• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Auggestions on Making Your Website "Special"

In summary, people who have a more personal touch to their website tend to have better customer retention rates. People who change their recipes, product spotlight, kitchen and food tips every month, and send out a personalized newsletter, are also seen as more personal.
Bexamo
Suggestions on making your website "special"I am a new consultant in sunny Anchorage, AK. I am tinkering with my website and I thought I'd ask for some expert advice! I want my customers to know that I care about their business. I want my website to reflect a hint of my personality, but there are so many templates. (Mind you - the clueless part of me is so happy to have those standardized bits and pieces to choose from!:D )

Does anyone have any tips to share on how they added a few personal touches to their site? Has anyone ever heard feedback from customers about changable things they did or didn't like??

Thanks soooo much for any ideas or suggestions you all can share!!!

Last edited:
websitewhen i first got my website - i looked at many other consultant's sites to see what worked and what didn't in my opinion. for me - the ones that stood out were the ones that were not just the template. the templates are a great starting point - but i was always struck by websites that had a more personal touch - recipes - product and kitchen tips - personal stories. i know not everyone has the time to devote to a website - but if you do - i strongly suggest doing something out of the ordinary. i also think it looks terrible when you have november's specials - and it's june!! the lack of updating makes me think the person is not up on things - and that might affect someone's coming back to the website. i change my recipes, product spotlight, kitchen and food tips every month. and i send out a personalized newsletter each month too that references the website often. i use 123 by request as a base - but then i change it to be my own. i hope this helps - i find websites like williams sonoma, stonewall kitchen and martha stewart are great resources for food tips!! oh and i also like to sometimes do fun things like look up what bizarre food holidays are coming up - like may is national herb month.

jcwarr said:
oh and i also like to sometimes do fun things like look up what bizarre food holidays are coming up - like may is national herb month.

And our mid-season herb keeper becomes avaiilable then right? What a great tie-in and what good timing.

I'm waiting for my PC debit card # before setting up my website. I've looked at a lot of consultant's sites and they all look the same, except for maybe the color. I'd love to see some that are different to get some ideas.

julesh said:
I'm waiting for my PC debit card # before setting up my website. I've looked at a lot of consultant's sites and they all look the same, except for maybe the color. I'd love to see some that are different to get some ideas.
The basic set up of the websites are all the same...so they will all "look" the same. You usually have a choice of two colors to pick from for your main background color. You can individualize it by having different "news" sections and such. That is where your personality can come out. PC also gives you tons of pre-written suggestions for the news sections. You can use them, alter them, or use your own!

Only thing font wise you can change by using HTML is bold italics and underline. All other HTML codes will NOT work. PC has done this so that the professional looking aspects of the website can not be changed.

julesh said:

It's easy to set up, but there isn't much "freedom" to customize, so they do tend to all look the same...

I like some of the recipe tips and ideas...not to self to try those in about a month (too busy having shows!) :)

I've also had many customers having a hard time using the site...it was easy for me, but I'm more technically saavy than most of my customers.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification! Makes perfect sense.

I just picked up a book that I plan to use for tips on my site. In fact, I just added some this morning. The book is 834 Kitchen Quick Tips: Techniques and shortcuts for the curious cook, and is by the editors of Cook's Illustrated magazine. The tips are AWESOME!!

Here's one: To avoid the mess due to overspray when using nonstick cooking sprays, open your dishwasher and place the item to be sprayed on the door. The residue will be washed off the next time you run the dishwasher.

chefann said:
I just picked up a book that I plan to use for tips on my site. In fact, I just added some this morning. The book is 834 Kitchen Quick Tips: Techniques and shortcuts for the curious cook, and is by the editors of Cook's Illustrated magazine. The tips are AWESOME!!

Here's one: To avoid the mess due to overspray when using nonstick cooking sprays, open your dishwasher and place the item to be sprayed on the door. The residue will be washed off the next time you run the dishwasher.

How cool!!!

janetupnorth said:
...not to self to try those in about a month (too busy having shows!) :)

Yeah, look at you braggin'!

chefann said:

Great tip!

Now, each month you are going to have to pass your tips along to US so we can add them to our websites too!!!:p

You can check them out on my site... :)

Just What I Needed!!You are all so helpful!!! Adding fresh tips and recipes are great ideas!! I did notice how little latitude there is to personalize, and from a "professional image" standpoint, I do understand the rationale in making the tinkering minimal... but I really wanted a way to make it mine!! I think the idea about "special" months and days are nifty too - I seem to recall a national pretzel appreciation day and national ice cream month... I will do an internet search and see if I can locate an online resource for that sort of thing... for when my own ideas run dry!! :p

And while the websites will all look the "same" your guests should only be seeing yours, right? :D

Welcome Rebecca! I am in Wasilla and was wondering whose cluster you are in?? Maybe we are cluster mates!

Hi Gillian!!I would love to get together sometime, whether we are in the same cluster or not!! My Senior Director is Jana W. in South Anchorage... and you??? I am very new to both Anchorage and Pampered Chef, so I'd love a chance to chat and get business-building ideas from you!!!!!

Yep- Jana is my director too! Will you be at her cluster meeting on the 16th? I can meet you there!!

raebates said:
Yeah, look at you braggin'!

Actually it was truly a joke...;) ...I had one Thurs. night but it was only my 3rd cooking show - 4th overall. I figured it'd be a "good excuse" though, rather than saying I spend too much time online... LOL!

Here are som "Website Savvy" notes I took from a seminar, cd? I can't remember. I've also added my 2 cents worth. Hope you can find somehting useful!

Attachments

• Website Savvy Notes.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 383
MandyK, good notes. I just recently took the Web Savvy Tele-class and I'll attach my notes too. It was a great class - some things I was already doing and some things I will start doing - especially mentioning your site during your shows. The 30-second commercial on your website is a fabulous idea - and rehearse it too so it doesn't sound forced.

Also, I got a big case of deja-vu seeing your notes. It funny how things circulate around on here. I posted some website tips over a year ago and I'm still seeing things today. I've updated my original website summary notes.

Thanks everyone for all the good tips, ideas and advice, Linda

Attachments

• PERSONAL WEB SITE SAVVY TELE.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 407
  • website summary updated.doc
    26 KB · Views: 337
janetupnorth said:
Actually it was truly a joke...;) ...I had one Thurs. night but it was only my 3rd cooking show - 4th overall. I figured it'd be a "good excuse" though, rather than saying I spend too much time online... LOL!

I'll tell you what my DH often tells me when I confess the shortcuts I use, what I was really doing, etc:

You sound so impressive until you start confessing. You don't have to tell people EVERYTHING!

Looking aroundI took the great advice offered by several of you and I have been browsing through some other people's sites... I noticed that lots of the recipes appear cut-and-pasted and even have a PC copyright insignia at the end... Where can I look for already-typed PC product friendly recipes like that? I know there must be an online resource I haven't found yet...

Some of you seem to have awesome advise posted on nearly every topic thread there is!! I don't mean this in a sarastic way by any means, but some of you all should write a book!!! PC For Dummies!! I would be your first customer!!!:p

putting recipes on your PWSFor the recipes, just go to the corporate PC site, look under recipes and open one that you like. Highlight the whole recipe, in MS Explorer go under "EDIT", then "SELECT ALL", then right click and "COPY". Start a new blank word document, right click and "PASTE" - the recipe should now be in a word doc for you to save on your computer.

To move to your personal web site (PWS) do the same thing from your word document to the page in News or Calendar that you are editing.

I hope this all makes sense, Linda

PS - if I can find a photo of the recipe I'll put that in - some of the Taste of the Tropic recipes have photos on the PWS photo gallery. Also, on the U.S. corporate site they usually have a recipe of the month that sometimes has photos. If you have made the recipe and took a photo of it you can download it to your PWS. Or, last but not least, put in a photo of one of the tools used to make that recipe.

Last edited:
Yep- that's all I do- copy and paste a recipe from the corporate PC site.

Last year HO sent out a note that they would like consultants to only post PC recipes on their PWS. They retracted that requirement, but I think it makes sense, as we know the recipes are tested to work with the tools.

KellyTheChef said:
Only thing font wise you can change by using HTML is bold italics and underline. All other HTML codes will NOT work. PC has done this so that the professional looking aspects of the website can not be changed.

You're welcome to check out my site if you'd like... I love playing with it! :D
I made spaces between the "news" headlines on the front page so it looks a little cleaner...and made them bold in certain places.
/laurawells

I am sooo glad I asked!I was serious about the PC for Dummies book idea! You all are so generous with everything from ideas and advice to your patience with ground-level "duh"-type questions from us newbees. A sincere thanks to all of you!! PLEASE keep sharing!! Laura - I am on my way to your site now! :p

I am taking the web site table talk class tomorrow - I know that will help too, but now I won't be as overwhelmed since I will have these great ideas under construction already! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Pampered Laura said:
You're welcome to check out my site if you'd like... I love playing with it! :D
I made spaces between the "news" headlines on the front page so it looks a little cleaner...and made them bold in certain places.
/laurawells

So how did you make the bold and extra spaces?

Before each title, add < br> (without the space before the br). :)

Thanks, Laura! I love the more open look this gives.

Thanks Laura - I didn't realize you could do that!

Just to summarize what can be done on your PWS:

<b>bold</b>
<i>italics</i>
<u>underline</u>
<br>put before a title to double space

note: remember to put the ending symbol or your whole page will be bold, etc.

Does anyone who is very, very, very computer smart know any other things we can use on our sites?

Thanks, Linda

That's it. They limit what we can do so that they don't end up looking amateurish.And if you've ever seen what people who are just learning to code websites do (or many eBay pages), it's a good restriction.

Bexamo said:
Does anyone have any tips to share on how they added a few personal touches to their site?

I think it's important to have an "About Me" section. Because I drop off catalogs to various places and because of catalog shows out there with my website on it, I like the idea of people being able to check-in and find out who they are ordering from. I added a picture and stated miscellaneous tidbits about me, my life, how much I love PC, etc...
It makes them feel connected and adds that personal touch!

Good idea, Kim.

Apostrophe and other punctuationHELP!! When I use punctuation, it comes out with question marks instead of whatever I meant to use - quotation marks, apostrophe.... Does anyone know how to do this? For now, I found an 's in one of the standard items we can choose - copied and pasted. There has got to be another way!!

Also, would any of you be kind enough to critique my site? I just revised it and personalized it like I wanted when I started this thread... What do you all think? What works? What should I remove/revise??

Thanks soooo much for all the wonderful support!!!!

Sure! What is your site name?

Oops!:eek: I thought it was on my signature... SORRY!! The site name is bexkitchen. Thanks so much for your help!!

Hey Rebecca- I didn't look at your site but just wanted to say hi! Crazy weather out there, huh? I actually have grass outside!! You know, the tiny patches of color between the huge mud pits in my driveway, LOL!!

See you next Monday!

Gillian, I have Sink Holes and GlaciersGillian, my yard seems to have glaciers. I have sinkholes in the snow piles which fill with water when the temperature rises during the day. When it hard freezes at night, I get little glaciers! This is my first year in Alaska, so it is quite a learning experience!! I haven't seen anything green though... Will that really come????? :)

It will really come... for 2-3 months! Then it will go away again, LOL! I love driving on dry roads and hope the warm weather "sticks"! I know as soon as I get my studs off it will snow again!

Rebecca~

I really like your online special for booking certain days and your "bookmark me" news section! Those should really helpful!

Looks nice!

Sorry, I don't have an answer as to why the punctuation marks are not coming out like they should...hopefully someone else here understand why. If not, I would call tech support. Let us all know what you find out!

Rebecca,

I also like your site!

What I like the most is under your Calendar section - the different "days" such as National Stress Awareness Day, my personal favorite. I also liked the way you highlighted a product or product line in the details of that event.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to the punctuation problem.

Linda

Oops, I forgot to ask where did you find the info on all those "special" days?

Oops, oops, I just looked earlier in the post, thanks.

Last edited:
Re: Punctuation

Are you copying from a Word document or other formatted document? Sometimes they use "fancy" quotes and things for apostrophes and quotes, that don't translate to the PWS software.

Is "Times New Roman" font my problem?I usually use Times New Roman as my default font when I create MS Word Documents. Is there a specific font anyone uses which does not seem to cause punctuation problems?

My writing style leans toward using dashes (-) and quotation marks (") not to mention the standard apostrophe for indication of posession - Bob's Website... I get question marks instead of dashes, quotation marks and apostrophes when I "view my site" - not when I am working with the personal website assistant. (See?? I just used all three without thinking!!)

Anyhow, a change of font is the first idea I have, but I don't want to play "hit and miss" with my modifications... Does anyone have another favorite font and is not plagued by appearing that they don't edit their work??

FeedbackKelly and Linda - thanks for the feedback!! I am just trying to implement the ideas the group shared on this site!! I am also open to suggestions for improvement... I won't be offended! I just want to do a good job. If anyone likes some of the ways I used the ideas, feel free to borrow! That's how we all get great - borrow a bit from here and there and be better for it in the end!!! ;)

Does anyone else have a website with some fun or unique features I can peek at??

Bexamo said:
I usually use Times New Roman as my default font when I create MS Word Documents. Is there a specific font anyone uses which does not seem to cause punctuation problems?

My writing style leans toward using dashes (-) and quotation marks (") not to mention the standard apostrophe for indication of posession - Bob's Website... I get question marks instead of dashes, quotation marks and apostrophes when I "view my site" - not when I am working with the personal website assistant. (See?? I just used all three without thinking!!)

Anyhow, a change of font is the first idea I have, but I don't want to play "hit and miss" with my modifications... Does anyone have another favorite font and is not plagued by appearing that they don't edit their work??
It's not the font that causes the problems, it's the "smart" punctuation. And it's turned on by default when you install Word. It's the feature that changes fractions from 1/2 to the little teeny 1/2.

Under Tools> Autocorrect> AutoFormat as you type, make sure that the 6 boxes in the middle are not checked.

Brilliant!Chef Ann... Your post solved my bug!! Awesome!! Thank you for taking the time to explain how I can stop being so frustrated!!! I THINK I have all the bugs worked out now... FINALLY!! :D

Glad I could help.

It's actually the same thing that causes portions of recipes to not show correctly when people with a different word processor (or even a different version of Word) open them. I keep those substitutions turned off in Word for that very reason.

My Calendar DataI wanted to bump this thread up because I learned soooo much from all of you through this! Also, on another thread, someone asked about all the special days, etc. The sites I personally used are higher in this thread, but if anyone wants to use it, this is a ROUGH word document I made - kind of scratch notes - of days for each month and any information on the holidays I have. Feel free to use it, with the understanding that editing is NEEDED!!! This was me trying to work fast... not my usual perfectionist self!! :D

Attachments

• Calendar Information.doc
    154.5 KB · Views: 493

1. How can I personalize my website to reflect my personality?

One way to personalize your website is to include a short bio or about me section. This allows customers to get to know you and your story. You can also include personal photos, such as pictures of yourself at work or with your family, to give your website a more personal touch.

2. Are there any customizable options on the templates for my website?

Yes, most templates have customizable options such as color schemes, fonts, and layout. You can also add your own images and text to make it unique to your business.

3. Have you received any feedback from customers about changes you made on your website?

Yes, I have received positive feedback from customers about adding a personal touch to my website. Customers appreciate seeing the person behind the business and it helps them connect with you on a more personal level.

4. What are some tips for making my website stand out?

One tip is to keep your website visually appealing and easy to navigate. Use high-quality images and make sure your website is mobile-friendly. You can also consider adding customer reviews and testimonials, as well as featuring any unique products or services you offer.

5. How can I show my customers that I care about their business through my website?

One way to show your customers that you care is by providing excellent customer service on your website. This can include having a chat feature for customers to easily reach you, responding to emails and inquiries promptly, and offering helpful resources and tips on your website. You can also include a thank you message or note on your website to show your appreciation for their business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tara1021
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pkd09
  • Lilamyw3
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Chef Endora