and was rude to Carolyn. Leslie then proceeded to tell Carolyn that she was making her own invitations and Carolyn didn't need to do them.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
I had a definate blow to my ego last night. I called a host that I have been trying which seems like forever to get in contact with her. I left her several messages telling her that I needed her guest list before I went on vacation next week so I could get them out before I left. Still had not heard back from her. I decided to call her again last night. Her teenage son answered the phone. I asked for her, he asked who was calling, I told him. He then said "Mom, Leslie Donoho is on the phone..and I really don't like the way she talks." Umm. excuse me...I was nice as pie and she didn't even acknowledge that she knew I heard him. She then proceeded to tell me that she was making up her own invitations and I don't need to do them or give her any PC ones..nevermind the fact that she has NEVER done a home party before, just attended them. I think it will be a decent show regardless because she is a family member of a friend who's family family spends alot on PC.
Sorry for the long post. I am trying to amp myself up to make more phone calls today. I couldn't make another one after that last night because I was second guessing myself wondering what was wrong with the way I speak.

Ewwww!!
What's his obnoxious issue with the way you talk?
I had a host about 2 years ago. She was impossible to reach by phone - I would leave her 2 messages a week. Her DH was SO rude every time I would call. One time I called and asked him to PLEASE let her know I needed to hear back from her by __ date in order to hold her show date otherwise I had to open up the date to another potential host. He started YELLING at me "You know what Miss...my wife doesnt even want to do this show with you. She thinks you're pushy. She's just holding the party because she feels sorry for you and as a matter of fact when I tell her about today's conversation I am sure she'll cancel. So you may as well give away her date."
I was FLOORED. I called my husband in tears. A few hours later, the wife called me. She was mortified. She explained that her DH is a real prick. That she does not feel ANY Of the things he said she feels. That she seldom got my messages BECAUSE he is such a prick, that she has one foot out the door to leave him and he knows it so he is making life hell for her, etc etc...I mean, what a freakshow these people were!
I tturned out to be a REALLY fast show - i was in & out - like 7pm-9pm because she needed me gone before he came home at 9:30...and it was over $800 ni sales. But MY GOSH - what a loony bin!

This is a great example of why you need to talk to people directly instead of taking someone opinion or gossip for truth. WOW!! Carolyn-that would be horrid! I hate when people treat others that way. Leslie- Most kids don't really get that they are being rude or inappropriate. For all you know, he was just trying to annoy his Mom who has now blocked his rudeness out completely vs going insane. Don't worry about it and if you can't help it, practice on a friend and tell them to be honest or it's punishable by...hmm...maybe offer chocolate as a reward. My guess it was just teenage garbage mouth.

Holy cow!!! I have a hard time not taking things personally such as this. No wonder you're second-guessing yourself, but try to take a deep breath and move past it. Onto bigger and better hosts!!

And, Carolyn, that experience would have had me mortified too and in tears.:(

Thought I'd add a quick story...I had a host that was taking forever to close out her show. It wasn't even a great show, but I hate when guests wait too long for their orders. I called this woman and left messages but never knew if she was even getting them. She worked full time and I couldn't call her at work. She checked her email very rarely. I'd call when I thought she'd be home from work, but would almost always get the machine. I finally got a hold of her boyfriend, whom she lived with. I had stressed that I really needed to speak with her (although said it nicely) and he went off, saying she didn't NEED to do anything, blah blah blah. I don't even think he knew who I was. It was so bad, I thought I might have had the wrong number! When I realized it WAS the right number (after I hung up after saying I was sorry I must have the wrong #), I remembered that the guy was quite a drinker and passed out most nights by 9 or something. So I realized he must've been drunk (slurring and stuff too). I did get in touch with the host in the next couple days and closed out the show without even mentioning it. I bet the guy didn't even remember. I remember how horrible I felt though being berated and that is NOT fun.

I really feel that lots of these people have many other issues!! I suppose this is where bless and release comes in, but it's hard when you've been personally attacked/offended.:(

Ladies, the people who make those types of comments about you are really saying much more about themselves then they are about you. Once the shock wears off, treat it as what it is--nonsense.

I agree that we don't know what is going on in other households, your call may have been just after a call for the son and the Mom may have said the same thing about the son's friend and he was just getting her back. Don't worry...there will be other calls that will wash that taste right out of your mouth. Keep smilin cause it will happen.

Ladies, the people who make those types of comments about you are really saying much more about themselves then they are about you. Once the shock wears off, treat it as what it is--nonsense.

Boy are you right about that!!! We just had a rough day at work today with some crazy customers (Friday and the 1st of the month at the bank is a bad combination! :) ) I will definitely remember that line next time one of my employees is upset over a rude customer!!

1. How does the story of "Humiliated by Host" relate to Pampered Chef?

The story of "Humiliated by Host" is a cautionary tale about the dangers of ego and the importance of treating others with respect. While it may not have a direct connection to Pampered Chef, it serves as a reminder to always prioritize kindness and humility in our interactions with others, both in a personal and professional setting.

2. Is this story based on a true event?

Yes, "Humiliated by Host" is based on a true event that happened to a Pampered Chef consultant. However, the names and specific details have been changed for privacy reasons.

3. What lessons can be learned from "Humiliated by Host"?

The main lesson from this story is the importance of humility and treating others with kindness and respect. It also serves as a reminder to not let our egos get in the way of our relationships and to always prioritize the well-being of others.

4. How can Pampered Chef consultants avoid similar situations?

To avoid similar situations, it is important for Pampered Chef consultants to always communicate clearly with their hosts and set expectations beforehand. It is also crucial to maintain a positive attitude and prioritize the well-being of the host and guests above personal ego or agenda.

5. Can this story be used as a training tool for Pampered Chef consultants?

Yes, "Humiliated by Host" can be used as a training tool for Pampered Chef consultants to emphasize the importance of humility, clear communication, and prioritizing the well-being of others. It can also serve as a reminder to always represent the company in a positive and professional manner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • Rosebud
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
cookinforyou
  • ChefMommyof3Boys