• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes - Perfect for Any Occasion!

In summary: -Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, and Jiffy cake mixes are not available in Canada, but Dr. Oetker does carry a 510 g box of golden or white cake mix.-You only need half of a regular cake mix.-You can bake them individually or put them in a silicone floral cupcake pan.-Get lots of sugar tapped on the butter in the bowls.
kkimpinski
Have any fellow Canadians been able to find the 250 g pkg of yellow or white cake mix to make the mini glazed lemon cakes? My local grocery store does not carry this size but I thought that maybe I could find it at Wal-mart or Superstore.

I am not Canadian...but I didn't think that I could find them either...they were with the little boxes of Corn Bread...I am trying to think of the brand.

You can always find a larger box and use less. If you have a kitchen scales it will help get the proper weight but you can always estimate.

chefheidi2003 said:
I am not Canadian...but I didn't think that I could find them either...they were with the little boxes of Corn Bread...I am trying to think of the brand.

Jiffy is the brand that I was thinking of...I don't know if you have that up there or not??

It's strange where the Jiffy cake mixes are at some stores. At my store they are in the baking aisle but not right with the other cake mixes. They are above the bread mixes and with the other Jiffy muffin and pizza mixes. If they only knew what kind of pain it is to locate those boxes.....

half?Didn't someone (on a different thread) say to just use 1/2 of the regular mix???

Last edited:
You can use just half of a regular cake mix (Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker or whatever).

Or you can double the recipe and bake them instead in the silicone floral cupcake pan (and omit the lemon on the bottom), or just use 12 prep bowls. I had these at my cluster meeting this week and they were yummy!

Make sure to get a really small lemon if you're putting the slices on the bottom.

Just found this. http://www.oetker.ca/en/product/baking-mixes/added-touch/pouch
Looks like Dr. Oetker carries the 250 g pkg of golden or white cake mix in Canada.

You only need half of a regular cake mix?

Oops, I missed that part of the recipe. I guess that's why they overflowed in the microwave. I should have also realized it when the batter was really thick! They still tasted delish!

Linda

Yup, recipe says 9oz box.
But hey from everyones comments many people have used a whole box!!!

Did anyone else have trouble getting them out of the prep bowl? I buttered my bowls and still had a terrible time trying to get them out. Glad I wasn't at a show!!

I had one or 2 stick but i tapped them a bit and then they popped out.

I couldn't find the Jiffy mixes either. I did find a B. Crocker brand that is 510 g and I just used half of it. It did the trick.

Make sure you get lots of sugar tapped on the butter in the bowls. Unmold them straight out of the microwave. If you let them cool, they will stick.

If you haven't tried this recipe, you need to. I'm not a lemon kinda gal, but I find them hard to resist!

I posted a thread about the lemon cakes and someone here told me to go to walmart and get the Jiffy cake mix, I could only find corn muffin mix . But a 1/2 box of regular cake mix works well and you really have to butter the sides and after you take them out set the bowls on a flat platter and let them slide out!

I just made the cakes and wasn't such a fan! i love lemon, but these didn't quite cut it for me!

I tasted them at our meeting last night (done in the prep bowls in the micro) and I enjoyed the one I made in the fluted pan (doubled the recipe...as in, used a full size cake mix) in the oven more. Don't get me wrong...they were still good, I am just such a cake snob that I just don't care for the microwaved cakes. They do look super cute as individual cakes, though!

You should be able to bake them individually, too. I loved them in the micro. Small lemon would better. I let mine cool for the time the recipe said. They were still too hot to handle. The last one I tapped out was the easiest to deal with and I had no trouble getting it out of the bowl. I think I'll let them cool for a little longer, long enough that I can hold the bowl w/o burning my hand. Would like to make them at my own show on Tuesday, but I think I'll have more than 6 people, thankfully. I may have a friend bring hers so I can make more. I think they look very cool on the appetizer plates.

The spring video said that you can bake them in the prep bowls in the oven. Use one of the metal sheet pans to hold them. I don't remember the time and temp, though.

Yes, I remember hearing/reading that too.

If you have more than 6 people, you can easily cut the cakes in half and then plate them. They are pretty this way as well.

I don't have a scoring tool, so I just zested a bit of lemon peel over the plate after I plated them. Beautiful!

CrazyChef said:
You can use just half of a regular cake mix (Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker or whatever).

Or you can double the recipe and bake them instead in the silicone floral cupcake pan (and omit the lemon on the bottom), or just use 12 prep bowls. I had these at my cluster meeting this week and they were yummy!

Make sure to get a really small lemon if you're putting the slices on the bottom.

Has anyone actually tried to bake these in the silicone floral cupcake pan? I was wondering about the time and temperature to do this?:chef:

Also, I have a show next week, but have never made them yet. I only have one set of prep bowls, and she has almost 40 invitations going out. :eek: Should I make a batch at home and take them to the show, so we have enough? Or is half of one of these enough for show? It doesn't seem like alot to me. :confused:

Would you serve this with ice cream or anything? Lemon sherbet, perhaps? Are they supposed to be served warm?:rolleyes:

HELP!! lol

Thanks,
Paula

Paula R. Lewis said:
Has anyone actually tried to bake these in the silicone floral cupcake pan? I was wondering about the time and temperature to do this?

The directions for the floral cupcake pan came in the CO box.

To prepare cakes in the Silicone Floral Cupcake Pan, spray the wells for the pan with nonstick cooking spray (instead of using butter, sugar and lemon slices) and bake them in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes.

Paula R. Lewis said:
Also, I have a show next week, but have never made them yet. I only have one set of prep bowls, and she has almost 40 invitations going out. :eek: Should I make a batch at home and take them to the show, so we have enough? Or is half of one of these enough for show? It doesn't seem like alot to me. :confused:

Would you serve this with ice cream or anything? Lemon sherbet, perhaps? Are they supposed to be served warm?:rolleyes:

HELP!! lol

Thanks,
Paula

I would wait until you have a final head count to determine whether to make any ahead of time. The recipe only makes six but I've seen where others have suggested cutting them in half for twelve servings.

I don't think they need anything extra to go with them. I don't care much for lemon, but these are yummy. Serve them room temp.

I hope this helps you some. :)

But this isn't "just a cake mix", so to speak. It has additional ingredients, such as sour cream added. Would it still bake the same, you think? Also, would you butter the silicone pan, or just spray it? Add sugar to it?

Thanks
Paula

erinb said:
I would wait until you have a final head count to determine whether to make any ahead of time. The recipe only makes six but I've seen where others have suggested cutting them in half for twelve servings.

I don't think they need anything extra to go with them. I don't care much for lemon, but these are yummy. Serve them room temp.

I hope this helps you some. :)

Thanks, Erin! I AM a lemon person, so they sound fantastic to me!!:love:

But, this is a completely new group of ladies for me, so I don't want them to be disappointed, kwim? :angel:

I may have to break down and make them at home. I just figured that it's meant to be one per person, so a double batch, with a few cut in half would probably work well for anyone who didn't want a whole one....

Paula

Paula R. Lewis said:
But this isn't "just a cake mix", so to speak. It has additional ingredients, such as sour cream added. Would it still bake the same, you think? Also, would you butter the silicone pan, or just spray it? Add sugar to it?

Thanks
Paula

This is the exact directions that came in the changeover kit.

To prepare cakes in the Silicone Floral Cupcake Pan, spray the wells for the pan with nonstick cooking spray (instead of using butter, sugar and lemon slices) and bake them in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes.

You only use the small box of cake mix (Jiffy Cake Mix) and you add sour cream and not the other wet ingredients.

KellyTheChef said:
I tasted them at our meeting last night (done in the prep bowls in the micro) and I enjoyed the one I made in the fluted pan (doubled the recipe...as in, used a full size cake mix) in the oven more.
So I'm wondering 'cuz I totally LOVE the microwave cakes (especially the Triple Chocolate Fudge one that I talk about all the time) if I could double the recipe and do it in the fluted pan in the microwave????? Anyone tried this?

Paula R. Lewis said:
Thanks, Erin! I AM a lemon person, so they sound fantastic to me!!:love:

But, this is a completely new group of ladies for me, so I don't want them to be disappointed, kwim? :angel:

I may have to break down and make them at home. I just figured that it's meant to be one per person, so a double batch, with a few cut in half would probably work well for anyone who didn't want a whole one....

Paula

I don't think you need to worry about them being disappointed. These things are awesome.

erinb said:
This is the exact directions that came in the changeover kit.

You only use the small box of cake mix (Jiffy Cake Mix) and you add sour cream and not the other wet ingredients.

:eek: Thanks so much! I guess I really need to refer to the Changeover kit a bit more, huh? lol I was just reading the Season's Best!!

With my husband not working right now, I didn't want to waste ingredients on something that isn't "tried and true", so to speak, which is why I asked. I think I'll use a full-size cake mix, and maybe do a compromise here...half in prep bowls, half in the silicone pan!!:thumbup: What a great way to show off more products, hmmm?? lol :love:

We have a cluster meeting tomorrow night. I think I'll call my Consultant friend who's supposed to be bringing a dessert, and see if she's making these, and maybe see if she'll do it this way, to see how they come out!!

Thanks so much! :)
I appreciate your thoughts!!

Paula

laylaleigh said:
Did anyone else have trouble getting them out of the prep bowl? I buttered my bowls and still had a terrible time trying to get them out. Glad I wasn't at a show!!
I watched the spring/summer dvd and they said to tap the sides. I tapped the sides and inverted them. They came right out.

chefallison53 said:
I just made the cakes and wasn't such a fan! i love lemon, but these didn't quite cut it for me!
There was way too much lemon for me. I found myself puckering more than I would like. I wonder if an orange version would work?

lissahope26 said:
There was way too much lemon for me. I found myself puckering more than I would like. I wonder if an orange version would work?

I do love lemon, but I think orange would be great, too! Or maybe strawberry or raspberry?? (without fruit slices on the bottom) YUM!!:love:

Paula:chef:

Paula R. Lewis said:
I do love lemon, but I think orange would be great, too! Or maybe strawberry or raspberry?? (without fruit slices on the bottom) YUM!!:love:

Why leave out the fruit slices? Sliced strawberries, or a few berries on the bottom....Hmmmm... That does sound divine. I REALLY need to get a full set of prep bowls.

ZK

ZippyKitty said:
Why leave out the fruit slices? Sliced strawberries, or a few berries on the bottom....Hmmmm... That does sound divine. I REALLY need to get a full set of prep bowls.

ZK

I hear ya! But, with all these ideas, I'm starting to think I need TWO sets!:balloon: lol

1. What is the recipe for the Delicious Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes?

The recipe for the Delicious Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes is as follows:

• 1 package (250 g) yellow or white cake mix
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
  • 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest

2. Can the Delicious Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes be made with a different type of cake mix?

Yes, the recipe can be made with any type of yellow or white cake mix, as long as it is 250 g in size.

3. How many mini cakes does the recipe make?

The recipe makes approximately 24 mini cakes.

4. Can the mini glazed lemon cakes be made ahead of time and stored?

Yes, the cakes can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

5. Have any fellow Canadians been able to find the 250 g pkg of yellow or white cake mix to make the mini glazed lemon cakes?

Many Canadians have been able to find the 250 g package of cake mix at Wal-mart or Superstore. If your local grocery store does not carry this size, it may be helpful to check with other larger retailers in your area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Shari
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Chef Shari
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • CyndiWilliams
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies