• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has Anyone Ever Charged a Host for Cancelling?

In summary, many upper level directors have charged hostesses if they cancel a show too close to the date for any reason that was not an emergency or a host who cancelled on them more than one time. In some cases, asking for a "rebooking fee" or "cancellation fee" is outright wrong, as it can damage relationships.
pcsharon1
Gold Member
I have heard in the past of upper level directors that charged hostesses if they cancelled a show too close to the date for any reason that was not an emergency - or a host who cancelled on them more than one time.

Just curious if anyone has ever done anything like this. I never have and there have only been a few times that I have even considered it..........

Now is one of those times because this host has cancelled on my twice - once the day before the show and now this time it's for this weekend. She doesn't return calls, doesn't answer emails, totally avoids me until the final call before the show. The real kicker is that when she booked her show I asked her if she would prefer I order spanish catalogs for her show and mini-cattys for her invitations and she said yes. When she rescheduled I made a point of telling her that I had paid for catalogs specifically for her show and they were only good through the end of August. Now she has cancelled and I have put out money for catalogs that I won't be able to use - they expire at the end of the month and I am getting ready to move. I also had several hostesses who wanted that date and I had to turn them down and now they have other plans and can't host a show that quickly.

I told her on the phone that she had cancelled on me twice and there was no way I could reschedule because I am moving next week. I even told her that she had basically laid me off for the evening without pay. She simply ignorned me.

And she actually told me to pass her name on to someone else to have a show with later in the year. I won't pass her name on to my downline and have her do the same thing to one of them.

How would you handle it?

Yeah I would bless and release. And not mention her to anyone. I had a host cancel on me the last minute this month ( mean like 2 days before on a Saturday). I decided, after almost 10 years, to take a little more control--she asked me if she could book for a Saturday in October and I told her "Oh, Kathy, I'm so happy to rebook with you. But I have a policy that if a host cancels on me at the last minute I cannot give her a Saturday show when she reschedules--Saturdays are my most popular day to book shows. Can we do a Sunday?"....long pause....then she said "ok, how about the Sunday after that?" and booked it.

We work for ourselves--bless and release

Chris Manion has said that she instituted a policy early in her career that if a host canceled, she required a $20 refundable deposit to reschedule the show. I think she said she's only had to use it once or twice, and she didn't go around advertising that as her policy. I've contemplated doing that with having been stood up on Sunday.

love this.. you could say, send me $20 for the cost of the food, which I will bring with me to the show. Once I receive the $$ your date will be reserved. It shows you are serious about your business and need your paycheck

I think asking for a "rebooking fee" or a "cancellation fee" is outright wrong. For one, you can pretty much say goodbye to a rebooking b/c would you ever honestly PAY a fee to rebook a show? You NEVER know what may come from a host that cancels a few times but follows through on the third one. I never burn bridges with customers. If the cancel on me, I will rebook them 3 times. If they don't come through on the third time, I offer them to do a catalog show, then bless and release.

This is another reason why I send out the invitations! This NEVER happens when they provide you with a guest list...unless there is some MAJOR emergency and they are willing to call all their invited guests to change the plan.

I can't remember if she ever implemented it, but my former Director played with the idea of a cancellation fee, just like dentist/doctor offices charge for last-minute cancellations.

I have been on both sides. Me wanting to charge, but not...but I have asked for them to mail back the packet(even if old) or at least hand out the catalog since throwing it away does cost me money. I do let them know that shipping isn't cheap. I have had more people send it back with out me first asking than those sending it back after I ask.

I probably haven't charged because...

My first host to ever cancel did it 3 times before finally doing her show...then end up having a $1,100 show w/3 bookings. I did two shows for her in Florida when she moved and ended up recruiting her. She sold for 2 or 3 years, and recently just did another show. Those shows and bookings have generated untold income.

If I had charged her do you think she would ever have done a show with me?

Our orthodontist charged me $35 when I forgot a check up for my daughter...even though I had asked for a reminder call... that they did not give me. "It's a courtesy call, not a mandatory call." When Alyssa needed $5,000 worth of stage 2 braces last Fall I did not hesitate switching to a different practice.

Kill her with kindness. She probably didn't pick up the phone because she was feeling bad because she didn't do what you asked her to do during coaching. I would make like I really understand and it's okay. Really, maybe she can still help by doing a quick catty show that will close on the 31st. Or, see if she will ask her friends if they know someone who would help you get started in your new place.

Give it a try...You never know...

As I mentioned, Chris said she only had to ask to do it only once or twice. She said that just making the decision to respect her own business that much made such a change in her attitude and what she projected to other people, that it never became necessary to use the fee. And when she did do it, she asked the person to write a check, and she held it and gave it back at the show.

My issue is really not with her cancelling - it's with her cancelling, twice (once the day before by voicemail and this time three days before) after asking me to purchase special catalogs and invitations for her show. That's my main issue. I purchased extra paperwork at her request and now she is leaving me holding paperwork I won't use but paid for.

I don't support the idea of charging cancellation fees or rebooking fees.... I know it's our own business but what would HO say if word got around that we charge for show cancellations. It's part of the business. I just hope poeple don't go around and say PC Consultants charge cancellation fees because I don't and ever will!!!!!!!!!

I would definitely not be comfortable charging a cancellation fee, and I certainly wouldn't do business with any other direct consultant who did charge a cancellation fee.The first PC show I ever had I had to cancel the DAY OF because of a family emergency. My consultant was so understanding and wonderful. I did reschedule- and purchased a ton from her! Years later I am a consultant myself. Had she charged me a cancellation fee I don't think I would have done business with PC again.

This is why you need to take control of your shows and do the invitations yourself. If a host cancels on me once and wants to rebook without me getting the list, I tell them I will rebook the date only after I receive their guest list. It ensures that they are serious and I am not left in the dark with a date and no list and they decide a week before the show to cancel so I cannot rebook the show to someone else on such short notice.

pcsharon1 said:
My issue is really not with her cancelling - it's with her cancelling, twice (once the day before by voicemail and this time three days before) after asking me to purchase special catalogs and invitations for her show. That's my main issue. I purchased extra paperwork at her request and now she is leaving me holding paperwork I won't use but paid for.

I understand your frustration and it is hard to swallow after being blown off 2 times right before a scheduled show.

I am confused because in your first post you said you asked her if she wanted you to purchase the spanish catalogs and mini's for her show and she said "yes"...so you went ahead and made the investment. In this scenario, if you offered and she took you up on it...you can't be upset at her for the $ you spent for that. I KNOW it's frustrating!!!! But really, if the shoe was on the other foot (she was the spanish consultant) and she asked you if you wanted her to get english catalogs and mini's, and you said "yes"...would you then be hurt if she came back to you later and complained that she made that purchase for NOTHING b/c of you?

Then, in another post you said she asked you to buy the spanish versions. Either way, you were being the fantastic consultant that you are and purchased them to service her and her guests and she has left you high and dry. That is a MAJOR bummer and I would find it really hard to not feel any different than what you feel right now :mad:

Try to make the best of it. You can sell the catalogs here on these boards &/or slap a label on them and leave them all over town for others to pick up and flip through. Who knows.....you may just drum up some AWESOME business by doing that :love:

But how would you get them to pay it????

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but did you do 3 host coaching calls? I think of it because it is my biggest area for improvement. I'm pretty good at doing the bulk of the first one at the show when I give a host packet, but getting both of the others is not something I'm very good at yet.Someone who cancelled once, would receive special handholding from me - regardless if they were a past host or whatever. Ultimately it is me who 'makes the sale' or not. Yes, occasionally "life" intervenes, but by grace we all move ahead.You don't claim your professionalism by demands or by charging people. No doubt her biggest concern was no one was going to show. Address this with her initially "Now, -n-, imagine your living room on the night of your show and just 3 people are there. Are people pretty talkative or fairly quiet. Does anyone ask "is anyone else coming?" What is the atmosphere like at that show? And now, imagine your living room on the night of your show and 17 people are there. Are people talkative or fairly quiet? Is there energy in the room? What's the atmosphere like at that show? - and which one would you like to have for your show?"Instead, claim your professionalism by being calm, cool, collected and resourceful. Listen, listen, suggest and listen again.Finally, those catalogs are not worthless. Put your contact info on them with the following (or similar:)"While this catalog is recently done, Your kitchen will be a source of new fun!
The tools you see inside are nice, You'll be surprised to learn they have another price,
Well 3 prices actually, there's Full-priced, Half-priced and FREE!"
Call me for more information on the 3 prices:

I tried to do three coaching calls - host won't answer any calls. I left messages, sent emails, even sent snail mail. Host coaching is my biggest area of improvement over the last six months or so and I am on top of it. I also do send invitations for my hosts - if I can get an invite list from them - 95% of the time. With this host I couldn't - I had purchased the spanish mini-catalogs to use as her invites - because she never got me a list, with either show. The show she cancelled the first time, she cancelled the night before and only cancelled because I called and left her a message saying I was sorry we had been unable to connect but that I felt sure with the messages I left and the informative emails I had sent her that her show would still be a success. I told her I had her info and I would bring ingredients for a quick dessert, since she had told me she wanted a desert, and I would be at her house 30 minutes prior to show time. That is when she called and left me a message cancelling.

But then.....she rescheduled. And that was the last time I heard from her, same scenerio, I left messages, sent emails, sent mail and didn't get her to answer the phone until I blocked my number today trying to reach her.

As for charging someone.............I have NEVER charged anyone for cancelling a show and I have never turned down a reschedule. I have had repeat hostesses who - no matter how much contact I have with them, and how much coaching I do - have had three and four shows that were never over $200 and never had a single booking from them. I am ALWAYS gracious to my hosts and treat them like gold. I do not turn away ANY show.

I have been with this company for over 12 years. I have moved my business five times - big moves every time - and will be moving again NEXT WEEK - a big move, over 2000 miles. Every time I move I start over completely new, not knowing anyone in the area I am going to. I am, right now, leaving a business that has been successful for me even though I have only been in this area for a little less than three years (and moved here 8 months pregnant with my first child). I am passing on nearly a dozen future hostesses to my downline in the area.

I understand emergencies - I'm married to a soldier and I have a two year old. I understand when a host says I tried to get people here, because I mail their invites and I coach them - sometimes it just happens that there's only one other person there, and the show goes on as if there were 12 because I'm there to do the same show no matter how many people are there - what I don't understand is just ignoring a person until you have to tell them you aren't doing anything because you don't want to be sitting on the couch in your pajamas when they show up at your door at show time, which is how I feel in this instance. I was not given a reason by this hostess other than "I'm going to have to cancel, some other things have come up".

I know I have no way to enforce collecting even if I were to want to do so. I simply wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of/talked with/or been a consultant who did charge for cancellations. Just like mentioned above, you would pay a fee if you cancelled an appointment you had made with other professionals - drs, lawyers, even hair salons charge for cancellations. I simple wonder if having a statement of some sort in the hostess packet telling that there is a charge for cancelling too close to the show date (except for in the event of an emergency), too many times, would make people take us more seriously as professionals running our own business.

If she wants to rebook, I would just explain to her that this IS your business and it is how you afford to do things for yourself and your family ... that you would love to do a show for her but that you need her promise that she will not leave you unemployed for the evening a 3rd time. If you say it polite enough, she'll probably understand. ;) I think sometimes it's not a matter of disrespect as much as the host not really grasping the concept of the consequences for YOU when they cancel at the last minute.
"I'm going to have to cancel, some other things have come up"
It is certainly an inconvenience to you and to your budget, but she may very well have a valid reason for canceling on you again. Accept the possibility that something very emotional has just happened in her life ... she may have been short with you to keep from crying on the phone. For all you know she just found out she has cancer, got fired, found out that her husband is having an affair, etc. Try and give her the benefit of the doubt. She may come back in a week or a month and tell you the rest of the story. ;)

Personally I wouldn't charge anyone but before I booked her date, I would require an address list and tell her that it is your policy that you do not rebook a show 3 times without an address list because it does affect your paycheck and family. I think if she isnt serious again...she wont return the call.

I recently had a hostess (After her show) stand me up TWICE to close her show. That is my limit---I missed 'tuck-ins' twice and my family will come first. I called her and simply told her voicemail (bc then she was completely ignoring me) that if I didnt hear from her by midnight that day that I would be forced to call her customers who used credit cards to confirm they still wanted to order and cancel her show completely. Her buddy with the credit card must have called her because she called me hysterical the next day begging me not to cancel. Those orders were in my mailbox with payment within an hour---funny how that works. That being said, I am still dealing with a declined credit card but whatever.

I personally would lay it on the line for her and bless and release. I know it is a business but it is my personal decision that I don't need THAT kind of business. Like you said, you are moving---dont worry about her. And I agree with the previous entries, take the Spanish catalogs to your new home and distribute them at local dr's offices etc. I personally would also pass her name onto your downline ...not to boycott her but so that they can require the list upfront as well. You could even offer the catalogs to them once reimbursed. The only difference will be the new products but the pictures would have to suffice for that. Good luck in your move!

I think under regular circumstances, I wouldn't charge a fee. I know some consultants put on their host letter in their packets some sort of verbage like, "Should you need to cancel or reschedule your show, please notify me as soon as possible. This is my business and my source of income, and it would be good to know so that I can make other arrangements...otherwise I'd be out of work that night." I know that's not worded right. I've heard it phrased much better...but it's that type of message. This way it's reminding people that you take your business seriously. I'm sorry you had to deal with this situation. I know it must be so stressful for you with the move and everything to boot. I know it stinks to have spent that money on her only to have it fall through. Since they are Spanish materials, is there a chance you can still use them where you're moving to? Maybe you can sell them at the marketplace here? Do you speak spanish? You could create a spanish/english label for the cover if you want to use them as handouts at a fair booth or lying around waiting rooms or where ever.Really, I think since you're moving and you won't be dealing w/ this lady again, you don't have anything to lose by asking for a reimbursement for the cost of your materials. But something tells me she's not going to answer you or send it. Unfortunately. You could try to get a message to her saying that normally you don't charge a cancellation fee like other businesses might do, but that since you purchased special time sensitive materials specifically for her, it would be great if she could compensate you for them. Especially at this time of moving and relocating your business. Would she be willing to do a catalog show? I know you probably want loose ends tied up before your move, but perhaps this one you could keep open. You really have till Sept. 15 to submit it, so maybe she could take a stab at it.

1. Can a host be charged for cancelling a Pampered Chef party?

Yes, a host can be charged for cancelling a Pampered Chef party. If a host cancels their party within 24 hours of the scheduled event, they may be subject to a $75 cancellation fee.

2. What happens if a host needs to cancel their party due to unforeseen circumstances?

If a host needs to cancel their party due to unforeseen circumstances, they should contact their Pampered Chef consultant as soon as possible. Depending on the situation, the cancellation fee may be waived.

3. Is there a way to avoid being charged for cancelling a party?

Yes, there are a few ways to avoid being charged for cancelling a party. If a host needs to cancel their party, they can reschedule it for a later date instead of cancelling. They can also invite a friend to take over as the host and still hold the party as planned.

4. What if a host wants to cancel their party because they didn't reach the minimum sales requirement?

If a host wants to cancel their party because they didn't reach the minimum sales requirement, they should still hold the party as planned. They can still earn host rewards and benefits based on the sales from their party, even if it falls below the minimum requirement.

5. What is the purpose of the cancellation fee?

The cancellation fee serves as compensation for the time and effort put in by the consultant to prepare for the party. It also helps cover any costs incurred for supplies or samples that were ordered specifically for the cancelled party.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefa
  • alabama pc cons.
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
alabama pc cons.
  • TheFreddiesCook