• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Is the Shortest Job You've Ever Had?

I was a hostess at SHOOTERS in Fort Lauderdale when I first moved down here for 8 hours. Um...no..rude people...hateful people. Seriously not a place for me. I was ready kill SOMEONE!!! Most of my jobs last a very long time..that was seriously the shortest!!!!Um...I was a hostess at SHOOTERS in Fort Lauderdale when I first moved down here for 8 hours. Um...no..rude people...hateful people. Seriously not a place for me. I was ready kill SOMEONE!!! Most of my jobs last a very long time..that was seriously the shortest!!!!
AJPratt
Silver Member
I worked for an inventory company... I found the people (my coworkers) scary. We had to meet in a vacant parking lot in the middle of the night. I did one job. Lasted three hours.

I babysat for an older couple one summer and over a 10 week period (at least 50 hours) I was left alone with their son for only one hour! And I was CPR certified at the time! Granted if they were to pay me $10 an hour cash for pretty much doing nothing, who am I to stop them :)

That pays by the hour or by the minute... J/K...

...get your minds out of the gutter people...

Oh wait, did I start that...?????

You know it's a Friday night when CS people are seriously going in the gutter :)

My shortest time was probably when I worked for a skating rink while in college. They were short handed one night and the DJ didn't show up, so they asked me to fill in. So I went home (the dorm) and grabbed all my CD's and headed back. I refused to play the stupid Chicken dance song and the owner got crappy with me, so I grabbed my CD collection and walked out on them. (Yeah, looking back now, I know that was bad......) :eek:

Probably worked for them a total of 4 weeks.

GourmetGirl said:
You know it's a Friday night when CS people are seriously going in the gutter :)

Yeah, it's been a long week....doesn't take much... :cool:

1 day. It was through a temp agency, and even though it could have been a long-term assignment, they didn't keep me because of some silly reason (which I can't remember).

chefann said:
1 day. It was through a temp agency, and even though it could have been a long-term assignment, they didn't keep me because of some silly reason (which I can't remember).

Hum.....Did you dress like Carmen Miranda?? :p :rolleyes:

I dated someone for awhile who was 4'10" so that was about the shortest...oh wait...not what you meant?Never mind.

hoosierchef said:
Hum.....Did you dress like Carmen Miranda?? :p :rolleyes:
Nooooo...... silly. I think there was some issue about the person who I would be replacing not liking me. Which is stupid, because once they trained me and left, they wouldn't have to deal with me.

For me 4 years is the shortest job I have ever had:) Working in a Pizza place when I was a teen.

chefann said:
Nooooo...... silly. I think there was some issue about the person who I would be replacing not liking me. Which is stupid, because once they trained me and left, they wouldn't have to deal with me.
Lookit that picture

She just knew you were trouble.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I dated someone for awhile who was 4'10" so that was about the shortest...oh wait...not what you meant?

Never mind.

Haha...I KNEW you were gonna say that!

It was my very first job in a bakery- I got fired:mad:
I still don't know why. I think I was 15 or 16. I was there 3 months maybe.

Um...I was a hostess at at SHOOTERS in Fort Lauderdale when I first moved down here for 8 hours. Um...no..rude people...hateful people. Seriously not a place for me. I was ready kill SOMEONE!!! Most of my jobs last a very long time..that was seriously the shortest!!!!

Jilleysue said:
Um...I was a hostess at at SHOOTERS in Fort Lauderdale when I first moved down here for 8 hours. Um...no..rude people...hateful people. Seriously not a place for me. I was ready kill SOMEONE!!! Most of my jobs last a very long time..that was seriously the shortest!!!!

SHOOTERS OR HOOTERS Jilleysue????? LOL :p

Seriously now....you can tell us the truth! :rolleyes: :D

AJPratt said:
I worked for an inventory company... I found the people (my coworkers) scary. We had to meet in a vacant parking lot in the middle of the night. I did one job. Lasted three hours.

Do ex-husbands count?????? LOL

I worked at Radio Shack for a few months in college. I'm tech-challenged. Every time someone asked me a question about a product, I'd say, "Let me get one of the guys." Feeling completely stupid several hours a day doesn't help the old ego.

I worked three days at a restaurant that was opening. they didn't have anything "together", the kitchen staff was still learning how to turn everythng on and they were opening the next week. i just didn't come back, never called or showed, anything--i know that's terrible but i just had really bad vibes.

we've gone a few times for dinner and even after 2 years of being open they still can't get things right. glad i left!

chefkristin said:
It was my very first job in a bakery- I got fired:mad:
I still don't know why. I think I was 15 or 16. I was there 3 months maybe.
I'd get fired for eating all of the profits!

AJPratt said:
I'd get fired for eating all of the profits!
Well then be careful that you don't eat all the profits at your new coffee shop!

I know! I'll probably drink them! Got to ensure quality control!

Mine was probably 2 months I didnt like the way I was being treated so I tyold them I was quiting and I called in sick the last night.

When I was 14, my 2 brothers and I got jobs at a neighboring Strawberry farm picking berries. Our first day on the job, my older brother came up behind me with a big handful of over-ripe strawberries and smashed them into my head, saying "Look Becky, now you're a strawberry blonde".....then the Strawberry War began......we all went home covered in strawberries, and were asked to not come back!:eek: That was my shortest job.:rolleyes:

I worked for BOB Stores in Enfield Ct as a Manager in training I hated it I :eek: only stayed 1 week then the went to T. J maxx as an ast manager for 9years

Anne,
does that mean the coffee shop is a go?
Teresa

Sold perfumeThere was this company that would hire you if you could speak and walk so I met all the requirements!! LOL
I was to sell perfume for like $10 a bottle or even $15 a bottle and turn in I think it was $5 to the company. Like wholesale I guess. And so I would go all around town with another girl who was my partner and sell the perfume at malls, parking lots, etc.
They would get you all riled up and encourage you at the meetings before you went out and then tried to have recognition after you got back based on your sales. I always did a good job because I sold to lots of men and young boys. But after about 1 month I wanted a real job! I got tired of peddling on the street. I was 16!

Debbie :D

6 months, Avon sucked for me! All my other jobs have been 1-12 years or more!

GourmetGirl said:

I used to go in the gutter all the time...then I learned how to bowl.

I worked 4 hours for a local writer, at lunch time I found out from a coworker that my boss doesn't pay her employees and I never returned from lunch.

I started working at a local Dairy Queen Brazier when I was 16 yrs old. 31 yrs later.....I'm still there!!! I now just keep the books, but I'm still there!

Am I the only one who has worked at the same place for 30+ yrs??

It was 1 week at a hotel as a waitress. I'd never done waitressing before and they were awful to work for, expected me to pick everything up immediately without even showing me how to hold plates etc! I left on a whim. I was in the North-East of Scotland, which is where I lived, but I grew up in Cornwall (allllll the way South-West, totally opposite). I got a letter from my old best friend who I hadn't seen for about 7 years and called up a contact and got a job on the Scilly Isles (off the coast of Cornwall) as a waitress. I used my one week's wages to pay the bus fare and off I went. The manageress was not happy that I didn't give a week's notice, but my Mum reminded me AFTER the fact that they told me to come down for a week's trial! So I shouldn't have felt bad about leaving.It was great though, I just turned up on my old friend's doorstep less than a week after she wrote the letter. She was shocked to say the least. :) And I got to live on an island with only 70 inhabitants, it was a different experience. This is where I worked http://www.stmartinshotel.co.uk/

Last edited:
I had a cashier job at a local "stop & rob" for about 4 hours. I got a better offer working in the office of a summer resort. I must have been 16 or 17.

I worked at macy's for a month an half......and got sick of sales really quick.....heheh look at me now..... got ot love it

chef_leeanne said:
I started working at a local Dairy Queen Brazier when I was 16 yrs old. 31 yrs later.....I'm still there!!! I now just keep the books, but I'm still there!

Am I the only one who has worked at the same place for 30+ yrs??

well I havent' worked someplace for 30 years... but other than Macy's I have worked for my Family since I was 15 years old......... so lets see here that is 13years

mommyhugz1978 said:
well I havent' worked someplace for 30 years... /QUOTE]

You couldn't have worked anywhere for over 30 years yet! You're barely over 20!! hehehe:D :D

ok hijack time

Have you talked to the possible new consultant from the Seaside Bridal Fair?

Tree said:
mommyhugz1978 said:
well I havent' worked someplace for 30 years... /QUOTE]You couldn't have worked anywhere for over 30 years yet! You're barely over 20!! hehehe:D :D ok hijack timeHave you talked to the possible new consultant from the Seaside Bridal Fair?
I havent' got a hold of her (meaning she isnt answering her phone but I will keep trying)... But the show that I booked.... she is considering becoming a consultant....... HOLY COW....... :D kind of hard to work someplace for 30 years..... when your only 29...hehehe I would have had to start working at age 1 or something like that hehehehe hijack time.... hehe

mommyhugz1978 said:
Tree said:
I havent' got a hold of her (meaning she isnt answering her phone but I will keep trying)... But the show that I booked.... she is considering becoming a consultant....... hehehehe hijack time.... hehe

Great!!!!!

I am so happy tonight. It is my last night at my graveyard shift job!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) Back to the real world working M-F, 8-5. I will even be able to ride to work with my husband. Oh ya I'll have to get used to sleeping in the bed at the same time with him. It's been a little over a year on this awful shift.

Tree said:
mommyhugz1978 said:
Great!!!!!

I am so happy tonight. It is my last night at my graveyard shift job!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) Back to the real world working M-F, 8-5. I will even be able to ride to work with my husband. Oh ya I'll have to get used to sleeping in the bed at the same time with him. It's been a little over a year on this awful shift.

But the benefits are wonderful... maybe you should get one of those catalogs from pure romance.... hehehe :p Dave and I laughed for an hour over some of that stuff.....

mommyhugz1978 said:
Tree said:
But the benefits are wonderful... maybe you should get one of those catalogs from pure romance.... hehehe :p Dave and I laughed for an hour over some of that stuff.....

Uhmmm... I already have a consultant who emails me the specials!!!

Unfortunatly I will be away from home for the first week for training. Sunday night at mom's in Portland, and then the next 4 nights at my cousin's house in Salem. I'm just staying at their houses because they live closer to where the actual training will be taking place. Less driving than if I stayed home on the coast.

Tree said:
mommyhugz1978 said:
Uhmmm... I already have a consultant who emails me the specials!!!

Unfortunatly I will be away from home for the first week for training. Sunday night at mom's in Portland, and then the next 4 nights at my cousin's house in Salem. I'm just staying at their houses because they live closer to where the actual training will be taking place. Less driving than if I stayed home on the coast.

At least you wont' be working grave yards anymore..... what do your co-workers says ? or hav ethey not said anything?

mommyhugz1978 said:
Tree said:
At least you wont' be working grave yards anymore..... what do your co-workers says ? or hav ethey not said anything?

Not much. When they start talking about all the drama that goes on here, and there is a lot! I just smile and say "I don't care":D

Only 6 more hours to go!!!!

Tree said:
mommyhugz1978 said:
Not much. When they start talking about all the drama that goes on here, and there is a lot! I just smile and say "I don't care":D

Only 6 more hours to go!!!!

Have they said anything about you leaving??? let the count down begin.... :D!!!

mommyhugz1978 said:
Tree said:
Have they said anything about you leaving??? let the count down begin.... :D!!!

Nope, and I don't really care either. I haven't gotten very close to anyone here as I am by myself all the time. I just see them when I come to work and when I leave. And soon to leave for the last time.:D :D

Tree said:
mommyhugz1978 said:
Nope, and I don't really care either. I haven't gotten very close to anyone here as I am by myself all the time. I just see them when I come to work and when I leave. And soon to leave for the last time.:D :D

Have you and your Dh done anything to celerbrate your new job? How are your contact leads coming from the bridal fair?

mommyhugz1978 said:
Tree said:
Have you and your Dh done anything to celerbrate your new job? How are your contact leads coming from the bridal fair?

We will when I get back from training. I've been working this crummy job at night and sleeping during the day.

I honestly haven't called them yet. I'm going to bring them with me and make those calls while at moms or my cousins. I do need to get on them. Oh I had my show that Margaret gave me, I'm closing it on Sunday. Can you believe that I forgot the pizza dough and I was making the Aloha Pizza!!!!:eek: :eek: One of the guests went to the store and got some and I just went over my flip chart and all the new products that I brought with me. It is over $200 right now and one booking for May because she is the birth coach of one of the other guests and she is due in April:p

What are you doing up at this hour girl?:p I know I'm up because I'm at work.

Tree said:
mommyhugz1978 said:
We will when I get back from training. I've been working this crummy job at night and sleeping during the day.

I honestly haven't called them yet. I'm going to bring them with me and make those calls while at moms or my cousins. I do need to get on them. Oh I had my show that Margaret gave me, I'm closing it on Sunday. Can you believe that I forgot the pizza dough and I was making the Aloha Pizza!!!!:eek: :eek: One of the guests went to the store and got some and I just went over my flip chart and all the new products that I brought with me. It is over $200 right now and one booking for May because she is the birth coach of one of the other guests and she is due in April:p

What are you doing up at this hour girl?:p I know I'm up because I'm at work.

We got home from PDX an hour ago..... or so... from my Father inlaws b-day party... everything was fine until we started into Astoria and my car started spitting, spuddering,hestiating,and acting like it had NO power...... AUG!!!

mommyhugz1978 said:
Tree said:
We got home from PDX an hour ago..... or so... from my Father inlaws b-day party... everything was fine until we started into Astoria and my car started spitting, spuddering,hestiating,and acting like it had NO power...... AUG!!!

Now you know what I do all night at this crummy job. I read CS and post sometimes.

Though I am heading to bed now... but I will talk to you later...... enjoy your last night of grave yard.....hehehe nite

<h2>1. What was the shortest job you've ever had?</h2><p>The shortest job I've ever had was working for an inventory company. I only did one job and it lasted for three hours.</p><h2>2. What was your role at the inventory company?</h2><p>I was hired as a temporary worker to assist with inventory counting and tracking.</p><h2>3. Why did you only work for three hours?</h2><p>I only worked for three hours because I found my coworkers to be scary and the work environment made me uncomfortable.</p><h2>4. What was the work environment like?</h2><p>The work environment was not ideal. We had to meet in a vacant parking lot in the middle of the night, which added to the discomfort and unease I felt working for the company.</p><h2>5. Did you have any prior experience in inventory or similar work?</h2><p>No, I did not have any prior experience in inventory or similar work. This was my first and only job with an inventory company.</p>

1. What was the shortest job you've ever had?

The shortest job I've ever had was working for an inventory company. I only did one job and it lasted for three hours.

2. What was your role at the inventory company?

I was hired as a temporary worker to assist with inventory counting and tracking.

3. Why did you only work for three hours?

I only worked for three hours because I found my coworkers to be scary and the work environment made me uncomfortable.

4. What was the work environment like?

The work environment was not ideal. We had to meet in a vacant parking lot in the middle of the night, which added to the discomfort and unease I felt working for the company.

5. Did you have any prior experience in inventory or similar work?

No, I did not have any prior experience in inventory or similar work. This was my first and only job with an inventory company.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smspamperedchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jbachen
Replies
Views
CookinWithLynda
  • pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies