• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Suicide: Coping with the Tragic Loss of a Loved One

In summary, Rennea's cousin hanged himself and the rest of the family is in shock. They have never experienced a suicide before and are angry and numb all at the same time. They are praying for strength and comfort.
rennea
Gold Member
Just received news that my cousin hung himself late last night. What a terrible shock. His poor mother my cousin has been through so much in her life, always has received the short end of the stick. Her only other child died as an infant of SIDS. I just feel sick to my stomach. Our family has never had to deal with suicide before. I'm numb and angry all at the same time.

So sorry to hear this! I hope as soon as the shock wears off that your cousin's family can get the help that they need to get through this!

Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. That's just terrible. How sad for your cousin, as well as your whole family. Being angry about it is a normal feeling.......there are usually so many questions and unknowns. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Oh, Rennea, that is awful. Praying for you and your cousin.

Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers are sent your way.

Thanks everyone. This is so new to me and the rest of my family, it's going to be a long road ahead for sure.

Prayers here for your family. So sorry.

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Your cousin must be devastated and heartbroken. Your feelings of anger and sadness are so very natural. I have never had a family member commit suicide, but it seems that anyone around me that has experienced a suicide feels such a wide range of feelings. All I can say is that your loved one must have been in a tremendous amount of pain to have taken their life. {{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} and prayers to you all.

I will be praying for you rennea! God bless you and keep you!:angel:

I am so sorry :(

I am so sorry for you and your family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

What a horrible thing for you and your family to be dealing with. My thoughts and prayers are with you all...

praying for all of you

Oh, Rennea - praying for you and your family.....remember that we are here for you to vent and lean on during this time too.

(((hugs))) to you. Unfortunately, I do know what you're going through. I've had 2 cousins commit suicide. 1 I wasn't close to, the other I was really close to. Your feelings are definately natural. I'm sure you have so many questions, and so many mixed feelings. It takes a long time, but it will eventually get better. I still think of my cousin so often & wonder what he'd be doing now. Our family just treasures the memories of him.
Just stay close to your family; you all need each other now.

Praying that God gives you strength and comfort during this tragic time. {{hugs}}

I am so sorry for your loss. I also know how this feels having lost my cousin Sue to suicide almost 16 years ago. It's devastating but as time goes by you will think of the good times versus the ending. I often wonder what she would have made of herself. Praying for you and your family to get through this extremely difficult and sad time.

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rennea, I am so sorry for your and your family's loss. I have lost close friends and family to suicide, and the feelings you are having are completely normal. Pleaese know that you're in my prayers.

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened in your family.
We've delt with a murder/suicide in our family. It's the hardest thing to understand and deal with.

I'm thinking of you guys *hugs*

Hugs and prayers Rennea.

I'm so sorry. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Rennea - So sorry to hear of your loss...stand by your family and work through it one step at a time.Often suicide is classified as a selfish act. Many commit it thinking things will be "better off" for everyone and they can't see the whole picture and how the suicide itself affect law enforcement, First Responders, the ME, the family members, the neighbors...the list goes on and on...because in all our minds it WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN...it wasn't natural.I haven't had a suicide close to my family in decades, but have seen them as a responder. I can't even imagine the questions going through your mind right now, but will pray that would have the strength to get through this and support your cousin who has lost her child.Lots of hugs to you!

Sending prayers to you & your family.

Thank you everyone again. I can't believe how kind and caring our on-line family is. Thank you so much...

I am so sorry!!! You and your family will be in my prayers.

My grandfather committed suicide several years back. We never knew why. They do not realize the impact and the questions that leaves the family having. Of course, during their state of mind I do not think that is something they can actually consider. My dad searched everywhere for weeks for a note b/c he was the type person that if there was a reason he would tell you whether it hurt you or not. I adn my mother will always believe (b/c of some things that were going on) that there was a note and my grandmother destroyed it before anyone could read it.

((((( HUGS ))))) I'll be praying for you and your family, Rennea. My SIL's husband committed suicide 8 years ago, only 4 months after they were married. We knew the reason, but it still didn't make it easier. Just be there for eachother and try not to keep your feelings inside. Talk to eachother. That's really important.

I was just reading a magazine last night at MIL's house. It had a really great article about teen suicide. I was so engrossed with it, I didn't realize that FIL was talking to me! I wanted to post it for all to read because I do think it touches on so good topics.
http://www.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/lhj/story/data/1202501578071.xml

You and your family are in my prayers.

I'm so sorry! Unfortunately, I've had the same thing happen to me on Feb 13...email me if you need to...I KNOW what you're going through. It's hard. We also just lost another family member this last Thursday (2/28/08) unexpectedly.

Prayers for you, your Aunt and the rest of the family.

I am so sorry for your loss and will be praying for you and your family.

wadesgirl said:
I was just reading a magazine last night at MIL's house. It had a really great article about teen suicide. I was so engrossed with it, I didn't realize that FIL was talking to me! I wanted to post it for all to read because I do think it touches on so good topics.
http://www.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/lhj/story/data/1202501578071.xml

Ok, it just has the start of the story, not the reasons...

janetupnorth said:
That's what I get too - I think you have to be a subscriber to read it.

janetupnorth said:
Guess I didn't check it out, just saw the link. It's in the current month's Ladies Home Journal.

I am so sorry your family is having to deal with this. My sister attempted suicide 15 years ago. Luckily she was not successful but the emotions that everyone goes through are all over the board. Relief that she was unsuccessful, anger that she tried and anger that she did this to us. Disbelief that anyone would try such a thing. Allow yourself to go through all of the emotions that you need to and it is ok to be angry... it is part of the healing process. My uncle was successful in his attempt about a year after my sister - it was horrible to go through the same thing when we had not fully healed. It took me a lot of counciling to fully deal with what had happened.

Good luck to you and your family.

I am so sorry for your loss. It's tragic. I will be praying for you & your cousin. I think it's important to let yourself go through all the emotions. Find someone (a friend, relative, anyone) and talk to them about it. Sometimes vocalizing (not just thinking), while it can bring about more emotions, is very helpful. I was going through a tough time in December. I thought I was handling it all pretty well, but my mind was just starting a thought, then I'd block the thought (to not be so painful). Well, I was talking to a friend one night, and when I actually got through a whole thought, vocally, I totally broke down. It felt good~it was definately a turning point in the situation!
Anyways, prayers are definately going up to God.

Related to Dealing with Suicide: Coping with the Tragic Loss of a Loved One

1. How can I cope with the sudden loss of a loved one to suicide?

The loss of a loved one to suicide can be incredibly difficult to cope with. It's important to allow yourself to grieve and process your emotions. Seek support from friends and family, and consider seeking therapy or joining a support group. Take care of yourself physically and mentally, and allow yourself time to heal.

2. How can I support my family member who has lost a loved one to suicide?

It's normal to feel helpless and unsure of how to support a family member who is grieving a suicide loss. The most important thing you can do is to be there for them, listen to them, and offer your love and support. Encourage them to seek professional help if needed, and be patient with their grieving process.

3. Is it normal to feel angry after a suicide loss?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel a range of emotions after a suicide loss, including anger. Suicide can leave loved ones with a lot of unanswered questions and it's natural to feel angry at the person who took their own life. It's important to find healthy ways to cope with and express this anger, such as talking to a therapist or engaging in physical activity.

4. How can I help my family member who has a history of struggling with mental health?

If your family member has a history of struggling with mental health, it's important to offer them support and encourage them to seek help if needed. You can also educate yourself on mental health and suicide prevention, and be there to listen and offer a non-judgmental ear. Let your family member know that they are not alone and that you are there for them.

5. What resources are available for those who have lost a loved one to suicide?

There are many resources available for those who have lost a loved one to suicide. Local support groups, therapy, and online resources can provide comfort and guidance during the grieving process. You can also reach out to organizations such as the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention or the National Alliance on Mental Illness for support and information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
heat123
Replies
Views
Kitchen2u
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • chefkristin
  • General Chat