• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Celebrate Christmas in August with Family: A Unique Tradition!

In summary, Paula's family celebrates Christmas in November on Thanksgiving because four of her sons live 1000 miles away. Her family celebrates New Year's Eve and New Year's Day together in Ohio.
ahammons
Does anyone else's family celebrate Christmas in a different month, or is mine just crazy?? :D I just got an e-mail from my aunt, asking everyone if we want to do it August again this year. Okay, so it's not my whole family - just my dad's side. My uncle comes up to visit from Florida in August every year, so that he can be with my grandma on her birthday (she's turning 80 this year!! :)). Just wondering if we're the only weird ones! lol

YUP you're weird!:p Just kidding. Sometimes we'll do something in January when my grandma comes down but thats it!

Aw - I think that's such a fun and cool idea!!
We used to do Christmas in January because my parents wouldn't arrive til the 1st week in January - it was great cuz we could do all our shopping at all the post-holiday sales! LOL

We celebrate our Christmas in November (at Thanksgiving) because 4 of our sons live 1000 miles away and since we moved here 10 years ago that has been our tradition (that way they are home to be with all the rest of their families at Christmas). We do not go north in winter if we can help it so Christmas is very laid back.

We have had un-birthdays in July. There were no family birthdays that month so we picked names and everyone bought one gift and I decorated for a big party. We all loved it and did it for several years running!

We do Christmas in March on my Moms side and Husbands family. Both live int he panhandle so we visit over spring break. We have talked about mailing gifts over the years but really its too expensive (like another gift). Plus, I think its great for the kids to have a nice sprinkling of Christmas cheer and gifts throughout the year.
Kristi

In a previous life, there were so many June birthdays that we celebrated Father's Day in October. My ex FIL was always pleasantly surprised to get a card and a gift on an unannounced Sunday in October.

In our family, I grew up in Florida, but married my Ohio guy. When it was time to figure out the holidays, I told them I really wanted to go to Florida for Christmas, and my mother-in-law totally supported that. She said that she thought that was totally fair, especially since they "have me" for all of the rest of the holidays!
She was so sweet about it, and I really appreciate her anyway. What I decided to do was, go home for Christmas, but alway come back by New Year's Day. In our family, everyone always has New Year's off work, so...we just have Christmas on New Year's Day in Ohio! It's worked out fabulously for us!!
The kids love it, too! Santa has come on New Year's Eve for a very long time up here!! lol
My husband is the only son, which puts me in the position of being the future "Grandma Lewis". I often joke that, when our kids are grown and married, they'll probably all want to go to their in-laws' homes for Christmas and come to see my husband and me on New Year's Day, because, after all, that's when the "Lewis family" celebrates the holiday, right? Ha! Ha!

It will be OK with me, too. After all, it's only important that we get together as a family, not that we do it on a certain, rigidly steadfast day, right??

Blessings,
Paula Lewis

The great thing about being an individual, is that you can celebrate WHAT you want, WHEN you want ;)

My kids go to their dad's every year for 1 week of Winter Break.... so every other year I have them for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, so we have our celebration then. And on the other years, they come home Christmas morning and we have our "Christmas Eve" on New Years Eve and celebrate Christmas on New Years Day.

A couple years ago we even picked the kids up Christmas morning, and drove to a city about an hour from here to catch a movie, before then heading to the airport to pick up my best friend. It's cheaper to fly on Christmas Day, so it worked out really well and we celebrated New Years and Christmas together :)

(Plus, that gives an extra week for shopping at the after Christmas sales ;) LOL)

Paula,

That sounds like a great deal you have going! Unfortunately my husband's side of the family have to get together on the day - otherwise it's just not the same for them. My poor husband who is a retail store manager and only gets one day off all of December (that being Christmas) hates having to run around all day to please his family but that's what we always do. My family is more accomodating and we'll do before or after Christmas no problem. My parents usually come over for breakfast at our house which works out nicely. They only live one town over so it's easy. I'd love to go to Florida for Christmas sometime (perhaps when my hubby retires in 100 years!:)

It's Christmas here every day of the year. I would think, that by Christmastime, the help would have had enough of it, but apparently they all love it here! It's not just walking into the store in June that is a strange experience, just driving into town and seeing the parking lots is somewhat eerie but at the same time, always draws a smile.
bronners_1952_63898689

What a GREAT store!!!!! In my early 20's I dreamt of opening a year-round Christmas shop! If I had my way, I'd keep my tree up year-round ;)

Gina M said:
Paula,

That sounds like a great deal you have going! Unfortunately my husband's side of the family have to get together on the day - otherwise it's just not the same for them. My poor husband who is a retail store manager and only gets one day off all of December (that being Christmas) hates having to run around all day to please his family but that's what we always do. My family is more accomodating and we'll do before or after Christmas no problem. My parents usually come over for breakfast at our house which works out nicely. They only live one town over so it's easy. I'd love to go to Florida for Christmas sometime (perhaps when my hubby retires in 100 years!:)

Gina,
I have to admit, it's been pretty nice! I've married into a wonderful family, to be sure! My mother-in-law tells me that she truly believes that the Good Lord was "preparing her" for this way back when my husband was in the Navy. He served six years, all before we met.
It seems that, one year, he called home to tell her that he could come home for Christmas, but, if he waited until AFTER, he could come home longer. She said she could just tell by his voice that he would come home if she insisted, but that he was really hoping she'd let him come a couple of days later so he could stay longer. She agreed, and it's really been so nice!!

My in-laws were divorced, so we used to get with my father-in-law before we went down to Florida. :cool: :eek:
One year, we saw him, then went to Florida, where, on Christmas Eve, we went to my brother's Mother-in-law's house for Christmas Eve dinner. Then, we had Christmas down there on Christmas morning, with my father. (My mother had already passed away)
We came back to Ohio, and had our personal Christmas with our children on New Year's morning, then went over to my mother-in-law's and had Christmas with her and my husband's sisters and their families that afternoon/evening. :eek:
Sometimes, people have asked me if my kids mind having Christmas "late", but they really don't, they just have a bunch of them!! lol In fact, that year, they actually had "Christmas" celebrations five different times!!
One thing's for sure, we don't have to worry about the holiday "blues" setting in....we're almost glad to see them end!!
I do love it that it's spread out, though, to be totally honest with you! We truly do get to enjoy it, which is the way it's supposed to be!! And, with all the "hustle and bustle", it's nice to be able to appreciate what it's all about, that is, the birth of our Lord and Saviour!!

I hope my family's "celebration styles" will help someone else who is struggling to make it work! The secret is being mature about it, as well as flexible, if you ask me!! And besides, life is truly too short to not do our best to compromise and get along with each other, don't you agree??? ;)

Oh well, I hope you've enjoyed my little story!

Have a wonderful day, and thanks for letting me share!!

Paula

1. What is "Celebrate Christmas in August with Family" all about?

"Celebrate Christmas in August with Family" is a unique tradition that involves gathering with loved ones during the month of August to celebrate the holiday season in a non-traditional way. It is a fun and creative way to bring the joy and spirit of Christmas to a different time of year.

2. How did this tradition start?

This tradition originated in the southern hemisphere, where Christmas falls during the summer months. It was a way for families to experience the magic of a traditional Christmas without the cold weather. It has since become popular in other parts of the world as a way to extend the holiday season and spend quality time with family.

3. What are some ways to celebrate Christmas in August with family?

There are many ways to celebrate this tradition, such as hosting a Christmas-themed barbecue, decorating a Christmas tree with summer-themed ornaments, exchanging gifts, or watching Christmas movies by the pool. You can also incorporate traditional Christmas activities like baking cookies, making gingerbread houses, and singing carols.

4. Is it necessary to have a big gathering for this tradition?

No, the size of the gathering is completely up to you and your family. It can be as small or as large as you want it to be. The important thing is to spend quality time together and create special memories.

5. Can I use Pampered Chef products to help with my Christmas in August celebration?

Absolutely! Pampered Chef has a wide range of products that can help you prepare and create delicious Christmas-themed dishes. From our festive stoneware to our versatile kitchen tools, we have everything you need to make your Christmas in August celebration a success.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
babywings76
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • chefjeanine
  • General Chat
Replies