• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help With Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes

Try the thicker setting and see if that works.I've had the same problem with the mandoline. I switched to the thicker blade and it worked well.
tlmcunning
I made the Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes the other night for a MOMs group cooking club and when I was slicing the lemon on the Ultimate Mandoline with the thin blade it just tore the lemon it did not slice it. I ended up doing it by hand with a knife.

Can someone tell me how to use the lemon on the Ultimate Mandoline. I use my Mandoline all the time and have never had any trouble with it until now. I have a show tonight where we will be making these lemon cakes, so I want to try and figure out how to do it right before hand.

Thanks

Tracy:chef:

I think if you use the V-shaped blade it will cut much better - I always do, no matter what the instructions say. Also, make sure the citrus you are slicing is firm, and not mushy feeling.

Your lemon needs to be really firm or it will come apart in the UM.

I know that the V blade will do a good job at slicing them, but for this recipe I think the thin blade is needed. Once they are sliced so thin, you can eat the entire lemon slice along with the cake. I had one of the cakes that the person used the V blade to slice them, and it was too bitter to eat...I think cuz the lemon rind was just too thick.

I know that normally you don't have to push down much on the food plunger, but maybe add a bit of extra pressure?

I do remember that out of the whole lemon, there were many of the slices that were not "whole" slices...I just picked through and used the ones that were complete slices.

You actually eat them, I thought they were just for decoration and flavor! I did the jerk chicken nachos for two shows and both of them the guests had problems with the limes. I was able to make it work but I do think it was because they were a little mushy.

Okay - I just have to say that I would never think of eating the lemon slice with the cake.....I thought it was for decoration/flavor. I would peel it off and leave it - no matter how thinly it was sliced.:yuck:

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - I just have to say that I would never think of eating the lemon slice with the cake.....I thought it was for decoration/flavor. I would peel it off and leave it - no matter how thinly it was sliced.:yuck:

I agree! I like lemons but wouldn't eat them with the cake. Just to mention, we put the extras in the fridge for a couple days and ate them. The top that was sitting just below the lemon was so tart :yuck: I would recommend taking the lemon off if you save them!

Thank you ladies for all the advice. I ended up using the v-shaped blade. I went to the store and searched for very firm lemons. I bought several and they still just shredded on the thin blade.

The cakes were a big hit at my show last night.

Tracy

If I do this again I am going to skip the sliced lemon alltogether and use more zest and juice. The lemons shredded in my mandoline and I wasted so many of them just trying to get 12 slices.

I agree, I have been having a hard time with my mandoline, it shreds my lemons and limes. The other day I used it to slice radishes for the chicken grapefruit salad and it didn't work very well. I am to the poing that I don't like to use.

Try chilling the lemons to firm them up a little. But not to the point of freezing. The firmer the fruit/veggie the better the mandoline works

I've never had an issue with the mandoline, I love mine! Try using less pressure when you pull down to slice, it should feed itself.

I use the v-shape blade, so I definetley second this idea! Because it cuts from both sides at once, it glides through the lemon with little effort!
I had the same problem with the other blade, and I just switched blades and the problem was eliminated!;)

I know this is an older post, but I found it as I was searching for lemon cake tips. I had the same problem as I was practicing tonight- the mandoline was just shredding my lemons. I tried it on the thicker setting of the straight blade (instead of the thin it calls for)- and presto! Pretty lemon slices.

1. What ingredients do I need to make Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes?

To make Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes, you will need:

• 1 box of lemon cake mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup of melted butter
  • 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
  • Non-stick cooking spray

2. Can I use a different type of cake mix for Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes?

Yes, you can use a different type of cake mix, such as vanilla or white cake mix, but the lemon flavor will not be as strong. You can add additional lemon juice and zest to enhance the lemon flavor.

3. How many Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes does this recipe make?

This recipe makes about 24 mini cakes, depending on the size of your mini cake pan.

4. How do I make the glaze for Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes?

To make the glaze, mix together 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest in a small bowl. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled mini cakes.

5. Can I make Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes in advance?

Yes, you can make these cakes in advance and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. The glaze may become slightly sticky, but the cakes will still be delicious. You can also freeze the cakes for up to 3 months and thaw them before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• noelskitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • CyndiWilliams
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies