• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Catering a Holiday Party: Ideas & Recipes Needed!

In summary, Becky is trying to find recipes for a teacher who is having a holiday party at her house. The teacher emailed Becky asking for help, and Becky replies with a recipe for bow tie pasta with feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. She says she's missing being a personal chef and recommends lending out her equipment to friends and family.
chefsteph07
Ok, did a show last night for a teacher, she just emailed me and said she is trying to get ME to cater their holiday party...Um..help!!! What recipes would be good for that? I have no idea yet how many guests or anything, but it's at this hosts house this year. I'm thinking a pasta, a chicken dish, salad and dessert, along w/ some finger foods..I know I"d want to serve the apricot brie, but that's all the ideas I have for a real "catered" event...any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

chefsteph07 said:
Ok, did a show last night for a teacher, she just emailed me and said she is trying to get ME to cater their holiday party...Um..help!!! What recipes would be good for that? I have no idea yet how many guests or anything, but it's at this hosts house this year. I'm thinking a pasta, a chicken dish, salad and dessert, along w/ some finger foods..I know I"d want to serve the apricot brie, but that's all the ideas I have for a real "catered" event...any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
You are not a caterer. Unless she plans on hosting a party I would go through all the trouble.

Would she be paying you for catering? If so, you need to figure in the cost of food and also the time it takes to prepare the food for payment. A good rule of thumb is to charge for the food, and then 2-3x's the food cost for the service.

If it is going to be a sit down dinner (which is actually easier than a buffet/finger foods type of catering) then I would go with chicken - just because that is the most universal. If you also do a nice pasta dish - that would take care of the vegetarians in the crowd. There is a really good pasta dish that is simple to make that Janetupnorth posted on here - I have it on my computer, I'll have to go find it.
For desserts - when I was catering - at Christmas time, and other holidays, I would often make cheesecake, and a flourless chocolate cake. They can both be made ahead, and only require slicing, garnishing, and serving at the event - and then everyone has a choice between the two. They are both rich, so can be served as smaller pieces and serve alot of people.

Brie is a good choice for an appetizer- and then have another appetizer that is not cheese based, and also maybe a shrimp platter, or prosciutto and melon - that's really good too.

I used to be a Personal Chef and caterer.......and it's strange, but this time of the year, I miss it! I still get calls from past clients wondering if I am available. About the only thing I do now is lend out all of my equipment to friends and family for events they are hosting!:rolleyes:

Here is Janet's Pasta recipe - it is so good!

Bow Tie Pasta with Feta Cheese and Sun-dried Tomatoes

INGREDIENTS
1 (12 ounce) package bow ties - you can also use 16 ounces of angel hair pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, softened and chopped
1 (8 ounce) package tomato basil feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water until done; drain. Return pasta to the pot.
Mix in olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, feta, and Parmesan cheese. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Serve warm.

Enjoy!

chefkristin said:
You are not a caterer. Unless she plans on hosting a party I would go through all the trouble.

She just did a party last night...and I'd do it if she wants me to do it!

ChefBeckyD said:
Here is Janet's Pasta recipe - it is so good!
Did you finally get to try it Becky????That one works well for large groups and hot or cooled down so it can be assembled quickly.Don't forget if you do cater it you'll need some extra helping hands - don't try to do it on your own!

Just a word of warning, some states have very strict food laws. It's possible that by "catering" a get-together over a certain size, you're violating the law. If it's six people, you're probably okay. If it's over a dozen, you may want to check on it.

raebates said:
Just a word of warning, some states have very strict food laws. It's possible that by "catering" a get-together over a certain size, you're violating the law. If it's six people, you're probably okay. If it's over a dozen, you may want to check on it.

Good to know! Thanks!

raebates said:

Normally it's only a problem if you transport cooked food in a noncommercial vehicle. I also do personal cheffing and catering on the side. I have specific insurance coverage for this but it only covers food I prepare in the client's home. I am not allowed to transport anyting I have cooked or prepped beforehand.. only baked goods like cookies, cakes, etc.

Just curious, how much are you charging her? I hope I'm not being too nosy here... just be sure it's worth your while to do it.

I have NO details yet, don't even know when it is, she said they are working on the details, and I planned on doing everything at her house since she's holding it there, I think I would just do some of the prep here- if it's allowed...I don't know what to charge or anything, I was thinking like $5-$10 a head, but don't know if that's fair or undercharging.

chefsteph07 said:
I have NO details yet, don't even know when it is, she said they are working on the details, and I planned on doing everything at her house since she's holding it there, I think I would just do some of the prep here- if it's allowed...I don't know what to charge or anything, I was thinking like $5-$10 a head, but don't know if that's fair or undercharging.

In my opinion, you are way undercharging! But do what you think is right. My question, though is do you know what you are preparing to determine that $5-$10 will work? Like Becky said, you need to charge 2x or 3x your food costs. The first place to start is to figure out your menu and then price out the food and go from there. Also, find out how many people are expected because if it's over 15, plan on having a server or helper with you and that person will need to be paid as well so figure that into your cost or have the host pay that person directly (just don't let her hire the help!!!!).

I know this sounds like a lot but the most important thing is that you will need a written agreement. Just to be sure that your butt is covered. Also that she will pay you the full amount per person (if that's the way you're going to charge) and not want to short you if 5 people don't show up. You've still bought all the food and done all the work and you deserve to get paid. And either get paid upfront or at least a 50% deposit.

Good luck!

finley1991 said:
In my opinion, you are way undercharging! But do what you think is right. My question, though is do you know what you are preparing to determine that $5-$10 will work? Like Becky said, you need to charge 2x or 3x your food costs. The first place to start is to figure out your menu and then price out the food and go from there. Also, find out how many people are expected because if it's over 15, plan on having a server or helper with you and that person will need to be paid as well so figure that into your cost or have the host pay that person directly (just don't let her hire the help!!!!).

I know this sounds like a lot but the most important thing is that you will need a written agreement. Just to be sure that your butt is covered. Also that she will pay you the full amount per person (if that's the way you're going to charge) and not want to short you if 5 people don't show up. You've still bought all the food and done all the work and you deserve to get paid. And either get paid upfront or at least a 50% deposit.

Good luck!
I would charge $5-$10 just for dessert!

I always got a 50% (nonrefundable) deposit - this covered the cost of the food and the initial prep work. Catering is not an easy job - very rewarding, but not easy! There is a ton of prep work involved - from menu planning, to food ordering/shopping - recipe work, and all of the food prep. Almost everything has to be done last minute - so it's long hours just before the event, and then long hours during the event.

My DH and I just went to his class reunion. It was $30 per couple - and it was disgusting! It was a "catered" meal of frozen, heated up fried chicken, with canned green beans, baked potatoes, and rolls. - oh, and grocery store bakery cakes (I know - I saw the boxes!) :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: But that is about what you can expect for $30 per person. If I had done it though - I know I could have done a better meal for the same price. Makes it hard for me to go to catered events - I always want to critique the food!

These are GREAT tips...thank you Colleen and Becky SO MUCH! I am wanting to get into Personal Cheffing,and I was thinking about doing it after the holidays when I can afford it.

$5 in my area would cover dessert, nothing fancy, just something like cake.
Sounds like you're planning on serving a whole dinner!

chefsteph07 said:
These are GREAT tips...thank you Colleen and Becky SO MUCH! I am wanting to get into Personal Cheffing,and I was thinking about doing it after the holidays when I can afford it.

This sounds like a great way to see if you'll like it!

I catered my sister's Mother-Daughter banquet this past May and it was so much fun! They invited me back for next year! My menu was seasoned roasted (fresh) veggies served over a rice pilaf with grilled chicken on the side, for the vegans. I bought the half-baked french baguettes and sliced them; spread butter on them and sprinkled our dill mix on the slices. Then toasted them in the oven. I had lemonade or tea for drinks and for dessert I had angel food cake with strawberries and whipped topping or a chocolate mousse pie that is EXTREMELY easy and cheap. I served over 65 people with this menu and spent less than $125 on the food. I was only reimbursed for the food and then given an extra $50, but I did it for the fun. I really enjoyed it and I cant wait to go back and plan a new menu for next year!

Best of luck with your event!

ragschef said:
I catered my sister's Mother-Daughter banquet this past May and it was so much fun! They invited me back for next year! My menu was seasoned roasted (fresh) veggies served over a rice pilaf with grilled chicken on the side, for the vegans. I bought the half-baked french baguettes and sliced them; spread butter on them and sprinkled our dill mix on the slices. Then toasted them in the oven. I had lemonade or tea for drinks and for dessert I had angel food cake with strawberries and whipped topping or a chocolate mousse pie that is EXTREMELY easy and cheap. I served over 65 people with this menu and spent less than $125 on the food. I was only reimbursed for the food and then given an extra $50, but I did it for the fun. I really enjoyed it and I cant wait to go back and plan a new menu for next year!

Best of luck with your event!

Wow! That is a great menu and so inexpensive! I may ask for your recipe for the main dish of veggies and chicken...sounds great!

chefsteph07 said:
Wow! That is a great menu and so inexpensive! I may ask for your recipe for the main dish of veggies and chicken...sounds great!

Just let me know! I'll be glad to help! :D

Would you mind sharing the chocolate mousse pie recipe?
Could use something like that for our church dinner.
If it's a mix, or from scratch, recipe is welcome :)Thanks

chefsteph07 said:
She just did a party last night...and I'd do it if she wants me to do it!
I hope you didn't take offense. That isn't how I meant it. :(

chefkristin said:
I hope you didn't take offense. That isn't how I meant it. :(

No offense taken at all! ;)

What type of dishes can I make for a holiday party?

There are many options for dishes to make for a holiday party, depending on your budget and the type of party you are hosting. Some popular choices include a roasted turkey or ham, a variety of vegetable dishes, appetizers, and desserts such as pies or cookies.

What are some creative ideas for decorating a holiday party?

Some creative ideas for decorating a holiday party include using festive tablecloths and napkins, incorporating seasonal decorations such as pinecones and evergreen branches, and setting up a hot cocoa or mulled cider bar with fun toppings and mix-ins.

What are some easy appetizer recipes for a holiday party?

There are many easy appetizer recipes that are perfect for a holiday party, such as mini quiches, crostini with various toppings, and cheese and charcuterie boards. You can also make a simple dip, such as spinach artichoke or buffalo chicken, to serve with crackers or vegetables.

How can I accommodate dietary restrictions for my guests?

It's important to consider any dietary restrictions your guests may have when planning a holiday party. Some easy ways to accommodate these restrictions include offering a variety of dishes, having a few vegetarian or gluten-free options, and clearly labeling any potential allergens in the food.

What are some tips for making a holiday party run smoothly?

To ensure a smooth holiday party, be sure to plan ahead and make a detailed schedule for food preparation and setup. It's also helpful to ask for help from friends or family members, and to have a backup plan in case of any unforeseen issues. Don't forget to take some time to relax and enjoy the party yourself!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Pampered Angel
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • krusacbeth