• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did You Watch This on Sunday? Awesome!:)

In summary, the show was good but it was made into a competition which takes away the true spirit of the gift.
lacychef
Forgive me if I've missed a thread started already, but did you guys watch this on Sunday? I think it's just awesome!:)

I caught only a few minutes of it, but the part I saw, I didn't totally understand. Are there two teams that are competing against each other to give away $$?

I agree, I caught the last 5 mins. And the judges were saying you only raised $43,000 you could have done better. I was like WHHHAAT?????

Anything thing that is donated or raised is just that. How could they be asking for more? I dont get how they can compete to do that. Then get criticized because it isnt enough.

I am on a conference call on Sunday nights so I will have to tape it to see the entire thing.

I'll have to watch the whole thing, but that really bothers me that they are pitting people against each other to give away money. Since it is a competition, then the true spirit of what the gift should be is going to easily get lost with the givers. While I'm very glad that some very deserving people are going to receive the help they need, what a sad statement of our society that we can't even help people in need without it being a competition.

I really really touched by the stories of the people they helped!! The one that touched me the most was the Mother of 3 yr old twins that had lost her husband 6 weeks earlier!!

I am looking forward to seeing what happens in episodes to come!

It was really good! I can't wait for Sunday!! Get out the tissues!

katie0128 said:
I'll have to watch the whole thing, but that really bothers me that they are pitting people against each other to give away money. Since it is a competition, then the true spirit of what the gift should be is going to easily get lost with the givers. While I'm very glad that some very deserving people are going to receive the help they need, what a sad statement of our society that we can't even help people in need without it being a competition.

Also what bothers me, is why they have to do it on National TV...If you want to do something REALLY nice, then just do it! If you need pats on the back & all kinds of praises, then dont do it! IMHO.....

I agree Ginger, since when does giving generously have to be forced? Especially with the "its not good enough" attitude.

I may be off base but I looked at it as a way to encourage the average person to do something for someone else in need. Showing the feeling these people get from helping others is contagious and they want to continue because it felt so good to help someone else. I think our society is so focused on "me" that we forget to look at others and see how we can help them - no matter how big or how small and if a national TV show can encourage people to look around them and help someone else that is a good thing. I only caught bits and pieces but that is what I took away from it.

hperschnick said:
I may be off base but I looked at it as a way to encourage the average person to do something for someone else in need. Showing the feeling these people get from helping others is contagious and they want to continue because it felt so good to help someone else. I think our society is so focused on "me" that we forget to look at others and see how we can help them - no matter how big or how small and if a national TV show can encourage people to look around them and help someone else that is a good thing. I only caught bits and pieces but that is what I took away from it.

I completely agree with this... my issue with the show is that the giving is made into a competition... to see who can outgive the next person. I'm worried that this will create the feeling in some people that, "I can't give and help like they are, with lots of money, so my little bit won't make a difference." It is just like the RUFTH that we all talk about (or should talk about) at our shows. I ask people to think about how much a quarter represents to them personally... not much. However, if everyone at the show gave a quarter, then we might have $3 or so. But if everyone that worked in downtown Cincinnati gave a quarter... even just once a month, think about how much money that would generate for the local food bank. It's the idea that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. THAT is the message I want people to hear, not that they have to outgive someone else for their gift to be worthy.

And now I'm seeing commercials that Oprah is giving the "winner" some outrageous amount of money ($1M?). I think the contestants didn't know about this at the time of the filming, but I think giving away $ to the "winner" is completely counter-productive to the message of the show... that you are going to get something (or deserve something) if you give.

I think you guys are being way to harsh. It sounds like most of you haven't even seen the show yet. What's wrong with a little competition? The schools do it all the time - which class room can bring in the most....pennies, soup labels, box tops, fundraiser $$, etc. Don't we get recognized for the round up donations and trivets sold? People everywhere give $$, time, and all kinds of other things without reward or competition. This just adds some extra motivation.

Let’s not take a positive thing (and not many things on TV are) and make it into a negative.

This all started when she gave one of her studio audiences $100 and a video camera and basically said "use this money to help someone else." It was amazing what people did with just that small amount of $$. Some people just handed out $20's to others at a store and other brought back 1000's of $$ and donations. It inspired so many people to "pay it forward." I think that is the whole point of the show. Do something nice and watch the ripples. You may or may not see any other rewards for your efforts.

Don't forget our "sharing of the opportunity". Yes, it's great to help others, but we also get rewarded for our effort.

It's not positive competition that bothers me, it is when the "judges" flat out say... "What you did was good, it just wasn't good enough... you could have done better."

When schools do competitions for fundraisers and when we are recognized for our RUFTH work, we are honored for what is done. No one is point-blank told that "what you did isn't good enough... you could have/should have done more". THAT is the part that bothers me.

What I couldn't get past and had to explain to my 13 DD was the woman getting the Ford Tempo. As if any of us could go into a car dealership, tell a tale of someone's hardship and walk out with a brand new car for them. Maybe being on national tv and having to do with Oprah had a little to do with it?

Anyway, I DO love the concept and I'm so thrilled for the recipients that I'll be waiting and watching again next week! I had to get out the tissues when the mother and her twins (whose husband/dad had just been killed weeks previous) arrived back at her house and the whole neighbourhood had gathered. I kept saying to my DD - I hate this show! LOL I NEVER cry watching tv :)

katie0128 said:
I caught only a few minutes of it, but the part I saw, I didn't totally understand. Are there two teams that are competing against each other to give away $$?

There were 10 people, and split into 5 teams of 2 each.

I see what you're saying Katie; I think the judges just say it that way because that's the name of the game, and the biggest giver wins.
I think the purpose of the show is for us all to see how great it is to help people out, and seeing these reactions will encourage everyone to help our neighbors. Like someone said, the 'pay it forward' thinking.....I guess it's just Oprah's take on reality tv. I'd much rather watch this than someone eat nasty stuff for money, or girls throw themselves all over a man to "win" him.
Jodi, I also loved the part when the mom & the twins wrote the notes to their dad & tied to balloons...tears!

lacychef said:
I see what you're saying Katie; I think the judges just say it that way because that's the name of the game, and the biggest giver wins.
I think the purpose of the show is for us all to see how great it is to help people out, and seeing these reactions will encourage everyone to help our neighbors. Like someone said, the 'pay it forward' thinking.....I guess it's just Oprah's take on reality tv. I'd much rather watch this than someone eat nasty stuff for money, or girls throw themselves all over a man to "win" him.Jodi, I also loved the part when the mom & the twins wrote the notes to their dad & tied to balloons...tears!

I COMPLETELY agree with you there!

What is "Did You Watch This on Sunday? Awesome!"?

"Did You Watch This on Sunday? Awesome!" is a popular cooking show that airs on Sundays on various channels.

Who hosts "Did You Watch This on Sunday? Awesome!"?

The show is hosted by top chefs from Pampered Chef, including our very own executive chef, Chef Jen.

What can I expect to see on "Did You Watch This on Sunday? Awesome!"?

The show features delicious and easy-to-follow recipes using Pampered Chef products, as well as tips, techniques, and kitchen hacks to make cooking even more enjoyable.

When does "Did You Watch This on Sunday? Awesome!" air?

The show airs every Sunday at 10am EST on Food Network, and is also available for streaming on our website and social media channels.

Can I purchase the products used on "Did You Watch This on Sunday? Awesome!"?

Absolutely! All the products featured on the show are available for purchase on our website or through your Pampered Chef consultant. Plus, viewers can often take advantage of exclusive discounts and deals offered during the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Gina M
  • General Chat
2 3 4