• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Do a "3X You're Out" With Cancellations?

In summary, cancelling a show can be disappointing, but working on your host coaching has been successful for more of my shows. Host #2 cancelled her show last November because her family was involved in an accident and she didn't feel it was fair to have a show. She sounded hesitant but I said okay and we rescheduled for January. She cancelled again last week and I'm trying to reschedule for March.
Chef Mary Rose
Cancellations are always a disappointment but I've been working on my host coaching more and having success with more of my shows "sticking."

However, I have one host who canceled her show last November claiming that "everyone" she knew was having some type of home party and she thought they were burned out. I said fine, we could reschedule. She didn't want to pick a date then so I called her a month later and we booked a January show date.

I got home from Leadership to find an email from her saying she had to cancel because her husband and kids were involved in an accident and she felt it was "too much" to have a show. (husband and kids are fine, but they need a new car) I sent back the email saying I understood and we could reschedule. I left a voicemail with her a few days ago and today finally caught up with her to see if we could reschedule. She sounded hesitant but I admit I glossed over it and asked if I could call her in another month and explained our March benefits to her. She did sound excited about the bamboo. :rolleyes:

My question: Would you still call or would you simply send an email to the host, asking her to contact you when she was interested in doing a show.

My concern is that I'll call her, we'll set up another date, and she'll cancel again. I really don't want to dread calling a host and I know some of them do stick with a third date. One of my hosts (I'll call her Host #2) did cancel two times with me - the third date she kept but only had two guests. :eek: Host #2 wanted to have another show and we booked one in January. Then she canceled a week and a half ago and we rescheduled for February although she sounds unenthusiastic.

I just feel like I'm in a quandry. I don't want to feel like I'm pulling hen's teeth with my hosts but that's what it has felt like with these two!

First off, get the guest list BEFORE you set a date. Explain nicely that this is a business for you and you can't afford to lose a date of work, so this is a new policy you have started in the new year....it could be a new policy for cancellations. Anyhoo, ask for the guest list in one week. I do this with my shows, but I usually do set a date before asking for the guest list. I have been able to rebook about 4 dates in January and February because the host knew I needed that day to work.

Oh, and secondly (duh), you never know if she is pulling your leg or truly running into some bad luck.

I don't mail host invites and have very few cancellations. I've had 2 hosts that canceled 3 times and when I rescheduled the 3rd time, I politely said this would be last time I could reschedule their show. Both canceled again I refused to work with them. I have about 1 cancellation every 3-4 months (doing about 6-8 shows a month) so I think that is pretty good. Most of my re-schedules are due to illness or emergencies so I understand and the 2nd always keeps. It is all about rapport and relationships.

For both hosts...I'd make one last call, for now.Your mileage may vary :)Last call-would ask them if they'd like to have a CATALOG show, sharing the catalog with friends and place an INDIVIDUAL order. Explain what benefits come with a minimum $150 in guest orders. Send or deliver 1 catalog with several OOF. Sometimes the thought of having people over is just too overwhelming for a lot of people, we don't know their circumstances. IF that didn't appeal, then inquire if they'd like to remain on my FREE newsletter list? No? Then ask if they would like to be removed from my call list (no hard feelings--say it with a smile in your voice).So far, I haven't had the "remove me" response...but do spend my energy on more productive calls. Sometimes life gets in the way, for a while, so I'd call again in 2 months and again when the new products become available in Autumn.

Last edited:
Good suggestions. I think I'm going to call Host #2 who scheduled in February and ask her if she really, REALLY, really wants to do a show. If she says yes, then I will tell her I want to work more closely with her on her invite list and I need the names and phone numbers of her guests. I've already explained to some of my hosts that I'd be more than happy to help them out by contacting their guests. I only had one take me up on it. (And she had a great turn-out anyway!)The host who just had the car accident in her family is another matter. I truly feel that since this is my business, then it is up to me to contact people who are interested but I also know I've not made it clear to these hosts that these shows are an important part of my income. It isn't just a side hobby for me. I'll give it some more thought and will also check in with my director on it.

If you go with the catalog show option (I do offer that after the first cancellation), then explain that when you have her live show, she gets the host special twice!!!

Did she cancel before invitations were sent? I mean, was it a last-minute cancellation, or several weeks before the show date?

edit - I had a host cancel many times, but ended up having that best show $1200 (over on the left).
However she let me know weeks in advance that the date had to change, and was still positive she wanted to have a show. Different things just kept coming up.

Last edited:
The host I am doing a show for tomorrow must have rescheduled 7 times. Seriously since last Feb! But I know each time it was really something wrong (illness, not enough people etc).

My DH just informed me that he thinks kids will be there. UGH! (no offense to anyone) but I guess the host never had any in home demos before. I shouldve been more clear.

Oh well, live and learn.

Not to mention its an hour away! But its ok....

I have one host who has cancelled 2 or 3 times and I quit calling to reschedule. I quit b/c I KNOW she has made the time for other home shows while for months she will cancel the PC show, so, I donot think for some reason her heart is in it. And she will cancel just a few days before the show, not in enough to for me to reschedule it. The last time I told her to giveme a call when she was ready. She is the only one I have had problems with. Others that have cancelled one, immediately rescheduled for later or turned it into a catalog show.

made the time for other home shows while for months she will cancel the PC show, so, I donot think for some reason her heart is in it. And she will cancel just a few days before the show, not in enough to for me to reschedule it.

That sounds like one to drop.

3 x your out is exactly what I doI will probablay sound like a _itch saying this but, if someone keeps cancelling on me the 3rd time I'll just nicely say, "when your ready give me a call" and thats it.
I am NOT going to look desperate.
I am NOT going to keep giving Friday nights to people who could care less what PC has to offer.

Yes it's disappointing and I can use the $$ but my time is worth more.
JMO ;)

reba515 said:
I will probablay sound like a _itch saying this but, if someone keeps cancelling on me the 3rd time I'll just nicely say, "when your ready give me a call" and thats it.
I am NOT going to look desperate.
I am NOT going to keep giving Friday nights to people who could care less what PC has to offer.

Yes it's disappointing and I can use the $$ but my time is worth more.
JMO ;)
I agree, and you don't sound like a female dog.

I've only put someone on my "out list" one time. She rescheduled on me about 5 times and was very very hard to get in touch with (this was before I started doing invitations for my hosts). The last time she rescheduled I asked her if she thought that this time we would be able to stick with the date because each time she cancels on me at the last minute I am unemployed and it hurts my family financially. Her response to me was "well, if you need dependable income then you should get a real job, that this was life in direct sales". Needless to say, she is no longer anywhere in my communications list. Oh yeah, she's a consultant for Body Shop at Home or somehting like that - I wonder how she treats her hosts?

pamperedlinda said:
I've only put someone on my "out list" one time. She rescheduled on me about 5 times and was very very hard to get in touch with (this was before I started doing invitations for my hosts). The last time she rescheduled I asked her if she thought that this time we would be able to stick with the date because each time she cancels on me at the last minute I am unemployed and it hurts my family financially. Her response to me was "well, if you need dependable income then you should get a real job, that this was life in direct sales". Needless to say, she is no longer anywhere in my communications list. Oh yeah, she's a consultant for Body Shop at Home or somehting like that - I wonder how she treats her hosts?

Linda, holy cow! Ooooo...I probably would not have been able to bite my tongue with that comment! I find it interesting when people think that Direct Sales isn't a "real job." As a matter of fact, I think I would go that route if anyone challenges me by saying it.

I have two other side business, both working from home. With both, I have to produce my own invoicing, advertising, promotion, PR, written materials, etc., etc., etc. Direct Sales is basically just having someone else provide support materials but in no way is it not a "real job."

If anyone pulls this type of attitude on me, I will immediately set them straight that I do consider Pampered Chef a "real job" with real expectations. How many roofers would keep visiting the same house to do a job if the client kept canceling on them? How many doctor's offices reschedule when a patient cancels on them? (I used to work at a health facility and those who were repeat cancellations for their appointments were usually ignored after awhile - no service for them, period. And their PCP was notified to let them know the patient would not keep their appointment.)

Those involved in direct sales know that nothing is written in stone. With the above host, I would have reminded her that as a businesswoman, I had made a commitment to her to hold the date and do my job. If she is unable to keep her end of the commitment, then it is best for me to understand that so I can work with someone who can stay true to hers.

Your time, Linda, is just as important and I'm so glad to know this deadwood woman is no longer on your list.

Part of the joys of having your own business is that often, you can decide who you want to do business with! :chef:

pamperedlinda said:
:eek: :eek: Linda!!!! I would have so had to tell that woman off!!!:eek: :eek:

Wow- some people really have nerve. One thing that I've also done as an "out" for someone who has decided that they really don't want to have a show is simply to tell them that if they've changed their mind about doing a show, it's ok - just let me know. I'm not going to hold it against them or be upset. I would just rather know so that I don't keep "bugging" them for a date. I've had a few hosts that have finally admitted to me that they really don't want to do a show and that they are so sorry.......and it's been for the best -for both of us.

chefmeg said:
:eek: :eek: Linda!!!! I would have so had to tell that woman off!!!:eek: :eek:
It was so hard not to! I just told her that I was sorry she felt that way, that we are all entitled to our opinion, said good bye, and I hung up. I immediately deleted her contact info from my files. She was looking for an arguement and I wasn't going to give it to her. I called the host she booked from and told her the story, she was very embarrassed and said she thought her friend was going through a bought of depression and that she had been treating a lot of people badly. I've been very fortunate in my biz to have very good hosts to partner with, I've had a few dingbats, and only that one rude one - I hope it stays this way.

pamperedlinda said:
It was so hard not to! I just told her that I was sorry she felt that way, that we are all entitled to our opinion, said good bye, and I hung up. I immediately deleted her contact info from my files. She was looking for an arguement and I wasn't going to give it to her. I called the host she booked from and told her the story, she was very embarrassed and said she thought her friend was going through a bought of depression and that she had been treating a lot of people badly. I've been very fortunate in my biz to have very good hosts to partner with, I've had a few dingbats, and only that one rude one - I hope it stays this way.

That's right, KILL EM WITH KINDNESS!! Usually it makes them more mad than a fight !! :D
DH laughs when I do this to his own mother, but hey who has that kind of energy to waste, when you can have a little fun with it !!

Linda, you're a fine woman. :) You took the high road and handled it professionally. Good for you! I can at times be tempted to spout off but I know the best response is truly the one you gave. No matter how rude or inconsiderate some hosts may be, I know the right thing to do is bow out graciously.

Chef Mary Rose said:
Linda, you're a fine woman. :) You took the high road and handled it professionally. Good for you! I can at times be tempted to spout off but I know the best response is truly the one you gave. No matter how rude or inconsiderate some hosts may be, I know the right thing to do is bow out graciously.
Trust me, I WANTED to spout off. I was SO MAD! The nerve of some people (oh, I'm getting worked-up all over again :mad: ) When I hung that phone up I was shaking and my heart was pounding and I was furious - I wanted to call her back and recite EVERY cuss word I had ever heard :D . But then she would have had the upperhand and won. This way, she was the one who lost b/c I didn't give her what she wanted from me. I think it took 3 days before my heart rate was normal. :eek:

Linda, I don't blame you. I would have felt the same way!

Another fun scenario that only takes place in my head...

"Oh, Miss Susie Rudeasallgetout, fantastic! You just gave me the needed anecdote for our next cluster meeting on how to handle difficult hosts! You be sure to give me a call next time you can provide such helpful material for my next gathering! Take care!"

Heheheh...If only I could live full-time in my mind... :D

I have only been in PC for a few months, and do it part time. I have had 2 cancel, one really was sick, but wanted to do a catty show and has since scheduled a cooking show for next month. The other lady was slow about making up her mind ect.... so when she finally called off the show, 3 days before I was not really surprised. I just told her to call me when she wanted to reschdule. I will probably call her in March and see if she is still interested.

I'm hoping I don't have a cancellation for tomorrow. I've already packed since I have to go to a funeral during the day. This host cancelled on me the day of the show the last time. I called her today to give her the shopping list, but she claimed she was in the car and would call me when she got home (I didn't hear any noise in the background like driving). I waited until 9:00 - no call. I called her and got voice mail. I left her a msg. of what she needs to purchase and told her she will not be able to reach me tomorrow due to the funeral. I'm hoping that will keep her from cancelling! I offered to just purchase the food for her and have her pay me back, but she said no to that. I really have a bad feeling about it. I'm afraid I won't be as nice tomorrow as I was the first time she cancelled. The problem is her sister is really nice and had a great show, I don't really want to be mean about it. It stinks!

I love it when I can't contact a host after weeks of planning and leave this message...
"I just wanted to confirm that will be at your home @ 5:30 unless I hear otherwise!"
Boy do they hop to and call back rightl quick...only to cancel of course!
:(

anyone ever have a show they hope WILL cancel and doesn't ??? It's almost as bad! :grumpy:
You know those really blah,unexcited, whatever hosts.

reba515 said:
anyone ever have a show they hope WILL cancel and doesn't ??? It's almost as bad! :grumpy:
You know those really blah,unexcited, whatever hosts.
Yep, I've had a few of those :yuck:

Yes, I've had those myself too!

I've never had anyone cancel more than once on me. My favorite are the people who get a hold of you 3 days or less before their show and cancel. I've never had anyone give me that good of an excuse (family death, sick, kids, etc). Although, after trying to reach them for 3 weeks and not getting an actual person on the phone, I usually don't count on those shows anyway and leave it up to them if they actually hold their show.

I've got an MIA Host for this coming Saturday. I just sent her a message opening the door for her to convert to a catalog show since it seems I can never connect on the phone with her. She was a booking from a health fair and I think it's easier for those kind of bookings to drop since we don't have a past host connection with them. I do hope she holds the show or at least the catty but I won't be surprised if I don't hear from her at all.

Rhonda - did she cancel?? I hope not!

I was wondering the same thing Joy. So Rhonda, what happened?

I have to eat crow now - she kept the show and did pick up all the ingredients. The sales total is just over $600. I was so happy she had enough to get the extra 50% off! I also got 3 bookings!! Now I feel really bad.

She appologized when I got there about not calling me. I said it was fine and I understand it gets busy. I told her I hoped she could understand my message since she wouldn't be able to reach me.

The good thing is she has a Weight Watchers meeting at her house every Monday night so people were already coming anyway. I made them two things out of "It's Good For You." I made the Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza and the Easy Apple Burritos. They loved both of them. They are a happy bunch and really liked talking and not listening to me, but that was okay. I just let groups have fun and talk like that. They appologized for talking. I told them that was fine. I always got in trouble for talking when I was little. My report cards would say, "Good student, but talks too much:)." They laughed and thought it was so funny. They talked about how they had a Home Interiors rep. before she left mad because they were talking through her demo and said that to them. Too funny!

Thanks for thinking about me:)!

Yay for Rhonda! So glad your host came through. And wow...3 bookings! Huzzah! :D

(Ren fest way of saying "Hooray!"...heheh)

Related to Anyone Do a "3X You're Out" With Cancellations?

1. Why do some hosts cancel their shows?

There can be many reasons for a host to cancel their show. Some common reasons include scheduling conflicts, illness or personal emergencies, or feeling overwhelmed with other commitments.

2. How can I reduce the number of cancellations from my hosts?

One effective way to reduce cancellations is through thorough host coaching. Make sure to communicate clearly and regularly with your hosts, reminding them of the benefits of hosting a show and helping them overcome any doubts or concerns they may have.

3. What should I do if a host cancels multiple times?

If a host cancels multiple times, it's important to address the issue directly with them. Ask them if there is a specific reason they keep cancelling and see if there is a solution that can be reached, such as rescheduling for a different date or offering to provide extra support for the show.

4. Should I still try to reschedule with a host who has cancelled multiple times?

It ultimately depends on the situation and your relationship with the host. If you feel that the host is genuinely interested in hosting a show and just needs some extra encouragement, it may be worth trying to reschedule. However, if the host seems consistently uninterested or unenthusiastic, it may be best to move on to other potential hosts.

5. How can I avoid feeling frustrated or discouraged when dealing with cancellations?

It's important to remember that cancellations are a natural part of the direct sales business and not a reflection of your abilities as a consultant. Try to focus on the positive aspects of your business and the successful shows you have had. Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to your upline or fellow consultants for support and advice when dealing with cancellations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcsharon1
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Krista Burson
  • TheFreddiesCook