• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's for Dinner Tonight? Pork Chops, Rice Pilaf, and Steamed Veggies!

In summary, the group discussed their dinner plans, which included pork chops with rice pilaf, steamed vegetables, cheese stuffed hot wings, tacos, baked potatoes, and rolls. Others mentioned making chicken and steak fajitas, parmesean-herb encrusted tilapia, low-fat chili, shredded chicken 15 bean chili, steak fajitas, beef and portabella stroganoff, roasted chicken legs with homemade stuffing, homemade pizza, salad, nacho dip, baked ziti with garden salad, and rib-eye steaks with baked potatoes and salad. Some members shared their strategies for keeping grocery costs low, such as buying sale meats and setting a budget.
rennea
Gold Member
Tonight we are having pork chops w/rice pilaf. Steamed veggies as a side.

DH night to cook....tacos.

I am trying a new recipe I saw in a magazine. Cheese stuffed hot wings.
I am stuffing cheddar in the wingettes, rolling in bread crumbs and baking them until they are crisp and ready.

I will have a variety of dipping sauces because we love to dip (honey mustard, barbecue sauce and ranch)

Baked potatoes on the side would be good and some rolls.

Debbie :D

Today is Russell's birthday. His parents are cooking supper. We're having chicken and steak fajitas. His dad cooks the BEST ones ever!

I think parmesean-herb encrusted tilapia with left over steamed rice and veggies.

Low Fat Chili! Yum.
Makes a tonne, so tomorrow we can have cheesy chili mac and breakfast on Sat. will be "huevos rancheros"! Hee hee.

chili,,,because it is chilly here!!!!

I can't decide!

Steak Fajitas

or

Beef and Portabella Stroganoff

or

Roasted Chicken Legs w/ Homemade Stuffing.

What do you think? Maybe I should start a poll....:D

Shredded Chicken 15 Bean Chili for this COLDDDDDDDDDDDD day! In the crock pot!

ChefBeckyD said:
I can't decide!

Steak Fajitas

or

Beef and Portabella Stroganoff

or

Roasted Chicken Legs w/ Homemade Stuffing.

What do you think? Maybe I should start a poll....:D

I vote for the Stroganoff. :D

janetupnorth said:
I vote for the Stroganoff. :D

I'm leaning that way too.

I got a small chuckeye roast for a really great price yesterday (I'm really good at finding the sale meats that have been marked down even further because they are getting close to their expiration dates!).

I had the bread for stuffing drying on the counter over-night, but that can go in the freezer until I decide to use it. And it's soooo cold here today, and I know DH has to be out in it most of the day (clearing sidewalks, and sanding - because salt doesn't work when it's this cold!) and I think Stroganoff would be a warmer, heartier meal than fajitas. He brought in all kinds of wood this morning so I wouldn't have to today - I gotta be good to him too!;)

Homemade Pizza and salad for t he family as I have a show.

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm leaning that way too.

I got a small chuckeye roast for a really great price yesterday (I'm really good at finding the sale meats that have been marked down even further because they are getting close to their expiration dates!).

I had the bread for stuffing drying on the counter over-night, but that can go in the freezer until I decide to use it. And it's soooo cold here today, and I know DH has to be out in it most of the day (clearing sidewalks, and sanding - because salt doesn't work when it's this cold!) and I think Stroganoff would be a warmer, heartier meal than fajitas. He brought in all kinds of wood this morning so I wouldn't have to today - I gotta be good to him too!;)

Sounds like a plan!

baked ziti & garden salad. after my H&S meeting tonight (if I'm not too late) DH & I will enjoy some nacho dip! mmmmm.

I need to figure out dinner with what I have at home. I have TONS of food around, just need to piece it together. I set a goal of spending only about $25 for 1 week on food...that ends tomorrow and I only spent $18-$20 so far. (Bread, milk, eggs, tomato paste and a few other things...)Then next week I'm going to try the same thing. I have toilet paper and shaving cream to get and milk and eggs and maybe buns, but I should be able to make it again pretty close to that.

Rib-Eye steaks (thanks to the beef we butchered), baked potatoes, and salad.

janetupnorth said:
I need to figure out dinner with what I have at home. I have TONS of food around, just need to piece it together. I set a goal of spending only about $25 for 1 week on food...that ends tomorrow and I only spent $18-$20 so far. (Bread, milk, eggs, tomato paste and a few other things...)

Then next week I'm going to try the same thing. I have toilet paper and shaving cream to get and milk and eggs and maybe buns, but I should be able to make it again pretty close to that.

Janet,

I do something very similiar....then the weeks that I do not go over I put the few extra dollars into the something "Special Fund" When we have enough we either go out to eat or have a special meal at home.

It does help and you don't end up buying alot of extras.

Janet and Sarah, I would seriously love to hear about some of the meals that you make with a grocery budget that low. I definitely need some ideas.

Today, I am making grilled chicken (marinated with a greek vinegarette), canned potatoes, and corn.

janetupnorth said:
I need to figure out dinner with what I have at home. I have TONS of food around, just need to piece it together. I set a goal of spending only about $25 for 1 week on food...that ends tomorrow and I only spent $18-$20 so far. (Bread, milk, eggs, tomato paste and a few other things...)

Then next week I'm going to try the same thing. I have toilet paper and shaving cream to get and milk and eggs and maybe buns, but I should be able to make it again pretty close to that.

I would love to able to do that! I have tried that last two weeks to keep it around $60 and only buy things I NEED. But with Cole needing baby food it is impossible to be too low. I am putting him on regualr milk this weekend, so, that should help. Thankfully with my diapers showers I have not had to buy diapers yet but I will soon. I am hoping to have him off formula and doing well when I have to start buying diapers in a month or so.

I do go through where I make myself clean out the stuff I already have in the pantry and freezer before I puy anything else to put in there.

janetupnorth said:

There was a "chef on a shoestring" segment on one of the national morning news shows (and accompanying website) just this week that featured a dinner for 4 for $35. Most of the comments on the site were to the effect that "$35 is my weekly budget" and "If this chef thinks that $35 is a shoestring, I'm going to his house for dinner." The entree was duck with goat cheese. :rolleyes:

We'll have to start a thread on it later. Basically, for me, my meals might not cost that little, but I am using what is in my pantry. If you dig through and make a list of what is in your house, you'll be AMAZED on what you really have...you just need to be creative using it. There is a lady on the Dave Ramsey forum that is great at planning meals from your freezer/pantry!!!!You can't stay that lower forever, but it is good to challenge yourself for a few weeks. You learn to plan and waste a lot less...

chefann said:
There was a "chef on a shoestring" segment on one of the national morning news shows (and accompanying website) just this week that featured a dinner for 4 for $35. Most of the comments on the site were to the effect that "$35 is my weekly budget" and "If this chef thinks that $35 is a shoestring, I'm going to his house for dinner." The entree was duck with goat cheese. :rolleyes:

This is someone who isn't living in the real world.

The only time you can even get duck around here is at Christmas!

And I was so proud of my dinner tonight....I'll have to figure out the cost and post it.

So - for Dinner tonight, we had Beef and Portabella Stroganoff w/ whole grain egg noodles, and Parisian Blend veggies.(green and yellow beans & baby carrots.)

I made enough Stroganoff for 3 meals - we will use one extra meal probably this weekend, and I'm freezing the other one.

So here is the price breakdown for the entire recipe. (and for some prices I estimated on the high side - sour cream is $1.69 for 16 ounces & I used half)

Chuck Roast - 2.3 lbs @ 1.75 lb = $4.00
8 ounces Baby 'Bellas - $2.00
16 ounces Egg Noodles - $2.00
1 quart Beef Broth (made with Better Than Broth Beef Base) - $1.00
8 ounces Sour Cream - $1
4 ounces cream cheese - $1
Parisian Veggies - $1.50

Total for 3 Meals of Beef Stroganoff : $12.50.

Items not included in cost - 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce, Salt & Pepper. I'll have to add a Veggie to the next 2 meals, but still, I made 3 meals for my family for what will average out to be $5 per meal!

And I bet it tasted just as good as Duck!

DH is making the Carbonara and Poached Egg recipe in the new 29 minutes cookbook. It's smelling really good in my house right now :)

Good job Becky!We ended up having leftover ribs (from camp)
Macaroni and Cheese
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Raw CarrotsWe had more than enough and the dogs got a bite or two of potatoes as a treat.I just got my gas bill earlier than planned...I was planning next month, but even with burning wood, we've still been using a bit... :(Good thing I'm cutting the grocery bill down as much as I can this month because YIKES! $303.96!!!!

janetupnorth said:
Good job Becky!

We ended up having leftover ribs (from camp)
Macaroni and Cheese
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Raw Carrots

We had more than enough and the dogs got a bite or two of potatoes as a treat.

I just got my gas bill earlier than planned...I was planning next month, but even with burning wood, we've still been using a bit... :(

Good thing I'm cutting the grocery bill down as much as I can this month because YIKES! $303.96!!!!

OUCH! I would croak! Ours was $177 for the past month, and that's why we've been burning wood nonstop since we got the bill. We are pretty happy with the thought that the furnace hasn't run once in the last 10 days. That has to help for this month!

We had sloppy joes and brocolli for dinner.

Our last g&e bill that came was $700, we were shocked. We had just installed a new furnace, and did some extra insulating in the attic. We even over paid the month prior by about $100 since we had it. We called to complain, and it turned out they added wrong somewhere. Our bill for the month was only $113. Not sure I want to see the next one coming out. Our furnace hasn't turned off for the last few days. It's so cold out. I'm really hoping it won't be over $300 when our average runs about $220.

We had the chicken with citrus & basil rub and honey again tonight since chicken was on sale this past week ($1.99 per pound for boneless/skinless). DH is working until 9:30 tonight, and it's an easy meal for me to fix and then he can reheat his plate when he gets home. Matched it with mixed veggies, brown & wild rice, and Sweet Hawaiian dinner rolls (my kids' favorite, and mine, too). I am FULL. :)

1. What is the menu for January 15th's "What's for Dinner?" event?

The menu for January 15th's "What's for Dinner?" event will feature our popular Italian-inspired dishes such as our famous lasagna, chicken parmesan, and garlic bread. We will also have a vegetarian option available.

2. Can I bring my own ingredients or make substitutions for dietary restrictions?

Unfortunately, for food safety reasons, we cannot allow outside ingredients to be brought into our kitchen. However, we can accommodate most dietary restrictions with advance notice. Please let us know when you RSVP for the event so we can make arrangements for you.

3. Are there any gluten-free options on the menu?

Yes, there will be a gluten-free option available for each dish on the menu. Please let us know about any dietary restrictions when you RSVP for the event so we can make sure to have enough gluten-free options for everyone.

4. Will there be any demonstrations or cooking tips during the event?

Absolutely! Our experienced chefs will be demonstrating each dish and providing helpful tips and tricks throughout the event. You will have the opportunity to learn new techniques and ask any questions you may have about the recipes.

5. Can I purchase any of the kitchen tools or ingredients used during the event?

Yes, all of the kitchen tools and ingredients used during the event will be available for purchase. Our team will be happy to assist you with any purchases after the event. We also offer special discounts for attendees of our "What's for Dinner?" events, so don't miss out!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rennea
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Laura420
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies