• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

?? Books Dealing With Death and Divorce ??

In summary, a woman's dear friend recently left her husband and moved into a smaller apartment with her children. On Monday, her father passed away suddenly, adding to her already difficult situation. The speaker would like to reach out and offer an uplifting book on dealing with death and/or divorce, especially ones with religious themes. They ask for suggestions from the group and recommend checking with a religious leader or recommending books by Elisabeth Kubler Ross. The speaker also mentions "The Secret" as a potential book to look into. They end by sending their prayers and offering hugs to the family.
chefjenibel
I have a very dear friend who left her husband of 13 years about 2 months ago. She and her three children moved from their 2-story, 5-bedroom house into a 2-bedroom apartment and they have made a lot of sacrifices. Then, on Monday, her father (66yo) passed away suddenly. She is a very strong woman and doesn't like to accept help from others, but I feel like this is too much for anyone to handle. I would like to reach out to her by giving her an uplifting book on dealing with Death and/or Divorce. She is a religious person, so religious books are okay, too. I know a lot of you are very inspirational people, so I thought you might have some suggestions on a good book. Please keep this family in your prayers as well. Her 11yo DS is already very quiet and I'm just afraid of what he is truly feeling and not expressing. Thank you!!

Last edited:
I went that party quite a few years ago, but I suspect my situation was different and the uplifting books I read probably aren't appropriate for her.Check with the pastor of your church/her church because I find most clergy have a library of such books. Tell her the first 90 days are the hardest - when your chest feels like you've been hit with a 2x4 and nothing seems to make it feel better. Time is the only thing that makes it feel better.

OMG - what an awful situation. I had a friend years ago who left with her 3yo twins...and 4 months later their Daddy was kille din a motorcycle wreck. It's SO hard. I'll keep them in my prayers.

I will pray for her! I don't have a book to recommend for her, i'm sorry. Please give her a hug for me!

I administered a grief seminar at our old church. I also worked in a funeral home during high school and college.
I would suggest any books (or her greeting cards) by Elizabeth Kubler Ross. I had a chance to hear her speak in Dallas in 93 she was excellent. We always had a variety of her books we included in our funeral packages.

I haven't had a chance to read the book "The Secret" yet, but my mom has really enjoyed it...especially after her divorce with my dad after 25 years...Here is a quick description from Amazon:
In this book, you'll learn how to use The Secret in every aspect of your life -- money, health, relationships, happiness, and in every interaction you have in the world. You'll begin to understand the hidden, untapped power that's within you, and this revelation can bring joy to every aspect of your life.The Secret contains wisdom from modern-day teachers -- men and women who have used it to achieve health, wealth, and happiness. By applying the knowledge of The Secret, they bring to light compelling stories of eradicating disease, acquiring massive wealth, overcoming obstacles, and achieving what many would regard as impossible.Hopefully someone has read it to let you know whether it is truely appropriate or not. Hugs :)

I second Teresa Lynn's suggestion of Elisabeth Kubler Ross books. My brother was killed in a car accident when I was 20, and he was 19 - her book, "On Death and Dying" was very helpful for me.

Related to ?? Books Dealing With Death and Divorce ??

1. What books do you recommend for children dealing with the death of a loved one?

Some books that we recommend for children dealing with death are "The Invisible String" by Patrice Karst, "The Memory Box: A Book About Grief" by Joanna Rowland, and "The Goodbye Book" by Todd Parr. These books offer gentle and comforting ways for children to understand and cope with their feelings of loss.

2. Are there any books that address divorce from a child's perspective?

Yes, there are several books that address divorce from a child's perspective. Some popular titles include "Two Homes" by Claire Masurel, "Dinosaurs Divorce" by Laurene Krasny Brown and Marc Brown, and "It's Not Your Fault, Koko Bear" by Vicki Lansky. These books help children understand that divorce is not their fault and offer reassurance and coping strategies.

3. Are there any books that specifically deal with the loss of a pet?

Yes, there are many books that specifically deal with the loss of a pet. Some recommended titles are "Saying Goodbye to Lulu" by Corinne Demas, "Dog Heaven" by Cynthia Rylant, and "The Tenth Good Thing About Barney" by Judith Viorst. These books offer comfort and understanding for children who have lost a beloved pet.

4. Are there any books that address the death of a parent?

Yes, there are books that address the death of a parent. Some suggested titles are "The Fall of Freddie the Leaf" by Leo Buscaglia, "Always and Forever" by Alan Durant, and "I Miss You: A First Look at Death" by Pat Thomas. These books help children understand and cope with the difficult emotions that come with losing a parent.

5. Do you have any books that deal with divorce for older children?

Yes, we have books that deal with divorce for older children. Some recommended titles are "The Divorce Express" by Paula Danzinger, "The Great Gilly Hopkins" by Katherine Paterson, and "It's Not the End of the World" by Judy Blume. These books address the challenges and emotions that older children may face during their parents' divorce.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jesusluvsu2005
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies
Views
Gina M
  • vanscootin
  • General Chat
Replies