• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

aReal Kick in the Gut.....lesson in Procrastination (Long) ??

In summary, the host's friend from August canceled her show with the host, so the host had to book someone else. The host told the guest that she was welcome to do her show with her friend, but the guest refused. The host lost future business because the friend and fellow PTA member are now consultants.
esavvymom
Staff member
I needed to come and let off some steam here with others who understand.

Ok...so here's the back story:
I had a show in July...pretty good show. Booked 3 shows, had one possible recruit lead who had also booked a show. I told the recruit lead that I was heading to Chicago, but would get in touch with her when I got back. She had asked me if she could get the bookings from the July show, if she were to sign up. Well, I said we could work something out...I mean, after all, it wasn't HER show, right? I was planning on asking to have the August show and she could take the September and of course, she had HER show. I gave her a packet to look over (she was a former consultant from about 4-5 yrs ago) and said I'd call when I got back from Chicago. She said, 'ok'. And knew I'd call when I got back. I did, a few days after I got back. She told me that she was not interested in the biz and that she had to cancel her show (in October) because she was just too busy. :confused:

Fast forward to tonight's show- a booking from July. The same gal was there because she was friends with the host also. I knew that, I even talked to her when doing the reminder calls. She was friendly, etc.

So my September booked show was a booking off of my host for tonight (they piggy-backed bookings so one each had a booking)....anyway, she talked to me privately to say she was "caught between a rock and a hard place". She said she felt obligated to have her show with me, but since she's also hosting for "someone else" , she wasn't sure what to do. I asked her what she meant- was she hosting a PC show for another consultant? Turns out...this recruit lead of mine from August- DID SIGN UP!!!! But with someone else. I was shocked. Hurt actually. Not really mad...I can't be mad at her, without knowing why...but it stung. I tried hard not to react...this girl was very nice and felt bad. I told her that she should have her show with her friend and that the booking benefit followed the HOST not the Consultant. I said I wasn't 100% sure HOW to set it up, but that the other consultant/friend and I would work it out so that tonight's host got the Booking Benefit. She insisted on doing a catalog show with me at least.

I debated Congratulating the new consultant, but she was avoiding me like I had the plague....of course, I now knew why. As I was cleaning up, I told the host that if her friend wanted, it was ok to not do the show with me. I was ok with it....and she of course knew what happened (the girl pulled her aside too). I said it kind of surprised me since I had talked to her. I said I would have been fine with it- she could have been honest with me...that's fine.

What stinks too though is the lost future business! The host tonight said had she known, she would have done her show with her- because they are friends. So all of the future business with this group is now gone- at least as long as she stays in business. AND many of these ladies are actively involved in a local PTA group- and the host and I were talking before that the PTA was thinking about letting vendors set up tables at the PTA meetings, and she asked if that is something I'd be interested in...I said of course! So of course, now that the friend and fellow PTA member is a consultant, I've probably lost that local opportunity. :grumpy:

Anyway. It stings. I know it will happen from time to time- maybe it just hurts being my first. I'm a little irritated (about the lost future business), but mostly hurt. I'm also sitting here wondering what I did WRONG that she wouldn't even talk to me. The only thing I could possibly have done differently I guess was to call her while I was traveling...but I just didn't feel that would work for me- traveling is rough enough as it is..(we were driving- my DH, and 2 boys and I).

I have a feeling maybe she signed under who she was with before- or at least I HOPE that was it. :)

I just had to let it out....so I can bless and release. :(

Welcome to direct sales!

LOL...I know..still sucks. But, it's got me determined to start following up- more frequently- no matter what....and to get something going locally- so I don't lose any more business to her (small town).

I think you will not lose that business in the long run. If she isn't honest to you about signing up, will she be capable of running an honest business?

Look at it this way. This is a great opportunity for you to show how gracious you can be. The reality is that most people are not in direct sales for the long haul. Make sure that these people know that you're still available to answer any questions. Send a note of congratulations to the "lost" recruit and offer to be a resource if she has any questions. This way in the event that her business doesn't work out you'll have left a really good impression. Some of these people may very well be back.

Unfortunatley, you don't know the whole story and it is hard to get it when she avoids you like the plague!

From personal experience, I was a former consultant, told my recruiter I was interested and it took her over a week to get me something. And that was just the little brochure! I was ready and wanted to sign that night. I wanted to get started and really didn't need to wait on someone to call me. I just needed her cons.# to get signed. So, maybe she was just ready and didn't want to wait till after Conference to talk to you. Also, she might not have realized what a big deal it was as to who you signed under. I sold for 9 months before and never realized that it mattered until I came back.

I think that is where doing a small interview right there at the show is good if they have time. And the question "do you need to know why to get started or just how to get started?" is golden!

I am SO sorry you lost your recruit and the business that goes along with it! Maybe (if you can take constructive critism) you could call her. Congratulate her and tell her you would like to take this as a learning experience. What made her decide to sign up with the company again and what could you have done differently? Take this time to tell her that 'sandy' booked a show off of last nights host and that would, of course, be her show. Her friends should have shows with her! (your chance to be gracious and end it on a good note)

Good luck!!!

You're handling it well and graciously. I would be curious to know (just for my own benefit) if she signed elsewhere because you were gone and she didn't want to wait or if someone else heard she was interested and "stole her" and promised her stuff for signing with her. If it was the first, you know you need to be prompt on responding...the latter, well that isn't your fault...

raebates said:
Look at it this way. This is a great opportunity for you to show how gracious you can be. The reality is that most people are not in direct sales for the long haul. Make sure that these people know that you're still available to answer any questions. Send a note of congratulations to the "lost" recruit and offer to be a resource if she has any questions. This way in the event that her business doesn't work out you'll have left a really good impression. Some of these people may very well be back.

This is true! Rae is right...the tenure really isn't that long for some people.

Also, just a note...this new gal is starting her business on a bad foot I think. Rather than being honest with you about signing elsewhere she lied about that and her show.Then after signing she attended another show of yours KNOWING she was a consultant without telling you and also working on getting those bookings.If she continues on that path, she won't build a strong business.Move on, be gracious and you will win in the end.

You're all right of course. :D I know when I had talked to her at the night of the show, she hadn't even thought about signing again at that point and said she'd look at the information and think about it until we talked. But one thing that had stuck in my mind was the question she did ask me..."If I signed, would you give me the bookings from tonight's show?" She wasn't the host of that show, but a friend of the host and most of the ladies there. I said "We could certainly work something out- yes!". What I was thinking was me take the next one, and she had the rest. Maybe that turned her off, but funny thing- that's how it turned out anyway. Ms. August (last night's host) didn't even KNOW she had signed up.

I do know from our first conversation that she was a consultant about a year...4 or 5 years ago. She had a hard time getting bookings. So we'll see. Maybe if it doesn't work out for her, as you say, she won't stick it out. I don't really care. I was going to send her a note to say congratulations or something. I just don't want it to come across sarcastic.. - a phone call would just be too weird for me and probably her. . I figured- it's her loss. :D I may not be the best at my Show-Presence, but I'm pretty good/getting better at the rest of it! :)

I am going to let Ms. September know that she really does not have to do a catalog show with me if she is planning on hosting a cooking show with Ms. October (the recruit-lost) in the upcoming months...she might as well save the orders for it...unless she really wants to take advantage of the Stoneware special. Even still- she should do the book show with Ms. October. I don't want a "sympathy show". :)

I'm ok with it...and am using it as a learning experience. I mainly needed to get it off my chest and have my mini-pity party..but also to serve as a reminder to others why follow-up is important in a timely fashion. It's one of the key areas I'm focusing on right now.

Thanks for "listening" and for the honest feedback.

The one thing that sorta sticks out like a sore thumb to me in this is that she is a past consultant.

So - she KNEW the process of signing as a consultant, and she also had knowledge of how things worked with bookings. In light of that, what she did was underhanded.

I agree with Janet - she's starting her business on a dishonest basis, and I don't think she'll last long.

Sorry you had to deal with her, and the way she made you feel sad. She, of all people, should have known to deal with you in an upright manner.

So sorry this happened to you....kinda suspicious, I think--like she was toying with you the first time....and because she was a former consultant....kind of smacks of lack of integrity to me...it will come back to bite her.

well, I went to Conference, so I just need to make that work to my advantage- work MY business and I won't think about her anymore after my customer care is done. God is good and will bless my work as He sees fit if this is what he wants me to be doing.:D

Ouch, that hurts. I once did a show, a former consultant was a guest and booked a show. Called her for the first host coaching call and she said she had gotten so inspired by being at the show that she decided to sign again. She contacted her former director. I get that and understand. But the part that irked me was that her former director had not stayed in touch with her. It has taught me to stay in touch with people who have dropped out of the biz so that I'm the one they sign or host with in the future. I can't count on anyone contacting me, but I bet this potential recruit you dealt with contacted her former director or someone else she knew.

Think of it this way - whatever you did at your show and in your discussion with her inspired her to get back into the biz. The next person you inspire will sign with YOU. You're doing something right.

Becca_in_MD said:
Ouch, that hurts. I once did a show, a former consultant was a guest and booked a show. Called her for the first host coaching call and she said she had gotten so inspired by being at the show that she decided to sign again. She contacted her former director. I get that and understand. But the part that irked me was that her former director had not stayed in touch with her. It has taught me to stay in touch with people who have dropped out of the biz so that I'm the one they sign or host with in the future. I can't count on anyone contacting me, but I bet this potential recruit you dealt with contacted her former director or someone else she knew.

Think of it this way - whatever you did at your show and in your discussion with her inspired her to get back into the biz. The next person you inspire will sign with YOU. You're doing something right.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of it THAT way. I did assume she probably went with her former director or maybe a friend who was in the biz....but hadn't thought about the rest. :)

1. What is the main lesson taught in "A Real Kick in the Gut...Lesson in Procrastination"?

The main lesson taught in this story is the negative consequences of procrastination and the importance of taking action and being proactive in achieving our goals.

2. How does the author use personal experience to illustrate the lesson of procrastination?

The author shares a personal story of missing out on a major opportunity due to procrastination and reflects on the disappointment and regret that followed. This personal experience serves as a relatable example for readers to understand the consequences of procrastination.

3. What are some techniques suggested in the story to overcome procrastination?

The story suggests setting small achievable goals, breaking tasks into manageable chunks, and creating a schedule or timeline to stay on track. It also emphasizes the importance of accountability and seeking support from others.

4. How does the story address the role of fear in procrastination?

The story acknowledges that fear can be a major factor in causing procrastination. It encourages readers to identify and confront their fears, and to focus on the potential positive outcomes rather than the negative consequences of taking action.

5. How can the lessons from "A Real Kick in the Gut...Lesson in Procrastination" be applied in other areas of life?

The lessons from this story can be applied in various areas of life, such as work, relationships, and personal goals. By recognizing the negative effects of procrastination and taking action, individuals can improve their productivity, achieve their goals, and reduce stress and anxiety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Liquid Sky
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • Brenda.the.chef