• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Products Would You Like to See "Retired"?

I love the ice cream sandwich maker for making hamburgers!! I sell tons of these because of it. They make perfect 1/4 pound burgers. They also come out perfectly shaped so they cook evenly. No more dry outsides and undercooked insides.I think the wine bottle opener should be restyled as well.
missyciccolella
OK, we've chatted a lot about what products we would like to have, but what would lyou ike to see go?

Personally, I'd like the Salt/Pepper Mill to go...or at the very least redesigned.
The Nylon tool set, Suds Pump and self-sharpening knives can go as well.
There are many other products I'd like to see go, but I would want them re-designed/re-styled instead of 100% taken away (like the colander/bowl set).

I've actually sold some suds pumps because the local Arbonne lady recommends the PC ones to people for stretching out the Arbonne products.

Well, they only retire items based on sales...I think we need to keep the SS Knives. If we only have the Forged in our set, we are pricing out a whole group of people that won't spend the $$ for the forged knives even if they are better. I sell a ton of both.I'd love to see the SP Mill in stainless! I love the design, I just can't keep it clean when it sits on my stove.How would you like them to redesign the colander/bowl set? That's interesting...

The only 2 products I wouldn't use are the ice cream sandwich maker and the hold n slice. I've had a hold n slice for a decade and no longer use it.

I use my hold n slice every day! Haven't used the ice cream sandwich maker in forever though. I love the salt and pepper mill but changing the color/finish would be great.

I hate the colander set - would love to see a new one. That's the main thing I'd like changed. I'd like to see the spritzer redesigned to give guests less problems (though I have never had problems with mine).

I'd like the spritzer and suds pump redesigned so that they look more modern. The ice cream sandwich maker can go, and the dessert plates (heck, maybe they are gone and I haven't noticed. I've never sold a set).

I just bought all of the nylon tools and I really like them! I'd like the nicer tools, but until I can get them for free, they'll have to wait.

I prefer the Nylon Tools over the Chef's Tools and would love to see them offered individually again.

DebbieJ said:
I prefer the Nylon Tools over the Chef's Tools and would love to see them offered individually again.

I feel the same way! Also the new ones are not as sturdy as the old ones, also I've had quite a few women tell me the spoons are too deep....:confused:

I love the Nylon tool set. The ice cream sandwich maker can go. I have never used mine. I agree with the salt and pepper mill. I wish we had separate salt and pepper holders. I also think the wine opener should be made sturdier. I would love to see soup crocks added to the SA's.

I hate the wine opener! I agree with Kristin.

The cheese bistro set doesnt really sell at all for me.

The juicer

I think the wine bottle opener should be restyled as well.

dianevill said:
I'd like the spritzer and suds pump redesigned so that they look more modern. The ice cream sandwich maker can go, and the dessert plates (heck, maybe they are gone and I haven't noticed. I've never sold a set).

My old kitchen spritzer is stainless/black and I "thought" it was an old PC one...???? It's be perfect colors now...

janetupnorth said:
My old kitchen spritzer is stainless/black and I "thought" it was an old PC one...????

I WISH! No.... ours was never stainless.

This one's not a wish for retirement, but a wish for restyling - I'd like the handles on the batter bowls to change to be open on the bottom so that the bowls stack easier. I hate how much room they take up in the cupboard.

Ginger428 said:
I feel the same way! Also the new ones are not as sturdy as the old ones, also I've had quite a few women tell me the spoons are too deep....:confused:
Ditto that! I like the new style, but they are too big for most of the pans and they fall out of them and make a mess on my stove. I do love the ladle and spoon for my large pots and my crock pot though.

janetupnorth said:
The only 2 products I wouldn't use are the ice cream sandwich maker and the hold n slice. I've had a hold n slice for a decade and no longer use it.

I love the ice cream sandwich maker for making hamburgers!! I sell tons of these because of it. They make perfect 1/4 pound burgers. They also come out perfectly shaped so they cook evenly. No more dry outsides and undercooked insides.

You just need to press firmly on it when you are forming it. Works best of fresh hamburger, not unfrozen

chefann said:
This one's not a wish for retirement, but a wish for restyling - I'd like the handles on the batter bowls to change to be open on the bottom so that the bowls stack easier. I hate how much room they take up in the cupboard.

I whole heartedly agree!!! I have 2 classic bowls and one small one and it takes up half the cabinet

dollfangs said:
I whole heartedly agree!!! I have 2 classic bowls and one small one and it takes up half the cabinet

Yes, I agree too! They've ALWAYS been awkward and I put my small one in my regular one and over the years it has scratched, knicked it...

pamperedlinda said:
Ditto that! I like the new style, but they are too big for most of the pans and they fall out of them and make a mess on my stove. I do love the ladle and spoon for my large pots and my crock pot though.

I have a friend that has a small diner & he LOVES the nylon ladle, he says the handle NEVER gets hot! So he does buy alot of stuff from me, so when he said he only wanted 4 ladles, so I ordered 4 sets gave hime the ladles for 5.00 a piece & used the rest for prizes at my shows!!;)

I like Ann's idea on the batter bowls, they are a pain to stack.

I think that the hold N Slice and ice cream maker can go....

I love my S&P Mill but agree SS would be great.

chefann said:

AWESOME idea!

chefmeg said:
AWESOME idea!
I totally agree too!!! They do take up a lot of room. I love the bowls though!

Add me to the list of those who like the nylon tools better than the newer ones.
The new ones are to large and unwieldy, and I use the old black nylon tools all the time in my own kitchen - they are just the right size!

The hold n slice, the dessert plate set, the tiles paper napkins, the ice cream sandwich maker, and the suds pump are all things I think could be discontinued without a blip on my order screen.:D

Those who don't like the bowl/colander set - why not?

The bowl/colander set. Well, I've seen better designed models on the market. Ones that fold flat for storage (AWESOME). Or can stretch to be perched above the sink (WAY COOL). The bowls are okay, but the sizes are so different. I don't think there is enough variety in the size of the bowls. It's either small or way big.

To go:

The APCS stand

The Corer

Pastry Blender (bring back the old model-the concept of the new one is great, but it doesn't work)

I'm with Chefann- put different handles on the batter bowls. They do take up quite a bit of space.

I would like to see the handles on the chef's tools made a teeny bit shorter- they are too long to be useful. I would like to see different handles on the scrapers- The way they are designed really causes my carpal tunnel to flare up- if they could make them a bit chubbier (for lack of a better word) I would love to see the spritzer and suds pump made to look more modern- my spritzer is a bit on the leaky side, but I don't care because it is still useful.

The colander and Bowl set is cheesy- either redesign it to look like it's worth $30, or discontinue it. Sadly I don't have any idea how to improve it, but I saw something similar to this years ago at a Shopko and I thought it looked cheesy back- and the Shopko one was 1/3 of the price of ours.

Touch my Mini-whipper and you will be getting a visit from my Uncle Pauly, Uncle Dave, Uncle Johnny, Cousin Jimmy, and Cousin Mario...end of story :)

My list could go on and on, but I'll stop here for now. :) thanks for playing

The napkins better no go ( haha )

I've never cared for the Tiles design in our Simple Additions. The plain white and the cranberry are my favorites, and I'll admit to thinking the dots are fun for casual meals. I have not sold any of the Tiles pattern. I guess what you like is what you promote and generally sell.

I absolutely love the S&P mill and totally agree with stainless steel. I never thought about using what I also thought was a useless sandwich maker for hamburger patties. That is a great idea. The paper napkins also are useless and how about in addition to the soup bowls some escargot dishes??
Cathy

Adios Cut n' Seal, and Ice Cream Sandwich maker.

Love the soap pump concept, but want it redesigned for kitchen and bath. Current model only works about a month for me, then replace mechanism. Then dead. Have tried different dishwashing liquids/hand soaps in case that was the problem.

CookingwithMary said:
Adios Cut n' Seal, and Ice Cream Sandwich maker.

Love the soap pump concept, but want it redesigned for kitchen and bath. Current model only works about a month for me, then replace mechanism. Then dead. Have tried different dishwashing liquids/hand soaps in case that was the problem.
Do you mix the water and soap before pumping? The thicker soap at the bottom usually is what causes clogging. (I mean turn it back and forth but not shake) You also have to be careful to not put too much soap in. Using the fill lines and then mixing it well works. I have a couple of them we have used for years with absolutely no problems - and it's mostly teens using them so there's no special care there once I filled them.:rolleyes:

CookingwithMary said:
Adios Cut n' Seal.

Uhh - uhhh - you're hurting me. My kids love the Cut 'n Seal. I sell a lot of them.

BethCooks4U said:
Do you mix the water and soap before pumping?

Yup, followed directions, even trying less soap to water ratio. I bought several pumps at the same time and wondered if I got a bad lot? Or the L.A. tap water :yuck:

Thanks for the care suggestions, much appreciated.

btw, :love: the oil spritzer. No problem there.

BethCooks4U said:
Do you mix the water and soap before pumping? The thicker soap at the bottom usually is what causes clogging. (I mean turn it back and forth but not shake) You also have to be careful to not put too much soap in. Using the fill lines and then mixing it well works. I have a couple of them we have used for years with absolutely no problems - and it's mostly teens using them so there's no special care there once I filled them.:rolleyes:

Use hot water too and it will mix better. They also recommend not using soap that you can not see through.

I love my Suds Pumps! I have one at every sink in my house. It has saved me $$$$ in soap and lots of time because I don't have to clean up after my ds and dh as much. They would leave globs of soap in the sink all the time until I got these.

I love the suds pump too - just wish it were prettier.

My list of things to go:
The tile napkins
The tile pattern completely
scoop clip...unless they brought back the coffee that may people liked!
cake stencil set
Hooked on fish (probably because I do not like fish!)

Things I would like re-designed:
colander and bowl set
great ideas about the S/P shaker...no don't separate them...keep them in one unit.

Undecided about - I don't sell many if any at all, but think we should have something in our line of the quality we have:
Large Bamboo cutting board

Things I don't want to go:
Hold and slice. Hold your raw chicken or your hot chicken to cut.
And many other items too numerous to list!

dianevill said:
Uhh - uhhh - you're hurting me. My kids love the Cut 'n Seal. I sell a lot of them.

Are you doing anything special in a demo to sell them? Please share :) I'm willing to change my ways :)

I don't demo the cut and seal alot either but sell it by other people talking about it. I have had people to ask me about other uses for it. I done one show where the hostess wanted to use it for fried apple pies. Instead I got her to buy a can of Grands biscuits and a can of apple filling that you would use for topping on cheesecakes.. We rolled out each biscuit to 5 inches and spread the filling over half of it and not to the edges. Pulled the other half of the biscuit over and used the cut and seal to cut off any excess and crimp the rest. We then put these on a stone and baked them for 25 minutes or so. Everyone was amazed and I sold cut and seals, stones, rollers and spreaders.. Now when I am asked I tell them that recipe and sell more.
I use it at home for peanut butter sandwiches.
Crystal

Thanks Crystal, will dig mine out and try the pies idea :)

You can do Crystal's idea with white bread, too (Wonder works well).

I usually get the moms with "it costs about a third of what the Uncrustables does. You can make your own sandwiches with the kind of peanut butter and jelly your kids like, pop them in a baggie, and freeze."

cvaccaro said:
I absolutely love the S&P mill and totally agree with stainless steel. I never thought about using what I also thought was a useless sandwich maker for hamburger patties. That is a great idea. The paper napkins also are useless and how about in addition to the soup bowls some escargot dishes??
Cathy

Is this a big thing in Canada? Because I'm almost 100% positive I wouldn't sell any here - I've never even seen escargot for sale, and I shop every place! (I do know what it is, at least!;) But I think that the majority of my customers would stare at me blankly.)

ChefBeckyD said:
Is this a big thing in Canada? Because I'm almost 100% positive I wouldn't sell any here - I've never even seen escargot for sale, and I shop every place! (I do know what it is, at least!;) But I think that the majority of my customers would stare at me blankly.)
Not a big mover here either, although I have had it and I do like it, I'm pretty sure I'd never make it at home.

I love the make and feel of the new tools, but like the size of the older tools. I wish we had a lot of small tools like the small slotted turner, I LOVE that size. And I would love some the size of a tablespoon or two.

I would like a restyled Salt and Pepper Mill.

I have never sold a dessert plate or tile napkins. I do not think I have ever sold the dots or tiles SA. I sale the white ones.

Ice Cream sandwich maker can go.

I love the colander set too.

pamperedlinda said:
Not a big mover here either, although I have had it and I do like it, I'm pretty sure I'd never make it at home.
I had snails once...in High School on our annual choir tour a group of friends and I went to this fancy restaurant and pooled our money together and the only thing on the menu we could afford was the escargot...the entire time I was eating it I had to keep telling myself "Don't think about snails, don't think about snails"...not bad but the texture is not my style- they are a little too rubbery for me. That could be why I don't like mushrooms. Hmmmm

Kitchen Diva said:
I had snails once...in High School on our annual choir tour a group of friends and I went to this fancy restaurant and pooled our money together and the only thing on the menu we could afford was the escargot...the entire time I was eating it I had to keep telling myself "Don't think about snails, don't think about snails"...not bad but the texture is not my style- they are a little too rubbery for me. That could be why I don't like mushrooms. Hmmmm
Yeah, they are a little on the rubbery side. But the garlicy-butter sauce is to die for! Gotta have extra bread with that.

Ohhhhh... escargot! My favorite! (They sell it at Meijer... look on the upper shelves!) Not sure our customers would get it though! Whatever we get will be fabulous!!!!

I make escargots all the time. They are really cheap to buy here in the supermakets. If they are done right they are not rubbery. I don't know if the dishes would be a good seller or not. You can buy the dishes here at the dollar store. My dad even has shells for his that he uses, look cool.

Linda your right the butter sauce is very good. I also had them in a tomato based sauce when I was in France that was amazing.:chef:

I LOVE my colander and bowl set - use it for pasta, berries, and the bowls for salad and popcorn.
As for the ice cream sandwich maker - love it in the summer, fun to make cookies and sandwiches for dad, who is an ice cream hog - but messy too! My ds who is 4 likes to lick his fingers while making pop-pop presents. I haven't tried it for burgers, but I will.
The tile SA and napkins are fine to go with me. As are the new tools, I like the feel of them, but prefer the size of the old ones. I also think there are too many knife choices for customers, and many will choose cheaper over better quality.

I forget I even have the two larger parts of the colander and bowl set. I use the small colander almost daily, especially when strawberries are in season. I use the small bowl daily for my big lettuce/spinach salad.
I love the look and feel of the Chef's tools, but they do fall out of the pans because they are "handle heavy". The small slotted turner is too flimsy. I don't use my regular sized Slotted Turner. The Strainer is okay, but I think it needs to be deeper for what I would use it for. I have a really old metal strainer that is not as wide or pretty but it is deep. I like deep.
I don't like the Cut N Seal because it's not dishwasher safe and it doesn't cost enough to use in a demo.
I won't buy the PC spritzer. I have Bed Bath and Beyond stainless ones. Love them. Never had a problem with them. Get very irritated when customers bring up the problems with PC spritzers. Had Suds Pumps and gave up on those. Saved on soap but traded that for frustration. We use bar soap in the upstairs bathrooms, everyone has their won bar. They last forever. Use soap dispensers on the main floor for guests.
IMO Spoon Rest is silly, though I've sold them. Why wash a spoon rest when you can just wipe up the mess on the counter or stove? I've never understood that.
Also don't care for the Outdoor Party Plates and Utensils. Not my color and don't get why the PC is selling that stuff.
(Haven't been on in a while. Sorry for going on and on...)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPeg
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • ChefPeg
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • raebates