• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the cost of mailing a host packet?

In summary, the conversation discussed the cost of mailing host packets and different methods used by consultants. Some consultants use regular mail with prepaid stamps, while others use flat rate priority envelopes purchased from USPS. The flat rate envelope includes delivery confirmation and has no weight limit. Some consultants also mentioned that using media mail for marketing materials may not be allowed and can result in longer delivery times. Overall, the conversation provided helpful tips for consultants looking to save time and money when mailing host packets.
chefpelkey
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what it costs you to mail your host packets. I went to mail one today and included the following:

Pack of invites
Thanks host letter
rec. brochure
3 catalogs
5 OOFs
guest and host special
Kit special

This came to $4.80 regular mail. I wanted to put all of my contents in a nice 2 pocket folder with sheet protectors but my envelope was too small
(9" X 12") So, now I'm thinking that to do a nice presentation of materials it may cost me closer to $10.00 Yikes!

Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Renee

$4.80 for me to use the prepaid flat rate stamp with envelope! I jam pack it with info!

I mail my packets for $2.

In it I include:
2 catalogs
Show Planner
6 OOF
Guest & Host Specials
Intro Letter
30 invites
Recruiting Brochure.

I just write "Bound and Printed Matter" on the front of the envelope and put 2 $1 stamps on it and stick it in a mail drop box.

I use the flat rate priority envelopes and buy the postage on line through the usps.com click-N-ship. I leave it in my mailbox and my carrier picks it up. Saves me time, money, and gas.Bound Printed Matter is a "space available" service and can often take much longer to be delivered. Not to mention that you have things in there that violate the BPM guidelines.

I go with the flat rate envelope. I can put as much in it as I want and it's the same price!

Yeah, I have to do the flat rate env, too. My post office said I couldn't do the bound printed thing.

DebbieJ said:
Not to mention that you have things in there that violate the BPM guidelines.

What is included that violates it??

A letter...

Hmmm... it's not a formal "letter" ... it's more of an instructional sheet...

Well, I'll have to look into it. I haven't had any problems so far...

coriatc said:
Hmmm... it's not a formal "letter" ... it's more of an instructional sheet...

Well, I'll have to look into it. I haven't had any problems so far...

You won't until someone notices the package and asks what is in it! What I was told at my PO is that since it was marketing materials, etc., that it did not count as media mail. And, as Deb said, with media mail, you never know when it will get to the recipient.

With the flate rate priority mail envelopes, delivery confirmation is included in the price - as is the cost of the envelope - and there is no weigh limit. If it can fit in the envelope, you can send it.

I use a two pocket folder for my host packets. It goes in a Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope. I use stamps.com and just place it in my mail box.

ljeffries said:
You won't until someone notices the package and asks what is in it! What I was told at my PO is that since it was marketing materials, etc., that it did not count as media mail. And, as Deb said, with media mail, you never know when it will get to the recipient.

With the flate rate priority mail envelopes, delivery confirmation is included in the price - as is the cost of the envelope - and there is no weigh limit. If it can fit in the envelope, you can send it.

Exactly what I was going to say. The thing that they wouldn't allow to be in there was the invitations. Even though they weren't filled out they could not be in there for media mail. Then later they said the catalog couldn't be media either.

I need to pick up some flat rate envelopes - I didn't realize delivery confirmation was included. I've been putting the packet in a regular 9x12.

And, by the way, if you use a 10x 13 there's a higher shipping rate for that too.

Oh, and media is sent AFTER parcel post and after a parcel post package took over a month to get to someone I don't ship that way at all. I don't trust my packets to go by slow boat either.

Thanks everyone and not to sound like a complete idiot but what is this "flat rate priority envelope"? Where do I get this and should I purchase stamps online? Or, should I be getting this from my post office. Why don't they tell you these things!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to ask silly questions but if someone could just spell it all out for me that would be great! I'm just not good at these types of things!

Renee

you can get the flat rate envelope from usps.com and your postman (woman) will drop them off at your house and you can purchase the stamps there as well so you can just ship from home.

I just have to weigh in. I was so upset after going to the PO today! Everytime I go they tell me something different!!! They used to let me do bound printed, which was around $2 per packet. A few months ago, they told me BP didn't exsit any more and so now they would go media mail even though it's not "books". Today the lady was really rude and insisted on the higher 4.80 per packet. I had 4 and not to sound cheap, but our budget is pretty tight right now and I really didn't want to spend the extra $ when I've been used to getting them sent for $2. Never had any trouble with a host getting a packet for the cheaper rate.

The idea of not having to even go to the PO is appealing. Might have to try the one rate envelope and just do it from home.

The $4.80 Priority does not include confirmation. That is an additional $.65. At least that is what is charged at my Post Office.

if you print with click-n-ship with usps.com then the delivery confirmation is free with priority mail, and the price drops down to $4.75 (pretty sure) Then you can always have free pick up from your carrier(priority mail package and any other letters with stamps.
If you take it to the post office then it makes it an add on for delivery confirmation.

Jess_K said:
if you print with click-n-ship with usps.com then the delivery confirmation is free with priority mail, and the price drops down to $4.75 (pretty sure) Then you can always have free pick up from your carrier(priority mail package and any other letters with stamps.
If you take it to the post office then it makes it an add on for delivery confirmation.

I also use click-n-ship and it's great!

can some kind soul walk me thru click-n-ship?? I have seen others chat about this and would love to do it myself~anytime I go to the USPS website, I get very overwhelmed with all of the choices and for some reason, I wind up nowhere near where I want to be~

Meg, I don't know how friendly you are with your local postmaster, but that might be the best place to turn concerning click-n-ship. Mine walked me through the whole process. She loves that I use it so regularly.

It is cheaper with click and ship - and delivery confirmation IS included with the Priority Flat Rate envelope. Plus - you get the discount of 5 cents.
I like being able to order the envelopes (FREE) online and have them delivered to my house - and to be able to print the postage at home and not have to go to the post office! PLUS - they are giving you a discount for doing it at home.

now there is an idea~and someone to add to my contact list, Rae!

Did she come in to your house and show you on the computer???? My former mailman was a crotchity old dude that barely slowed down to put the mail in the box, so I am glad we now have a younger lady...sounds like I need to leave a note for her!

I'm always in the little post office in Mexico, IN. The Post Master there actually took me behind the counter and walked me through doing a shipping label on her computer. As you probably found out, there are several steps. She's become a friend, a host, and a good customer. ;)

ChefLisa said:
The $4.80 Priority does not include confirmation. That is an additional $.65. At least that is what is charged at my Post Office.

I went to a locally owned shipping store today to mail a host packet and it was $4.80 and she emailed me a tracking number. I know at the PO they charge extra for this so it is nice that I can go to this local shop which is closer and I dont have to deal with the lines at the PO and I get this added service! :D

wow I just tried the click n ship! Its great! I can't believe I didn't think of this before! I love this website! I am doing a lot of catalog show b/c i have a 3 month old and I want to get qualified, this will save me tons!

I find it saves time and money.

BethCooks4U said:
I need to pick up some flat rate envelopes - I didn't realize delivery confirmation was included. I've been putting the packet in a regular 9x12.

Beth, you can order the flat rate envelopes on USPS.com for free. They will deliver them to your house.

chefmeg said:
can some kind soul walk me thru click-n-ship?? I have seen others chat about this and would love to do it myself~anytime I go to the USPS website, I get very overwhelmed with all of the choices and for some reason, I wind up nowhere near where I want to be~

Go to usps.com

half way down on the left side Print Postage has a link for click-n-ship

Right hand side of the page...you need to register (create a screen name and password, etc.) Once that is done, the next time you will just need to go to click-n-ship and then "sign in" using that screen name and password

I love, love, love this! It doesn't cost a thing (Stamps.com has a monthly fee...dont' go pay for this service!) and you can order stamps, flat rate envies, etc and they will deliver them! If you order postage, they only charge you $1 to ship...no matter how much you order. That's less than the gas to the post office!

**BTW- last year my postal lady (who is VERY NICE and used to pick up my flat rate envies from my mailbox) said that she CAN NOT DO THAT anymore with just generic postage on them. The only way she can do this (if it's more than a pound...which ours would be....) is if I print out the label using the click and ship. This way, they can "track" who sent the package. So...if I am a terrorist and mail something bad, they know where I live... Otherwise, I would need to GO INTO THE POST OFFICE so they could "see" who was sending it...

I bought myself a postal scale at walmart ($20 or so) and now I mail everything from home!

Meg...if this doesn't help...call me! I will walk you through it while you are on your computer!!

BTW- to answer the orginal question...I try to give out the catalogs and guest list stuff AT THE SHOW WHERE I BOOK THEM. This way, the rest of the stuff I send can all fit into a business sized envie with just one stamp. (Planner, host benefits, host and guest specials, OOF's) I mail out their invites...so I dont' need to mail a pack of postcards.

What sort of labels do you need to buy in order to print the postage?

Paula R. Lewis said:
What sort of labels do you need to buy in order to print the postage?

You don't need to buy any. I print on regular paper then use packing tape or sometimes even scotch tape to tape it onto the envelope.

Another option altogether is to host-coach in person...give them the host packet and go through it with them over a cup of coffee- I am confident it has made both my attendance and recruiting go up! (As long as they aren't too far away, it also cuts the mailing costs)

KellyTheChef said:
I love, love, love this! It doesn't cost a thing (Stamps.com has a monthly fee...dont' go pay for this service!)

Kelly, you are right Stamps.com does cost $15.99 a month. I opted to pay for the service becuase I can print any type of postage not just Priority Mail and higher (which is all you can do with USPS Click N Ship.) I was having problems getting post card stamps (I mail the invites for my host) from the machines at my Post Office and I was going there all the time. I work full time so I couldn't go to the Post Office when it was open. Now all I do it print my stamps from home and drop in my mail box. I like being able to print my stamps right away. One thing I like to splurge on for my business and it is a tax write off. :chef:

**BTW- last year my postal lady (who is VERY NICE and used to pick up my flat rate envies from my mailbox) said that she CAN NOT DO THAT anymore with just generic postage on them. The only way she can do this (if it's more than a pound...which ours would be....) is if I print out the label using the click and ship. This way, they can "track" who sent the package. So...if I am a terrorist and mail something bad, they know where I live... Otherwise, I would need to GO INTO THE POST OFFICE so they could "see" who was sending it...

So the Click n Ship takes care of that problem? That would be wonderful! I have been going into the post office to mail things because I was told that if it was over a pound and I didn't come in they would refuse to deliver it and actually send it back to me. I thought that was too much of a nightmare, especially since I usually push the envelope on getting things to my hosts on time any way! Oh, Kelly! What freedom that would bring me!!
:sing: :sing: :sing:

Yes, if you print the Postage off USPS, use a Postage meter, or a service like Stamps.com you can mail it from home and it won't get returned.

jcsmilez said:
So the Click n Ship takes care of that problem? That would be wonderful! I have been going into the post office to mail things because I was told that if it was over a pound and I didn't come in they would refuse to deliver it and actually send it back to me. I thought that was too much of a nightmare, especially since I usually push the envelope on getting things to my hosts on time any way! Oh, Kelly! What freedom that would bring me!!
:sing: :sing: :sing:

Yep! Their whole reasoning behind this new rule is because of people sending bombs and stuff via the mail. Since you are printing the postage from your home, your address is right on there, and they pick it up from your mail box. This way, they are protecting others cuz they KNOW where it came from and WHO it came from. It DOES still ask how much it weighs, though...so a postal scale is still a good idea. (Even if it's the flat rate envie...it doesn't change the postage amount, but they still want to know the weight.)

I soooooooo love not going to the post office!

DebbieJ said:
You don't need to buy any. I print on regular paper then use packing tape or sometimes even scotch tape to tape it onto the envelope.

Yep...regular paper and packing tape for me, too!

I have to agree with Kelly... I LOVE not going to the Post Office!

The sign at our post office says the weight cut-off for home pickup (using 'regular' stamps) is now 13 oz instead of 16.

KellyTheChef said:
Go to usps.com

Meg...if this doesn't help...call me! I will walk you through it while you are on your computer!!

I did it! Gonna try this next week with mailing September Host packets! I can't wait to not have to deal with the PO! Thanks Kelly!

chefmeg said:
I did it! Gonna try this next week with mailing September Host packets! I can't wait to not have to deal with the PO! Thanks Kelly!

Glad I could help!!

I was sooooooooo happy when I figured out I could do all of that from my HOUSE and not have to go to the PO!! They are pretty darn quick at shipping out any postage that you order, too. I normally have whatever I ordered within 3-5 business days...

heather223 said:
Kelly, you are right Stamps.com does cost $15.99 a month. I opted to pay for the service becuase I can print any type of postage not just Priority Mail and higher (which is all you can do with USPS Click N Ship.) I was having problems getting post card stamps (I mail the invites for my host) from the machines at my Post Office and I was going there all the time. I work full time so I couldn't go to the Post Office when it was open. Now all I do it print my stamps from home and drop in my mail box. I like being able to print my stamps right away. One thing I like to splurge on for my business and it is a tax write off. :chef:

You can order stamps online at usps.com and have them shipped to your house for $1. With a postage scale, click N ship, and a good supply of stamps (ordered online), a service like stamps.com (and the cost) is just not necessary IMHO.

1. What is the cost of mailing a host packet?

The cost of mailing a host packet will vary depending on the contents of the packet and the mailing method used. Typically, it can range from $4-10.

2. What items are usually included in a host packet?

A host packet usually includes a pack of invitations, a thank you letter to the host, a recipe brochure, catalogs, order forms, and any current specials or promotions.

3. Can I customize the contents of my host packet?

Yes, you can customize the contents of your host packet to fit your specific needs and preferences. You may choose to include additional materials or exclude certain items depending on your host's preferences.

4. Is it necessary to use a 2 pocket folder and sheet protectors for my host packet?

Using a 2 pocket folder and sheet protectors for your host packet is not necessary, but it can make for a more professional and organized presentation. However, this may increase the cost of mailing the packet.

5. Are there any alternative methods for delivering a host packet?

Yes, instead of mailing a physical host packet, you can also choose to send a digital version via email or through a file sharing platform. This can save on mailing costs and also be more convenient for both you and your host.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rbergwrightchef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • ampirolli
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
ampirolli
  • chefmoseley