• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can We Make Forum Interactions More Personal By Using First Names?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of screen names on a public forum and the suggestion to include at least a first name in signatures for easier communication. Some people expressed concerns about privacy and safety, while others found it strange to call each other by screen names. There was also mention of meeting in person and the confusion it can cause when trying to match screen names with real names. Overall, the idea of using a first name or fake name in signatures was seen as a positive suggestion.
pampered1224
Silver Member
And it is not directed at the site but to the people out here who use it.
Could you all please put at least your first names on your signatures so we know who to direct things too?
I would rather call you Sue or Linda or Marlene rather than esavvymom or cholestrolfree in my posts.

Thank you!!

John, your choice of screen names made me laugh. I'm going to start calling you cholesterolfree. :D

I think the reason that some people don't have their names in their signatures is that this is a public forum that anyone in the world can see. We have to be mindful of safety concerns.

and it takes some people some time to figure out how to put a signature on automatically, not everyone is computer literate:cry:

sk8rgrrl99 said:
I think the reason that some people don't have their names in their signatures is that this is a public forum that anyone in the world can see. We have to be mindful of safety concerns.

They can just put a first name, or even a fake name. It's just nice to have some type of name to associate with someone. ;)

I agree! It is strange to call people odd names! LOL!

chefann said:
John, your choice of screen names made me laugh. I'm going to start calling you cholesterolfree. :D
At the price of cholesterol fighting drugs these days, it's hardly free.Good idea, there, Cholesterolfree, I'm with you. Except for me, because if I try to change from anything by TKG (or KG for short) no one will know who I am.Hmmm. Maybe that's not such a bad idea, after all.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
At the price of cholesterol fighting drugs these days, it's hardly free.

Good idea, there, Cholesterolfree, I'm with you. Except for me, because if I try to change from anything by TKG (or KG for short) no one will know who I am.

Hmmm. Maybe that's not such a bad idea, after all.

That reminds me, I was on another site, and someone was signing on as KG, and it was so confusing! I kept thinking "why would KG be on a site for MI Moms?"

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Good idea, there, Cholesterolfree, I'm with you. Except for me, because if I try to change from anything by TKG (or KG for short) no one will know who I am.

You could create another identity and argue with yourself. :rolleyes:

I thought mine was pretty self explanatory... ;)

I don't mind being called wadesgirl...

janetupnorth said:
I thought mine was pretty self explanatory... ;)

I don't think he's talking about you. ...or me.

Yeah. The screen names with a name in them are fairly easy to deconstruct and figure out. But "cookin4UatHome" isn't. (with apologies to anyone who may have that screen name that I just made up)

What else you wanna gripe about boyfriend? LOL

John, if you have a Facebook page, you can friend some of us, and then you'll learn our names.

I agree, though. We feel like one big family here, but the effect is a little lost when responding to wadesgirl rather than Allison (for example).

See mine IS my name, because I wasn't creative enough to come up with a cool 'screen' name.

I agree 100%. I'm on here daily as most of you know but I have some-timers alot of the time and don't have an awesome memory like some i.e Janet, Ann etc. So it drives me nuts when I want to say 'here you go ___, or thanks so much ___' and I have to quote or use a screen name.

Would just a first name really hurt people's privacy? Even a made up one that's actually someone's name rather than an id?

Hey - I am PamperedDor - just ask my mama!! LOL!!

oh poo my name is in my siggy!!.............:p

It can also get a little weird when we meet in person. I can still remember the time at NC when someone came up to me in a crowd, opened her arms to me and said, "Rae Bates? I'm Yummy4You!" Boy, did that turn people's heads. ;)Of course, that was the same year that I volunteered to take part in a demonstration. I was the little devil that whispers negative stuff in your ear when you try something new. People kept coming up to me and saying, "Hey, you're Satan!" That was one weird NC.

LMAO Too funny Rae! Only YOU would come out with that :D

raebates said:
It can also get a little weird when we meet in person. I can still remember the time at NC when someone came up to me in a crowd, opened her arms to me and said, "Rae Bates? I'm Yummy4You!" Boy, did that turn people's heads. ;)

Of course, that was the same year that I volunteered to take part in a demonstration. I was the little devil that whispers negative stuff in your ear when you try something new. People kept coming up to me and saying, "Hey, you're Satan!"

That was one weird NC.

Yeah...I believe RaeBates and Dannzymom yelled out "Hey is that you baychef?" as I was wandering aimlessly at NC breakfast. Within the first 5 minutes of meeting each other face to face, we were sharing gynocilogical horror stories with each other!!!:eek: (that will scare John so bad, he may change his total identity on here and go into hiding!! But even THAT won't make KG blush!!!:blushing:)

But my first name IS Kitchen and my last name is Diva.

Kidding...

I put my nickname down because I didn't want the suspicious people in pretty white jacekts to find me here. :)

I just have used jbdowd0798 for a long time. Its easy for me to remember. J is my husband's first initial (Justin) and B is mine (Becky) and we were married 07/98 :)

But yes i can see how calling someone "SexySally" would be bothersome! LOL

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

raebates said:
You could create another identity and argue with yourself. :rolleyes:

Roses are red
Violets are blue.
I'm schizophrenic
And so am I.

jbdowd0798 said:
But yes i can see how calling someone "SexySally" would be bothersome! LOL

Especially if his name was Fred.

Crystal Patton said:
See mine IS my name, because I wasn't creative enough to come up with a cool 'screen' name.

Crystal......I'm with ya on that one!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Especially if his name was Fred.

Hey! My Fred IS a sexysally! LMAO...okay more like a sexysam...:D

...married to Fred for 15 years ;)

kcjodih said:
Hey! My Fred IS a sexysally!

I'm not sure that's something Freddo would like to have you spilling about to the whole world.

ROTFLMAO- That is too funny!!!! I don't think Fred wants you to discuss his Ginger!

Another thread sucessfully...
threadjacked.gif
Sorry about that, Cholesterolfree.

I just read through here and I needed the laugh!
Its just weird calling someone Cookin4you or pampered this or pamepred that or cholestoralfree. I acutally have been out here since its inception and I used my e-mail address in part. I was not to creative either but I did put my name in there because I thought it would be really weird to be in a conversation with pampered1224 for someone else. Wadesgirl, I love ya but geez, I feel like I am talking to a doll owned by an old man!
Well, I barely have time for this site as you can tell from my post count and I am not knocken anyone out there, but my time is money, if I am on Face book, I am not making money!

Last edited:
pampchefsarah said:
John, if you have a Facebook page, you can friend some of us, and then you'll learn our names.

I agree, though. We feel like one big family here, but the effect is a little lost when responding to wadesgirl rather than Allison (for example).

Okay, since this thread has been bumped, I thought I'd also add that I don't fully understand this post. How can I send a friend request if I don't know the person's name? :confused: Or are people on FB with these same screen names here?

KARI

There....

lol KariI updated my sig. for the picky people. hehehe HUGS! *side note* I know you arent "picky" just interested....right????

Well, Cholesterolfree, since my real name is initials anyway, KG is fine for Cheffers. Even at conference, everyone called me KG and only people who aren't Cheffers called me JR.OK?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, Cholesterolfree, since my real name is initials anyway, KG is fine for Cheffers. Even at conference, everyone called me KG and only people who aren't Cheffers called me JR.

OK?

LOL, I knew it was JR, and I still call you KG. That's just who you are!

KG, JR, OK, LOL, ROFL, TPC, CS...Cripes, we're making alphabet soup here.

yummy I love alphabet soup!

I figured the cooks would want to jump in there, just remember that too many Cheffers ruin the thread.Or something like that, anyway.

babywings76 said:
Okay, since this thread has been bumped, I thought I'd also add that I don't fully understand this post. How can I send a friend request if I don't know the person's name? :confused: Or are people on FB with these same screen names here?

Some people have their first and last names on here. You can look them up on FB and then send a friend request. If they're last name isn't listed then PM and find out that way :)

kcjodih said:
Some people have their first and last names on here. You can look them up on FB and then send a friend request. If they're last name isn't listed then PM and find out that way :)

There also is, somewhere, a thread started where people could list their real name to make it easier to find them on Facebook. I can't find the thread now, though, or I'd post the link.

pampered1224 said:
And it is not directed at the site but to the people out here who use it.
Could you all please put at least your first names on your signatures so we know who to direct things too?
I would rather call you Sue or Linda or Marlene rather than esavvymom or cholestrolfree in my posts.

Thank you!!

What did I do to deserve that??? :confused:

You were there.If you read the rest of the thread, you'll see he felt better later. ;)

esavvymom said:
What did I do to deserve that??? :confused:

I'm sure you're just the poor unfortunate soul that he used as an example and it's nothing personal :)

Mine is boring--a childhood nickname that EVERYONE still calls me. Yeah, I am 55, and I'm still being called the same nickname from when I was 15. But it's cute and when I send an email to anyone who lives in my town they know who it's from.

I just hit "quote" whenever I want to reply to someone. I am terrible with names even if you tell me to my face! :D

esavvymom said:
I just hit "quote" whenever I want to reply to someone. I am terrible with names even if you tell me to my face! :D

Well, that's okay, Grizelda, because we all have trouble with names sometimes. Just ask my wife, What's Her Name, she'll tell you.

1. Why is it important to use first names in forum interactions?

Using first names adds a personal touch to forum interactions and creates a sense of community among users. It allows for more meaningful and genuine conversations.

2. Can I use my username instead of my first name in forum interactions?

While using a username is acceptable, using your first name can make interactions more personal and friendly. It also helps others address you directly in conversations.

3. What if I am not comfortable using my first name in a public forum?

If you are not comfortable using your first name, you can use a nickname or a shortened version of your name. Alternatively, you can use a pseudonym that you are comfortable with.

4. Will using first names compromise my privacy?

No, using your first name in a forum setting is generally safe and will not compromise your privacy. However, if you are still concerned, you can use a nickname or pseudonym instead.

5. How can using first names improve forum interactions?

Using first names in forum interactions can improve communication and build a sense of community among users. It also allows for more personal and meaningful connections to be made between users.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
LibrarianChef
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda