• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Does Shipping Always Seem to Be a Problem?

In summary, a bank did a "lunch show" with me and although it wasn't really a show because when I got there, they basically had their orders ready and just wrote them down on the order forms I gave them, I turned in orders totaling $150. However, I was blindsided by the shipping question and when I delivered the orders today I was in a pissy mood and forgot to order 2 microcookers for one lady.
DebbieJ
I did a "lunch show" at a bank last month. Although it really wasn't a show because when I got there, they basically had their orders ready and just wrote them down on the order forms I gave them.

I set up in the lobby and did the profiterole puffs (had puffs baked, just mixed the filling and filled them), but it wasn't like a big demo or anything. They had just 5 employees there that day and only like 3 customers walked in during the hour and a half that I hung out--and none of those customers stopped to talk to me.

So....the employee orders didn't quite reach $150, but I had an individual order that I added and turned them all in as a show.

I go to deliver the orders today and I was blindsided by the shipping question. Why were we all charged $4 in shipping???? Well, if you would have read the order form and listened when I totaled you up and told you about it, you would have known. I was in a pissy mood, so I didn't handle it very well. Ugh. I know they are probably unhappy. Then I forgot to order 2 microcookers for one lady (just ordered one) so I'm not done dealing with them either.

I should have told them that I SAVED them money on shipping by putting it into a show! I still don't think they would have understood, though. *sigh*

I hate whiners! If they shopped around they would know our shipping is CHEAP!!!

We should start making a list of other current shipping charges of DS companies or ask HO if they have a comparison chart that we could show people like this....

Deep breath in. Exhale. Repeat until calm.

I know that people can be really crabby sometimes, when they would have known about stuff if they had only listened. Would that we could only smack their little noggins!

One day, a long, long, looooong time from now, you will laugh at this experience.

janetupnorth said:
We should start making a list of other current shipping charges of DS companies or ask HO if they have a comparison chart that we could show people like this....

This is a REALLY GOOD IDEA!! At least something we could keep and pull out when people start asking about shipping charges! I'm so glad that PC doesn't give anything out towards the # of orders anymore. I almost ALWAYS have one or two people who put their orders together to save the shipping.

janetupnorth said:

Partylite and Tupperware both charge 10% of your order...with a $4 and $2.75 minimum S&H respectively!

:eek: I thought this was going to be a chastizing thread telling us all to stop whining about Fed ex and HO!!!!!!

sillylittlechef said:
:eek: I thought this was going to be a chastizing thread telling us all to stop whining about Fed ex and HO!!!!!!

That's what I thought too. What a relief to see it was a complaint about customers. :rolleyes:

I do remind people that if they order off of amazon or some other online store they will probably pay more for shipping a similar item.

Cheap Cheap CheapWe will never escape the presence of cheap people at our shows or even people who we show the catalog to for orders.
I had one lady announce at a show I had two weeks ago that she got some items on eBay. :eek: The the garlic press for only $15.50 with shipping, prep bowl set for $22.00 with shipping and the large scoop for only $14.50 with shipping included. She was proud and announced it to everybody at the show. :mad:

I also announced that eBay may seem cheaper but the shipping usually makes up for the savings and they have no warranty for their products. After they get the product they are on their own. No help from a consultant on returns or with questions about the use and care of the product.
I told them that if the $4.00 was so expensive for them they could combine the orders but whoever's name was on the receipt would be responsible for taking care of the receipt in case they needed it later. No one combined their order and I got two bookings!

I told her that she spent $52.00 on products that cost $48 plus our shipping is only $4.00 so that comes out to $52.00. The tax would be $4.23. So she saved $4.23 but because she bought off of eBay she has no warranty on those items, and her purchase does not help the host earn her FREE products.

She was embarrassed and I told her that if she had added $12 more dollars this month she would get a FREE seasoning from the Pampered Pantry.
She quickly told her host, who wasn't too happy she announced that, that she was still going to place an order at the show because she still needed items. Then she quickly sat down and was quiet.

Debbie :D

Tastefully Simple charges 10% of your order too.

Good for you, Debbie!

The shipping thing causes no end of trouble at some of my shows. People just don't seem to realize that even though they're being shipped to the host's house, there's still a cost involved. HO doesn't just teleport them to the front porch!

And with as much grief as I get over $4, it makes me glad that I don't live overseas (APO) or in a noncontiguous state, where the shipping is so much more.

Amen Ann!!

This issue seems to be popping up for me a little more often than usual. I understand people's problem with $4 shipping if all they are ordering is a silicone basting brush. But how great is $4 shipping on a $60 or more order?

I could give $4 shipping on a $60 order as a DOOR PRIZE and people would be THRILLED!!

Don't do me any favors!People think if they order a $10 item they are doing ME a favor and I shouldn't charge them shipping or tax. It's crazy!!! :eek:

I have a cheap lady at church who always tells me to add her order to someone else's when someone at my church has a show and she is not lacking funds!! I told her
"Well that isn't really fair for so and so to have to pay your shipping but I will ask them before I add it to their order." She decided she would just pay it herself because she knew the person who she wanted to add her order to would have done it just to be nice. But she is having another child and her finances are tight.
I can't believe some people are so careful about $4 when they easily blow that much on eating out, at the grocery store or even at a vending machine without batting an eye!

gilliandanielle said:
I could give $4 shipping on a $60 order as a DOOR PRIZE and people would be THRILLED!!

I'm sure they would be! It must hurt sales at times having a higher shipping cost than the rest of us.

Some people always feel that they need to complain--it isn't a good day if they don't think they can worm their way into getting a bargain. PC has one of the lowest s & h fees in direct sales and they should appreciate it!

DebbieSAChef said:
People think if they order a $10 item they are doing ME a favor and I shouldn't charge them shipping or tax. It's crazy!!! :eek:
I'm to the point now that I want to tell people, "I will only make $2.50 on your $10 order, so I can't afford to pay for your shipping."

chefann said:
I'm to the point now that I want to tell people, "I will only make $2.50 on your $10 order, so I can't afford to pay for your shipping."

I hear you on that one. They must think we have all the products in our homes just waiting for us to pick them and deliver them to our hosts.:rolleyes:

Sometimes if you tell them that part of a host's rewards is free shipping on her order they will book just to get free shipping.

pamperedharriet said:
I'm sure they would be! It must hurt sales at times having a higher shipping cost than the rest of us.
I had a host the other day offer 3 people the chance to add their order to hers to get the free shipping!! I told her that their orders don't count towards guest sales then and she got all mad at me! Sorry- it isn't like I am pocketing the shipping! It was bad enough at 15% but now we have to do 15% + $2 which really adds up!

I had a show that was $928 commissionable sales, plus around $100 in host stuff I don't make commission on- The total of the whole show with 2.5% tax and shipping was $1242.48!! That is over $200 in shipping and tax!

Most DS companies charge 10% and if they don't charge that much to the customer, then they make it up with the host! Most charge their host S&H AND MOST charge tax on their free stuff too~!:confused: Free is suppossed to be free! I LOVE telling our hosts when I give them the breakdown of their order and how it totaled to what they are spending, I always say, "And you don't pay S&H because you are the hosts, and our hosts NEVER pay s&h! And I when I tell them what their tax was, I tell them, and that was for what you actually bought, not your free products, nor do you pay tax on the full price of your half price and 60% off items!" I always get great reactions from that!!! Try it, they will love to hear the breakdown!!!:)
That really separates PC from other DS Companies, we don't set out to screw over either our customers and we especially take care of our hosts!!!! I have cancelled shows before in the past, when I figured out that the company that I scheduled a show with has a terrible host program, which includes, the way they handle the host's final cost!;) :D

gilliandanielle said:
I had a show that was $928 commissionable sales, plus around $100 in host stuff I don't make commission on- The total of the whole show with 2.5% tax and shipping was $1242.48!! That is over $200 in shipping and tax!
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

gilliandanielle said:
Most of this has nothing to do with PC. It has to do with what they are being forced to pay! And if gas prices weren't so darn high the shipping prices would have never raised up! PC didn't do it to make more money, they did it to cover their own costs. Because if they lost money in shipping all the time then they wouldn't be in business for very long! Especially now a days with prices still going up!
I figure you know this and I'm not lecturing you!;) I'm just pointing this out!:)

I guess now I can add to my host benefit speech by saying that it is cheaper to buy ingredients for a show and get free shipping than it is to pay shipping on your order here tonight! Bookings heaven here I come!

I know it isn't PC's fault and that they aren't pocketing the money either, it just sucks that someone wants to order a mix n'chop and the shipping is $3.35 just for that!!

So true, Gillian. That is when I would suggest that they add it to someone else's order and split shipping!! Holy crap, that would suck!!!:eek:
Good luck to you! :)

gilliandanielle said:
I guess now I can add to my host benefit speech by saying that it is cheaper to buy ingredients for a show and get free shipping than it is to pay shipping on your order here tonight! Bookings heaven here I come!
Sounds good to me!!!:D

I just got an email form my Creative memories consltant and they are now charging shipping of $7.00 if the order is under $100 and a certain % if it is more then $100

DebbieSAChef said:
We will never escape the presence of cheap people at our shows or even people who we show the catalog to for orders.
I had one lady announce at a show I had two weeks ago that she got some items on eBay. :eek: The the garlic press for only $15.50 with shipping, prep bowl set for $22.00 with shipping and the large scoop for only $14.50 with shipping included. She was proud and announced it to everybody at the show. :mad:

I also announced that eBay may seem cheaper but the shipping usually makes up for the savings and they have no warranty for their products. After they get the product they are on their own. No help from a consultant on returns or with questions about the use and care of the product.
I told them that if the $4.00 was so expensive for them they could combine the orders but whoever's name was on the receipt would be responsible for taking care of the receipt in case they needed it later. No one combined their order and I got two bookings!

I told her that she spent $52.00 on products that cost $48 plus our shipping is only $4.00 so that comes out to $52.00. The tax would be $4.23. So she saved $4.23 but because she bought off of eBay she has no warranty on those items, and her purchase does not help the host earn her FREE products.

