• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Have a Really Good Yard Sale?

In summary, people who have raised money for National Conference by having yard sales report that they have had poor results. Others who have raised money by selling their belongings on Clean Sweep report that they have made hundreds of dollars. However, it is more cost-effective to sell at a flea market.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I've heard a lot of people say they had a yard sale to raise money for National Conference. I've also seen people on Clean Sweep make HUNDREDS of dollars selling their junk.

Every yard sale I've ever had has been a flop and barely paid for my time, let alone the ad.

Has anyone done this successfully? How did you do it?

Is it more cost-effective to just sell your stuff at the flea market?

I do have an idea for an ad that I ripped off from one of these threads:

"Help get my roomate to Pampered Chef National Conference and get her out of my hair! She has a lot of junk that is totally cluttering up this house, including stuff she used to cook with before she started selling Pampered Chef. Stuff that will be sold includes ...."

I for one, sell at flea markets. I do not buy there because they always have JUNK! (A home yard sale costs more money to list in the newspaper around $40-50.) One table at a flea market is $7. (but we usually splurge and get two tables).

DH and I never leave the flea market with LESS then $100 bucks everytime and we joke that we are the upper class section of the flea market because we dont sell junk. LOL

You have to know how to haggle there, if you want $5 for the item, quote $7 and they will come down to $5. (I am good at it, DH not so much).

I am waiting for warm weather (and DH to have a free weekend) so we can go again. Its fun, we're together, and we're making some spending cash. What more is there to ask!

If you do a home sale, advertising is the key. I would recommend a newspaper ad (ask your neighbors if they want to chip in and hold one for themselves, split one ad) You'll get more lookers that way. Signs should be bold and bright.

good luck!

~~ You've got to pick the right day of the month...like the first Sat after the 1st. I never do both days...Saturdays are the best around here. I only do it from 7 AM - 11AM...after that the traffic slows down a lot.

~~ SIGNAGE!!! I put Garage Sale and arrows on my signs...that's it. I post at major intersections and they follow the signs to my house.

I don't advertise in paper...

Usually do about $700-$1200 per sale! Haven't donw one in a long time...maybe it's time!

Good luck!

Craigslist is a great way to advertise for free. There are also grage sale sites that help you get organized and tell you where to list. And I agree with signs with arrows. Last weekend I couldnt find a garage sale in my own neighborhood (all they listed was the address) I finally entered it into my gps and found it that way. Arrows are a must!

I'm going to do a yard sale for Conference too.
I've done a ton of yard sales, but never one in order to raise funds for something. My yard sales have always been successful, but we usually are selling furniture or electronics that don't work, but we know they can be fixed easily (we always tell the shoppers too).
I also noticed that when I put an ad in the paper, I get WAY more shoppers.
I will advertise mine as a Yard Sale Fundraiser, so some will just come to buy to help out.

Big Bright signs.....
Do you live on a major road? If yes, that's helps tons!! Last year we did a yard sale and in 2 days, we got over $1,000!! If not, definately have an ad in the paper. We always do an ad, because there are people who open the paper to the Garage Sale ads & make a plan on which ones to go to. Key words to use (but only if you have them!) are antiques, old dishes, linens, furniture......even baby equipment, that kind of thing!!
We'll be doing one, probably in April, cause people around here are getting cabin fever & are soooo ready for garage saleing, so we'll get them at a perfect time!!
GOOD LUCK! Let us know how you do!!

When we have them, we hang up signs a week before at every intersecting road that leads to our road. Put arrows, the address, date(s) and time.

I've also seen people say "Baby items, kitchen items, *whatever else you're selling*"

I don't live ON a major road but I live right off one ... in the past if we could get the signs to stay up, it helped if we could put them at the top of the street.They fall over pretty easily, though.I work for a newspaper so I get some free advertising ... but I think I'd still have to pay for an ad in the big newspaper that serves the city where I actually live.My brother does a lot of flea marketing ... he says Memorial Day is CRAZY busy. They usually camp out overnight to reserve their space.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I don't live ON a major road but I live right off one ... in the past if we could get the signs to stay up, it helped if we could put them at the top of the street.

They fall over pretty easily, though.

I work for a newspaper so I get some free advertising ... but I think I'd still have to pay for an ad in the big newspaper that serves the city where I actually live.

My brother does a lot of flea marketing ... he says Memorial Day is CRAZY busy. They usually camp out overnight to reserve their space.

I live "off and in some" from a major road...they just follow the signs...BRIGHT poster boards too...

Duck tape or glass filament tape works GREAT!

Tried duct tape. It didn't stick. It's VERY windy on that street. Not to mention that you can't put your sign on the stop sign ... can't put it on the bus stop and you're really not supposed to put it on the street sign ... so you're stuck nailing a sign into the ground. I find it comes off the stake or the stake comes down ...Any ideas on what sells and what doesn't? I've been thinking of unloading my vintage laptop ... the hard drive is fried but it is fixable by somebody who knows how ... I've been told it's worth fixing but nobody seems to know how. Also have some vintage tupperware and kitchen stuff ...

Electronics, furniture, glassware, clothes and books go but you have to sell them very, very cheap or your regular yard sale shoppers won't even bother, kids toys. That's all I can think of now.

I have done a few - local newpapers will advertise for small amounts - I also put flyers in supermarkets as well -

Everything sells - kids clothes, toys, candle accessories, kitchenwares, old curtains, maternity clothes, tools - Just put out what you don't want and hope for the best - donate the leftovers -

The best thing that works for me is to find someone who is having a yard sale (obviously before conference) and advertise it as a "Multi -Family" or "neighborhood" yardsale. Have everyone pitch in on one newspaper ad and then do your signs. make sure they're bright and contrast in color (Yellow poster board with black marker).

My yard sale last year I racked in over $500. I did 2 yard sales though.

best of luck!

We always hit $800 ~ $1,000 I hold it on Thurs. - Sat. from 8 -4 (I do put in the ad no EARLY BIRDS) paperback novels & kids books sell well,
if you have clothes, bedding or any other soft items invest in a quilting baster (little "gun" you can buy in the notions dept at Walmart or fabric store) they are about $20 & will last forever. I make price tags on small squares from index cards and attach them with the baster (keeps customers from switching the tape or neon garage sale stickers & it does happen)I never take a check and keep $$ on me in a fanny pack which I do empty regularly into a spot in the house.

Last edited:
we do list a rain date in our ad to prevent from placing the ad the following week if it rains
I do buy the stakes at Home Depot and my husband nails the signs to it (he has some type of tack with a small metal square so it doesn't rip off in the wind)
check with your city to see if they require a permit to either hold a sale or put out signs.

OK, I REALLY need to have a rummage sale...it's all the prep work that has prevented me in the past...Or is it time period???Or that fact that I wasn't "sure" if I'd have another kid... (settled now...)I ended up giving away most of my kids clothes to friends or family that needed them...less hassle and I knew they'd get used...

I had a yard sale last year...Fri, Sat and Sun...made over $600

BUT...I lived on a very busy street last year. No need to advertise other than a sign in the front yard. I will admit - Friday was the best day, over $300 that day alone.

I will be doing it again this year, but I don't live at that house anymore (BUMMER:( ), however - my girlfriend does still live on that street. So we will set up at her house.

And - we can add Pampered Chef to the mix YEAH!! :D

The best way to make a LOT of money is to price things cheap! We do one every other year and I have never made less than $1000!!! We tend to underprice things, but we usually sell EVERYTHING! I am of the opinion that I would rather get 50 cents for something then have to find a place to put it back in my house!

Good Luck!!!!

When I lived in Ohio, Thursday and Friday were the best days. Do not even waste you time on a Saturday. The one I had before we moved I made about $700 on Friday and $12 on Sat. I have done tons of yard sales over the years and I believe people will buy ANYTHING if it is priced right.

I've had some one buy our Coca Cola park bench that was in my yard

I think that it's all in location!! I live in a well established neighborhood and there are usually some others having yard sales at the same time, so I get those die-hard yard salers that start at like 6 in the morning and shop until about 11-12. We have a couple different classified papers that we can advertise in for free and they're the ones everyone grabs to look for yard sales, so we're lucky that way!!
Good Luck!!!

So how much do you guys price things for? Say like kids books. kids clothes, womens clothes (like business casual stuff), purses, etc. I need some round-about figures. We are planning to have one in a few weeks.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
cheap cheap cheap! Also people like to feel like they're getting a deal! So if you are getting rid of socks, instead of selling them at 25 cents a pair, throw a bunch in a bag and try to sell the whole bag for $1.00 or so. Do this with jewelry, beads, hair accessories, old makeup or perfume, etc. Even people who don't want everything in the bag will buy it anyways because they feel like they're getting a deal! :D Trust me this works! This is coming from a long-time yard sale and thrift store guru!

My inlaws as a retirement hobby would buy bargins at garage sales, bring it home, replace the price tag with double or tripple the amount, put it in the garage and about every six months they would have their own sale. They made a lot of extra money that way.

I buy bargins at garage sales and sell it on ebay.

so when you have your garage sales do you ever get rid of extra PC stuff that you have and if you do what do you price it at to get rid of it without losing too much money?

JoLynn

First of all, I'd recommend that you take the word "junk" out of your ad. ;)

I agree with the "neighborhood" sale. If you can get several families to join, people will hit your area first. Even if it's just 2 or 3 families ... make sure you put "2 Family" or "3 Family Yard Sale" (or "Garage Sale") in your ad.

I also agree with the arrow signs. Just a small BRIGHT sign that says "Yard Sale" with a big black arrow. Don't put the address! The more they have to read the harder it is while driving. If you have several routes to your house, start at the busy intersections & work your way in. Make sure that there's a big arrow sign at EVERY turn.

I always have a "25 Cent" area. You can put "free" on the box and people will walk by it. But you put "25 cents each" on the box and people will dig through it.

My favorite thing is to be unpacking a box when cars drive by. They will stop because they want to see what no one else has seen thus far. When you have a lull, fill up the box again & wait for the next car to drive by. LOL It actually works! People will buy stuff from the box that they otherwise would walk by and/or drive by. (I know, I'm bad!)

Sheila said:
My favorite thing is to be unpacking a box when cars drive by. They will stop because they want to see what no one else has seen thus far. When you have a lull, fill up the box again & wait for the next car to drive by. LOL It actually works! People will buy stuff from the box that they otherwise would walk by and/or drive by. (I know, I'm bad!)

Yes, this is sooo true!

I just can't get up early enough to do a garage sale. Why can't they start at about 11am?!

Chef Kearns said:
I just can't get up early enough to do a garage sale. Why can't they start at about 11am?!

The big thing around here lately is to do them on a Thursday Evening, and then a Friday during the day.

So they are from 6-9 on Thursday, and 9-3 on Friday....do you have kids old enough to watch it for a bit on Friday morning?

Not really. My boys are 9 and 10 and while they probably could that is not something I would trust them with.

OK, so for all you yard sale gurus, does putting "No Early Birds" in the ad in the paper really work? Or will this turn off the die hard yard salers? What is the etiquette involved in this?

jbachen said:
OK, so for all you yard sale gurus, does putting "No Early Birds" in the ad in the paper really work? Or will this turn off the die hard yard salers? What is the etiquette involved in this?

No it doesn't work, people will still start showing up and driving by really slowly waiting for you to put stuff out. People are thrilled when they think they are the first to look through all of your stuff.

We just did a yard sale this last saturday and we did 2900.00 and the only really big item was a fourwheeler but we also had alot of house hold items and then i did clothes a 1.00 a bag and that went over well and I think besides some pickup tires that was priced 120.00 and the fourwheeler at 2000.00 the next highest priced item was a set of 3 home interiors pictures for 50.00 we did it on the 1st saturday of the month and our town was have a city wide yard sale. and I think i aslo priced some things low just to get ride of them I only had just a few boxes left of things. That we took to good will.

1. "Has anyone successfully raised money for National Conference through a yard sale?"

Yes, many Pampered Chef consultants have had successful yard sales to raise money for National Conference. It's all about planning and executing it effectively.

2. "How can I make sure my yard sale is a success?"

First, choose a good date and time for your sale, typically on a weekend when more people are out and about. Advertise your sale in advance through social media, word of mouth, and local ads. Make sure to have plenty of signs directing people to your sale. Also, have a good variety of items at reasonable prices.

3. "Is it better to sell at a flea market instead of having a yard sale?"

It really depends on your location and the type of items you have. Flea markets can be a good option if you have a lot of items to sell and a good location, but they also often require a booth fee. Yard sales can be more cost-effective, but it's important to choose a good location and advertise effectively.

4. "What are some tips for creating a successful yard sale ad?"

First, make sure to include the date, time, and location of your yard sale. Use attention-grabbing words like "huge," "multi-family," or "moving" to attract potential buyers. Mention some of the items you will be selling, such as home goods, clothing, and collectibles. And don't forget to include a call to action, such as "Don't miss out on these great deals!"

5. "Can I use my Pampered Chef products to attract buyers to my yard sale?"

Absolutely! You can use your Pampered Chef products as a selling point in your ad and during the sale. For example, you can offer discounts on gently used or discontinued products, or demonstrate how to use them in the kitchen. This can attract both Pampered Chef fans and those who are looking for quality kitchen items.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• COOKINWITHSHERRI
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
algdoughty
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ivykeep
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies