• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cheesecake - From the Use and Care

In summary, a cheesecake that was cooked correctly but cracked almost 80% of the way across in one direction and almost halfway in another was brought to an office and everyone loved it. However, one thing that the expert suggests is using a water thing (technical term). Another suggestion is to watch the temp.
KimoMakano
Gold Member
Hi all,
I got brave last night and decided to try a cheesecake. I have never made one before.
I used the recipe from the Springform pan and followed the directions to a "T".
It seemed to cook okay and looked fine, except,
I took it out at 50 minutes instead of 55 because it looked like it was getting overcooked.
When I took it out it cracked almost 80% of the way across in one direction and almost halfway in another. I was almost devastated. I brought it to my office and everyone loved it.
But, what can I do to avoid the cracking?
I have an oven thermometer so I know it was at 350.
Thanks.

One thing that you could try is a water thing (technical term). You wrap the bottom of the springform pan in aluminum foil and then set the whole thing in a shallow pan of water. The moisture helps it to not crack. I can't remember if you have to emerge it or if you just put a pan of water on the shelf below it if that would work too, but I know the emerging thing works.

Smear the top of your cracked cheesecake with some strawberries, or cherry pie filling, or blueberry pie filling, or smothered in melted chocolate, and no one will even notice that it is cracked. :chef:

I make cheese cakes all the time....

One thing you can do if it cracks is fill your EAD with Nutri Whip and pipe a light coat of it on top and then spinkle nuts or graham crust or our delicious spinkles on it and no one will know it is cracked....

However, I now use the water bath to cook them in so it does not crack. Make sure you cover the pan quite well with aluminum foil to prevent water from getting into the cake...it would be quite a lost financially :) I usually place aluminum foil going two direction to make sure I get it all. I use my flat roaster to bake it in. I place the springform pan in the roaster and then add boiling water to the bottom of the roaster about an inch high. Make sure it does not get into the cheesecake!!! As soon as you see the cake is set, it can usually come out. Don't over cook it! Good luck!

If you google Martha Stewart cheesecake, you'll be able to see clips of how it is done.

Another good tip for cheesecakes is watching the temp. I haven't looked at the recipe that comes w/ the springform pan, but I never bake a cheesecake over 325. I usually do about an hour at 325, then crack the oven door and let the cheesecake stay in the oven another 30 mins or so to start cooling down. Too high a temp will cause it to crack, or a sudden temp change. And I always bake them in a water bath.
We too make cheesecakes all the time, it's our favorite birthday cake, and replaces pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving :)

WATER THING.............Michael arts and crafts store sells the things you wrap around cake pand to make them rise evenly on top, not rounded. I forget what they are called but you would find them in the cake deco. isle, They might work.

Thanks for all the ideas. I was wondering about the waterbath thing but figured that PC would mention that. Seems odd they don't.

You can also cut strips of terry cloth (an old towel works well) into strips as wide as the pan is tall. Wet the strips and pin them around the pan (a double-thickness is idea, but once around will do) just before putting it in the oven.This also works if you want to make your cakes bake a little more evenly.

1. How do I properly store my cheesecake?

To store your cheesecake, cover it with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It is best to consume the cheesecake within 3-4 days.

2. Can I freeze my cheesecake?

Yes, you can freeze your cheesecake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.

3. How do I prevent my cheesecake from cracking?

To prevent your cheesecake from cracking, make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature before mixing. Avoid overbeating the batter and do not open the oven door while the cheesecake is baking. You can also place a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven to create a steamy environment which helps prevent cracking.

4. Can I use a springform pan for my cheesecake?

Yes, a springform pan is the recommended pan for making cheesecake. It allows for easy removal of the cheesecake without damaging it.

5. Do I need to use a water bath when baking cheesecake?

A water bath, also known as a bain-marie, is recommended but not required. It helps create a more even and gentle heat for the cheesecake, resulting in a smoother texture and reducing the chances of cracking. If you choose not to use a water bath, make sure to keep an eye on the cheesecake while it bakes and adjust the baking time accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • vanscootin