• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Help My Depressed Husband Struggling with Alcoholism?

I am so sorry to hear that your husband is struggling with alcohol addiction. I hope that he can find the help he needs and that you can support him through this.
Trish in Texas
Gold Member
My husband is feeling very depressed, almost suicidal today (due to his drinking problem). I'm at work all day at a part-time job so I can't be with him. Please pray for him. Thanks.

Trish

BIG (((hugs))) sweetie! Is there anyone you can send to go talk to him right now? Don't let him be alone right now if at all possible!

You could call a local chapter of AA & someone would go over....

Both of you are in my prayers.

Hi sugar! You can NOT ignore this! It's your responsibility to get him some help because in his current state, he can't help himself. Yes, I'm sure he's going to be angry, argumentative, etc, etc, to infinity.....but wouldn't you rather he was alive to BE mad at you? Call someone NOW. Don't wait, do it NOW! Hugs:)

Just wondering how he's doing?

Trish, I just saw this, but I'm praying. Please give us an update.

I am so sorry you are going through this! {Hugs} And, I agree getting help is a big step!

He's doing better...got back on some anti-depressants the doctor prescribed. As to the drinking, we will see. I've turned him over to God on that issue because I know I can't do anything about it. I'm just making positive affirmations..."I have a nice, clean, sober husband who is happy and successful and loves me very much and is truthful and straightforward." He's been sneaking out in the middle of the night to get beer but, at least he's stoppsd taking the car to do it. He has no license and I don't carry insurance on him for that reason. With beer in the car, he'd really get wapped if he got stopped.

Trish

Glad to know he is feeling a little better. That must have been very scary for you both. Praying now for a complete healing of his spirit.

Are you active in a church? Is there some men who can "come alongside him" that have been where he is? I know in my church, we have deacons who will do just that...in a loving spirit with no "condemnation! Praying for you and him!

Oh, you can definitely do an intervention. My BIL, his 3 siblings and his mother did it to his father. The father wasn't too happy about it, but agreed to go to rehab. They already had his suitcase packed, they loaded him into the vehicle & drove him to a facility that they had already spoken to prior to the intervention. There are definitely ways to make your demands known. BIG (((hugs))) at no point is it fair for you to have to go through this. I hope that he can decide that you and your life together is more important than the alcohol and that he is able to make a decision to find the help that he needs.

1. How can I support my husband who is dealing with depression?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I am not a mental health professional, but here are a few tips that may help. First, educate yourself about depression and its symptoms. This will help you better understand what your husband is going through. Secondly, be patient and understanding. Depression can be a long and difficult journey, so be there for your husband and listen to his feelings without judgment. Lastly, encourage your husband to seek professional help and offer to go with him to appointments if he feels comfortable.

2. Is there anything I can cook or bake that may help improve my husband's mood?

While there is no specific food that can cure depression, maintaining a healthy and balanced diet can have a positive impact on mental health. Try cooking meals with plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. Avoid processed foods and sugary treats, as they can contribute to mood swings. Additionally, incorporating omega-3 fatty acids, found in foods like salmon and walnuts, may also be beneficial for those with depression.

3. How can I talk to my husband about his depression without making him feel judged or criticized?

It can be challenging to discuss mental health with a loved one, but the key is to approach the conversation with empathy and understanding. Start by expressing your concern for your husband's well-being and let him know that you are there to support him. Avoid using accusatory language and instead, focus on listening and validating his feelings. Remind him that depression is a medical condition and not a personal weakness.

4. Are there any resources or support groups for spouses of those with depression?

Yes, there are various support groups and resources available for spouses of individuals with depression. You can start by researching local support groups in your area or seeking online forums and communities. Additionally, many mental health organizations offer resources and guidance for family members and loved ones of those with depression. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help and support for yourself as well.

5. How can I take care of my own well-being while supporting my husband through his depression?

It is essential to prioritize your own self-care while supporting a loved one with depression. Make sure to take breaks when needed, seek support from friends and family, and engage in activities that bring you joy and relaxation. Don't hesitate to seek therapy or counseling for yourself if needed. Remember, you cannot pour from an empty cup, and taking care of yourself will ultimately benefit your husband and your relationship.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
dkitten13
  • Trish in Texas
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Trish in Texas
  • Kitchen2u
  • General Chat
Replies