• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Welcome Home! Melissa's Baby Boy is Here!

In summary, Mommy had her baby boy on Thursday and everything went great. She is breastfeeding without any problems, but is worried about the weight. Her oldest child weighed less at his two week check-up then at birth and is almost 24 years old. She has prayers for her and her new baby's weight to go up tomorrow.
mbh06
Silver Member
I thought I would let everyone know that I am home from the hospital and back on the computer! I had my baby boy on Thursday at 7:54 am. He was born via c-section and everything went wonderful. My DH even got to cut the umbilical cord :D He weighed 9 lbs. and was 22 in long. I was told he would be between 7 to 7.5lbs. so I was shocked when I saw him!! I am doing great, however he has been going for bilirubin tests b/c he is borderling :( and tomorrow will be trip 2 to the doc. He is also not began to gain weight so I am very worried. If everyone could say a prayer for his weight to go up tommorow for me I would appreciate it very much. He is breastfeeding w/o any problems so I don't understand. Thank you for all your help and good luck to all the other preganant cheffers out there!
I have an online blog w/ pics...
http://melissahaddon.blogspot.com

Congratulations! I am sure everything is fine, but we will be praying for your little man!

mbh06 said:
I thought I would let everyone know that I am home from the hospital and back on the computer! I had my baby boy on Thursday at 7:54 am. He was born via c-section and everything went wonderful. My DH even got to cut the umbilical cord :D He weighed 9 lbs. and was 22 in long. I was told he would be between 7 to 7.5lbs. so I was shocked when I saw him!! I am doing great, however he has been going for bilirubin tests b/c he is borderling :( and tomorrow will be trip 2 to the doc. He is also not began to gain weight so I am very worried. If everyone could say a prayer for his weight to go up tommorow for me I would appreciate it very much. He is breastfeeding w/o any problems so I don't understand. Thank you for all your help and good luck to all the other preganant cheffers out there!
Congratulations Mommy and Baby:) :)
Don't stress too much about the weight issue. My oldest weighed less at his two week check-up then at birth and he is almost 24 and only been sick 4 times in his life.
Prayers are going your way for you and your family. Keep the faith All will be well. Laurel

Okay I am computer stupid, I tired to change my profile pic and it didn't work. However, my laptop is about dead so I will do it later when I have time to figure out why it isn't working

Babies lose a little weight right after birth, give him some time, he will start gaining.Oh, by the way, congratulations!!!!

I just checked out your blog. He is soooo cute! Congratulations! Try not to worry too much about the jaundice. All my kids (all 4) had jaundice when they were born. Two of them ended up being under bilirubin lights for a few days. Has the doctor said anything about Hunter not gaining weight yet? I know babies lose weight when they are first born so hopefully that is all it is. Keep us updated! We'll all be praying for you!

congrats on your new baby as everyone else said I wouldnt worry about the weight. If I am correct they should be back to the birth right at 2 weeks. good luck tomorrow.

mbh06 said:
Congratulations!!! I am a La Leche League leader, and if you want to e-mail me privately with any questions please feel free. By the way, it's completely normal for babies not to gain weight in the first few days. If he has gained his weight back by two weeks then you're golden. It's also very common for breastfed babies to be slightly jaundiced. They even call it "breastfed jaundice" and studes have shown it's actually beneficial to the baby! Most hospitals and pediatricians don't keep up on the latest breastfeeding studies (and they should!) so they scare mothers with out of date information. Please let us know how it's going and feel free to e-mail me if you need any help at all.

Oh Melissa, Hunter is so adorable! Clay looks like he is going to be a great big brother. :D Too bad it isn't summer you could lay Hunter naked in the sun. Supposed to be great for Jaundice. I am sure that everything is going to be fine! I will pray for you though, just in case. :D Take care!

Hang in there Melissa - he will grow strong quickly. Congrats to you and your family.

My son was 9 lb 11 1/2 oz when he was born 23 1/2 years ago. Kevin didn't gain weight until his third week. The doctor told me that because he was so big and he was 2 weeks late that he had extra fluid inside of him that he was getting rid of before we would see any weight gain. The doctor told me not to worry until he did.

Just to let you know, I have only two children and there is 16 years, 8 months, and 1 day between my son who was born May 7, 1983 and my daughter "LUCY" who was born January 8, 2000.

One last note, do remember to tell the doctor about the spitting up because reflux can be treated. My daughter Lucy was born with reflux and she was put on medicine and cereal in her milk when she was only 5 days old. We couldn't bring her home until she was able to hold down 2 oz of milk. She was able to do that on day 5 and we left the hospital when the doctor gave us the go ahead and that was 11:40pm at night. After taking her home we had to feed her 1 to 2 oz every 2 hours for 4 months (there is a little more information about my daughter under the photo section titled My Reason for PC.)

PS Congratulations on the birth of your son "Hunter"

~

Last edited:
Congratulations!! I will say a prayer for you and your new bundle of joy!!

How cute is he? Congrats!!!! You look wonderful in your hospital bed! Not like my picture that I wouldn't dare show! LOL!!

He is Beautiful Melissa! CONGRATULATIONS!!! By the way, what a great day to have a birthday!!!:D ;)

chefkristin said:
How cute is he? Congrats!!!! You look wonderful in your hospital bed! Not like my picture that I wouldn't dare show! LOL!!

I completely agree Kristen! You do look great Melissa! I totally thought that as well!!!:D

Congratulations! Both of your boys are adorable!

Hope things are going well- before you supplement (if they try to get you to do that...) go see a lactation consultant. When my little guy was born, we went through the same thing with the jaundice. The doctors really had me freaked out and worried that he wasn't gaining wieght quickly enough and insisted that I supplement him. (Now, I was doing well with BF at this point...but then I followed their advice and supplemented with a bottle.) If I would have checked with my BF consultant, she would have told me he was fine weight wise and NOT to use a bottle ever! I really believe that I would have NOT had the three month battle that I had with getting breastfeeding to work well with no supplement. I ended up using a feeding attachment where a tube tapes to your nipple so the baby gets formula along with mother's milk, but that was AFTER I had already used a bottle which made him not want to suck hard enough during breastfeeding. I did not see a breastfeeding consultant till around 2.5 or 3 weeks. By then, I was really struggling to make BF work. No matter what, I wanted BF to work, so I stuck it out and at about 3 months really "turned the corner" and never looked back. I am so glad that I never gave in! He is 21 months old now, and has only been sick (and only slighly) twice. I love our BF times now cuz it's the only time he will let me cuddle with him! He still BF before his nap and before bedtime, and sometimes not even then.

Anyhow, if you MUST supplement (which it sounds like you really shouldn't need to) then use one of those feeder attachment things. The hospital should be able to give you a disposable one to use for a short amount of time. That way, the baby is still nursing from you (and stimulating milk production) but getting supplemented at the same time. Talk to a BF consultant that you trust. They work with little ones every day, so they know what is OK and what's not.

Good luck!
Sorry I rambled on...just don't want to see anyone go through what I did!
;)

Congrats & cute pics:)

Congratulations...My daughter is expecting #4 at the end of March (if she makes it that far). That will make #8 grandchild for me. I love being a grandma. Snuggle that baby and give him a kiss from all of us. Childbirth is truly a miracle.:)

Congratulations! You both look great...good luck :)

Congratulations...how cute!

Congratulations!!!!!!!

KellyTheChef said:

Hope things are going well- before you supplement (if they try to get you to do that...) go see a lactation consultant. When my little guy was born, we went through the same thing with the jaundice. The doctors really had me freaked out and worried that he wasn't gaining wieght quickly enough and insisted that I supplement him. (Now, I was doing well with BF at this point...but then I followed their advice and supplemented with a bottle.) If I would have checked with my BF consultant, she would have told me he was fine weight wise and NOT to use a bottle ever! I really believe that I would have NOT had the three month battle that I had with getting breastfeeding to work well with no supplement. I ended up using a feeding attachment where a tube tapes to your nipple so the baby gets formula along with mother's milk, but that was AFTER I had already used a bottle which made him not want to suck hard enough during breastfeeding. I did not see a breastfeeding consultant till around 2.5 or 3 weeks. By then, I was really struggling to make BF work. No matter what, I wanted BF to work, so I stuck it out and at about 3 months really "turned the corner" and never looked back. I am so glad that I never gave in! He is 21 months old now, and has only been sick (and only slighly) twice. I love our BF times now cuz it's the only time he will let me cuddle with him! He still BF before his nap and before bedtime, and sometimes not even then.

Anyhow, if you MUST supplement (which it sounds like you really shouldn't need to) then use one of those feeder attachment things. The hospital should be able to give you a disposable one to use for a short amount of time. That way, the baby is still nursing from you (and stimulating milk production) but getting supplemented at the same time. Talk to a BF consultant that you trust. They work with little ones every day, so they know what is OK and what's not.

Good luck!
;)

Kelly - I went thru the EXACT same struggles! It was like reading my story to read yours! So I totally agree - ask for a BF consultant -the hospital should have some on staff! My consultant was wonderful! Everyone around me wanted me to just go to formula....but since my son was 4 weeks early, I wanted to give him the best start that I could health wise, and was determined to make BF work! He had problems learning to suck, and lost alot of weight in the beginning, When he was a week old, he had to be in the hospital under lights for 4 days, and also to monitor his weight, and fluid in vs. fluid out (they weighed every diaper for 3 days) I stayed right there with him, and the BF consultant came in several times a day to help me help him learn to suck. We went home with a feeding attachment, and a monster breast pump, and I pumped enough so that when I nursed, and had the other tube hooked up, he was getting all breast milk. I'm so glad that I did that! He is 2 1/2, and is so healthy...never had an earache, or anything other than a slight cold....mild case of chickenpox.....and a couple of weeks ago, his first bout with the 'flu! I hear about all these kids his age who are on antibiotics for ear infections, and getting tubes in thier ears, and I am so glad I worked as hard as I did - it's all worth it to have a healthy baby!

Congratulations and prayers going your way! What a blessing!!

Congratulations to the newest addition to your family!

He sure is cute, congrats:D

What an adorable baby! I love the pic of big brother (right?) giving him a kiss. So sweet!

Congratulations!!!

Thank you for all your prayers. We went to the doc again this morning for second bilirubin test and find out results later today. He is very orange today, but they think he will get over it on his own. He gained an ounce, but they are still going to monitor him. Nothing was said about supplementing thankfully b/c I think my DH would have had to carry me out of the office. I realized he isn't latching on correctly and talked to a nurse that has breastfeed all 6 of her children and she gave me some good advice so hopefully it all works out. If not I am going to contact a lactation consultant. I had no problems with my first son so this is all new. I thought it would be easier the second time! Guess I was wrong. Oh, the pics of me in the hospital was on my second day and I was on some good drugs (d/t c-section) The pics of me on the first day are funny b/c I have huge smile b/c I was so out of it :) I can't wait to see pics of everyone else's babies! We need to start a thread on when everyone is due... or is one already started??
Thanks again!!

What a sweet baby. And boy...9 lbs! I was a 9 pounder when I was born. I am sure that everything will tuen out to be just fine with his test results. I am no expert, but I dont think you have much to be worried about. I could see if your baby was small (7 lbs and under) but he is a very healthy weight and will grow into his size when his little body knows its time. :)

Last edited:
He's just absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

CongratsCongratulations!! I am so happy for you. Don't worry about the weight gain issue, now that you know that he isn't latching on right, you can fix the problem and you will have a plump little one in no time.

Supplementing is a bad word in my house. LOL

But it had to be done for me because I had to have my gall bladder removed a week after my son was born and daddy had to take over at home. I pumped a little but with all that anisthesia in my system, I couldn't do much.

I look forward to a long time of breastfeeding my new little one in July, Lord willing!!

Debbie :D

I noticed you had posted and thought about asking in another post, but I figured I would find one announcing your return. Congrats on the new baby, he sure looks very healthy, even before reading that he was 9 pounds, lol. I wouldn't worry too much I think almost all babies have a little jaundice when they are born, I know mine did. I think with him being such a big healthy weight that it shouldn't be much of a worry, now relax, and enjoy that new baby, and for goodness sake GET SOME SLEEP! LOL.

CONGRATULATIONS! He is beautiful!!!

I agree w/many of the others. Jaundice is very common. All three of mine had it and they were big babies as well (8.9, 10.1 and 9).

I had no luck w/breast feeding, but did try with all of them.

Best of luck!

Congratulations and best wishes. Both of your boys are gorgeous!

Congratulations Melissa! What a beautiful big boy - it flashes me back to my 3 when they were little - my 12 year old son was 10 lbs. 11 oz! But nothing like a big baby - more to cuddle - your other son is just a doll as well. Good luck with those early days of the c-section (I had 3 of them - I remember the pain!) - try and get some rest and enjoy your little ones (they get big so fast!) - take care :)

mbh06 said:
Thank you for all your prayers. We went to the doc again this morning for second bilirubin test and find out results later today. He is very orange today, but they think he will get over it on his own. He gained an ounce, but they are still going to monitor him. Nothing was said about supplementing thankfully b/c I think my DH would have had to carry me out of the office. I realized he isn't latching on correctly and talked to a nurse that has breastfeed all 6 of her children and she gave me some good advice so hopefully it all works out. If not I am going to contact a lactation consultant. I had no problems with my first son so this is all new. I thought it would be easier the second time! Guess I was wrong. Oh, the pics of me in the hospital was on my second day and I was on some good drugs (d/t c-section) The pics of me on the first day are funny b/c I have huge smile b/c I was so out of it :) I can't wait to see pics of everyone else's babies! We need to start a thread on when everyone is due... or is one already started??
Thanks again!!
Before spending the big bucks on an LC see if there is a local La Leche League in your area. Leaders go through extensive training and their services are FREE.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/Two posts down I provide a direct link for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
KellyTheChef said:

Good luck!
;)

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I see this kind of thing all the time as a La Leche League leader. It's called "nipple confusion" and it's pretty hard to correct sometimes. One pacifier, or one bottle and all your hard work to get baby to latch on to the breast is gone! Some babies can go from pacifier or bottle to breast with no problem at all, but others get terribly confused and cannot.

When a baby sucks on a pacifier or bottle nipple they do so with the front of their mouth. The breast goes all the way to the back. It's completely different and it gets confusing for them. Using the SNS, or Supplemental Nursing System, the cord that you tape to your breast while you give pumped breastmilk or formula is a great way to help baby learn to get back to the breast. I applaud you for all of your efforts!!! I know it's a hard road and you did a great job Momma!!!

Just in case you need it - here's a link to all of the listed LLL meetings in Indiana. I didn't see Brazil listed there, but you can see if any of the other places are close to you.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web/Indiana.html

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmoseley
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • pamperedtraci
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dianevill