• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do I Handle a Host Who Cancels Last Minute?

In summary, the host canceled on the customer 3 weeks before the show and did not respond to any communication. The customer is considering whether or not to say anything negative about the host.
kristina16marie
Gold Member
okay, so a host (that has already cancelled on me once before) has not responded to any of my emails, texts or calls for the last 3 weeks FINALLY emails me 3 days before her show to cancel. here is what her email said:

I'm sorry once again I'm going to have to cancel.. As you may know i'm a mary kay consultant and i have a double class to do this same day.

:mad: so i'm not trying to bash mk at all, but if you're in the direct sales biz YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!! especially since now i don't have a JOB this week! :cry:

so what i WANT to say is "you should know better" and "thanks for nothing" - but what SHOULD i say? should i just say "okay" and not try to reschedule her (again!) should i ask her to mail me back my host packet? i'm really at a loss and i don't want to say anything i'll regret or show pc in a bad light.

I would not even bother to respond. She obviously doesn't value your time and is not all that interested in doing a show. It is far from a priority for her. You don't need to spend any more time or energy on her.

Bless and release.

If you really want your packet back just send a reply asking her to return the packet so you can use it for another show. "Thanks for letting me know. Please return the host packet to me as soon as you can so I can pass it on to another host."

ETA: If she wants to re-book give her a date that you don't care if you work. Make it clear that this is income for you and if she doesn't hold the date you are not paid. Another thought: How about getting her to make it a catalog show? "I know you want to have a show but it seems like it's not working out for you. How about we make it a catalog party. Then you can just collect orders...."

thanks beth. i don't really NEED my packet back since it's the end of august & the new catalogs will be coming out. i just kinda wanted to do it so she got the point that if she wasn't going to follow through on having a show (twice) than i need the materials for someone who will. is that too spiteful & mean? i'm just kinda in that mood today and i'm asking for advice so i don't do something i'll regret...

I totally get that. Who knows who she knows and what she'll say to them. Stay nice.

Maybe just say: "Sorry to hear that! I was counting on the party. Since you already have the catalogs how about making it a catalog party. Just collect orders and you still get the host benefits. If you want more information about doing that let me know. The deadline for getting orders in with the catalogs you have is August 31 (or you pick a date before that)."

Then bless and release. If she does get orders she'll tell you. If she doesn't she'll just disappear but she has nothing bad to say about you because you nicely let her out of it.

Vent to us or your upline, never to the customer.

thanks beth. i'll do that. i can always count on my fellow cheffers to get me through! =)

omg! so i just sent out my "fall flash" newsletter to my customers and this "host" that cancelled on me today that this post is about - just UNSUBSCRIBED!!! lol - so i'm guessing she's not going to turn her cancelled cooking show into a catalog show eh?

I know that there are rare exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, MK consultants make the WORST PC hosts. And this one is at the top of the worst pile, because she had a show scheduled with you, and went ahead a scheduled her own "class" on the same day. Way to go keeping commitments. I don't think I'd be able to pass it by without nicely making some reference to that. Something along the lines of "wow - did you forget you had a pampered chef show scheduled with me when you scheduled something else? Since you are a MK consultant, I'm sure you'll understand that it's a bit hard, since now I don't have time to rebook that date, so I'll be out of a job for the evening. Oh well. Hope your class goes well for you.":D:D:D

Obviously she is a very selfish person. Another thought is, maybe she had a PC consultant as a guest or host at one of HER shows. She may have thought that they would spend more $ if she booked with them instead. Or maybe she was annoyed that you did not reciprocate the "favor" by having a MK party. Oh well, whatever the reason, it is best you don't do business with her.
But I do understand when we get in a "mood"! You want to call her out on canceling her party. You could always call and tell her you got her email. Also that you noticed she opted out of your newsletter and if there was a problem.

What about saying...." since you've already invited everyone, why don't you ask them if they would like to place an order as you call them to tell them you aren't having a show this weekend. we can turn it into a catalog show and you can still earn benefits."

Hard not to be spiteful, I agree.

I do know that at DE, we were told that if you can't reach the hostess 10 or so days before the show, to leave them a message saying something to the effect of "it is obviusly a really busy time for you..... I am going to go ahead and cancel unless I hear from you by 9pm tonight".
She said it was counter normal thinking, but it avoids last minute cancelations, and allows them to reschedule, or puts the fire in their pants to call you back.

:( That's just rude.

I'm pretty sure I'd respond too. Although I'd be tempted to send her a message telling her that she could kiss my derriere, I'd probably send something like:

It saddens me to hear that you are unable to hold your show this weekend. Although Pampered Chef is lots of fun for me, it's still how I can afford to do the little extras for my family. Now you have me wondering how long you've known that you were double booked & unable to host this weekend? I have been attempting to contact you for three weeks now. Had I known that long ago that you had double booked yourself, I might have been able to re-book today with another host. Since your late cancellation has left me insufficient time to re-book the date, you've left me unemployed for the day - not once but twice now. :(

Being in direct sales yourself, I'm sure you'll understand that I'm unable to re-schedule you for a 3rd Cooking Show date. I'm sure you would feel the same way if it were one of your hosts who had canceled twice at the last minute on you. I too have sales goals that I was trying to achieve and was counting on your show to help me reach my goals. I am just very sad over this whole situation. I'll be more than happy to switch you over to a Catalog Show so that you can still earn the items that you were wanting for free or at a discount. If you have any questions or wish to change your show to a Catalog Show, please do not hesitate to call or e-mail.

Sheila said:

It saddens me to hear that you are unable to hold your show this weekend. Although Pampered Chef is lots of fun for me, it's still how I can afford to do the little extras for my family. Now you have me wondering how long you've known that you were double booked & unable to host this weekend? I have been attempting to contact you for three weeks now. Had I known that long ago that you had double booked yourself, I might have been able to re-book today with another host. Since your late cancellation has left me insufficient time to re-book the date, you've left me unemployed for the day - not once but twice now. :(

Being in direct sales yourself, I'm sure you'll understand that I'm unable to re-schedule you for a 3rd Cooking Show date. I'm sure you would feel the same way if it were one of your hosts who had canceled twice at the last minute on you. I too have sales goals that I was trying to achieve and was counting on your show to help me reach my goals. I am just very sad over this whole situation. I'll be more than happy to switch you over to a Catalog Show so that you can still earn the items that you were wanting for free or at a discount. If you have any questions or wish to change your show to a Catalog Show, please do not hesitate to call or e-mail.

Nicely done---shows that you are aware of how rude she was by doing this to you, but leaves her an out to have submit catalog orders.

thanks guys. i'm just at a loss for words about this one. i still can't believe she unsubscribed herself from my newsletter today. am i the only one that takes it personally when someone unsubscribes?

Don't sweat it. She's probably embarrassed about what she did to you & she's trying to sever the ties. ;)

Great verbage Sheila!

Thanks Gail & Melissa! I stressed "sad" over "angry" so she'd feel guilty vs. defensive. LOL

Here's what I do for all hosts- hope this eliminates this situation from happening to you again...
We set the date- they have 5 days to get their list to me. I make it very clear that if they don't have the list to me by "x" date I will rebook that date. I will call them the day before their list is due to remind them that I need the list by the next day or I will assume they need to reschedule and I will rebook the date. If I don't receive the list, I rebook.
I have had it happen that I received a list after the due date and I had already rebooked the date and when that has happened I simply let them know that we will need to choose a new date since the original is no longer available.
This eliminates the rescheduling/cancellation issue since the party will hold once I have the guest list! (it is more "real" in the hosts eyes) and yes, I do send out invites for my host so that also helps solidify the party.
Even if you don't send invites for your hosts you can still do this by requesting a guest list from them and tell them that this guest list will "reserve" their date. You can also let them know that you will be sending out a phonevite to everyone letting them know about the party (phonevite is a Pampered Perk for us! use it! it rocks!)
I take my business seriously since this is my full time income and I simply don't have time for wishy-washy hosts. Do or don't but I'm not waiting around for you since the world holds millions of folks and I know there are some who really want to party with me! :) (of course that is said in the most loving of ways LOL!)
Hope this helps!
**little update: as of this week I am giving them 48 hours to get their list back to me- learned this on a call I just listened to and I am going to try it for the next 3 months and see if I like the shortened time frame better.

kristina16marie said:
thanks guys. i'm just at a loss for words about this one. i still can't believe she unsubscribed herself from my newsletter today. am i the only one that takes it personally when someone unsubscribes?

I tell everyone at my shows that if they give me their email, I'll add them to my newsletter, and they can unsubscribe at any time, and I do NOT take it personally. Some people just get too many emails or don't have time.

Sheila said:

I'm pretty sure I'd respond too. Although I'd be tempted to send her a message telling her that she could kiss my derriere, I'd probably send something like:

Funny part about your email is that is what I basically said to my host for Sunday and she came back calling me rude and in no way does she think I should be scolding her! :rolleyes:

wadesgirl said:
Funny part about your email is that is what I basically said to my host for Sunday and she came back calling me rude and in no way does she think I should be scolding her! :rolleyes:

ha! tell her that she should have come up with a better excuse to get out of the party! lol.

kristina16marie said:
ha! tell her that she should have come up with a better excuse to get out of the party! lol.

That was my thinking!

I actually did tell a host once that I wouldn't set a date until I had her guest list after she already cancelled on me twice. I also did tell her that if we needed to find another consultant for her to work with I would be happy to look into someone for her. I was sick of her screwing me around but she did finally host a $800 party for me!

Really, people like that could care less about hurting you or making you angry. Save your words and time. Don't put out negative emails or calls and possibly burn your bridge.

I'd be furious too...I have been there...thus now I REQUIRE a guest list in order to proceed w/ a show. Anyhoo, shoot her an email saying something like,

"Thanks for letting me know. I know you were looking forward to getting your wish list items for free, 60% and 50% off. How about proceeding with a catalog show? Since you are really busy this can make the perfect solution for you! What do ya say?"

You NEVER know...she may go w/ it and have a $1,000 catty show and find a few people who want to book shows. Don't ever burn bridges...no matter how pissed you get. But, yes, I would not entertain the thought ever of booking her for another cooking show...unless she gives you a guest list no later than 3 weeks before the scheduled party.

I agree with the last post. Don't waste your time. I wouldn't even offer a catalog show. I had a "host" last year that cancelled several times, we made it a catalog show, she didn't "have time". I'd changed out the host packet several times for the different months specials and just let her be. She called back this year: she set a date,ignored all communications,no guest list, cancelled, said she was moving. I'm not calling back. My time is worth something.

lockhartkitchen said:
I agree with the last post. Don't waste your time. I wouldn't even offer a catalog show. I had a "host" last year that cancelled several times, we made it a catalog show, she didn't "have time". I'd changed out the host packet several times for the different months specials and just let her be. She called back this year: she set a date,ignored all communications,no guest list, cancelled, said she was moving. I'm not calling back. My time is worth something.

I absolutely agree that our time is worth something, that's a great statement. I wouldn't even bother replying. Why put out that negative energy anyway? I want to do shows for hosts who WANT shows, not to have to rs several times, etc. Just be done with it and I wouldn't respond AT ALL.

The main reason I would respond is to let her know that she's not going to walk all over me again. Failure to respond indicates acceptance of the behavior. It also leaves you open to have her e-mail later wanting to book a 3rd show, then you'll basically have to do what you could have done now ... put an end to her being so inconsiderate with you and hopefully open her eyes so that she realizes how upset she would be if someone did that to her. I'm nice 99% of the time, but having done a career as a Police Dispatcher taught me to stand up for myself when it's warranted. I can certainly get mean when I have to. My Dad was paralyzed from the neck down, had a HORRIBLE urinary tract infection once & his Urologist was telling him (on Friday night) that he was okay & could wait for an appointment in the office on Monday. He ended up in the ER on Sat night & they admitted him for IV antibiotics, it was THAT bad. Monday morning, the Urologist came into Dad's hospital room mad that he went to the ER & actually trying to lecture him for not waiting to come into the office on Monday. As Dad was trying to justify his reasons, I noticed that the Urologist was looking out the window, watching TV, looking at things around the room, etc. He was doing everything except LISTENING to his patient. I rudely informed him that if he wasn't going to LISTEN to his patient, then he was wasting his time and our time & he could leave. My Dad, having never seen me "go off" on someone, laid there watching in amazement. This man who usually has everything to say to defend himself, was completely quiet while the Dr. and I had a bit of a squabble. The Dr. said he didn't want to be my Dad's Dr. & stormed out of the room. One hour later, he returned & admitted that I was right, he had lost focus and was not listening. He apologized for his attitude & asked if it would be okay for him to continue being my Dad's Dr. I told him it wasn't my decision to make, that was between he & my Father. Dad agreed. From that day forward, the Urologist did a complete 180 on his bedside manner. And I found out a year later from a co-worker that it wasn't just with my Dad, it was with ALL of his patients. Me fronting him out on his lack of interest opened his eyes to the fact that he had lost focus with his career and prompted him to change his attitude towards his patients and be more attentive and actually listen to them. Should I yell at every Dr. that doesn't do what I think they should do? No. But once in a blue moon you might come across that one person who does in fact need to understand that what they've done is unacceptable. ;)The same thing with PC. You don't have to yell at a host, but when warranted, it's okay to relay (in a polite manner) that you're done with them walking all over you and that the behavior will not continue. I do the blurbs in my host coaching e-mails about PC being fun, but it is how I afford the little extras for my family and that if they need to cancel, I would appreciate adequate notice to re-book the date so that I'm not left unemployed for the evening. Before doing that, I had 2 that went MIA. I e-mailed, called, left messages, etc & never heard back from them. On both, I finally resorted to "if I haven't heard back from you by _________, then I'll assume you are no longer interested in having your Pampered Chef party and I'll make alternate plans with my family ..." Since doing the e-mail blurb, I can't think of one host who's canceled at the last minute and I've never had one cancel twice on me.

wow sheila, good for you for standing up for your dad.

i did end up emailing her offering her a catalog show & she responded by unsubscribing from my newsletter, so i just left it at that. like sheila said earlier, she's probably just cutting ties, and that's fine with me because i don't want to schedule her a third time!

Sheila said:
T I rudely informed him that if he wasn't going to LISTEN to his patient, then he was wasting his time and our time & he could leave. My Dad, having never seen me "go off" on someone, laid there watching in amazement. This man who usually has everything to say to defend himself, was completely quiet while the Dr. and I had a bit of a squabble. The Dr. said he didn't want to be my Dad's Dr. & stormed out of the room. One hour later, he returned & admitted that I was right, he had lost focus and was not listening. He apologized for his attitude & asked if it would be okay for him to continue being my Dad's Dr. I told him it wasn't my decision to make, that was between he & my Father. Dad agreed. From that day forward, the Urologist did a complete 180 on his bedside manner. And I found out a year later from a co-worker that it wasn't just with my Dad, it was with ALL of his patients. Me fronting him out on his lack of interest opened his eyes to the fact that he had lost focus with his career and prompted him to change his attitude towards his patients and be more attentive and actually listen to them.
As a health care worker and as a patient, good for you, Sheila. Doctors are just people like the rest of us, and we all need to be called on our stuff sometimes. People don't usually call doctors out thought, so it is not an exaggeration to say that you may have saved not only your father's life, but that of many other patients.My inlaws never question the doctors, which is one reason why whenever one of them is sick, Sharon goes to stay with them. Mainly to help out, but also to ask questions, usually just for understanding, but there are times when vigilance is called for, too.Good job!Kristina, I've been thinking about your story a lot as I start my career. Interesting how many are waffling now. Thanks for sharing it, and I am so sorry you had this experience.

Kristina, I've been thinking about your story a lot as I start my career. Interesting how many are waffling now. Thanks for sharing it, and I am so sorry you had this experience.

Thanks, I hope it doesn't deter or freak anyone out. I've never had this happen before (cancelling twice), so it's a rare occurrance. I just need to adjust my host coaching to make sure it never happens again. =)

1. How do I politely address a sensitive topic?

The best way to address a sensitive topic is by using "I" statements and expressing your feelings without attacking the other person. For example, instead of saying "You always make a mess in the kitchen," you could say "I feel overwhelmed when there is a lot of clutter in the kitchen."

2. What are some ways to give constructive criticism without being rude?

Start by acknowledging the person's efforts and strengths, then offer specific suggestions for improvement. Avoid using negative or judgmental language and focus on the behavior or action, not the person.

3. How can I politely decline an invitation or request?

Be honest and direct, but also show appreciation for the invitation or request. You can say something like "Thank you for thinking of me, but I won't be able to attend. I appreciate the invitation though!"

4. How do I navigate a difficult conversation without hurting someone's feelings?

Listen actively and try to understand the other person's perspective. Avoid interrupting or getting defensive. Use non-confrontational language and try to find a solution or compromise together.

5. How can I politely remind someone of a task or deadline?

Instead of using accusatory language, try using a friendly and respectful tone. You can say something like "Just a friendly reminder that the deadline is coming up soon. Let me know if you need any help with the task."

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefa
  • pamperedcheermom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pamperedcheermom
  • PamperedchefDaly