• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cleaning Food Chopper - Rude Customer?

In summary, Debbie's food chopper sometimes smells like onions. She suggests washing it with dishwasher soap, leaving it out to air dry, and spraying it with a natural solution with a thyme base.
cindykl2009
I have been going fast and furious with cooking shows lately. When I'm doing a show, I love to demo the food chopper for chopping onions. I find that everyone can relate to the terrible task...lol Now of course I always wash my tools (by hand) before I leave the show. Many times I just leave all my product in my car since I will be having another show in a day or two. When I am at home and use my food chopper, I also wash it well, again by hand. I don't have a dishwasher but do try to use as hot and soapy water as I can stand. Unfortunately, many times there is still an onion odor on my food chopper. Last weekend at a cooking show one of the guests picked up the food chopper and said, "Ew...it smells like onion!" :eek: I can't even remember what my response was but her comment didn't turn into a big deal. Ok, after all that my question is this. Should I soak my food chopper in a hot water with a little added bleach? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I always wash my in the dishwasher. I would soak it for a little while if I were washing it by hand. Once you've washed it and rinse/dry it, do not put it all back together. Leave all the pieces out for some "fresh" air. Then put it back together before you leave for your shows.

HTH,

I too do not have a dishwasher, but I buy gel dishwasher soap because it has bleach in it. When I come home from a show I wash all my tools, except stones of course with dishwasher soap, then as stated in previous post I lay all my tools out to air dry. I have never experienced an odor problem.

Thanks all!

Maybe chop a few other things w/ it like peppers and such, and also soak it in hot water and air dry...maybe a little vinegar too? I've had my original chopper for 6 yrs and have never noticed a smell to it.
Do YOU notice an onion smell or do you think the customer was a little more sensitive to it?

I've never had a problem with mine and I usually wash it by hand too.

I think the problem is not the chopper itself it's the rubber lid. I leave mine to air but once in a while I spray it with a natural solution with a thyme base no chemicals. It usually works. the older chopper's lid did not smell like the new one. Let it breathe I guess when it's not in use...

Lemon juice is great for that! I cut lemons up and leave it on for a few minutes. Then I wash in hot water. Never have an onion smell.

Debbie :D

Mine has smelled like onions before too. I'm glad you started this thread - these are some great ideas.

I don't think the customer was rude to mention it. She was probably just surprised. I probably would say something too:)!

I had a problem with mine smelling before and mentioned it to my director. They told me it shouldn't smell of food and if it did that it was bateria. That freaked me out. I do have a dishwasher and am sure to wash it in there now & seems to have taken care of the problem. Aslo washing it right away after use if by hand and not letting it sit for a few hours seems to help. Love the ideas given.

What is the best way to clean the food chopper?

The best way to clean the food chopper is to disassemble it and wash all the parts with warm soapy water. Be sure to remove any food residue from the blades and dry all parts thoroughly before reassembling.

Can I put the food chopper in the dishwasher?

Yes, the food chopper is dishwasher safe. However, it is recommended to hand wash it for better longevity.

How often should I clean the food chopper?

It is recommended to clean the food chopper after each use to prevent any build-up of food residue. This will also help to maintain the sharpness of the blades.

What should I do if the food chopper becomes dull?

If the food chopper becomes dull, you can sharpen the blades by running them against a sharpening stone or using a knife sharpener. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for best results.

What is the best way to store the food chopper?

The best way to store the food chopper is to disassemble it and store the parts in a clean and dry place. This will help to prevent any rusting or dulling of the blades.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• emiscookin
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
emiscookin
  • mom4angela
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies