• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Calling Customers to Book, Recruit, Etc.

In summary, Consultants fear making phone calls because they're worried about saying the wrong thing or not being able to articulate what they want. After we've established a relationship by chatting and exchanging emails, they're more likely to be more comfortable talking on the phone.
finley1991
In reading some threads about the lack of success on the Black Friday sales and lack of bookings I've noticed that lots have said that they've mailed flyers and e-mailed notes to people and very few mentioned getting on the phone and actually calling people to book, place orders, see about our consultant opportunity etc. I know that this is something my TEAM struggles with as well.

So my question is: Why won't consultants get on the phone and call their customers? I think this feedback will be interesting in training our teams and new consultants!

Phone phobia. Actually, I do a lot of calling. It seems to take a Herculean effort, though, to pick up the phone for that first call of the evening. After that, it gets easier. I find that if I set a schedule and have someone to whom I'm accountable, I'm much better about doing it.

I'm glad you asked that Colleen. As I sit here i have my customer call log in front of me and i'm staring at it blankly!! I made 2 calls and left messages for people who wanted to book off my vendor night and that's about it. (6 others were interested but i only had e-mail, i sent them a note)
I'm such an easy going person but for some reason the thought of calling people and "bothering" them makes me cringe. I don't know what it is. I just sent out 90 Mini catalogs to everyone who has placed an order from me (but didn't get one from their own show, since nov). I put a label on them to call about gift ideas and call for specials, blah blah. I'm thinking should I call people to see if they got the mini? i feel like i'm being a pain but I don't know why. i've only been doing this (PC) for 5 months and had a great run but things are definitely slowing down and i'm sure it's partly my fault.

any help will be appreciated, especially since you've been doing this for so long...

I struggle with this as well. I hate to bother people in the evening because I know how I am. I don't like to talk after a long day with the kids.

I did make my calls last night and ended up getting one order, a catalog show and a future booking. I only called 5 people.

It works, it just takes the courage.

I agree with the others. I don't like talking on the phone anyway, and it's really hard at the end of a long day to have the energy to make my calls. I also know that if I'm tired & just want to relax, that others probably do too. I always feel like I'm bugging them, especially if it's not for host coaching & they don't know I'm calling.

pamperedgirl3 said:
I agree with the others. I don't like talking on the phone anyway, and it's really hard at the end of a long day to have the energy to make my calls. I also know that if I'm tired & just want to relax, that others probably do too. I always feel like I'm bugging them, especially if it's not for host coaching & they don't know I'm calling.
This is exactly why I started doing my Customer Care Calls (CCCs). I'm not a random call asking them for something. I'm simply calling them to check on them. I want to make sure they love their PC products. I remind them that I'm available if they ever have any questions or problems or need anything at all. It's a friendly, non-threatening, no-obligation phone call. Those calls often lead to sales and/or bookings, but it's not the main topic of the call.

I don't like the phone. I fear not knowing what to say and stumbling over my words. I don't like intruding on people's time and no time seems like the right time to call. I made 10 'out of the box' calls today... caught up on them actually. I only got 1 'live' person and left messages for the others. The messages I left covered what they received, reminded folks about ordering in time for the holidays and told them to call me to book a show. The one 'live' person I got wasn't interested and I unknowingly called her at work so really did intrude on her time (she gave me the number so I had no way of knowing but still). Two of my calls were with folks who WANTED to book a show and one of them I'd already emailed so I wonder what good a phone call will do... today just wasn't a good day though I pushed myself to call them all.

I know that we are all guilty of phone phobia, however, we (including myself) must push through the fear.

If you receive a live person, ask them if this is a good time for them. This way, if they are busy, they will let you know. If I am that busy or don't want to answer my phone, I let the message machine take it (even without checking the caller id!) I am sure I am not the only person that does this.

Those that have the greatest success are those that push through these fears (am I listening to myself???:blushing: )

You are not a tele marketer. They do not ask if this is a good time for you. My brother was complaining about one that keeps calling about refinancing his mortgage....he doesn't have one and he tells this person. He tells them to take him off their list and they don't. You are calling those that have purchased or shown interest in our products. If they told you not to call again I bet we wouldn't.

There are tons of phone scripts provided through Pampered Chef. Rehearse them and then have them nearby for a safety net.

If you are calling a guest that was at a party, did you joke with them? Refer to the party and ask if they had a good time or did they enjoy the recipe. The time you invest in making that connection with the customer costs NOTHING. Mailing all of the mini catalogs takes precious time and money.

Call some customers that were at parties this summer. Ask them how they like their products and if they have any questions about their products. Then ask if they have seen a recent catalog or our mini holiday catalog. If they say no, ask them if they would like you to send them one. Trust me, if they did not want to talk to you, they would not have gotten that far into a conversation with you.

Go ahead and try it...all you have to lose is your fear of the phone!!! Ok, now I have to go and take some of my own advice!!!

My issue is that I have a couple of hours in the morning that would work well to call. BUT that's also the perfect time for housecleaning and such. My daughter is away at pre-k. After that...no calling (or much else) b/c we are together. Hubby comes home, supper, a short time and then bedtime for my daughter. Then, it's too late to call. I feel like I only have about 15 minutes to call each night. I would love to call during the day, but people aren't generally home. I love email b/c I can do it anytime. Calling takes "so much prep". I know, I know...just do it and I DO. I don't mind calling. I just have issue figuring out who to call. CCC...DUH!

There is never a good time for us or what we feel is a good time for our customers. We just have to make the time and then go for it! Please don't think I don't know where you are coming from. I do the same thing and struggle with this much of the time. The struggle is within me.

E-mail is quick and easy, but it is not personalized enough. E-mail doesn't reflect our voice tone or enthusiasm. It literally spews out information not personalization. I wish I could get results this way too, but it just doesn't work.

The person that recruited me used to get so frustrated that people would not call her back when she left a message. My motto became....they will NOT call you back, so if you want to talk to that host, recruit, etc....then I MUST call back.

Conversations can be uneasy but once you get going, it will flow. The first few calls may not flow, but keep trying.

For me, it's not the phone phobia... it's the lack of results. For example; I have probably 30-40 people from drawing slips from the county fair that I email/call weekly. I have not received one single call back. These calls are on top of the leads that I get weekly and at each show. I have sent postcards, packets, etc. and not received anything. I know its just tedious calling, but I thought the percentage was suppose to be 1 in 10 will book a show... or at LEAST call you back/answer their phone. I don't know, I have had a really hard time getting any bookings as well. I even got a couple pages of HO leads from my director, and nothing! It's just depressing! :cry:

I agree that having a reason to call - out of the box, customer care, new products/theme shows makes it a lot easier. But, many of my contacts are from catalog shows and outside orders, often out of state. I wanted to call them all this weekend to offer help with their holiday shopping, but in the end I chickened out because it felt too much like telemarketing since I've never met them in person. That being said, I did call a couple that I had specific reasons to besides just sales.

Cassie1037 said:
For me, it's not the phone phobia... it's the lack of results. For example; I have probably 30-40 people from drawing slips from the county fair that I email/call weekly. I have not received one single call back. These calls are on top of the leads that I get weekly and at each show. I have sent postcards, packets, etc. and not received anything. I know its just tedious calling, but I thought the percentage was suppose to be 1 in 10 will book a show... or at LEAST call you back/answer their phone. I don't know, I have had a really hard time getting any bookings as well. I even got a couple pages of HO leads from my director, and nothing! It's just depressing! :cry:

No doubt it IS depressing and tedious work. But unfortunatley, until your business is established, it is necessary to keep a consistant business. Even now that I am established, I still need to make calls. We are in a service type business. If you walked into a store and the clerk wasn't friendly because it was too tedious to be friendly, only 1 in 30 will purchase something, does it mean she still shouldn't try to offer to help you if you need her assistance?
And I NEVER expect a call back. Unless they have an issue with a product!
HO leads are not any more productive than cold calls. That puzzles me to no end! If you wanted information, why wouldn't you make contact. It would be like a customer asking for the clerk's assistance, and then hiding on the clerk!!!! It makes no sense to me either, but I have learned to just accept it and move on.
I agree it is depressing, and this time of year is especially going to get rougher until mid January, but don't give up. If you ever have the chance to see the made for tv movie "Door to Door" please do watch it. It will inspire you to no end!!

Don't get me started on HO leads.....NONE of mine have panned out.

I just wanted to share my results today so that you all know that PICKING UP THE PHONE IS WORTH IT!!!! I have tracked my results before and it is really astounding what can you do when you focus.

So today I think I've dedicated about 2 hours to calls. This is what happened off the top of my head:
--closed a $1300 show
--booked a Dec catalog show
--booked a January cooking show
--got a $45 order
--scheduled a recruit interview
--talked to 2-3 other booking leads

Those of you who say you have "no time"--this can be in 15 min blocks throughout your day. I call at all times of day. If I reach someone great, if not I leave a message saying that I will call them back, but if they want to call me, here is my number. This is our business, not theirs; therefore it is our responsibilty to make the call back. I think it was Lyn Conway at conference this summer that said it takes 10-12 contacts to get a yes. Keep calling!!!

While I call, my son watches tv or plays independently and then he helps me clean and cook when I'm done working. That way I have my work time and we have our together time and everyone is happy.

Just wanted to encourage you all. If you are newer in your business, you should focus on making big MAC calls after your shows and customer care calls to your customers. The bookings will come as you develop the relationships!!!

Last edited:
I do want to say that email DOES work for me in many cases. I have several customers that live online and love that I get back to them so quickly. In fact, I have one customer that literally can't call me back. Some odd message the requests a code to complete the call (but only to MY number). So email is best for her. I've booked great shows communicating only through email! Whatever works for them. I tell them if they'd rather that I call to let me know when would be convenient and they are happy with email.I agree though, the phone is important especially developing new relationships. I WILL get on the phone more. It IS aggravating to call and call and reach no one. They don't call back very often, but I can 3 times and then say if they change their mind or need something to be sure to call or email.

Debbie... YOU ROCK!!! Congratulations!!! And Jules711...I wish I had your luck with e-mail specials!!! Life would be so much easier! Maybe in the next 10years people will take advantage of e-mail offers more than they do.

baychef said:
If you ever have the chance to see the made for tv movie "Door to Door" please do watch it. It will inspire you to no end!![/QUOTE]

Oh my God, I totally forgot about that movie and it's one of my favorites!! You're so right. It does take a lot to get a yes, I will think of that movie now everytime I need to make a call. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Starting tomorrow I will be calling EACH of my customers and making sure they received my Holiday Mini and seeing if there is anything else they need!

Thanks again, I feel inspired again.

DebbieJ said:
I just wanted to share my results today so that you all know that PICKING UP THE PHONE IS WORTH IT!!!! I have tracked my results before and it is really astounding what can you do when you focus.

So today I think I've dedicated about 2 hours to calls. This is what happened off the top of my head:
--closed a $1300 show
--booked a Dec catalog show
--booked a January cooking show
--got a $45 order
--scheduled a recruit interview
--talked to 2-3 other booking leads

Those of you who say you have "no time"--this can be in 15 min blocks throughout your day. I call at all times of day. If I reach someone great, if not I leave a message saying that I will call them back, but if they want to call me, here is my number. This is our business, not theirs; therefore it is our responsibilty to make the call back. I think it was Lyn Conway at conference this summer that said it takes 10-12 contacts to get a yes. Keep calling!!!

While I call, my son watches tv or plays independently and then he helps me clean and cook when I'm done working. That way I have my work time and we have our together time and everyone is happy.

Just wanted to encourage you all. If you are newer in your business, you should focus on making big MAC calls after your shows and customer care calls to your customers. The bookings will come as you develop the relationships!!!

I'm just curious, how many times do you leave a message before giving up on that person and how long between messages?

ginamkiely said:
baychef said:
If you ever have the chance to see the made for tv movie "Door to Door" please do watch it. It will inspire you to no end!![/QUOTE]

Oh my God, I totally forgot about that movie and it's one of my favorites!! You're so right. It does take a lot to get a yes, I will think of that movie now everytime I need to make a call. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Starting tomorrow I will be calling EACH of my customers and making sure they received my Holiday Mini and seeing if there is anything else they need!

Thanks again, I feel inspired again.

Gina, you are so welcome!!! I have a sign I made after watching that movie and it hangs front and center at my desk. It is simply the following:

Patient
Bearing pain or trials without complaints

Persistence
To go on resolutely or stubbornly in spite of difficulties.

You're not working your business unless your phone handle is warm.

Thinking about it is NOT the same thing as DOING it!

Just somethings that I had heard that struck a note with me and to help me from falling into my own pity party (I love to party so much that a pity party will do for me, sometimes!!)

You made my day knowing that I have helped inspire you! What a remarkable movie that is. It puts it all into perspective!

sfdavis918 said:
I'm just curious, how many times do you leave a message before giving up on that person and how long between messages?

For me, I may call once a week. I sometimes will get sneaky and press *67 before I dial. Usually, this will block your number and name so the person may pick up. The people that are proficient at avoiding people are ones that do not accept blocked calls. I also will try a cell phone number which does not give a caller id name. This is only if I need to get ahold of a someone for a specific reason. Sometimes I may have a lapse of a month between calls or just do a random call if it is someone that wanted to book a party but not give a date.

sfdavis918 said:

I call at least 5 times before giving up and wait sometimes a day or two (if I know I've called while they're at work) or as long as whenever I get to them next! LOL! It depends why I'm calling. Booking leads I'll call back in a week or two, but recruit leads get a call just once a month.

1. How do I approach potential customers when calling to book or recruit?

When calling potential customers, it's important to introduce yourself and explain your role with Pampered Chef. Make sure to mention any current promotions or specials that may interest them. Be friendly, polite, and respectful of their time. It's also helpful to have a specific reason for the call, such as inviting them to a virtual cooking demonstration or offering them a free gift with their first purchase.

2. How do I handle objections from potential customers when calling to book or recruit?

Objections are common when calling potential customers, but it's important to listen to their concerns and address them with empathy. Take the time to understand their objections and offer solutions or alternatives. For example, if they are hesitant to host a party, you can offer the option of a virtual party instead. It's also helpful to share your personal experience with Pampered Chef and how it has benefited you, as this can help alleviate any doubts they may have.

3. How often should I follow up with potential customers when calling to book or recruit?

Following up with potential customers is crucial in booking and recruiting. It's recommended to follow up at least three times, spaced out over a few weeks. This shows your persistence and dedication, but also gives them enough time to consider your offer. If they still seem hesitant, you can offer to send them more information or answer any questions they may have before making a decision.

4. How can I keep track of my calls and follow-ups with potential customers?

Pampered Chef provides a customer management tool that allows you to keep track of your calls and follow-ups with potential customers. You can also create your own system, such as a spreadsheet or a planner, to stay organized and ensure you don't miss any follow-ups. It's important to keep detailed notes on each call, such as the date, time, and outcome, so you can refer back to them in the future.

5. What should I do if a potential customer is not interested in booking or recruiting?

Not everyone will be interested in booking or recruiting, and that's okay. It's important to be respectful of their decision and thank them for their time. You can also offer to add them to your customer mailing list, so they can stay updated on future promotions and new products. Remember to always end the call on a positive note and leave the door open for them to contact you in the future if they change their mind.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered2007
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ChefBevShu
  • NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • kaseydee