• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Venison Recipes: Perfect for Christmas Meat!

In summary, Theresa is looking for recipes for venison, and people have suggestions for using the ground venison. People also suggest making burgers, meatloaf, or sloppy joes with it.
chefmelody
Hey all! I was wondering if anyone could share some good venison recipes. DH's grandpa gave us a bunch of deer meat for Christmas, and I don't have anything specifically for it. I have made venison chili, twice, but I want to try something different. At the moment, I still have three 1.5lb packages of ground venison, and a small roast.

I've heard that venison is less fatty than beef, so I'm wary of putting the roast in the slow cooker as I usually would. I'll probably try it in the deep covered baker, but I don't know what internal temperature it should reach. Also don't know if it's safe too cook medium, or if it must be well-done.

Mainly, I want to know what spices compliment venison. I can play around with a few, but I don't want to ruin it. I know the chili is VERY tasty, but I want to try something new.

I used to get a lot of venison from my brother who is a hunter. I like to make beef stew (okay - deer stew) with it. Just chunk up the roast into the size pieces that you want and marinate them for @ 24 hours in Italian Salad Dressing (helps to take away the gamey taste). Then drain off the dressing, brown the meat and make your beaf stew as you usually would. I add potatoes, carrots, green beans, onions, canned tomaotes and a little beef broth along with garlic, salt & pepper to mine.

I don't have a lot of advice for you, because my mom used to always make it for us! I know that a lot of people think that spices ruin the natural flavor... so they go with more of a saute'd in melted butter with some salt sprinkled on afterwards.The roast could probably be cut up and make a venison stew...mmmmm! and that can be thrown in a crockpot.I don't know an internal temp off hand, but we always liked it med-rare!HTH

soaking it in milk it will help take away the "gamey" flavor
Slice the roast saute it in a little red wine, butter and fresh mushroooms (make gravy with the dripping and serve the mushrooms and gravy on popovers).
Teresa
I grew up with venison summer sausage i can search for the recipe if you want to amke soem of it up.

Thanks everyone! Now I wish I had more than one roast to try all these ideas. :D Theresa, I would like that summer sausage recipe if you can find it. Does anyone have ideas for the ground venison? I thought of making meatloaf or burgers, but it seems more "crumbly" than ground beef. Would I need to add an extra egg to the mix?

For ground venison I usually just used it in Chili or Spaghetti sauce. I don't care to much for the gamey taste so I try to use it in something that will cover it up.

I make venison stew out of the roasts, cut up of course... I put in all the veggies, red wine and garlic and beef boullion or stock.. if i have it on high for 6 hours it is great.. i have also done it in the oven (350) for about 3 hours.
My hubby's favorite is the dreaded ground venison made into burgers.. not your normal deer meat usage I think because of the lack of fat~ it is soo lean that it makes excellent chili, shepard's pie and sloppy joes (we are not fans of them) or hamburger helper ( no thank you) ... ANYWAYS.. mix mayo w/ the meat and your worstchestershire (?) sauce, etc.... the mayo is usually with good burgers anyways but mixing it in adds enough fat to make them juicy and sooo good! And don't overcook them~ med. rare is best..
I am looking at a freezer full of venison too, hope someone else has some great ideas!! :)

Mayo in the burgers? I'd never heard of that. Will it work with Miracle Whip, or does it have to be the real thing? (Maybe the egg yolk in real mayo helps hold it together too?) I absolutely hate mayo ON burgers, but I like it on sandwiches (yes, I'm weird.) Does it add the flavor to the meat?

I've never used it in meatloaf... I am thinking it would be over cooked by the time the center was med. rare.. not sure..
We had a bunch of venison made into Italian Sausages by a local guy... wow! they are soo good! I use the crock pot (of course) w/ sauce and red wine (hmmm... that keeps coming up) and garlic.. lots of garlic..

I just thought of another vension roast (maybe next year for you!) put a roast in the cp and add 2 cans or bottles of beer and 1 jar of pepperoncini... Guys love this.. I always have to add stuff like.... garlic :) and salt and pepper ..

What goes w/ vension:
Red Wine
Beer
Soaking in milk
Onions
Garlic
Hot Peppers
Red Sauce
Mushrooms

I only use the full fat version of mayo.. I think the egg in it would help to bind also... but the fat mixes really well and is a really subtle flavor-if any at all.. I am forbidden to bring the tangy zip into our house (haha) so we just stick to the store brand of mayo..

Ok, I think I could buy a little jar of regular mayo just for this. (We usually use low-fat, if any.) How much do you add to the meat? The packages I have are about 1.5 lbs each, I think.

These will be really good in the grill pan w/press! I could add some garlic to the burgers too. Mmm, now I'm getting hungry... is work over yet? :D

I've never heard of it either, I just made it up one day and they were fabulous! Hubby still raves to whoever will listen.
Unfortunately my best cooking is what I throw together~ and can never be redone quite the same way again.. ah well.

The proportions would probably be a 1/2 cup to a pound and a half of venison. Start there. I don't think it would be more than that.. Def. buy the small jar if you don't use it much..

Last edited:
Momma23boys said:
I've never heard of it either, I just made it up one day and they were fabulous! Hubby still raves to whoever will listen.
Unfortunately my best cooking is what I throw together~ and can never be redone quite the same way again.. ah well.

The proportions would probably be a 1/2 cup???? to a pound of venison???
I've never measured.. I just tend to add and mix.

Haha! Sounds like my cooking. I rarely ever follow a recipe, except at my shows! :D

Thanks for the tip... I probably only would have added a couple tablespoons. Wouldn't have been enough, then.

Summer Sausage
2 pounds ground chuck OR sirloin OR venison
1 cup water
2 TBSP Morton's Tender Quick (this is a meat cure )
1 tsp peppercorns (I use the red peppercorn blend) Do not grind!!
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 TBSP liquid smoke
Mix all ingredients by hand. Roll into 3 logs. wrap each log with Saran Wrap. Refrigerate 24 hours.
remove saran wrap
In a pan ith a rack bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.
Turn one time (flip top to bottom) bake a remaining 45 minutes.
Cool
Wrap in foil & refrigerate.
This will have a pinkish tinge I guess due to the meat cure.
I grew up where we butchered cattle or made it with deer meat. We would make tons of it my mom had a seal a meal (much like todays foodsaver & we would freeze it)
It's great on a cracker with spray cheese or on white bread with mustard.
Teresa.

Thanks Theresa! About how long should the logs be? I'd be afraid of making them too thick and short or too long and thin. Either way, the cooking time would be off.

don't remember exactly it's been at LEAST 25 - 30 years since we did it
Probably about 10 inches and about 2" in diameter. I don't remember that being specific when we were making.
Try it you'll like it!!

1. What are some popular venison dishes for Christmas?

Some popular venison dishes for Christmas include venison roast, venison stew, venison Wellington, venison chili, and venison meatballs.

2. How can I ensure that my venison is tender and juicy?

The key to tender and juicy venison is to properly marinate the meat before cooking. You can also use cooking methods such as slow cooking or braising to help tenderize the meat.

3. Can I substitute venison for other types of meat in my favorite recipes?

Yes, venison can often be substituted for beef or other types of meat in recipes. However, keep in mind that venison has a leaner and richer flavor, so adjustments may need to be made to seasoning and cooking times.

4. Are there any specific cuts of venison that are best for certain recipes?

Yes, for recipes that require longer cooking times, such as stews or roasts, cuts from the shoulder or hindquarters are best. For quicker cooking methods, such as grilling or pan-searing, cuts from the loin or tenderloin are recommended.

5. Can I use frozen venison for these recipes?

Yes, you can use frozen venison for these recipes. Just make sure to thaw the meat completely before cooking and adjust cooking times accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
gailz2
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
StacieB
  • rennea
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies