• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What to Do About Talking Guests?

In summary, dealing with talkative guests during a demonstration can be a challenge. Some strategies to handle this situation include trying to block them out and getting the audience involved in the demonstration. Another helpful technique is to use numbered recipe steps on index cards and hand them out to guests to get them more engaged. Acting like a teacher and incorporating humor can also be effective in regaining the attention of the group. Ultimately, finding ways to involve guests in the demonstration can be a successful way to manage talkative guests and potentially even lead to increased sales.
afokkema4u
What do you guys do when you have guests that just won't stop talking during your demonstration? :mad:

afokkema4u said:
What do you guys do when you have guests that just won't stop talking during your demonstration? :mad:
Yes it that can be very distracting and rude. The best you can do is try to focus on you task, try to block them out. Or you can get your audience involved in your demonstration which will hopefully draw those talker's attention back to you. Good luck! :)

Talking GuestsI struggle with rude guests a lot. There are several different things I learned at conference and listening to our tapes.
Say softly "If you can hear me now, clap once" (or put your finger on your nose). If not everyone claps, do it again a little louder with "clap twice". I have not had to go to 3 times yet. Then I follow up with, "if you can give me about 10 (or whatever) more minutes, my demo will be over; we can all chat while we eat."

For getting guests more involved, copy the recipe in numbered steps on several large index cards (one step per card). Hand them out to people (especially repeat guests that you know talk a lot!). Tell them you will be calling out the numbers and they will have to come up to help.

If this is a major problem in one particular group, try an express show where the bulk of your cooking is done when people get there. Put some items out for people to play with, give some tips, answer questions, feed 'em, collect your orders and go home.

Act Like a TeacherBoth my director and my advanced director are former school teachers, so I learned from the very beginning to act like a school teacher ie "Is this something the two of you can share with the group?" or I clap my hands and say "There is going to be a quiz on this later!" I find both these remarks get a laugh and then people actually are listening to me. I find this works with all groups especially with teachers!! Another trick I use is that I will clap my hands loudly and then say " I am supposed to be the center of attention" while I am pointing at myself. Again, this gets a laugh, and then I AM the center of attention!!

numbered recipe stepsthat sounds like a great idea--writing recipe steps on numbered cards! I'll try that at my next show! thanks for the idea!

AdultsI have had several rowdy bunches at my kitchen shows, but they are adults and to talk to them like school children seems very rude. I know that the people who come to my shows want to have fun, so if I feel like they are getting distracted, I let them join in. Find the person who is getting loud and invite them up to grate the cheese, or to use the can opener. They love using the products in the show and quite often they buy the product for themselves!

1. What should I do if a guest talks too much during a Pampered Chef party?

It's important to remember that everyone has different communication styles and some guests may be more talkative than others. As a consultant, it's your job to keep the party on track and make sure all guests feel included. One strategy is to politely redirect the conversation back to the product or demonstration. You can also try asking specific questions to engage quieter guests and balance out the talkative ones.

2. How can I politely ask a guest to stop talking over me during a demonstration?

If a guest is talking over you during a demonstration, try using non-verbal cues such as making eye contact or gesturing for them to listen. If that doesn't work, politely but firmly say something like, "Excuse me, I have some important information to share about this product. Can we please hold questions until after the demo?" This sets boundaries and lets the guest know that you need their attention.

3. What if a guest is constantly interrupting me or other guests?

If a guest is interrupting you or other guests, it's important to address the issue in a calm and professional manner. You can say something like, "I appreciate your enthusiasm, but let's make sure everyone has a chance to speak. Can you please hold your questions until the end of the presentation?" This acknowledges their excitement while also redirecting their behavior.

4. How do I handle a guest who is talking negatively about the products or company?

If a guest is speaking negatively about the products or company, it's important to remain professional and not take their comments personally. You can acknowledge their concerns and offer to address them after the party. It's also helpful to have positive testimonials or personal experiences to share with the group to counter any negative remarks.

5. What should I do if a guest continuously talks about unrelated topics?

If a guest is continuously talking about unrelated topics, it's important to steer the conversation back to the products or party theme. You can say something like, "That's an interesting topic, but let's get back to the demonstration. I want to make sure everyone has a chance to see how this product works." This keeps the focus on the party and ensures that all guests get the most out of the experience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sailorsarah
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
prissylovescooking
  • shanpaul
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies