• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Get Ready for Christmas 2010: 196 Days Left - Shopping Tips & Reminder

In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation for Christmas, including making lists and starting to think about gift ideas in advance. The topic of a Christmas countdown is mentioned, as well as tips for shopping outside of traditional retail stores. Personal and heartfelt gift ideas are also suggested, such as creating custom posters or photos at a print shop. The conversation ends with the idea that these gifts do not have to be expensive, but should be meaningful and personal.
Today is September 29. There are 87 days until Christmas.What do you want for Christmas? Do not, I repeat, do not expect your husband, your children, or your parents to know what will make your heart happy. My husband's family makes wish lists. Our little family does wish lists. If your family doesn't make wish lists, you'll need to be more verbal. "That would make a good Christmas gift for me" is the most direct route. Some people pick up better on subtle hints than others. The thing is, it's difficult to drop hints or make a wish list if you don't know what you'd like Take a little time to explore what's out there. Glance through some catalogs. Wander through some stores. Think about what you'd like for Christmas.

Today is September 30. There are 86 days until Christmas.Can't figure out what to get a young tween or teen? Cash always works. I know some adults dislike giving and/or receiving cash, but i've yet to meet a kid who doesn't appreciate it. BTW, I'm taking an internet break for the next few days. I'll be back online Monday.

Today is October 4. There are 82 days until Christmas.How are you planning to do your wrapping? Some people choose to wrap as they purchase. Others, like me, like to take a day to do the bulk of the wrapping. Whichever way you choose, be sure to get all of your supplies together in one place. You can set up a corner as your wrapping station. You can put together a tote of some kind with all of your supplies so you can take it to whatever area is most convenient. Check now to make sure you have plenty of tape, wrapping paper, ribbon, bows, or whatever you use to make your packages pretty.

Today is October 5. There are 81 days until Christmas.Once you start wrapping gifts, be very careful. Don’t mix up those tags. I once read about a holiday disaster in which a woman mixed up her tags. The pretty, lacy bra that was supposed to go to her recently engaged friend went, instead, to her 90-year-old grandmother. Grandma was so excited about the unusual gift that the woman didn’t have the heart to ask for it back. Don’t let this happen to you. Be very careful.

Today is October 6. There are 80 days until Christmas.Clean out your freezer. You’ll save money by planning your menu around what you already have. Plus, you’ll make room for those things you can buy on sale this time of year.

today is October 7. There are 79 days until Christmas.You’ve blocked out some personal time. Now I want you to practice with me. Say out loud, “I’m sorry, I already have plans that day.” Repeat several times daily. This is what you’ll say whenever someone wants you to do something on the days you’ve blocked out for personal time. Seriously, I don’t know why we are so reluctant to consider our personal time equally as important as, say, a doctor appointment. There is no need to explain. They don’t need to know that your plans include staying in your jammies all day drinking hot cocoa and watching old Christmas movies. That’s none of their business. Nothing less than a family emergency should derail your plans for a personal day.

Today is October 8. There are 78 days until Christmas. Start to pay really close attention to those grocery flyers so you can stock your pantry now with non-perishable foods for your holiday feasts. Canned goods and most frozen foods will keep for several weeks, so pay close attention to sales and buy extras. This will help ease your budget, making room for those perishable items you’ll need to purchase at the last minute.

Today is October 9. There are 77 days until Christmas.Have some fun! It can be easy to get so caught up in got-to-get-it-done mode that we completely lose the fun of the holidays. If you celebrate Halloween, do it up fun. Really throw yourself into the celebration, no matter how big or small that celebration.* You should be laughing daily (barring intense life issues, of course). Take some time to remember holidays of the past--those that went well and those that went horribly wrong. Take the time to have fun in the next 77 days.*We moved to our little house in the country 17 years ago, when our son was in first grade. The first couple of years Halloween and trick or treating took place on Saturday, so The Furry Guy was able to take him into town. The third year it was during the week. Since The Furry Guy works second shift he wasn't able to take Shawn. Weather-people were predicting a cold and wet evening, so I wasn't looking forward to the whole trick or treat thing. I suggested something different. I told him I'd buy him a bag of whatever candy he wanted, and we'd have a Mom & Shawn party. This meant eating pizza, chips, and dip on the family room floor while we watched movies and played board games. It became a Halloween tradition in our home.

Today is October 10. There are 76 days until Christmas.Having trouble getting into the holiday mood? Watch a Christmas movie. Yesterday I watched Die Hard and Die Hard 2 Die Harder. I'm thinking about Lethal Weapon today. No, they aren't traditional Christmas movies, but they have quite a bit of Christmas music in them. It's our way of easing into the Christmas movies.

Today is October 11. There are 75 days until Christmas. Don’t get derailed on your healthy habits during the holidays. If you’re headed out to a party, eat a light, healthy snack before you go. It will be harder to stick to just one cookie if you’re famished. Make sure to schedule time to exercise. Those extra indulgences won’t do as much damage if you’re continuing to exercise and keep your metabolism revved.Make your choices wisely. If you wait all year for Aunt Sue’s famous triple-layer death by chocolate cake, go ahead and have a small slice. Just don’t eat ¼ of the cake or have helpings of every single dessert. If it’s the rich, creamy twice-baked loaded potatoes that call your name, have a little. Just don’t combine that with three dinner rolls and seconds of every starchy side dish. Oh, and since we're getting close to Halloween, remember this. One Hershey Pumpkin Spice Kiss has about 24 calories. A whole bag has about 1,470 calories.

raebates said:
One Hershey Pumpkin Spice Kiss has about 24 calories. A whole bag has about 1,470 calories.

LOL!! Thanks for the reminder!! :)

Today is October 12. There are 74 days until Christmas.Considering giving a gift that will be really funny? STOP! Think for just a moment. Will the recipient find it funny? If not, don't do it. A gift should be warm and thoughtful. If the recipient will find it funny, go ahead. If not, beware. Years ago a squirrel ran up my mom's leg while the whole family was visiting a park in Florida. Startled, she fell and rolled a ways down the hill. She wasn't hurt. We all found it funny. However, all these years later she still doesn't. We are always finding things that are squirrel-related that we think would be hysterical to give Mom. Mom, on the other hand, would not find it funny. So, we've never given a squirrel-related card or gift to my mom. It wouldn't e a welcome and thoughtful gift. As a matter of fact, she'd probably not talk to us for several months.

Today is October 13. There are 73 days until Christmas.Are you a good recipient? In The Autobiography of Santa Claus one of the characters says that it's not the value of the gift but knowing someone cared enough to give. That's so true. Now, I know that sometimes the thought seems to be, "Oh, crap! I need to get something for _________ because [she's/he's] coming over in about 10 minutes." However, no matter how little thought you think went into the gift, your response should be, "Thank you," said with a smile.

Today is October 13. There are 73 days until Christmas.

Are you a good recipient? In The Autobiography of Santa Claus one of the characters says that it's not the value of the gift but knowing someone cared enough to give. That's so true. Now, I know that sometimes the thought seems to be, "Oh, crap! I need to get something for _________ because [she's/he's] coming over in about 10 minutes." However, no matter how little thought you think went into the gift, your response should be, "Thank you," said with a smile.

Today is October 14. There are 72 days until Christmas.A little bit of extra time right now will help you down the road. When you make something for dinner that freezes well, make double or triple. That way when you’re in the midst of holiday chaos you’ll have something easy and nutritious just waiting in your freezer. You’ll be a lot less likely to do takeout if there’s something already prepared at home.

Rae, some of these tips are so good. Occasionally I want to share them with my friends and family, but I want your okay first. I would post something on my FB wall like:

Today is October 14. There are 72 days until Christmas.

A tip from my friend Rae:A little bit of extra time right now will help you down the road. When you make something for dinner that freezes well, make double or triple. That way when you’re in the midst of holiday chaos you’ll have something easy and nutritious just waiting in your freezer. You’ll be a lot less likely to do takeout if there’s something already prepared at home.​

Would that be okay with you on an occasional basis? would you prefer I said from my friend Rae Bates?
(I really understand and will respect your wishes if you prefer I not do it at all.)
thanks for sharing these

Marghi, please feel free to share anything I've shared.

Today is October 15. There are 71 days until Christmas.Are you ready for holiday guests? Take a critical look at your guest room (or the corner of the basement you use as a guest room). Is everything clean, fluffed, and ready for guests? Do you have plenty of decent towels? We have a small basket with things like toothbrushes and sample-size toothpaste, deodorant, and such that we leave out for guests. By doing this now, you’ll have plenty of time to pick things up little by little so you don’t overwhelm your budget.

Today is October 16. There are 70 days until Christmas.Don't you just love finding the perfect gift for someone? My niece loves dress-up and stickers. A friend recently introduced me to Fancy Nancy books. Fancy Nancy loves to dress fancy and talk fancy. The books are very cute and even educational. I discovered a Fancy Nancy Super Stickertivity Book. That along with a couple of Fancy Nancy books will be perfect. By shopping now you'll be able to find just the right gifts for the people you love.

Today is October 17. There are 69 days until Christmas.Are you going to offer any special services for your Christmas customers? If so, now's the time to get the word out. I have a wish list in every guest pack now, so I can help my customers get what they want for Christmas. I’ll be offering free gift wrap for every wish list order over $50.

Today is October 18. There are 68 days until Christmas.Is your tree decorated with ornaments filled with meaning? Do you have a record of those? A couple of years ago, as I was putting away the ornaments, I wrote down when, where, why, and from whom we got each ornament. This way we’ll always know why we have the weird squirrel ornament and the many pig ornaments on our tree.

Today is October 19. There are 67 days until Christmas.Buy your Christmas stamps soon. They will be available for purchase October 23. There are several advantages to buying them now.You’ll have them when you address your cards, which you will do early. Right?You won’t have to wait in lines during the holiday season.You can be sure they won’t be out of the ones you want. You can start using them at the beginning of the season so you won’t still be using them in February. This year the secular one, Holiday Evergreens, will be a forever stamp. Since it’s not strictly Christmassy, using them up won’t be quite as critical.

Last edited:
Today is October 21. There are 65 days until Christmas.Check the bathroom. Do you have plenty of toilet paper? Are there clean, accessible hand towels? When you know that people are coming, be sure to check. It’s one thing if your family has to do that duck-walk across the bathroom. It’s another if it’s the new neighbor you’re just getting to know.

Today is October 22. There are 64 days until Christmas.If you’ve got someone on your list who’s difficult to buy for, try thinking outside the box. My brother and I could not be more different if we were raised on separate continents. In addition to the fact that we have very different taste and interests, he and his wife live a much more affluent lifestyle than we do. (In other words, they have lots more money.) It’s always a struggle to figure out something for them. A couple of years ago I gave my brother a memory. When we were kids we’d watch the Christmas specials together. We’d have popcorn, Hershey bars, and Pepsi in Slush Mugs* while we watched all of those 1960s TV specials. Those specials are on DVD now, so I bought a few of our favorites. I found a set of 4 Slush Mugs and packaged those together with the DVDs, some popcorn, and some bottles of Pepsi. I included a note saying that I hoped he would be able to build some of the same kinds of fond memories we had with his own family. *Slush Mugs have an internal sleeve (kind of like the Chillzanne products) that you freeze. You pop that sleeve into the mug, then add your drink. Soon slushy ice begins to form on the sides. I always scraped mine down so it got all slushy quickly. My brother let his sit until it was almost solid. If you search online you should be able to find them if they interest you.

raebates said:
Today is October 21. There are 65 days until Christmas.

Check the bathroom. Do you have plenty of toilet paper? Are there clean, accessible hand towels? When you know that people are coming, be sure to check. It’s one thing if your family has to do that duck-walk across the bathroom. It’s another if it’s the new neighbor you’re just getting to know.

Rae, you are hilarious!!!!

raebates said:
Today is October 22. There are 64 days until Christmas.

If you’ve got someone on your list who’s difficult to buy for, try thinking outside the box.

My brother and I could not be more different if we were raised on separate continents. In addition to the fact that we have very different taste and interests, he and his wife live a much more affluent lifestyle than we do. (In other words, they have lots more money.) It’s always a struggle to figure out something for them. A couple of years ago I gave my brother a memory. When we were kids we’d watch the Christmas specials together. We’d have popcorn, Hershey bars, and Pepsi in Slush Mugs* while we watched all of those 1960s TV specials. Those specials are on DVD now, so I bought a few of our favorites. I found a set of 4 Slush Mugs and packaged those together with the DVDs, some popcorn, and some bottles of Pepsi. I included a note saying that I hoped he would be able to build some of the same kinds of fond memories we had with his own family.

*Slush Mugs have an internal sleeve (kind of like the Chillzanne products) that you freeze. You pop that sleeve into the mug, then add your drink. Soon slushy ice begins to form on the sides. I always scraped mine down so it got all slushy quickly. My brother let his sit until it was almost solid. If you search online you should be able to find them if they interest you.

RAE, that is a beautiful gift!!! I remember waking up one Christmas morning to those slushy cups under the tree from Santa! We loved them!!! So that is a special memory for me too. I'll have to ask my brother if he remembers that...thanks for the memory!

debbie mc said:
Rae, you are hilarious!!!!

I was that neighbor once. Trust me, it's funnier all these years later. :p

RAE, that is a beautiful gift!!! I remember waking up one Christmas morning to those slushy cups under the tree from Santa! We loved them!!! So that is a special memory for me too. I'll have to ask my brother if he remembers that...thanks for the memory!

Glad I could bring up a warm memory. Those things still take me right back to my own childhood.

Today is October 24. There are 62 days until Christmas.I did some Christmas shopping yesterday. I was able to pick up some great small things for next to nothing. Hobby Lobby has 50% off a lot of their Christmas stuff right now. Plus, I had a chance to scout out ideas so I'll have time to make my plan of attack for Black Friday.Take a day soon do do some shopping/scouting. It's a lot less crowded than it will be in a few weeks.

Today is October 25. There are only 61 days until Christmas.Two months, people! Get ready to wrap. Gather your supplies together. Don’t forget the scissors. Take inventory. Make a list of what you’ll need to purchase. Purchase at least twice as much tape as you think you’ll need. It won’t go bad, and you know you always underestimate how much you’ll need. Don’t be the person who has to tear that last ½″ of tape into 8 tiny pieces. If you need to mail out packages, this is a good time to take inventory of those supplies, too. One of the many blessings of having a PC business is that it’s usually pretty easy to find boxes. 

Today is October 26. There are only 60 days until Christmas. Is your master gift list ready? This is one of the best ideas I’ve ever come across. I found it years ago, and it really helped to simplify my shopping. I keep my list on the computer, transferring information to my purse organizer (aka My Other Brain) for shopping. This way I can easily update it from year to year. Start with the obvious ones (spouse, kids, parents, siblings), then add people as they come to mind. Include everyone. We do goodie boxes for neighbors, newspaper carriers, and postal carriers. That group is on the list. This also helps me to stick to my Christmas budget, since I have someplace to figure out how much I can spend on each person/group.

Rae, I love the Oct. 14th hint. Pat and I get really busy what with friends and family parties to work around. I love the idea of doing extra cooking now and popping things in the freezer for later. Especial things like pasta sauces, chili and stew that can be frozen for up to 3 months and would accommodate even last minute guests for dinner one night during the holidays. It works well to if you get snowed in too! Thanks for that idea!

Thanks Rae for doing this. I think I've been in denial for a while and now it's hitting me how much I need to get going on this stuff. ;)

My pleasure, John. I live in the middle of nowhere, so cooking things up in big batches so they're available if I need them is a necessity. In the winter I also make sure that I have at least one backup of flour, egg substitute, and milk in the freezer as well as a box of powdered milk so that if we get snowed in for a week or so I can make the basics. It's difficult to make much of anything without eggs, flour, and milk. The powdered milk is great for cooking even if you don't like the taste for drinking. Amanda, I'm glad to do it. It helps me to stay on track. By reminding others to do something I feel a need to set a good example by doing it myself. ;)

Today is October 27. There are only 59 days until Christmas.Books are a great gift for children. If you’ve got children on your list, check out the local bookstore and see what’s available for their age group.If you’ve got really young kids on your list, I have a suggestion. A friend of mine, Susan Snyder, wrote a book What Will I Be When I Grow Up? How God Made Me Somebody Special. It’s available through any bookstore (brick & mortar or online). For more information about the book you can go to http://www.susan-snyder.com. Feel free to tell her you heard about it from me. No, I don’t get anything. She just likes to know how word’s getting out.

:D Rae, I look forward to reading these everyday! Thanks for keeping us on track!! I use the # of days in all my shows, like I say what does the number 59 mean to all of us? The one that correctly guesses it gets a small prize!

That's how I started doing a countdown, Sherri. I'm glad you're enjoying my little exercise in keeping myself on track. :)

Today is October 28. There are only 58 days left until Christmas.Do you have any empty terra cotta pots lying around? They make great centerpieces or decorations. Just put a tall, fat candle inside, then fill around it with greenery. Of course, you always want to make sure that the flame of a candle can never, ever, ever come in contact with anything flammable. Be very careful about what you surround a candle with. And, of course, never leave burning candles unattended.

Today is October 29. There are only 57 days left until Christmas.How’s your video library? Now is a good time to start watching for that old favorite that usually sells out before you get a copy. You probably know that some of those childhood classics like Charlie Brown and Frosty are now on DVD. Keep your eyes open for your favorites.

Speaking of videos, have you ever noticed that some of the voices in the Peanuts TV specials were very halting? All of the kids were voiced by kids, some too young to read. Those youngest children were fed lines a few words at a time.

Today is October 30. There are only 56 days until Christmas.Think about scheduling a pajama day. Take one day during the holidays to stay in your jammies all day and watch Christmas movies and specials. It’s a relaxing day for you, and your kids will love it.

Today is October 31. There are only 55 days until Christmas.If you aren’t already almost done with your shopping, set dates now for dedicated shopping trips. You might even consider making the first one a reconnaissance mission. Before the crowds start making it difficult to really see what’s out there, stroll through malls and boutiques looking for inspiration. If you see that perfect gift for your niece, you can pick it up, but don’t feel like you have to buy anything. Just get ideas. This way you can be focused on what you want to purchase on your other shopping trips.

I have almost all my shopping done on P3! :)

Good for you, magentablue!

Today is November 1. There are only 54 days until Christmas!Twenty billion—that’s the approximate number of pieces of mail the US Postal Service handled in 2008 between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Get your packages and cards mailed early. If, like me, you have a long card list, start addressing cards now. I sit down in the evening with 10-15 cards. I address the envelope, add our return address, place the stamp, sign the card, insert it into the envelope, and then make the decision. If it’s someone who gets a card alone, I seal the envelope and place it in that stack. If it’s someone who will be expecting a Christmas newsletter it goes, unsealed, in another stack. A day or two before Thanksgiving I’ll print off our newsletters, add them to the cards, and seal the envelopes. This way the cards are ready to mail out that first week of December.

Today is November 2. There are only 53 days until Christmas!If you have small children, it’s possible that they went trick or treating. If they came home with waaaaaaaay too much candy, there’s a way you can use it to your advantage. Hard candies, Smarties and Necco Wafers can be set aside to use on a gingerbread house. Kids are much less likely to object to putting candy away for now if they know they’ll get to have even more fun (and still eat it) later. BTW, this is the best time to get candy for stockings. Big bags of fun-sized candies are on sale. The outside might say Halloween, but the candies inside are just the regular candies. Buy them now, and leave them sealed (keeps the candy fresher and reduces the temptation to indulge). You'll be able to have overflowing stockings for a fraction of the cost.

Today is November 3. There are only 52 days until Christmas!

If you can’t, don’t. You’ll be asked to do lots of things during the holiday season. When that request comes to head up the holiday bazaar, think realistically about your schedule. Can you do it? If not, remember these responses:
No. No is a complete sentence. You are not required to make an excuse or justify your answer.

No, I’m already committed. Have you already agreed to head up your church bazaar? Direct the children’s program? No one said you have to do everything. You don't have to be committed to something that day for this to be honest. It's true if something else is taking your focus during that time.

No, but I’ll . . . If you’re willing to take charge of the spring carnival or chaperone the next four field trips, let them know.

Let me think about it. This is actually my standard answer. I realized years ago that I usually became overscheduled because I didn’t take the time to really look at my schedule and see if I had the time to do what I was asked. Now I routinely ask for a day or two to make a decision. If they need a decision right that minute, I have to say no.​

I learned a number of years ago that one of the guilt-trips that worked well on me was to say that if I didn't do it they might have to cancel. It took a long time for me to realize that if it was supposed to get done but I couldn't do it, God was tapping on someone else's shoulder. It wasn't my fault if it didn't happen. Plus, if I did it when I wasn't meant to do it, I was cheating the person who was supposed to do it out of the opportunity to serve where they were supposed to serve.

Thank you Rae, I always need reminders about this subject. For some reason it is really hard for my lips to form the word NO! But I agree with; one of the guilt-trips that worked well on me was to say that if I didn't do it they might have to cancel. If it was supposed to get done but I couldn't do it, God was tapping on someone else's shoulder. It wasn't my fault if it didn't happen. Plus, if I did it when I wasn't meant to do it, I was cheating the person who was supposed to do it out of the opportunity to serve where they were supposed to serve.

Stephanie, that took me a lot of years to learn and even longer to really embrace. Still, it's made my life much easier. Inappropriate guilt is very draining.

Today is November 4. There are only 51 days until Christmas.How’s your music? Do you love classical Christmas music or are the classics (like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) your passion? Check over what you’ve got. Make sure they’re in good shape. Make note of any replacements you need. This way you can be on the lookout for good deals. Reminder: Thanksgiving is 3 weeks from today. Three weeks! If you're thinking of trying something new, now's a great time to practice those recipes.

<h2>1. How many days are left until Christmas?</h2><p>There are 196 days left until Christmas.</p><h2>2. What date is it currently?</h2><p>Today is June 12th.</p><h2>3. What should I do to prepare for Christmas while traveling to a shopping city?</h2><p>Go over your Christmas list a few times before you leave and make note of clothing sizes, hobbies, and other interests. This will help you be more aware of potential gifts while you're shopping.</p><h2>4. Should I do any heavy duty shopping while on vacation?</h2><p>No, the suggestion is just to prepare your brain so that you can pick up any perfect gifts you may come across while on vacation.</p><h2>5. Is this a good idea before any vacation?</h2><p>Yes, it's always a good idea to plan ahead and make note of potential gift ideas for loved ones while on vacation.</p>

1. How many days are left until Christmas?

There are 196 days left until Christmas.

2. What date is it currently?

Today is June 12th.

3. What should I do to prepare for Christmas while traveling to a shopping city?

Go over your Christmas list a few times before you leave and make note of clothing sizes, hobbies, and other interests. This will help you be more aware of potential gifts while you're shopping.

4. Should I do any heavy duty shopping while on vacation?

No, the suggestion is just to prepare your brain so that you can pick up any perfect gifts you may come across while on vacation.

5. Is this a good idea before any vacation?

Yes, it's always a good idea to plan ahead and make note of potential gift ideas for loved ones while on vacation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
rennea
  • naekelsey
  • Pampered Chef Sales