• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Holiday Foods You Enjoy or Hate and Your Story Behind Them...

In summary, Janet's aunt used to bring Cannibal Sandwiches to her Grandma's House EVERY Christmas Eve, but those sandwiches were loved by only one of Janet's grandparents. My grandpa and dad especially loved them, and my grandpa died of bone cancer shortly after getting them for Christmas. Dad enjoyed the sandwich tradition when he could, before he died from amyloidosis. Today, Janet had some herring for lunch in memory of her father and grandfather.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
First, the one I HATE!!!!
My aunt used to bring Cannibal Sandwiches to my Grandma's House EVERY Christmas Eve. We know it was just to torture us all because she was THE ONLY one in the whole family to eat them...she is just that kind of person...

The one I like but my immediately family hates...
Herring in Wine Sauce

My grandpa and dad loved it. When my grandpa was dying of prostrate/bone cancer and couldn't recognize us anymore but still alive, I got him a jar of herring for Christmas. He ended up only living about 2-3 more weeks. My aunt (same aunt above) ridiculed me (I was only 14) for the gift numerous times saying how stupid and cheap it was. Well, my grandma told me later that was one of grandpa's favorite things that year. In my child's mind, I was trying to get him something he'd recognize still and enjoy, not THINGS.

3 years ago, about the same time in January, my dad died of amyloidosis. That Christmas Dad and I got to enjoy our "herring" tradition. Dad hated most foods during chemo treatments but there was a gap where he actually enjoyed the herring.

So, today, I had some in memory of my dad and grandpa. :D Much to the annoyance of my family...he-he...who can't stand the smell/taste of it.

WHAT are cannibal sandwiches?!?!?

cmdtrgd said:
WHAT are cannibal sandwiches?!?!?

A sandwich with raw meat, usually served with a sliced onion, very popular in the day in Wisconsin (at least that's what I found when I googled it).

leftymac said:
A sandwich with raw meat, usually served with a sliced onion, very popular in the day in Wisconsin (at least that's what I found when I googled it).

Yeah, she usually brought rye bread and 1/2 lb. of raw ground beef. She always skipped the onion...

...and yeah, we live in WI...

Thankfully no one in my family makes anything I don't like... I'm anti-greenbean casserole, but I don't dislike one thing that is served.

As far as my likes- well as long as it doesn't have dill, cilantro or mushrooms in it- I'm pretty easy going. :)

my mom used to make cinnamon rolls while my brother & I opened gifts on Christmas morning... & now I do the same for my family!

I think green bean casserole is vile. My stepmom asked me to make it for our celebration with my dad and her because my (half) brother asked for it. Well, I made it and he didn't even eat any!!!! I had one bite and thought it was so gross. If he wasn't going to eat, I would have made something else.

Ground round. Mmmmmmm..."Cannibal sandwiches" are one of my favorite things! (BTW, The Kat Lady and I go around and around about this - she thinks a steak should be the consistency of a hockey puck while I tell her it should moo when you cut into it.) I used to enjoy the herring, too, Ma Bensch's, although I preferred the creamed to the pickled. After chemo, I can't tolerate the taste.The herring is more of a New Year's Eve tradition, though, although anytime is fine.Janet, you did the right thing. I know it would bother me to be chastised for doing the right thing, but you were right to try to bring a little enjoyment into a show that was coming to the final curtain. Bravo! In a previous life, "we" used to buy "dinner" for the elderly aunties, a standing rib roast, fresh veggies like cauliflower or broccoli, huge potatoes, sour cream and some kind of dessert. What do three little ol' ladies need with more stuff?One of our family's meal traditions was creamed onions, my mother made great onions. My sister in law always used to make them for Thanksgiving but doesn't anymore. :( She does make Mom's other holiday specialty, though, Egg Nog Pie. YUM!

I made creamed onions for our family's dinner, today. It is one of my favorites. The other is my Mom's pecan cinnamon rolls which my daughter made this time, and she
said that she had passed the torch to the next generation by teaching her son to make them this year. He will be 16 on Jan. 1st. It made the meal really special to be serving recipes that we originally had when my mother-in-law and my Mom were alive.

I would have passed on the herring, sorry.

My mom and grandmother enjoy an occasional jar of creamed herring. I haven't ever tried it. But then, I'm not a huge fan of fish.I'm also in the "green bean casserole is vile" camp. I like green beans, and I like cream of mushroom soup, but I gag on those little fried onions. Blech. Luckily, that casserole isn't on the traditional foods list for either family.DH's aunt and grandmother make homemade pierogi for Christmas Eve dinner. Unfortunately, we only go to their Christmas Eve gathering every 5 years or so. Their pierogi are really good. But they also usually serve chinina (not sure of the spelling - it's a Polish word, so the English spelling is a transliteration). Chinina is duck soup that includes the blood. YUK!

I LOVE Green Bean Casserole! But, I also love cilantro, dill, and mushrooms!

(note to self: remember to invite Kacey only for dessert!:p)

I hate "jello salad". This has many incarnations, but all of them involve jello, fruit, and cool whip. Some have nuts, or marshmallows, or coconut....or all of the above. In DH's family, it appears in some form at every family meal.

My favorite foods from the Holidays are Breakfast Casserole (just ate leftover for breakfast!) and Russian T-Balls.

The Breakfast Casserole is a recipe I got from the camp I worked at as a Teen, and I've made it for Christmas Morning Brunch since then!

Russian T-Balls have been our family favorite Christmas Cookie for as long as I can remember.

ChefBeckyD said:

I hate "jello salad". This has many incarnations, but all of them involve jello, fruit, and cool whip. Some have nuts, or marshmallows, or coconut....or all of the above. In DH's family, it appears in some form at every family meal.

My favorite foods from the Holidays are Breakfast Casserole (just ate leftover for breakfast!) and Russian T-Balls.

The Breakfast Casserole is a recipe I got from the camp I worked at as a Teen, and I've made it for Christmas Morning Brunch since then!

Russian T-Balls have been our family favorite Christmas Cookie for as long as I can remember.

I'm with you on the jello thing, I really don't like jello plain but stop putting all the fruit in it! My grandma makes this like 20 layered jello thing every year. It likes nice and all but I've never ate it.

I also LOVE green bean casserole, one of my favorites. My sister made a dinner recipe out of it a long time ago. You make ground beef, mix in the cream of mushroom. Layer the beef in the bottom of a casserole pan, top with green beans, then motz cheese and of course the french onions for the last 5 minutes, it's fabulous and beats the normal green bean casserole any day.
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Ground round. Mmmmmmm...

"Cannibal sandwiches" are one of my favorite things! (BTW, The Kat Lady and I go around and around about this - she thinks a steak should be the consistency of a hockey puck while I tell her it should moo when you cut into it.)

I used to enjoy the herring, too, Ma Bensch's, although I preferred the creamed to the pickled. After chemo, I can't tolerate the taste.

The herring is more of a New Year's Eve tradition, though, although anytime is fine.

Janet, you did the right thing. I know it would bother me to be chastised for doing the right thing, but you were right to try to bring a little enjoyment into a show that was coming to the final curtain. Bravo!

In a previous life, "we" used to buy "dinner" for the elderly aunties, a standing rib roast, fresh veggies like cauliflower or broccoli, huge potatoes, sour cream and some kind of dessert. What do three little ol' ladies need with more stuff?

One of our family's meal traditions was creamed onions, my mother made great onions. My sister in law always used to make them for Thanksgiving but doesn't anymore. :(

She does make Mom's other holiday specialty, though, Egg Nog Pie. YUM!

DH has perfected the "hockey puck" steak for me. So many people think that when you want your steak well done that they just need to charboil it until it's hard and black. DH has figured out the technique to making my steak well done but still juicy and tastey!

Herring makes me think of my Grandma. She always had it on her buffet table on Christmas Eve. She's gone now so I make sure that we continue to have it when our family gathers on Christmas day. I like creamed and pickled but prefer the creamed.

I'm the queen of green bean casserole. In order to put a new spin on it, this year I added 32 ounces of fresh sautéed mushrooms (to three cans cut green beans). It got rave reviews so I think I'll continue with that. Next time, I think I'll sauté the mushrooms with onions and omit the french-fried onion.

I've never had creamed onions but that sounds good to me. Anyone have a recipe they'd like to post?

DH loves the green bean casserole! I always make it with frozen cut green beans - tastes much fresher.

Our Christmas tradition is rice porridge. We top it off with sugar and cinnamon, and there is blanched almond hidden in it. Whoever gets the almond has luck in the next year (and has to do the dishes).

With our parents on the other side of the world, and my brother and I living on opposite coasts, we both made our own versions and traded picture messages of the results. :D

chefjeanine said:
Herring makes me think of my Grandma.

My grandma was hard of herring, too. We usually had to say things twice for her and keep the television turned way up. But she always heard what she wasn't supposed to.

pamperedlinda said:
DH loves the green bean casserole! I always make it with frozen cut green beans - tastes much fresher.

I always make mine that way too. I've wondered if that is why people don't like it? Because they use canned green beans, which are already cooked, and then put them in a casserole and bake them, until the whole thing is mushy and grayish green?! Mine is pretty (still green) and I also LOVE the onions on top. I could eat them out of the can (and usually snitch a few.:eek:) so the Holidays w/ green bean casserole is the only time I buy them!

ChefBeckyD said:
I always make mine that way too. I've wondered if that is why people don't like it? Because they use canned green beans, which are already cooked, and then put them in a casserole and bake them, until the whole thing is mushy and grayish green?! Mine is pretty (still green) and I also LOVE the onions on top. I could eat them out of the can (and usually snitch a few.:eek:) so the Holidays w/ green bean casserole is the only time I buy them!

I always eat 1/4 of the can when I make them! They sit out while the casserole is baking just asking to be ate!

Becky - there are times that I could swear that we MUST be long lost sisters or clones or something!

Sometimes I add some frozen pearl onions in the mix - that's a nice surprise too.

On the steak, luckily husband and I both don't like to hear our meat moo...on the other hand, medium-well means still juicy, not a brick. You can tell who knows how to cook meat if they can deliver a juicy medium-well steak. You have to keep rotating it while cooking to keep those juices in.On the green bean casserole, don't eat it, but always end up being asked to make it - WHY?! I have to admit, I will snitch some of the onions from the can before putting them on top.Another funny thing is no one in our family likes egg nog except my 5 year old son. I got some for him to try last year and he's addicted. (Don't worry, the non-alcoholic kind). He drinks it throughout the month of December. ...oh and he LOVES egg nog shakes from McD's. I'm guessing he would like that egg nog pie KG mentioned too! I'll have to try that next year for him.Our new tradition is "birthday cake" on Christmas Day. My brother's household makes one because my nephew's birthday is Christmas Day, but this year DD wanted to make sure we had one to celebrate Jesus' birthday. It ended up being a chocolate train this year...I explained that they probably didn't have trains back then but then she said, well they didn't have birthday cakes either. What a stinker...

DebbieJ said:
I think green bean casserole is vile. My stepmom asked me to make it for our celebration with my dad and her because my (half) brother asked for it. Well, I made it and he didn't even eat any!!!! I had one bite and thought it was so gross. If he wasn't going to eat, I would have made something else.

That's nothing- my sister asked if I was making it for Gobbler Day this year and I told her no! I don't like that stuff. She was a little upset and then proceeded to tell me how she made it...WITH CHEESE! I had to stop her right there. I said, "Susan- I never want to hear you say the words Green Beans and Cheese in the same sentence ever again, now I have to go vomit".

Who puts CHEESE with green beans? I can see cheese and broccoli, or cauliflower- but greenbeans? UGH! lol!

DebbieJ said:

I agree its vile with CANNED green beans. Fresh would be better, but no one bothers with fresh at my inlaws (they like canned veggies, YUCK). They made the green bean casserole for those who do not like the "Italian Seafood Feast" (my sister in law and I mostly) and I won't even touch it with canned veggies.

So yes, I agree!

A couple of years ago, my bossy SIL asked me to bring a hot veggie to Thankgiving and Christmas eve dinners, and specifically said, "NO green beans. Nobody likes green beans." Which was pretty funny because I took broccoli and green beans, and the beans were gone. They weren't casserole, though, just steamed from frozen with some butter on them.DH's favorite holiday food item is his sister's meatballs. She made them this year, but I think she got cheap with the meat. There was far more gravy than balls in the baking dish.

OOO KG - Can you perhaps print a copy of the Egg Nog Pie. That sounds sooo goood! And Yep, Linda, Becky - canned green beans are well, I don't even wanna go there. But I will! It's like canned peas! (I never did much like changing diapers for my siblings but I never liked canned peas or beans after that either!) Fresh is best and no, half of the can ends in me instead of on the cassarole so I buy the big one!
Favorite is brocolli spears blanched until crisp tender. Layer it in a rectangle broiler proof baker. Over this, down the center of the spears but do not drench it, a white sauce with grated parmasean cheese in it. Then you sprinkle more cheese on the sauce and put it under the broiler to darken the cheese a smidge. Dynamite! Mom's best recipe for vegggies. And worst, JELLO anything! There was this green jello with shredded carrots served with sour cream.
First I hate raw carrots. Second I can't stand the texture of jello. This was always on Grandmas table. Too wierd!

ChefBeckyD said:

Ok, my MIL brought over to my house last night Lime Jello w/ carrots, celery and pears in it...WTH...NO ONE ate it and when she asked me to take some I told her I had no room in my fridge...when I see VEGGIES in jello, there's something wrong w/ that... :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

My aunt thought she'd be nice one year and help us out food-wise, she sent up a box with bags of jello powder. Um...well...uh 2 years later it all got tossed because it wasn't eaten.My kids love pudding, but not jello...I don't care for it either. Made jigglers once or twice when the kids were little. The thought of mixing it with veggies makes me want to hurl too...

Am I the only one that loves fruit in my Jello? Growing up we alays had orange Jello with mandrine oranges and cool whip. It is really yummy. Now adding veggies is another story, YUCK!!!

If I am going to eat jello I actually prefer fruit in it...with cool whip...

I have NO idea what this LIME JELLO and carrots and celery is...I was like "are you serious"??? Why bother bringing anything at all??

Ahh...my MIL is a whole other thread...:grumpy:

"I hate "jello salad". This has many incarnations, but all of them involve jello, fruit, and cool whip. Some have nuts, or marshmallows, or coconut....or all of the above. In DH's family, it appears in some form at every family meal."

OMG...this is exactly how my DH's family is too. It is so funny that you posted this because as I was reading all the posts I was thinking of these salads too!

pampered1224 said:
OOO KG - Can you perhaps print a copy of the Egg Nog Pie. That sounds sooo goood! And Yep, Linda, Becky - canned green beans are well, I don't even wanna go there. But I will! It's like canned peas! (I never did much like changing diapers for my siblings but I never liked canned peas or beans after that either!) Fresh is best and no, half of the can ends in me instead of on the cassarole so I buy the big one!
Favorite is brocolli spears blanched until crisp tender. Layer it in a rectangle broiler proof baker. Over this, down the center of the spears but do not drench it, a white sauce with grated parmasean cheese in it. Then you sprinkle more cheese on the sauce and put it under the broiler to darken the cheese a smidge. Dynamite! Mom's best recipe for vegggies. And worst, JELLO anything! There was this green jello with shredded carrots served with sour cream.
First I hate raw carrots. Second I can't stand the texture of jello. This was always on Grandmas table. Too wierd!

I'll have to see if I have it. I think Mom's recipe box went to my brother, but I'm sure I can get it. Just give me a little time. (At Thanksgiving, my SIL makes pumpkin, egg nog and pecan pie. Most of us end up taking a thin slice of each because we can't decide which one we want!

Kitchen Diva said:
That's nothing- my sister asked if I was making it for Gobbler Day this year and I told her no! I don't like that stuff. She was a little upset and then proceeded to tell me how she made it...WITH CHEESE! I had to stop her right there. I said, "Susan- I never want to hear you say the words Green Beans and Cheese in the same sentence ever again, now I have to go vomit".

Who puts CHEESE with green beans? I can see cheese and broccoli, or cauliflower- but greenbeans? UGH! lol!

I make my dinner version of green bean casserole with cheese (see one of my previous posts here. It is so GOOD!

It's funny that gelatin in its various incarnations always makes people's loved/hated lists.My mom usually puts fruit in it, which is what I'm used to. Plain gelatin with nothing in it reminds me of cheap cafeteria food. My grandmother used to make a gelatin salad with shredded carrots, celery, apples and walnuts in green gelatin that was "opaqued" with mayo (or sometimes cottage cheese). BLEAH! :yuck: After seeing that, DH announced a new rule: nothing crunchy goes in gelatin, and it can only be opaqued with yummy things like whipped topping, melted ice cream or cream cheese. There were a couple of years when that's all I was asked to bring to family gatherings at my in-laws - molded gelatin. Probably because that family never had a big gelatin tradition and it was something new. But I got so sick of having to spend all day making layered molded salads.

Birthday cake for Jesus is a family tradition. Homemade tiramisu is a new tradition. Our Baby boy loves it, and I made it for the first time last year. It became an instant tradition. LOL! We've decided that we like trying new things for Christmas dinner, so this year it was roasted duck. Tasty.

I also hate green bean casserole. Then again, I don't like anything made with cream of anything soup. Not a big casserole fan in general. (Though, people continually point out that lasagna and manicotti are basically casseroles, and I love those.)

My family of origin didn't have any real food traditions connected with Christmas. Then again, my mom isn't exactly a good cook.

chefann said:
It's funny that gelatin in its various incarnations always makes people's loved/hated lists.

My mom usually puts fruit in it, which is what I'm used to. Plain gelatin with nothing in it reminds me of cheap cafeteria food. My grandmother used to make a gelatin salad with shredded carrots, celery, apples and walnuts in green gelatin that was "opaqued" with mayo (or sometimes cottage cheese). BLEAH! :yuck: After seeing that, DH announced a new rule: nothing crunchy goes in gelatin, and it can only be opaqued with yummy things like whipped topping, melted ice cream or cream cheese.

Okay - since I'm the one who started the jello hate-athon...I do need to confess that growing up, my grandma made a dessert that was raspberry jello, frozen raspberries, and melted ice cream. I loved that. I've tried to recreate it several times (she didn't have a recipe written down!:cry:) but can't get it to be like hers. The key word in this paragraph however is dessert. She never called it "salad" and tried to serve it with the main meal. It was always served with dessert, along side the pies, etc....

Gelatin was always served as a side dish in my house growing up, so when someone serves it as dessert, my first thought is, "Why so cheap for dessert?"

jello is always a side dish here too

My grandmother passed away in 1989. When she was alive my family and my mom's sister would go to grandma's house on Christmas Eve- we'd eat pizza- so we would get to Christmas Eve service on time, and come back to her house to open gifts. When grandma passed away, we continued to go to the house (my aunt bought it) and continued our Christmas Eve pizza. When I got married we moved about an hour away. For a few years we continued to drive up for this tradition. We still have pizza at my house for this tradition.

chefjeanine said:
Herring makes me think of my Grandma. She always had it on her buffet table on Christmas Eve. She's gone now so I make sure that we continue to have it when our family gathers on Christmas day. I like creamed and pickled but prefer the creamed.

I'm the queen of green bean casserole. In order to put a new spin on it, this year I added 32 ounces of fresh sautéed mushrooms (to three cans cut green beans). It got rave reviews so I think I'll continue with that. Next time, I think I'll sauté the mushrooms with onions and omit the french-fried onion.

I've never had creamed onions but that sounds good to me. Anyone have a recipe they'd like to post?

Here is my favorite:

Deluxe Creamed Onions

1 1/2 lbs small white onions (I prefer using fresh)
2 TBS butter/margarine
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS flour
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups light cream
1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
Sherry cooking wine to taste

If using fresh onions, prepare and boil whole onions. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour and seasonings. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in cream and sherry. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in carrots and cook about 3-5 minutes longer. Pour sauce over hot onions.

This is my favorite holiday recipe~

1. What are Cannibal Sandwiches and why do you hate them?

Cannibal Sandwiches, also known as "Tiger Meat" or "Steak Tartare," are a dish made of raw ground beef served on bread or crackers. I hate them because my aunt used to bring them to our family Christmas Eve gatherings as a way to tease and torture us. She was the only one in our family who actually enjoyed them.

2. What is a food that you enjoy but your family hates?

Herring in Wine Sauce is a food that I enjoy, but my immediate family can't stand. My grandpa and dad loved it, and it holds a special place in my heart because of the memories associated with it.

3. Can you share the story behind your love for Herring in Wine Sauce?

When my grandpa was dying of cancer, I got him a jar of Herring in Wine Sauce for Christmas. Even though he couldn't recognize us anymore, my grandma told me that it was one of his favorite things that year. When my dad was going through chemo treatments, he also enjoyed this dish, making it a special tradition between the two of us. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

4. How did your family react to your gift of Herring in Wine Sauce for your grandpa?

My aunt ridiculed me for giving my grandpa a jar of herring, calling it "stupid" and "cheap." But to me, it was a way to try and give my grandpa something he would still recognize and enjoy in his final days. Despite her criticism, I know it brought him joy.

5. Do you still enjoy Herring in Wine Sauce in memory of your dad and grandpa?

Yes, I still enjoy Herring in Wine Sauce in memory of my dad and grandpa. It has become a tradition for me to have it around the holidays as a way to honor and remember them. Even though my family may not enjoy the smell or taste of it, it holds a special place in my heart and brings back happy memories of my loved ones.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
doughmama
Replies
Views
heat123
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
Replies
Views