• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hearty Main Dish for a Yard Party: Latin-Influenced Ideas

In summary, the Satay Pasta Salad isn't popular in this host's neighborhood, and he's looking for a hearty main dish that's not spicy. He likes the Chicken Tortilla Casserole from the Season's Best Recipes book.
cookin to the top
Gold Member
I have a host coming up that would like a fast, hearty main dish with minimal cooking. I suggested the Satay Pasta Salad, but he doesn't like Thai food, and said it's not popular in their neighborhood. He said they're all black and Latino, and would like the food to be hearty, and maybe a little spicy. ("But not too spicy" LOL) It'll be in the yard, but we'll have access to the oven in the house. Any suggestions? (The show I got the booking from was an enchilada ring, they loved it, but want something different this time)

What about the Chicken Tortilla Casserole from the SS SBRC??

I don't have that book- do you have the recipe? Have you tried it?

Aren't there some new chicken wing recipes? How about the 10 min pork sandwiches with the Jamaican rub?

cookin to the top said:

That recipe is in the current Seasons Best and is very good!

cookin to the top said:

You don't have the new Season's Best?

What about Consultants Corner - it's on there too.

The chicken tortilla casserole is wonderful!

The Pampered Chef ®
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Recipe

1 poblano pepper
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp Southwestern Seasoning Mix
1/4 tsp salt
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups thick and chunky salsa
4 cups broken tortilla chips
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. Remove stem and seeds from poblano pepper using Utility Knife; slice into thin strips. Arrange poblano strips evenly over bottom of Deep Dish Baker. Thinly slice chicken using Utility Knife. Combine chicken, seasoning mix and salt in Classic Batter Bowl. Arrange chicken over poblano strips. Cover baker with 15-in. square of Parchment Paper, tucking corners of paper under baker. Microwave on HIGH 4 minutes; stir using Mix ‘N Scraper® to separate chicken strips. Cover; microwave an additional 4-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

2. Drain and rinse black beans using small Colander. Stir beans and salsa into chicken mixture. Gently stir in tortilla chips with Small Mix ‘N Scraper®. Grate cheese over baker using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, snip cilantro using Kitchen Shears; sprinkle over casserole.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 360, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 115 mg, Carbohydrate 26 g, Protein 31 g, Sodium 1120 mg, Fiber 6 g

Cook's Tip: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be substituted for the chicken thighs, if desired.

Poblano peppers are dark green chiles with a rich flavor that varies from mild to slightly spicy. Poblanos are about 2 1/2 in. wide and 4-5 in. long, forming a triangular shape.

If desired, 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges, can be substituted for the poblano pepper.

Taco seasoning mix can be substituted for the Southwestern Seasoning Mix, if desired. Omit salt.

Thank you! (Of course, I just found it...) would it be awkward, running back and forth to the microwave? Have you done it at a show?

It's only twice, so I don't think it would be a hassle, now that I look at it closer.

I think the Asian Noodle Skillet meal in S/S SB was great. Very filling and made a ton. I use chicken breasts instead of pork loin.

1. What are some popular Latin-inspired dishes that would be great for a yard party?

Some popular Latin-inspired dishes that would be perfect for a yard party are grilled carne asada, chicken or shrimp fajitas, paella, empanadas, and tacos al pastor. These hearty dishes are full of flavor and are easy to prepare for a large group.

2. Can you recommend a vegetarian option for a Latin-themed yard party?

For a vegetarian option, you can try making grilled vegetable skewers with a Latin-inspired marinade, black bean and quinoa salad, or stuffed bell peppers with a spicy rice and bean filling. These dishes are not only tasty but also filling for non-meat eaters.

3. How can I make sure my meat is tender and flavorful for the yard party?

To ensure your meat is tender and full of flavor, marinate it for at least 30 minutes or overnight before grilling. You can use a Latin-inspired marinade made with ingredients such as lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and cumin for a delicious and tender result.

4. What are some side dishes that would complement a Latin-inspired main dish?

Some side dishes that would go well with a Latin-inspired main dish are rice and beans, grilled corn on the cob with a chili-lime butter, roasted sweet potatoes with a sprinkle of cumin and paprika, and a fresh avocado and tomato salad. These sides will add a burst of flavor and color to your yard party menu.

5. Can you suggest a dessert that would fit in with a Latin-themed yard party?

A great dessert option for a Latin-themed yard party is churros with a chocolate dipping sauce. You can also make a traditional tres leches cake or a fruity flan for a sweet ending to your meal. These desserts are easy to make and will satisfy any sweet tooth.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookin to the top
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • Fluffy215
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
baychef
Replies