• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fall Open House Failure: The Disappointing Reality of an Empty Event

In summary, Lauri's experience was that hosting an open house is a lot of work and you need to be prepared for everyone who declines. Mindy's experience was that her Fall Open House was a failure because no one came and she will have to do more phone calls in order to get people's orders. Both hosts suggest doing fairs in order to get people's attention.
CABean03
Well it is now 9:27 p.m. and my Fall Open House is officially over, but wait, if nobody comes then did it ever really begin???

I sent out 89 invites to past customers, guests, etc. and not a single person showed up tonight. My table looks great with the Fall products I had ordered to display and it was all for naught. :(

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Thanks,
Mindy

Sorry to hear of your terrible night.

Did you host coach yourself? Follow up w/ phonecalls etc?

I am having a thank you party next week. I sent 165 e-vites. 20 people responded. So tomorrow, my plan is to be on the phone all day to connect w/ people.

OH man! that really stinks. I'm so sorry. I've never done an open house.

Man I hate calling people, but you're right, I should have been on that phone 24/7 making sure I had a full house. :( Thanks for the feedback and good luck with your show.

laurichef said:
Sorry to hear of your terrible night.

Did you host coach yourself? Follow up w/ phonecalls etc?

Lauri's right, you have to do everything you expect your hosts to do. Personal invitations (calls), reminder calls, asking for booking/recruit leads when making calls, etc.

CABean03 said:
Well it is now 9:27 p.m. and my Fall Open House is officially over, but wait, if nobody comes then did it ever really begin???

I sent out 89 invites to past customers, guests, etc. and not a single person showed up tonight. My table looks great with the Fall products I had ordered to display and it was all for naught. :(

Thanks,
Mindy

Hi Mindy,

I just had my Fall/Winter kickoff show, and I invited 75 people and 4 showed up. I had roughly 10 people to show, and it didn't happen. I will eventually have decent sales once I get everyone's order. I had many people decline, and I had a lot not respond. I tried to call many of the guests but I ran out of time due to kid's stuff and show preparation. It does make a difference calling everyone but I wish more people would RSVP.

CABean03 said:
Man I hate calling people, but you're right, I should have been on that phone 24/7 making sure I had a full house. :( Thanks for the feedback and good luck with your show.

I hate calling too. Actually dreading today :yuck:... Especially for those who I know don't read email, so I'll have to explain the whole thing to them.

I was listening to the show and sell cd in the car last night, and the one thing they always say, is that the phone thing works. The more you pick it up, the better the words get flowing. Before you know it, 3,2,1 is a habit, you have a full calender, and the phone does not weigh a ton.
Now if I could just take my own advice....

On another note, are you doing any fairs? Now you have great products to set up, and I'm sure your display was amazing, so take it on the road! No phonecalls involved. People just come. :)

I had an open house when I got started...actually 3 months after I got started. I mailed over 45 invitations. I had no RSVP's and 5 guests came. I think my mom's friend spent $20 but that was all the sales for that night.

My heart goes out to you! But this is not failure its feedback...learn from it. Think about what you can do next time to get some bodies in the door :)

Mine was a bomber and I sent over 200 invites out! My friends came for support and 2 previous customers. I did a post call, but I guess that wasn't enough

My sister, sister-in-law and I did a "Homemade for the Holidays" community party last year. We talked it up at all of our shows, handed out tons of invites, hung posters/invites all over town and sent e-mails. We rented a room and got all of our tables set up. We had stations to make the pretzel wreaths, the amazing potato demo, and to try the cookie press, as well as "new kit" table. We rented the room for 3 hours. After an hour, no one had shown. The woman in charge told us that if no one came, we wouldn't have to pay the rental fee. She felt really bad for us. At the end of 2 1/2 hours we started packing up. No one showed. But, at least we didn't have to pay, spent good PC talking/training time with sister and SIL, and brainstormed ideas for how we could make this year work. In the end, we decided the biggest problem was that it was too close to Christmas and people were too busy - that was the most common RSVP that we got. We'll have to see if we can make it wok this year.

fikibiff said:
My sister, sister-in-law and I did a "Homemade for the Holidays" community party last year. We talked it up at all of our shows, handed out tons of invites, hung posters/invites all over town and sent e-mails. We rented a room and got all of our tables set up. We had stations to make the pretzel wreaths, the amazing potato demo, and to try the cookie press, as well as "new kit" table. We rented the room for 3 hours. After an hour, no one had shown. The woman in charge told us that if no one came, we wouldn't have to pay the rental fee. She felt really bad for us. At the end of 2 1/2 hours we started packing up. No one showed. But, at least we didn't have to pay, spent good PC talking/training time with sister and SIL, and brainstormed ideas for how we could make this year work. In the end, we decided the biggest problem was that it was too close to Christmas and people were too busy - that was the most common RSVP that we got. We'll have to see if we can make it wok this year.

Start planning now, because you should really do it in October!! People are just starting to seriously think about Christmas, and are expecting to see Holiday themed fairs!

I just had my open house; I made it a Mystery Host open house to give some incentive for people to come. I had around 10 guests, and I believe I'm going to end up with around $500 in sales.

I never had success with them either------don't feel bad, happens to many of us!

I don't do open houses either, no one comes to any of mine! I feel your pain!

chefsteph07 said:
I don't do open houses either, no one comes to any of mine! I feel your pain!
I think open houses are okay if you don't call them an open house. Have a start time, just like a show. Send out invites, and make phone calls. The phone calls are the most important. I sent out "save the date" cards about two weeks ago for my show on November 13. I'm sending out twice as many a month before. I'll be calling everyone on the invite list. I made my postcards on Vistaprint, so I was able to put things like "Get a prize for .....RSVP by November 8, bringing a friend, being on time, helping with the recipe, etc."

I've had three other shows, and I treated them like regular shows except more prizes and less demo. Calling guests is the best way to have high attendance and high sales. Ask anyone who says "no" if they'd like to see a catalog or go to your website. There is still plenty of time to schedule another show. Only send the invites to the amount of people you're willing to call. You can always call more people.

JAE said:
I think open houses are okay if you don't call them an open house. Have a start time, just like a show. Send out invites, and make phone calls. The phone calls are the most important. I sent out "save the date" cards about two weeks ago for my show on November 13. I'm sending out twice as many a month before. I'll be calling everyone on the invite list. I made my postcards on Vistaprint, so I was able to put things like "Get a prize for .....RSVP by November 8, bringing a friend, being on time, helping with the recipe, etc."

I've had three other shows, and I treated them like regular shows except more prizes and less demo. Calling guests is the best way to have high attendance and high sales. Ask anyone who says "no" if they'd like to see a catalog or go to your website. There is still plenty of time to schedule another show. Only send the invites to the amount of people you're willing to call. You can always call more people.

This is a HUGE statement! When I've had an "open house", it has been a flop. When I have done something special, I have a great turnout.

I do alot of the same things JAE is doing for her show, and some of the things I've called mine are:

Fall Extravaganza
Host Appreciation Evening
Power Cooking Clinic
Fun In The Sun Spring Splash

I do a ton of give-aways, and incentives for attending. Everyone always gets a SB for coming, and I save products that I've earned from my own shows, or during incentives, and give those away somehow.

I always have a great turnout when I do it this way, as opposed to an Open House. I think if the time is open, and they can just come at any time, it's not that important, and they end up never making it there. If you have a start time - they can plan on that, and other things don't push it back as quickly.

ChefBeckyD said:
This is a HUGE statement! When I've had an "open house", it has been a flop. When I have done something special, I have a great turnout.

I do alot of the same things JAE is doing for her show, and some of the things I've called mine are:

Fall Extravaganza
Host Appreciation Evening
Power Cooking Clinic
Fun In The Sun Spring Splash

I do a ton of give-aways, and incentives for attending. Everyone always gets a SB for coming, and I save products that I've earned from my own shows, or during incentives, and give those away somehow.

I always have a great turnout when I do it this way, as opposed to an Open House. I think if the time is open, and they can just come at any time, it's not that important, and they end up never making it there. If you have a start time - they can plan on that, and other things don't push it back as quickly.

I agree with Becky and JAE. I do one once a year as a customer appreciation/mystery host party. I also give a sneak peek at the new fall products. I have always had 10+ people come and it's never been under $500.

I do a recipe sampling, give away tons of stuff (in addition to the host benefits), and we have fun.

I'm sorry yours didn't work out.

Mine is tomorrow. We'll see if it's a flop or not. I live in a brand new development and went door to door introducing myself as a neighbor and that I was having a party. My flyer did say Open House, though, and so now I'm wishing I had just not said that for fear of what you all have shared. I guess I was hoping the pressure would be off it was not a formal demo. I told them Come and check out the new fall products, come taste test the new recipes and vote for your favorite, etc. I'm offereing everyone who comes a SB and also will do a prize drawing just for them. Then I'm doing another prize drawing where people earn entries by coming, bringing a friend, placing and order, booking a show, referring a friend (they place an order, sign up for my newsletter, or book a show). I did a follow-up e-mail to people who hadn't RSVP'd (my close contacts I called) and reminded them of it and also told them that I was doing the prize drawings after the party, that night, and they have till 9pm to get orders in or call me to book a show. (I plan on notifying the winners on Monday) I worded it much better than this. ;) I figured I know most people won't come, I would at least try to entice people to place orders or possibly book. So we'll see what happens.

I did a Fall Kick Off/Mystery Host show in Spetember and had over $1800 in sales. The mystery host is what brought them in and brought the online orders in. I invited over 200 and 20 showed, but I had many online orders. I agree that having a theme and incentives to come are key. I gave tickets for coming, tickets for spending a certian amount etc.... ( ideas courtesy of pampereddor). People wanted that free product, 1/2 price item, 60% off cookware. I drew a name every 30 minutes and gave away prizes too.
I'm sorry you did not have good luck, but learn from it and you'll get em next time :)

CABean03 said:

Thanks,
Mindy

Oh Mindy I feel for you.

My first and only open house was the same way - not one person showed up! It brings it all back listening to your story.

My family felt so bad for me. I had everything set up and ready, food, products, printed up cookbooks, etc.

It has scared me from ever trying again!

I'm usually just a reader on this website, so this will be my first post. But I felt the need to say "I feel your pain". I hosted an open house today at a business and only one person showed, besides my mother, bless her heart! I sent out 100 invites to all my customers as well as advertisements at the business itself. I worked really hard for it and I'm totally depressed now. The one person that showed is a potential recruit though. Maybe something good will come out of all my hard work. At least my family has plenty of goodies to eat for the next week!

Now I'm worried! I've never done an open house or anything of the sort. I am planning a Mystery Host/Host Appreciation/Holiday show on November 8. I just booked the clubhouse at my MIL's condo before I got online. Now I'm wondering if I should! I've spoken with a handful of people before I set the date and they were all excited... but now I wonder if they were just being nice? Maybe if I convince myself that the phone is not the enemy between now and then, it will work out?

HockeyLover said:
Now I'm worried! I've never done an open house or anything of the sort. I am planning a Mystery Host/Host Appreciation/Holiday show on November 8. I just booked the clubhouse at my MIL's condo before I got online. Now I'm wondering if I should! I've spoken with a handful of people before I set the date and they were all excited... but now I wonder if they were just being nice? Maybe if I convince myself that the phone is not the enemy between now and then, it will work out?

Maybe you'll have better luck having it at a "neutral" place. For my Open House- it was a total dud in my neighborhood. Many didn't know me and probably partly because of that, they aren't going to show up at my house.
Just my theory though....I wish I had hard data to back that up for you.

For all of you that sent out lots of email invites, you might want to call a few of them and see if the emails went through. I've been told that some email servers automaticly kick out emails if more than a certain number of recipients are listed. Also, some large companies will kick out emails that have a website link in it. I've been advised to only send to about 10 at a time.
As for worrying about numbers of guests, my best show only had 4 show up. I've had 20 guests and the show only be about $400.
It's sad, but the only time that I can have a show at home is when my wife is out of town on business. She's not a PC person.

As long as you followup after you sent out the invitation - everything should work out. You went to TOO MUCH work organizing the Open House NOT TO follow up!

It would definately help to run your Open House WITH something else, like:
-Mystery Host
-extra incentives/draws
-new product launch

Instead of JUST doing an Open House - you could advertise that you are doing a HOLIDAY Open House, CUSTOMER APPRECIATION, Power Cooking Clinic, etc.

Wow. I had thought of doing an open house to spark some business, but after hearing the bad experiences, I am thinking twice. If I do decide to do it, I won't call it an open house, I did learn that much from this thread; thanks for that suggestion.

Yipes and yes. I did abotu 6 the first couple years I was in business but every dang one of them flopped so I gave up the ghost. I have not done one since 2003. No way no how will I ever put myself through that again.

I, again, suggest that you don't call it an open house. Have a definite start time and offer prizes for RSVP, arriving on time, bringing friends, etc.

Also, don't invite more people than you are willing to call because you will probably have to call everyone on your mailing list. Postcards and e-mails are great reminders.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm not giving up on hosting my own show again, but I will definitely do some things differently. :)

Hathery said:
I just had my open house; I made it a Mystery Host open house to give some incentive for people to come. I had around 10 guests, and I believe I'm going to end up with around $500 in sales.

What exactly is a Mystery Host open house? I just ordered my New Consultant Kit and I am planning to kick off my PC career with an open house as I just moved to Texas a few months ago and don't have any contacts here! I am open for ANY suggestions from people for how to make contacts when you move to a new place!

I've only done one. I did it three days BEFORE the new catalog came out, so they were the first ones to see & touch the new products. I made it fun. Tickets for RSVP by a certain date, tickets for coming, tickets for bringing a friend, so many tickets for every $20 spent, so many tickets for booking a show. I gave out several door prizes. It went over well. $600 catalog show. I was really hoping for bookings for a new recruit who helped out, but no luck. We closed it the first day of the new season.

CABean03 said:

Thanks,
Mindy

Might you be interested in having it again in 2 weeks? Call everyone that didn't come and say "Sorry you couldn't make the last one, I'm sure you'll want to come on XXX"

gailz2 said:
Might you be interested in having it again in 2 weeks? Call everyone that didn't come and say "Sorry you couldn't make the last one, I'm sure you'll want to come on XXX"

The original post is from 2008, and I don't think the poster is active on the boards anymore. I remember someone saying if the name is black, their subscription has expired.

1. Why didn't anyone show up to my Fall Open House event?

Unfortunately, there could be a variety of reasons why nobody showed up to your event. It could be due to conflicts in schedules, lack of interest, or even just forgetting about the event. It's important not to take it personally and to focus on learning from the experience for future events.

2. How many invites did you send out and to whom?

In this specific scenario, the person sent out 89 invites to past customers and guests. It's always a good idea to send out a decent number of invites to increase the chances of people attending, but remember that not everyone will be able to make it.

3. Did you do any promotion or marketing for the event?

It's important to promote and market your event in order to attract attendees. Utilize social media, email, and word of mouth to spread the word about your event. You can also offer incentives or discounts to entice people to attend.

4. How can I prevent this from happening at my next event?

First and foremost, don't let this discourage you from hosting future events. Every event is a learning experience. Some ways to potentially increase attendance at your next event could be choosing a different date and time, diversifying your guest list, and actively promoting the event beforehand.

5. Is it common for events to have low attendance?

It's not uncommon for events to have lower attendance than expected. There are many factors that can contribute to this, such as timing, location, and the target audience. It's important to not get discouraged and to continue to put effort into promoting and hosting events in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• CAPCnewbie
  • Flyers and Letters
Replies
Views
CAPCnewbie
  • pampchef.angel
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • cheftiffany