She was embarrassed and I told her that if she had added $12 more dollars this month she would get a FREE seasoning from the Pampered Pantry.
She quickly told her host, who wasn't too happy she announced that, that she was still going to place an order at the show because she still needed items. Then she quickly sat down and was quiet.

AWESOME DEBBIE!!!!!!

gilliandanielle said:
I know it isn't PC's fault and that they aren't pocketing the money either, it just sucks that someone wants to order a mix n'chop and the shipping is $3.35 just for that!!

$3.35? That's cheaper than $4.....is that a misprint?

Becky-
It looks like it is not a misprint they have tp pay 15% shipping plus $2 and if the mixn chop is all they want then thier shipping is 3.35 yeah it is cheaper then $4 but the larger thier order goes the more shipping they pay.

Jennie4PC said:
I just got an email form my Creative memories consltant and they are now charging shipping of $7.00 if the order is under $100 and a certain % if it is more then $100
I am not positive but I think this is because they are changing to direct shipping- at least in AK... They never had the option of direct shipping before and I have lost out on BIG orders from my sis in AZ because she doesn't want to pay to ship it to me, then pay to ship it to her! THANKS PC!

ChefBeckyD said:
$3.35? That's cheaper than $4.....is that a misprint?
No- it is right. But on an order with just a food chopper ($29.50) the shipping is $6.43 plus tax!!

gilliandanielle said:
No- it is right. But on an order with just a food chopper ($29.50) the shipping is $6.43 plus tax!!

....Gotcha!;)

DebbieSAChef said:
We will never escape the presence of cheap people at our shows or even people who we show the catalog to for orders.

Great Job Debbie!!! Well, spoke! I would totally remind guest when they are "buddying up" that they will not be able to get any warranty help since it is under the other persons name. I am sure they start thinking twice after that! :D

shipping fee for hosts with the following DS (don't have order forms so can't remember but i think each charges 10% of product for customer shipping)

Taste of home $250 level begins free shipping
Longaberger starts at $750 level
Southern Living $250 Party sales of $125 -$249.99 no free products)!!!! [/B]
At home America shipping fee for hosts not included in their chart

Just something else to add to the shipping charge debate.....most delivery companies (UPS, not sure about FedEx), charge more to a business for a residential delivery. And normally, the companies are charged by weight, or dimensional weight (size of box if it light, but large) So, $4 is nothing. It may seem like alot on a really small item, but when you think about February and all the stoneware that went out, our customers would've been paying thru the nose for the weight alone. AND when you factor in the packaging materials used (boxes), it really is nothing. AND, most companies are adding in fuel surcharges as well.
BTW, can you tell I used to work in packaging/shipping sales?:p :p

Thankfully, I have not had any complaints on shipping here. I think b/c where I am you have to order so many things or drive 90 miles to the nearest mall that people do not mind the $4.00 shipping fee.

The taxes aggravate me more b/c most of the towns here are 9% on top of the shipping, so, that really makes it add up.

I am glad to pay $4 b/c I know when I orders clothes out of magazines I pay $10-$15 easy on it.

sillylittlechef said:

I did too! I didn't even click on it all day b/c I did not want to get mad and go off on someone!!! ha!:D

I had an Arbonne party in January and I believe that I paid either 10 or 15% for shipping...plus the consultant didn't do ANY host coaching nor did she give out receipts to my guests! I ended up spending almost $200 and didn't really feel like I got much (I got NOTHING for free like PC offers) I'm also in the middle of a PL catalog show for my SIL and their host benefits are definitely not as good as PC!! I LOVE the host program we offer!!

Elizabeth

I have been "roped" into doing a Mary Kay party soon. The only thing I will get is some kind of tote bag. But the Consultant personally does free products and discounts but MK does not.

1. Why is shipping always a problem with Pampered Chef?

Shipping can often seem like a problem with any company, but at Pampered Chef, we strive to make the process as smooth and affordable as possible. Our shipping rates are competitive and we offer a variety of shipping options to fit your needs.

2. I recently did a "lunch show" at a bank and was charged $4 in shipping. Why was this?

At Pampered Chef, we have a minimum order requirement of $150 to qualify for free shipping. Since the orders from your lunch show did not reach this amount, the $4 shipping charge was applied. However, by adding an individual order to the show, you were still able to take advantage of our free shipping offer.

3. I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention to the shipping charges on my order form. Why was I charged $4 in shipping?

It is important to carefully review your order form and listen to the totals given by your Pampered Chef consultant. Our minimum order requirement for free shipping is $150, and any orders below this amount will incur a $4 shipping charge.

4. I feel like I was charged too much for shipping on my Pampered Chef order. What can I do?

If you feel like you were charged too much for shipping on your Pampered Chef order, please reach out to your consultant or our customer service team. We are always happy to review your order and address any concerns you may have.

5. I've heard that shipping with Pampered Chef is expensive. Is this true?

No, this is not true. Pampered Chef offers competitive shipping rates and a variety of shipping options to fit your needs. We also have a minimum order requirement of $150 for free shipping, which can be easily achieved by combining orders with friends or family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Braedensmom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
rennea
  • lt1jane
  • General Chat
Replies