• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Conflict of Interest in Job Interviews as a Graphic Designer

In summary, Rae is worried that if she gets a job with a company that sells Kitchen gadgets, her employer may see that she has a personal connection to the company and disqualify her. She is also worried that if she becomes a consultant for the company, it could be seen as a conflict of interest. However, Rae is optimistic that she can still have a career with the company if she is transparent about her PC connection.
cookingwithdot
Gold Member
:confused: Just wanted to share and see what you guys think ... So, 15 months ago, I was laid off from my job as a graphic designer. Since then, I have sent out MANY resumes! And have only had a handful of interviews. :( Well, last week, I had a great interview and the job sounds perfect! BUT, they are a wholesale manufacturer of kitchen gadgets!!! I have looked and looked through our stuff, but I couldn't find any info about it being a conflict of interest. I'm assuming I would have to give up PC if I get the job ... I can't imagine the company I work for wanting me selling a different brand of product ... :( I was also worried that when they run my SS#, they will see PC and automatically disqualify me. I hope not! I should know something by the end of this week.

Well, good luck with the job. As far as being a consultant and working for this company, I don't see it as a conflict. To me, it would be no different than working at Macy's (that sells Macy's cookware, etc) and being a consultant. I don't know how they would run your SS# and see that you're a PC consultant. The education from both may benefit both. Does your resume have PC consultant on it?

It probably isn't an issue. However, if you didn't list PC on your resume or application and they find out about it later, they might feel that you lied. After all, most applications ask for all employment in the past few years.

Good luck on the job. The market is tough, but I am glad to hear you are finally having some options.

No, PC is not on my resume because I don't work for them & my resume reflects my design career. I am also working part time at a gym right now & it's not on my resume either. I had to give them my SS# because they are running a background check, I guess. Rae, I thought the same thing - I don't want them to think I am being dishonest. If it is a conflict of interest, I would be willing to give up PC for a full time, consistent job doing what I love! I enjoy PC, but it is not my whole life. :) I too thought my PC experience could benefit them ...

It wouldn't necessarily have to be on your resume. A lot of people leave things off their resume that don't apply to the position they're applying for. However, my background is personnel, and most companies would expect a paid consultancy to be listed as employment history on an application.

Just my two cents... Wait until they make you an official offer to tell them about PC. Have some wording worked out ahead of time along the lines of "is it going to be a problem or conflict of interest that I have a hobby as a Pampered Chef consultant?" No use giving them a reason not to make you an offer in the first place. As you already decided you can give up PC if needed and rejoin our ranks as a great host. Fingers are crossed that the offer comes through for you.

Thanks, Becca. :) I was thinking the same thing! :)

1. What is a conflict of interest?

A conflict of interest refers to a situation in which an individual or organization has competing interests or loyalties that may potentially influence their decision-making or actions. It can occur when someone has a personal or financial interest that may interfere with their ability to act in the best interest of their employer or clients.

2. How do I know if I have a conflict of interest?

If you are unsure whether you have a conflict of interest, it is best to disclose any potential conflicts to your employer. Some common indicators of a conflict of interest include having a financial stake in a competing business, receiving gifts or favors from clients, or having a personal relationship with someone who may benefit from your actions.

3. What should I do if I have a conflict of interest?

If you have a conflict of interest, it is important to disclose it to your employer and seek guidance on how to handle the situation. In some cases, you may need to recuse yourself from decision-making or take steps to remove any potential bias. It is always best to be transparent and address the conflict before it becomes a problem.

4. Can a conflict of interest be avoided?

While it is not always possible to avoid conflicts of interest, there are steps that can be taken to minimize their impact. This may include establishing clear policies and procedures for handling conflicts, disclosing potential conflicts to all parties involved, and seeking guidance from a neutral third party when necessary.

5. What are the consequences of not disclosing a conflict of interest?

Failing to disclose a conflict of interest can have serious consequences, both personally and professionally. It can damage your reputation, lead to legal issues, and harm the trust and relationships you have with your employer and clients. It is always better to be upfront and address any potential conflicts before they become a problem.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PamperedDor
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat