• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bidding on a PS3 on Ebay - Help Me Get the Perfect Christmas Gift for My DH!

In summary, Gillian is looking to get a Playstation for her husband for Christmas, but is having a hard time finding one. She is hoping that good karma will help her out, and is keeping an eye on the auction. She also suggests that someone might be willing to give her a gift card to the store she plans on buying it from.
gilliandanielle
Please wish me luck! I really want to get one for my DH for Xmas and can't find one anywhere. I can't tell anyone because no one can keep a secret, so I need good karma sent my way. I will let you know how it goes but I am so excited to think that I might be the proud owner of a Playstation tomorrow!

I know I am a dork but it is going to ruin my Christmas if I can't find one for DH because he is SO hard to shop for!

Good luck Gillian! I know how you feel, my husband is SUPER hard to shop for, but he always manages to find the perfect gifts for me--which makes it even harder on me!

Good luck! I've heard they're going for WAY too much... Some for $2000! I hope you're not spending that much...

Thanks! He has been bragging for weeks that he was already done shopping for me and that I am going to be so happy. I have NO plans other than this (almost $600 so my budget is tapped) and no ideas, so hopefully it works out. 5 hours left and I am still the high bidder!

Jennie- We posted at the same time! I am bidding $305 right now but will go up to $410. I can't break the bank right now plus it still needs games/ accessories!

Good luck! Make sure you are watching in the last minutes to you can outbid anyone who tries to soop in over you at the last minute. Constantly refresh! I have had this happen to me in the last few seconds! Not wanting to worry you - just wanting to give you some tips to win! Go ahead and enter the absolute highest you are willing to go!

Let us know if you win. I get such an adrenalin rush at the end of an auction I really want! Yes, I am crazy!

I hope it goes well for you! Let us know!

My husband is dying for Guitar Hero 2... I'm just waiting for it to go on sale, hopefully.

My adrenaline gets going too every time I check it. It ends at 11:30 my time tonight and DH goes to bed early, so I'll be able to totally focus on it without looking suspicious! I should up my bid I guess, but I want to leave some room to bump it at the last minute!

Hey Gillian! GOOD LUCK!!!I have a thought JUST IN CASE you don't win... wrap a box, in the box put an envelope, in the envelope put a picture of one and tell him that it is his just as soon as they get them in the stores... it's just a thought and that way you don't have to break the bank, so to speak! PLUS... maybe you can tell other family members that your plan is to get it for him, so maybe, they will be willing to give gift cards to the store that you plan on purchasing it at so he can get additional games... it's just a thought!!GOOD LUCK! Bidding is fun... but can be stressful!

Jaye that's an awesome idea!!

That's pretty much what I suggest to my customers that miss the Christmas cut-off (before we had expedited shipping).

so gillian did you get it?

Uh, I came straight here! I am so tired and stayed up just to make sure I got it. In the last 5 minutes I was outbid but $230! I know it is just the preggy hormones, but I just want to cry! Those PS3 nerds are so cutthroat! I bid on another one that said that he just wanted to make what he spent because his son wants the Wii instead. I wrote him (the bidding had ended with no bids) and asked if he was going to relist with a lower price (he had it listed $240 more than he paid) and he wrote me back this really nasty letter. I doubt he really has a son!!

Like I said I just want to cry. I have been calling Walmart everyday to see if they have any yet and am so tired of this! If I had ANY others ideas for DH I would scrap this immediatly, but it is pretty much a PS3 or foot rub coupons, LOL!! Thanks for the support ladies...

Have you checked on Amazon.com?

I'm sorry Gillian. :( Ebay can be great sometimes but it's all in the timing. My hubby has been bidding on these cars diecast vehicles and 2 weeks ago, Leakless was selling for over $15 for one little car! Now, it's going for the same price that you can buy it in the store. Now if only you can find one!

Good Luck and don't let it ruin your day. I know it can be tough but find another auction to target!:)

If you can't find another auction how about a gift card to an electronics store where he can get one when they come in? Not even a close second to the real thing I know, but still worth thinking about.

Sorry you didn't get it Gillian. Bidding can be fun & stressful at the same time. Especially down at the end!
I did learn not to bid up something unless you really want it! I was watching Packers tickets a few years ago; my DH has been a fan his whole life. I bid on some that were the cheapest I'd ever seen them. Well, then I won them! Then I had to figure out if we could even go...beings how we live in KS! It all worked out for us though (& had a blast!)....so I"m sure it will work out for you! You still have a couple weeks!
I few years ago I was searching for a PS2 & no one had them. I did finally find one though:)

Ps3Do you have a craigslist in your area? It is a local classified that helps me find lots of things when I need something. Not that I would ever be in the market for a PS3 but if I was I would look there. If not try the local paper, try to strike up a deal with someone. They are hot right now and should be listed in several places by people who actually stood in line for one. It's getting close to Christmas and if they only stood in line to buy one so they could resell it, you should be able to work out something with them. I will keep and eye out for one and I don't know how much shipping would be but maybe you could buy one from someone in the US and have them ship it to you. It's worth a shot if you are desperate.
And as for eBay, there is no way to really get one for under $600, especially around Christmas.
The sure way to win an item when you are bidding down to the wire is to open up many browsers of the same page and bid on each page what you are willing to pay and hit send simultaneously. It somehow jams up the other bidders from bidding and you can usually win. It's a little secret I pass on to you fellow cheffers! Good luck. The gift card idea is great too.

Debbie :D

We did the same thing a year ago when the Xbox360 was the hot thing,but decided to wait because, as you know, electronics have their run of Most Wanted for a while, and we were right. 7 months later we walked into Wal*Mart and bought it for 100.00 cheaper then it was originaly. What you COULD do is make a nice giftcard up or go buy a giftVisa and give him that with instructions that is is ONLY for his PS3 when they come available again. ;)

Thanks guys! My Dh and BIL get together and play PS2 a few times a week and I thought it would be perfect to have one for Christmas and they could play all day. The added pressure is that we have DH's whole family coming over Christmas morning and usually open gifts with them. I always have the worst gifts because I never have any money, so I thought it would be awesome to get a really good gift for him. I will keep trying and start looking for something else to give him. I know as soon as I spend the money on something else I'll find plenty of PS3s!!

gilliandanielle said:
Uh, I came straight here! I am so tired and stayed up just to make sure I got it. In the last 5 minutes I was outbid but $230! I know it is just the preggy hormones, but I just want to cry! Those PS3 nerds are so cutthroat! I bid on another one that said that he just wanted to make what he spent because his son wants the Wii instead. I wrote him (the bidding had ended with no bids) and asked if he was going to relist with a lower price (he had it listed $240 more than he paid) and he wrote me back this really nasty letter. I doubt he really has a son!!

Like I said I just want to cry. I have been calling Walmart everyday to see if they have any yet and am so tired of this! If I had ANY others ideas for DH I would scrap this immediatly, but it is pretty much a PS3 or foot rub coupons, LOL!! Thanks for the support ladies...

Ok... my take on the whole PS3 situation is that the scarity of these things is something the company creates to generate need. Call me what you want, but I find it hard to believe with all the press about this thing, the mgf didn't have the wherewithall to be able to make a boat load of these. I heard that most stores, while they took deposits for a bunch, only ended up getting a few.

My suggestion.. stop beating your head upside a wall. Stay away from ebay.. you are probably not going to get one there at anything near a reasonable price. Get out the crayons, markers and color paper and start making foot rub coupons, and.... then wrap up a big box with an IOU... one PS3 by Valentine's day! This will give you time after the holidays to find one.

Besides, it's the thought that counts and you can always wrap up some socks to go with the foot rub! And, he will have something to look forward to. Maybe add a new game to the foot rub bundle??? Or that can go into the box with the IOU???

Now, go find some chocolate.

Gillian, again I am sorry that the PS3 didn't work out for you. I think your best bet would be to wait until they are re-stocked. You can buy DH some PS3 games for under the tree with a gift card for the actual game when it comes available. This will serve 2 purposes...A) the vultures on ebay and elsewhere will be stuck with their PS3 that they are desperately trying to GOUGE nice people such as yourself out of big bucks and B) if you get him the games he will have to spend the GC on the game itself. Please don't let your hormones drive you into doing something irratic. You will see that DH will be quite excited with the idea of knowing that he will be getting his PS3. Then you can take the extra money that you would have given to the scum of the earth people (sorry but I have no respect for these type of people...big difference between capitalism and greed) and buy something for you! :)
Valky

Thanks Valky! You really know how to make me feel better. I did this to myself because I already pictured how great it would be to watch him open it in front of everyone. Now anything else seems dissapointing...

I want to get him something, and frankly I don't think I would be excited about an IOU Christmas present from him. Hopefully I can find something just as cool, but we'll see!

There's this website I use called www.findgift.com

It's kind of this search engine for gift ideas. You input who it's for, the age range, and why you're giving the gift (birthday, get well, Christmas, etc)... Sometimes you can narrow it down by personality. (Like nothing quirky or things like that.)

I use it sometimes when I'm stuck in a rut and can't think of different kinds of gifts to give. Maybe it'll help you! :)

Sorry Gillian! I was outbid like this the other day on my husband a new cell phone.

Here we go, round two! I decide that I would see what I could find with Buy It Now and there are a fewer that are cheaper (yeah..like $650 instead of $800!!) so hopefully I can snag one and actually sleep at night!!

Gillian...please think twice before doing this. Just like PC people selling stuff on ebay...what will you do if the PS3 system doesn't work? It does happen and your return option will not be nearly as good (if at all) as if you buy it yourself at a reputable store. I know that you have your hopes high on seeing DH's face but wouldn't you rather have the safer option? BTW, my DH gave me an IOU for a new front door for our house last Christmas (yes it was what I wanted...the door). I just got it this spring. I was so excited when we put it in ourselves. The problem is, that is why people get away with this...they prey on those that need to have it now. I bet your DH would also rather wait than knowing you shelled out extra $$ for it. You will do what feels good to you but I am just practical (frugal, cheap, unwilling to bow down to greedy people or however you want to phrase it) . Just my opinion.

Like I've said before, my opinion and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee...but not Starbucks. LOL

I bought one already and the guy is really nice. He is including the reciept (from Walmart) so if I have a problem I can return it. I spent $100 more than I would have in the store, with shipping, so it could have been worse. I have confidence and I paid through Paypal so I can get my $$$ back if he doesn't send it. Thanks for your support guys!!

gilliandanielle said:
Thanks Valky! You really know how to make me feel better. I did this to myself because I already pictured how great it would be to watch him open it in front of everyone. Now anything else seems dissapointing...

I want to get him something, and frankly I don't think I would be excited about an IOU Christmas present from him. Hopefully I can find something just as cool, but we'll see!

If my husband presented me with an IOU for a trip to Hawaii, or diamonds, or even a nice sweater I would be happy happy.

Repeat... it's the thought that counts, it's the thought that counts.

Let us help you with some ideas... what does husband like to do?? What does he like (besides gaming)? If I do say so myself, I have been pretty creative over the years, sometimes with $$ and sometimes with next to nothing. Let's brainstorm ladies and gentlemen.

Well It's a done deal then. Congrats and good luck both. I hope it all works out for you and your're right...it could have been much worse money wise. Now go get some sleep for you and little baby. Valky

I am so excited to sleep tonight (besides getting up every few hours to pee, LOL!) and will really breathe a sigh of relief once I have it in my hot little hands.

Related to Bidding on a PS3 on Ebay - Help Me Get the Perfect Christmas Gift for My DH!

1. How do I search for a PS3 on Ebay?

To search for a PS3 on Ebay, simply type "PS3" into the search bar on the Ebay homepage. You can also use filters to narrow down your search results, such as price range and condition.

2. How do I know if the seller is trustworthy?

You can check the seller's feedback score and read reviews from previous buyers to determine their reliability. It's also important to carefully read the item description and ask the seller any questions you may have before placing a bid.

3. How can I increase my chances of winning the bid?

One way to increase your chances of winning the bid is to set a maximum bid that is slightly higher than the current bid. This way, if someone else places a bid, your bid will automatically increase until it reaches your maximum amount. You can also monitor the bidding closely and place your bid in the final seconds of the auction.

4. What should I do if I receive a damaged or defective PS3?

If you receive a damaged or defective PS3, you should contact the seller immediately to discuss a possible return or refund. It's important to carefully read the seller's return policy before placing a bid to understand your options in case of any issues with the item.

5. Is it safe to bid on a PS3 on Ebay?

While Ebay has measures in place to protect buyers and sellers, there is always a risk when making purchases online. It's important to carefully research the seller and item before placing a bid and to use caution when sharing personal and financial information. It's also a good idea to only bid on items from sellers with a good reputation and to read reviews from previous buyers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pc_jessica
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
SLDOWDY1978
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies