• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Consultant Etiquette: Wearing Denim Aprons

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of apron choices and how they can vary depending on the crowd or occasion. Some people prefer to wear a denim apron for casual events, while others opt for a black or HWC apron for more formal occasions. There was a discussion about whether this practice could be seen as a form of profiling, with some participants stating that they choose their apron based on the social status of the host or guests. However, others simply choose their apron based on what matches their outfit or the theme of the event. Overall, the group had a variety of apron preferences and rotated between different styles depending on the situation.
Amyskitchen2
I really don't post here much but I had a question. Does anyone still wear their Denim Apron? The reason I ask is we were visiting friends in Alabama and I went to a show at my friend's neighbor's house and the consultant wore the denim apron. She said she picks her apron depending on the crowd. Farmer's market = Denim, Nice neighborhood = Black apron, Middle class = she asks the host what her guest will feel more comfotable with, etc... Is this the norm? Just curious.

I think that is an interesting perspecitive... apron choice based on the crowd... personally I wear the black apron for everything. Before it came out, I didn't wear one at all. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but the sociologist in me says this screams profiling.

I wear a HWC apron I earned a few years back to all my shows. It's a conversation starter for the charitable programs.

I wear a bunch of different aprons. Haven't worn the denim in a while but if she's comfortable in it, there is no reason not to.

I haven't worn an apron in years.

I rarely wore the denim apron when it was the one to wear. I had others my director had passed along cuz the demin one was ENORMOUS!!! I know we say the aprons are "one size fits all" but THAT apron fit me AND all the guests!! LOVE the black apron!

I usually wear the color to go with the season or holidays current or coming up, or to go with the food I am making, pizza and beer or breakfast = denim, drinks and appetizers = black. Now its the HWC. Isn't that crazy? I plan my outfit around the food and apron color! :D

Sandi

I have a TON of aprons. I usualy wear the black one now but I do switch off often, including the denim. It depends on the season and what's clean. My denim isn't any bigger than the others by the way.

I can totally see wearing a denim apron for a Farmers Market - just like I don't dress up when I go shopping at the Farmers Market - it's more casual. Not sure how that would be profiling - I dress up more if I'm going someplace that is going to be more upscale, and I don't dress up if I'm going to be someplace more casual. I consider my Black apron, or one of my HWC aprons to be dressier than my denim apron.

ChefBeckyD said:
I can totally see wearing a denim apron for a Farmers Market - just like I don't dress up when I go shopping at the Farmers Market - it's more casual. Not sure how that would be profiling - I dress up more if I'm going someplace that is going to be more upscale, and I don't dress up if I'm going to be someplace more casual. I consider my Black apron, or one of my HWC aprons to be dressier than my denim apron.

I agree. I dress (and choose the apron if I am wearing one) depending on how I think others will be dressed and I try to not be dressed more casual than the guests will be. Casual for outdoor market or party that I KNOW everyone else will be wearing jeans-type clothes, dressy-ish for wedding shower or a Sunday party... If in doubt I go for business casual or a step up from what I think they are wearing. As long as my apron is clean and pressed ANY one of them works for all occasions - ok... the denim is for casual but you know that was all we had for YEARS and no one thought anything of it.

ChefBeckyD said:

As stupid as it may be, basing an apron choice on the social status of a host/guest is a form of profiling. Just my opinion. Nothing more nothing less.

I have probably 10 aprons at this point in my career with PC. I rotate, HWC in spring to promote that and based on what matches the outfit I am wearing.

Whoa, profiling with an apron. Profiling isn't always a bad thing, you know.

Asking a host what the guest will be more comfortable with sounds like good hostessing, actually. When I invite people to my home, I think about setting things up so they will be comfortable.

Although I can't imagine asking a host to make such a small decision for me!

I personally can't stand the black apron because it tends to collect lint faster than I can dig out my lint roller and I feel tacky when I look down and see it. I like the denim because (IMHO) it gives the impression of casualness and fun at my shows & events such as vendor fairs. I also have sort of a "uniform" that I wear to my events - khaki bottoms (skirt, capris, or pants) with a solid top (usually white but pale pink during May for HWC and other girly colors). :)

ShellBeach said:
Although I can't imagine asking a host to make such a small decision for me!

Exactly! Who the h e double hockey sticks cares what apron you wear? It's personal preference.

My point was in the way the OP stated it...

But I would love to know in what world a PC apron would effect the "comfort level" of a host/guest. Unless there is a consultant out there running around with a big offensive saying on it. Seriously, it's an apron.

I usually only wear my apron is for vendor events and I quit doing that recently because the only "nice" one I have is the black one but the logo wore off in the first wash. I like that I can put mini catalogs and recipe cards in the pockets to hand out. Other than that I don't wear the aprons unless it's Help Whip Cancer month. Then I wear one of the pink ones to help promote them.

Wow, I didn't expect such a response. I was just curious what everyone else wore. I personally don't wear an apron, probably because I am always pregnant and can't get them to fit comfortably.

It's a PC response to the culinary world - black is more "in" than denim. Denim apron was hot in the early 90's with the denim shirts, khaki's and buckskin shoes - now you don't see those shirts other than on a Marlboro ad.

I don't ever wear an apron at my shows. But I also don't cook at my shows, the guests do. I wore the denim one Halloween 2009, then hubby wore it for Halloween 2010 & I wore my red Director apron. Then I finally broke down & wore the black one at a bridal show a couple of weekends ago. Don't even have any of the others here in TX, they are still in Japan.I think it's fine to switch up & wear different ones if you like to wear them. But there's no rule that we have to wear a certain one.

Not everybody has the black apron. I wouldn't have it if I hadn't bought it on a supply order.

I am thinking of hauling out the denim at an upcoming grill show. Is it me, or is the black just hotter?

I don't wear PC aprons because they have always been huge on me. I started wearing a waste apron...just like a waitress would wear...because they aren't too long and fit nice around my waste. Is the new black apron smaller? I would love for PC to give us a waste apron. I saw that the men could earn a bistro apron...aren't they lucky. That is a much better choice for me personally, but even those would probably be too long.

Rarely wore the denim apron because my style is usually dressier than that. I like the look of the black one a lot better. But - I earned the table runner and if the apron is from that same fabric, not sure I'd wear it much.

I'm with you Shawnna, I wish the waist apron for men was on supply order because that would be the one I'd get.

I just got the new one we are earning this month. Best one ever in my opinion. Classy looking and it looks like it will wear well - much nicer than the black one. If you like to wear an apron and haven't done two shows yet in April get on the phone and earn this one!! This will be my go to apron whenever possible. ...And I have to say that generally I hate paisley, I never got into Vera Bradley bags for that reason, but this pattern has grown on me and I now love it!I also hope that they add a waist apron to the supply order. I would buy it in an instant. ...hmmm I need to email that to HO - the more they hear our suggestions the more likely we will see it.

Hmmm....probably not okay with HO, but one with sewing skills could probably make a waist apron out of the full-size one...

One without sewing skills could alter it too. Whack off the bib portion, leaving 1-1/2 inches, turn that under twice and use doublesided basting tape that you simply iron between the layers and voila! Instant waist apron!

ChefPeg said:
Hmmm....probably not okay with HO, but one with sewing skills could probably make a waist apron out of the full-size one...

HO wouldn't care. You can change your apron any way you want or wearable different, non-pc, one or none at all.

Nine years in and still wear the denim apron more than any other one. It fits me better than any of the other PC aprons I have and it has the best pockets. IMHO

I like the denim, but have been using the newer black one since I earned it.

There's just something about me and those aprons. By the time I get done, it feels like it's trying to strangle me! It's something about the adjustable straps that doesn't work with my body or something. I like wearing an apron for shows but these have to come off as soon as I am done cooking. I still have my shirt with the logo on it but the apron has to go asap. :)

Out of curiosity, can we still get the denim one? I know they are not on the supply list, but wondered if there were any new floating out there.

I love the black paisley one for most shows (depends what I'm wearing) and I have been wearing the denim one at home more for freezing veggies and making a mess in.

byrd1956 said:
Out of curiosity, can we still get the denim one? I know they are not on the supply list, but wondered if there were any new floating out there.

Probably on eBay

1. Do people still wear their Denim Apron as a Pampered Chef consultant?

Yes, some consultants do still wear their Denim Apron. It is a matter of personal preference and what the consultant feels most comfortable and confident wearing.

2. Do consultants choose which apron to wear based on their audience?

Some consultants may choose to wear a specific apron based on their audience. For example, they may wear a Denim Apron to a farmer's market or a Black Apron to a more upscale neighborhood. However, this is not a requirement and ultimately it is up to the consultant's personal preference.

3. Is it common for consultants to ask the host what apron their guests will feel comfortable with?

Some consultants may choose to ask the host which apron their guests would prefer. This is a considerate gesture, but again, it is not a requirement and ultimately up to the consultant's discretion.

4. Is wearing a specific apron based on the crowd the norm?

No, there is no strict norm for which apron a consultant should wear. It is ultimately up to the consultant's personal preference and what they feel most comfortable and confident wearing.

5. Why do some consultants prefer to wear a Denim Apron?

Some consultants may prefer to wear a Denim Apron because it is a durable and versatile option. It can also give off a more casual and approachable vibe, which may be suitable for certain audiences or events.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pckelly
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
husbandwifepcteam
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • PamperChefCarol
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies