• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Get Ready for Christmas 2010: 196 Days Left - Shopping Tips & Reminder

In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation for Christmas, including making lists and starting to think about gift ideas in advance. The topic of a Christmas countdown is mentioned, as well as tips for shopping outside of traditional retail stores. Personal and heartfelt gift ideas are also suggested, such as creating custom posters or photos at a print shop. The conversation ends with the idea that these gifts do not have to be expensive, but should be meaningful and personal.
raebates
Staff member
Today is June 12. There are 196 days until Christmas.

I’m not really starting the countdown yet. I just wanted to remind those of you going to NC that you’ll be in one of the greatest shopping cities in the US. Go over your Christmas list once or twice before you leave. Make note of clothing sizes, hobbies, etc. I’m not suggesting that you do any heavy duty shopping. What I am suggesting is that you prepare your brain so that if you see something that would be perfect for Uncle George you’ll notice it and pick it up.

BTW, this is a good idea before you head out on vacation, too.

Oh my gosh, Rae!! I figured you'd at least wait until you were done with the NC countdown!!:rolleyes::love:

Good suggestion, though.

The official Christmas countdown won't start until September. That's when I start it at my shows.

Today is September 1. There are 115 days until Christmas. I start getting my customers to think about Christmas now. I start every show this way:As we gather and settle down to get started I want you to think about the number [today it would be 115]. What is significant about the number 115?The great thing about that is that it gives me a chance to talk about PCThere are 115 products? No, there are way more than 115 products.PC has been around for 115 years? Nope, but we are celebrating our 30th birthday this year. I'll be sharing tips and hints about getting ready for Christmas. I love Christmas, and getting ready early helps me celebrate the season without a lot of stress.

Great idea.

Yay!!! It's time for Rae's Christmas Countdown!!
Holy cow ~ there are 115 days 'til Christmas....:eek::eek::eek:

Interestingly enough, before I had my daughter, I could have cared less about Christmas. Now though, I think Christmas is her favorite time of year, she begs me to put up the tree earlier and earlier and cries when it comes down...not because it means the end of the "presents", but because she thinks it's so beautiful. It touches me how magical that time of year is for her and in turn, I have come to love Christmas and the entire season. I start thinking aobut it in July now and I have already bought enough for gifts that if I wanted to be done w/ my daughter and my 14 yr old stepson, I could be. I have started looking at ornaments and imagining decorating in a few months and I'm excited.

Thank you for starting this....I will be checking it out regularly!

Woohoo, Rae!! Can you believe it is less than 4 months!

The great thing about Rae's tip of saying a number and asking its sigficance - you can come here before each party, and see the number for the day!

Glad you're excited about my countdown. I've been excited about starting it.

Today is September 2. There are 114 days until Christmas.Do you have a gardener or two on your Christmas list? Most places put their gardening stuff on clearance right after Labor Day. That’s a great time to pick up things with which to fill a gift basket. You’ll find gloves, hand tools, and such at a fraction of their normal cost.

Today is September 3. There are 113 days until Christmas.Think outside the normal retail box. This year we’ve done some of our Christmas shopping at a local print shop. The Furry Guy’s niece is a talented artist. She’s into Manga (Japanese anime art). She’ll be 16 by the time Christmas rolls around, so we figured it was okay for her to be in on her gift this year. We had her choose a piece of artwork, (she decided to do something new), and had it made into a large poster for her room. For my mom & dad we decided on a picture. We haven’t had a family portrait done in a long time. Since Mom & Dad live in Florida and my son lives in Texas, it’s almost impossible to get everyone together to get one done. Print shop to the rescue. I’ve taken snapshots of individual households. I’ll be having an 8 x 10 piece made. Mom & Dad’s photo will be at the top. My family will be on the lower left. My brother’s family will be on the lower right. The background will be dark and marbleized. In the middle, in white, will be a quote from Desmond Tutu—You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. The piece will be printed on canvas. These things don’t have to be expensive, just heartfelt and personal. Of course, it does require a bit of thinking ahead.

Today is September 4. There are 112 days until Christmas. I've talked with several people lately who have a good deal of their Christmas shopping planned or finished. A few have their purchases wrapped. I know it sounds odd, but getting done early really does help me to focus on enjoying the holidays. If nothing else, why not get a gift list started. Just write down everyone you usually buy gifts for. You can group people together that you'll be getting the same thing for--like pastors, team members, your bowling league, etc.

Today is September 5. There are 111 days until Christmas. School supplies will be going on clearance soon. This is a great time to stock up on stocking stuffers--crayons, pencils, pens, erasers, notebooks, etc. These are great for budding artists, poets, and journal-writers.

Today is September 6. There are 110 days until Christmas.Think it's way too early to start getting ready for Christmas? Think back to mid-May. Doesn't seem that long ago. Does it? May 19 was 110 days ago. The time is going to fly by, and there's a lot to do. Thanksgiving is only 80 days away Mid-June, 80 days ago, seems like the day before yesterday.

Rae I am sorry to say this but you need a hobby! You scare me!

You don't think creating countdowns is a legitimate hobby? ;)

Today is September 7. There are 109 days until Christmas.This is just about the time of year that my MIL starts asking for wish lists. The Furry Guy and I will be working on our lists soon. We’ll go looking for things that we’d like to have but wouldn’t necessarily buy for ourselves. We’ll make one list for his family including his wishes, my wishes, and our wishes. We’ll make a separate list for each other. Our lists tend to be very specific because that’s what his family has always done. They’ll include what the item is (along with any details like sizes, colors, etc.), where it can be purchased, and how much it costs.Our lists are actually already started because at the end of the holiday season I go through the lists and remove anything that was received that year. We’ve already looked over the remains of last year’s list and taken off anything we no longer want or need.

Today is September 8. There are 108 days until Christmas.I know you people think I'm crazy; you should meet my mom. I actually received our Christmas gift from my parents yesterday. It's a Garmin. She got a good deal and didn't want it to sit around until Christmas--warranty issues.

That's funny!! I hope you get lots of fun use out of it over the next 108 days! Hmmm, maybe you should punch in Bealeton, VA . . .

If I'm ever headed that way, Sarah, . . . The funny thing is that my mom has tried to talk me into one for the past 3 years. I still don't actually want one, but it was a very thoughtful gift. After all, I do a lot of driving. ;)

Well, I guess you know if it's a good model if it can actually find YOUR house! haha

pampchefsarah said:
Well, I guess you know if it's a good model if it can actually find YOUR house! haha
Um, yeah, well, it can't. My address doesn't exist. It can, however, save the map coordinates in my favorites. :rolleyes: As a matter of fact, in playing with it I noticed that it also couldn't find the address I was headed to yesterday. I won't be sharing that information with Mom.

Today is September 9. There are 107 days until Christmas.Take time now to look over your Christmas card list. Are all of the addresses up to date? If not, you’ve got plenty of time to call or email your friends and family to find the correct address. I think it’s so frustrating to be addressing cards and realize that my cousin has moved and I don’t have her new address (or, worse yet, get the card addressed and then realize it’s not current). A quick check now will help to save lots of frustration.

Or send a card overseas and get it back 6 months later due to a wrong address. But it was mt fault, I totally wrote in the wrong street, don't know what I was thinking...

I love this thread. We are going to really try to stick with the budget this year and figured the best way would probably be to have a gift card Christmas and just get everyone gift cards. I know they usually go over best but sometimes I think it is boring to just given gift cards.

Got any creative ways to give gift cards?

jbarnhill said:
I love this thread. We are going to really try to stick with the budget this year and figured the best way would probably be to have a gift card Christmas and just get everyone gift cards. I know they usually go over best but sometimes I think it is boring to just given gift cards.

Got any creative ways to give gift cards?

Pair them with their favorite candy? That way it's not too much more expense but it can individualize it a bit. Especially for teens - they all love candy!

Today is September 10. There are 106 days until Christmas.Since we're talking about gift cards, let me make a few suggestions.First, don't buy them way in advance. Many gift cards have expiration dates or dates at which fees kick in. Buying them early makes the useful time shorter. Second, make sure that they're for someplace that the recipient actually likes to shop or dine. The dining ones are especially important. I've received gift cards for places where I don't like anything they serve. I wind up giving those away to people who say they love to eat there. Third, try to be creative with the giving. Gina's idea of candy is a good one if you know what kind of candy they enjoy.Finally, consider cash instead. It has no expiration date. It can be used anywhere. And, there are lots of creative things you can do in the giving. If you check online you can find ways to fold bills or present them in fun ways.

We usually give "VISA" gift cards for our nieces (who are teens)....so they can shop wherever they want. Cash is good too. ;)Only negative for VISA cards is you have to pay the dumb activation fees usually! No fees on the gift card holder or expirations I've ever seen, but a fee to me when I purchase it (I think $4-5!).As far as cards you don't want (or even a way to save money on gift cards to buy)- has anyone used a site like cardpool.com They buy/sell gift cards - you can sell them a card you don't want or can't use, and you can buy cards at a discount.

Today is September 11. There are 105 days until Christmas.As you’re getting ready to sign and address your Christmas cards, think about how you’ll sign. When our son was home, I usually signed the cards “The Bates Family – Chris, Rae, & Shawn.” Now that it’s just The Furry Guy and me, it depends on who the card is sent to. Most of us refer to a couple using the name of the person we know best first. For instance, when you think of us you probably think, “Rae & The Furry Guy.” My family knows us as “Rae & Chris.” His family knows us as “Chris & Rae.” I sign things the way the recipient knows us. By the way, according to the rules of etiquette the man’s first name should never be separated from his last name. That would make us formally Rae & Chris Bates. However, since most of us are much less formal with those to whom we send Christmas cards, I don’t think it’s necessary to stick hard and fast to this rule.

Today is September 12. There 104 days until Christmas.We do our best to keep a fairly tight rein on our budget. Christmas can really blow that. However, by setting a gift budget, shopping throughout the year, and making a few things, we're able to stick to celebrate without breaking the bank. The bad thing about last-minute shopping is that it's much easier to justify going over your budget because you need to get something for Aunt Sally, and she's just so hard to buy for.

Today is September 13. There are 103 days until Christmas.

Save money by putting together inexpensive gifts like the ones I give to our fellow volunteers in our children’s ministry. I use ribbon to tie together a package of microwave popcorn with two packets of hot cocoa mix and top it with card that says:

Merry Christmas!
This world can be a cold and difficult place, yet you warm the hearts of children with God’s love and compassion—just as cocoa takes the chill away on a cold day. You show children the richness of God’s Word, and it tastes sweet and good to their souls.

The fragrance of Christ you carry with you is as enticing and unmistakable as freshly popped popcorn. And like these tiny corn kernels, you plant seeds of truth—seeds that’ll one day explode into righteous living and overflow with the glory of God. Thanks for all you do to touch kids’ lives.​

Gifts like this cost pennies apiece (especially when I buy the supplies in large quantities at Sam’s Club) but let people know how much they mean to us.

Today is September 14. There are 102 days until Christmas.What kind of Christmas do you want? Are you looking for cozy family time? Are you hoping for a spiritually-connected season? Are you looking forward to busy excitement? Now is the time to decide so you can plan for what you want. Sit down with your family and talk about what they consider important. You might be surprised to find out what they consider the most important, most meaningful part of Christmas.

Today is September 15. There are 101 days until Christmas.Think carefully about the craft projects/gifts you have planned. Do you realistically have time to complete them? You don’t want to be up late every night for the last week or two before Christmas finishing them. Worse yet, you don’t want to have to run out and buy a last-minute, desperation gift because you couldn’t finish it.

Today is September 16. There are 100 days until Christmas.The weather’s cooling here. I’ve dug out my warm clothes. As I’ve switched my wardrobe, I’ve been taking inventory. I’m making sure I have appropriate outfits for upcoming holiday events. Think about what you’ll be doing during the holidays. Do you have a company party to attend that requires eveningwear? Do your kids have the matching outfits you like to use for your holiday photos? Make sure that you have clothes for all of the things you’ll be doing, and make sure they’re all in good repair. Is anything stained beyond repair? Does everything fit, or does it need to be altered or replaced? Do you have all of the accessories (jewelry, shoes, handbags, etc.) to complete the outfits? Right now cool-weather clothes are starting to hit the sale rack. Plus, you have plenty of time to take your time making choices. You’ll be less likely to overspend or settle if you start now.

raebates said:
The weather’s cooling here. I’ve dug out my warm clothes. As I’ve switched my wardrobe, I’ve been taking inventory.

Oh so jealous!
I'm waiting for the weather to go below 90 in the afternoon.
I think that within the next two weeks I'll be able to open the windows in the morning for a couple hours. That will be wonderful.

Today is September 17. There are 99 days until Christmas.I'm not sure why, but once the countdown gets below 100 it seems like it's really close. Let people think you're wacky for thinking about Christmas. They'll be in awe of you when you're able to relax and enjoy the holidays.

Today is September 19. There are 97 days until Christmas.Christmas wish lists are great. They are especially helpful for those with whom you don't have regular contact (like, in our case, The Furry Guy's nieces). However, they're no substitute for listening. If your BIL continually talks about his favorite NASCAR driver, keep that in mind. If your aunt mentioned a favorite designer, make a mental (and then an actual) note. Don't count on remembering. Write it down.Also, be sure to keep a list of clothing sizes, color preferences, hobbies, and interests for each person in your immediate family. This way you'll be able to customize gifts to each recipient. You'll also be able to take advantage of sales.

Today is September 20. There are 96 days until Christmas. Yesterday I was at a family gathering. In the course of the conversation I mentioned how many days there were until Christmas. My cousin scolded me for telling her that. I turned to her and said, "Sheilia, Christmas will be here in 97 days whether I tell you that or not."You can bury your head in the sand if you wish, but Christmas will arrive on December 25 whether you're ready or not. By doing a little bit each day or each week you can be ready.

Rae, how were the baby showers?

They were wonderful. I love babies. The one at church was small, but I had a chance to see people I hadn't seen in a while. The mommy's dad was our pastor years ago so I enjoyed seeing her mom. Her MIL's husband used to pastor a nearby church. I hadn't seen her in a while either. The Sunday shower was for my second cousin. It was huge. I love seeing family.

Today is September 21. There are 95 days until Christmas.

Some of the Christmas magazines are on newsstands now. Check them out. When you find something you like, tear out the page and file it by type (recipe, crafts, gift ideas, etc.) or scan it into your computer. That way you can toss the rest of the magazine into the recycling bin instead of creating your own towering stack of magazines. Plus, it will be a lot easier to locate that great idea when you want it if you don’t have to read through 183 magazines.

Today is September 22. There are 94 days until Christmas.Start working on your holiday menus now. If you’re thinking of trying something new, make it at least once before the holidays start to ramp up. That will give you a chance to tweak the recipe to suit your family.

Today is September 23. There are 93 days until Christmas.Is your list complete? Do you know everyone you want to give gifts to this year? Don’t forget your tips/gifts to service people. When you have a complete list it’s much easier to keep from breaking your budget. Do you usually give an extra tip to your hairdresser? Your garbage collectors? Those extras can really take a bite out of your budget if you haven’t figured them in.

Today is September 24. There are 92 days until Christmas. Yesterday I picked up the gift we had made for my parents. The shopping for people who are outside my little family is getting close to done. The vast majority is figured out--one of the biggest tasks.Now that you have your list, do a little brainstorming. You don't have to buy a thing yet. That brainstorming can help you to get intentional about your Christmas shopping. When you think about a particular person and their likes and dislikes, it puts that person in the front of your consciousness. You're much more likely to notice something that person might like. Before you head out shopping take a good look at your list. Do this every time you go shopping, whether you're planning to Christmas shop or not. You never know what you might see.

Today is September 25. There are 91 days until Christmas.Three months. That's right. Christmas will arrive exactly 3 months from today. Three months. That's not a lot of time. It's plenty of time, though, if you start now and have a plan. You can have a great Christmas without overspending, without breaking the bank, without driving yourself crazy. It's possible, but it's not going to happen by accident. If you've already started, great. If not, there's still time. Just remember that the next month will go by at least as quickly as the last one did.

Today is September 26. There are 90 days until Christmas. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Take a close look at your calendar now. Block out some personal time. Think about what you really want to do. If you’d love to take one day just to bake cookies and make a gingerbread house, put that on your calendar now. If you’d like to take one day to watch a marathon of Christmas movies put it on the calendar now. If you’re trying to squeeze it in once the holiday season is in full swing you’re not likely to find the time. You need to make the time now. Many people want a simpler Christmas. This is the way to get it. Block out some down time now.

raebates said:
Today is September 26. There are 90 days until Christmas.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Take a close look at your calendar now. Block out some personal time. Think about what you really want to do. If you’d love to take one day just to bake cookies and make a gingerbread house, put that on your calendar now. If you’d like to take one day to watch a marathon of Christmas movies put it on the calendar now. If you’re trying to squeeze it in once the holiday season is in full swing you’re not likely to find the time. You need to make the time now.

Many people want a simpler Christmas. This is the way to get it. Block out some down time now.

Very wise words, for sure. I'm one who never does this, but I am going to try doing it this year. Christmas is always so hectic with family, friends, PC, and all my community volunteer involvement, I usually feel very overwhelmed.

Today is September 27. There are 89 days until Christmas. How much will Christmas cost this year? The Furry Guy nearly has a coronary when he hears them do a news story about the average spent by Americans on Christmas. Let's just say that we're waaaaay below average. By setting a budget and sticking to it, we're able to have a wonderful Christmas without feeling the pain throughout January, February, and March. When you're figuring out that budget don't forget postage, food, charitable donations, tape, and other incidentals. Those things can really add up.

<h2>1. How many days are left until Christmas?</h2><p>There are 196 days left until Christmas.</p><h2>2. What date is it currently?</h2><p>Today is June 12th.</p><h2>3. What should I do to prepare for Christmas while traveling to a shopping city?</h2><p>Go over your Christmas list a few times before you leave and make note of clothing sizes, hobbies, and other interests. This will help you be more aware of potential gifts while you're shopping.</p><h2>4. Should I do any heavy duty shopping while on vacation?</h2><p>No, the suggestion is just to prepare your brain so that you can pick up any perfect gifts you may come across while on vacation.</p><h2>5. Is this a good idea before any vacation?</h2><p>Yes, it's always a good idea to plan ahead and make note of potential gift ideas for loved ones while on vacation.</p>

1. How many days are left until Christmas?

There are 196 days left until Christmas.

2. What date is it currently?

Today is June 12th.

3. What should I do to prepare for Christmas while traveling to a shopping city?

Go over your Christmas list a few times before you leave and make note of clothing sizes, hobbies, and other interests. This will help you be more aware of potential gifts while you're shopping.

4. Should I do any heavy duty shopping while on vacation?

No, the suggestion is just to prepare your brain so that you can pick up any perfect gifts you may come across while on vacation.

5. Is this a good idea before any vacation?

Yes, it's always a good idea to plan ahead and make note of potential gift ideas for loved ones while on vacation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
rennea
  • naekelsey
  • Pampered Chef Sales