• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the best advice for a first-timer attending a conference?

In summary, when attending a conference for the first time, be sure to bring snacks, a sweater, and comfortable shoes. Pack business cards to hand out and plenty of paper and a highlighter to take notes and prioritize ideas. Don't try to plan everything at once, but instead discuss and process with others. Take the time to talk to everyone and step out of your comfort zone. Remember to have fun and not worry about what's happening at home. Other helpful tips include bringing a notebook and pens, exchanging business cards, and keeping a bag of toiletries packed. Finally, consider bringing address labels and stamps for sending out mini-catalogs to potential hosts.
AJPratt
Silver Member
advice you would give to a First Timer going to conference? What is the thing you wish you had taken to conference or the thing you wish you had done at conference?

BRING SNACKS!!!! Pack a bunch of snacks tohave in your tote with you because you'll get hungry and the snacks they sell there are expensive and icky. Bring a sweater - the conference rooms get COLD...and wear VERY comfy shoes - you'll be walking for what seems like miles.

Wear comfy shoes!! I tried to look cute in brand new shoes my first year and ended up with blistered swollen feet. Rookie mistake! Bring tons of business cards to hand out to other consultants--for tips and such.

(Carolyn--I remember them having FREE snacks at a table outside of the classrooms. I may be confused -- with Leadership, but I swear it was at National conference also. They had granola bars, candy bars, chips and pop/water)

Bring lots of paper to jot down notes. And a highlighter. As you're taking tons of notes and getting lots of ideas, you'll be so overwhelmed and not know what to implement first in your business when you get home. At the end of each day, I go through and highlight the top 3 ideas that I might want to try in my business. Then you at least have a starting point to start to identify the top three things out of all you learned that you want to implement.

Don't try to figure out everything you hear and come up with a plan right away. Just absorb as much as you can and process everything with your fellow cluster-mates. Don't worry about being overwhelmed....EVERYONE goes through that!:D

Here's a couple of lists someone on another board posted this time last year. Hope they help! :)

Attachments

• List.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 552
  • conference tips.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 479
I second the sweater recommendation and the snacks recommendation. Last year at conference, they had water only--no free snacks.

DebbieJ said:
I second the sweater recommendation and the snacks recommendation. Last year at conference, they had water only--no free snacks.
...and boy did I drink A LOT of water - LOL

My advise is to talk to EVERYONE! What amazed me was there were so many different kinds of people there. It shows you that anyone can do this! If you're kind of shy-you have to step out of your comfort zone. I learned so much last year just talking to complete strangers! I sat next to someone I didn't know on the HO tour, so we had lots of time to chat to & from the HO. It was great. Sit next to people you don't know in the classes too.
Take business cards too, I forgot to take mine on the HO tour, & they had everyone leave one on Doris' desk! I thought that was neat.
Like the others said, comfy shoes-comfy clothes for that matter too!
And, most important, have fun:D Don't worry about what's going on at home!

This is awesome! I hope others find it useful!

Jodi: Thanks for the lists! :D

Bring a notebook and pens. AND business cards to exchange. I also second the sweater.

Beth: I have to say I'm a little disappointed that you are in Wave 3. I was really hoping to meet you!

Wow - what great ideas!

Thanks so much to everyone!

Rhonda B.
Wave 3

Great ideasThanks for posting that.

It'll help when i'm packing the night before I leave (procrastinator):eek:

Jennie

I have not been to conference, but I travel a lot as a meeting planner. I keep a bag of toiletries packed at all times (the small travel sizes) and just check to make sure all the bottles are full before I leave. Then I just throw it in my suitcase and I am ready to go.

I also recomend the sweater (as I am sitting in a meeting room right now FREEZING - and I even have the "power" to ask them to turn it down!)

If your feet get to aching when at the meeting, take acetemetaphine, or any ani-infmalmatory pain medicine before you go to bed and that will help you to walk again in the morning. You can also stick your feet in ice water and the pain will subside - although you have to be very brave to do it. Just throw some ice and a bit of water in the bath tub and dunk 'em!

Have fun!

Bring address labels with potential hosts' names/addresses and stamps to send out mini-catalogs right from Chicago!

Mary

AJPratt said:
Beth: I have to say I'm a little disappointed that you are in Wave 3. I was really hoping to meet you!

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah - I get to meet her!!
Oops, sorry, that was terribly immature.
;)

Very funny!:p

dannyzmom said:
Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah - I get to meet her!!
Oops, sorry, that was terribly immature.
;)

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah - I ALREADY met her!! :D

This acting immature bit is kind of fun!! :p *giggle, giggle*

Lee Anne

:p You guys are aweful!:eek:

Last edited:
We just can't help it!

Just thought I'd bump this since we're close to NC! Has some good advice & even reminders for the rest of us!

AY YI YI! It's getting too close! In 2 weeks I'll actually be IN Chicago!!!!!!

(And I still don't have any clothes to wear! UGH!)

Ok, that brings up a good piece of advice! Pack clothes! Don't forget the underwear! ;)

Bring a ROLLING backpack or briefcase. It really wore me down last time lugging my shoulder bag. A water bottle, snacks, notepads and pens get heavy after walking the length of McCormic for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time in one day!

Bring a smaller suitcase inside of your main one so you can distribute the weight and be able to bring back what you buy.Have a sturdy (nalgene type) water bottle with you with a wide mouth so you can fill it with ice in the morning from the hotel.Find people with lots of ribbons on their nametags and introduce yourself to them. Ask if you can ask one burning question and get their answer - and possibly contact info.Have a burning question or a part of your business that you want to work on.Don't be shy!

Talk to everyone... break out of your comfort zone and meet other consultants. Last year was my first year, and first conference, and I met so many nice consultants from all over, all so willing to share advice and ideas.

I am in the minority on snacks, all I need is a bottle of water, and maybe an apple and I am good to go. I am to busy talking to eat!!

Mystery boxes!! I love this idea. Last year being my first time, I had no idea what they were and was all alone. I walked up to a group of women, from the south I believe (can't forget the accents) and asked what all the fuss was about. They were all so gracious and friendly, one took me by the arm and said, "oh honey, it's the mystery boxes. You absolutely must get one!" And she took me over, explained the process and then back to her group to open mine. They all oohed and ahhed over what I had, and then proceeded to help me swap. It was a blast. I sure hope they have these again.

Ship everything you can home.. why carry it around when for a few dollars Fed Ex will have it at your door, maybe before you are. This includes mystery boxes, supplies, etc. And on the subject of carting things around: pare down your purses/handbags. I only carry a small bag, and it gets put inside my tote. Big enough for wallet, lipstick, kleenex, 1 tampon (you never know), motrin, phone, and some mini catalogs and business cards.

Again, don't be shy, meet new people and enjoy yourself.

If you buy any supplies at Conference BEFORE you buy the mystery boxes, they will let you put the supplies in the boxes to be shipped home as long as they fit in the box! It's a great thing to do so you won't have to lug heavy paperwork home! Let FEDEX do the work for you!

janetupnorth said:
Ok, that brings up a good piece of advice! Pack clothes! Don't forget the underwear! ;)

ROFL!!!!! cute ;)

These pieces of advice are all great! Another tip is to be sure to bring several one dollar bills!! There were several times I needed "tip" money, and didn't come as prepared as I should have my first Conference.
One dollar bills are needed for train tickets, tips for people handling your luggage, taxi drivers, etc. And if you don't use it for tips, it's not like you can't use it somewhere else, but it sure is nice to have some ones and not all tens and twenties!!

Paula

I just went to the lake--a few days before a family trip attached to my flight to Conference. What do you think I forgot to take to the lake????? Underwear and Coffee. Oh my goodness. Don't let this happen to you. I had to wear my no butt husband's underwear while mine where washing. Not good!! Don't forget underwear. TMI right?

finley1991 said:
If you buy any supplies at Conference BEFORE you buy the mystery boxes, they will let you put the supplies in the boxes to be shipped home as long as they fit in the box! It's a great thing to do so you won't have to lug heavy paperwork home! Let FEDEX do the work for you!
Do they have a flat-rate shipping charge or is it by weight?

Hi Sharon,

I am from Fort Worth, Texas. Now in Allen. Where are you in Ft. Worth?

I believe it is by the weight. I usually keep a couple of the paperwork items to mail to certain customers and mail the rest home for later use. I would time my purchases around when I did the Surprise Pack so I could mail right away.

I am not sure if I have seen this on this thread but one time I saw a suggestion of bringing a few self addressed stamped envelopes and when you are in a workshop where you would love for them to send you something. Write what you would like them to send you on the back and hand it to them after the workshop.

I can't believe it is a week away and I am can't sleep tonight!

chefjwr said:
I just went to the lake--a few days before a family trip attached to my flight to Conference. What do you think I forgot to take to the lake????? Underwear and Coffee. Oh my goodness. Don't let this happen to you. I had to wear my no butt husband's underwear while mine where washing. Not good!! Don't forget underwear. TMI right?

No COFFEE!!! :eek: Oh, didn't you just want to die???

No underwear - well, you came into the world without those ... you just have to watch out for zippers. But no coffee??

We are all assuming that FEd-Ex will be there to mail things home like UPS did - but has anyone heard for sure that they will actually do that?

Yes, Sandy it is true NO COFFEE. I was on the verge of falling asleep all the time--no ideas no brilliant thoughts. I am needing to get it together to pack because I leave for a family reunion tomorrow a.m. and needed to be thinking and planning but all I wanted to do was sleep. We stopped on our way home from the lake at a small lake store and I went in searching for COFFEE. The lady there said "Why do you need it? Did you stay up half the night?" Where are these people from--don't they drink coffee? I ended up with some hot choc out of a machine thing. Torture. I couldn't drink it. It tasted strongly of metal. Then we passed the Burger King and I remembered they have a new iced BK Mocha Coffee drink. The whole family sat in a very slow drive thru line. I got it and began drinking it and soon I began to see color again. I am home this morning and I will be drinking coffee and not worrying about underwear. I sure wont' be forgetting to pack underwear. I am not as well located at Conference for coffee since my room reservation went askew. I was at the Hilton and there is a Starbucks there not I am at the Sheraton and not so sure. If I go to the Workshops with no coffee--it will all be lost on me.

ChefBeckyD said:
We are all assuming that FEd-Ex will be there to mail things home like UPS did - but has anyone heard for sure that they will actually do that?

Yes, Fed Ex will be there.

chefjwr said:
I was at the Hilton and there is a Starbucks there not I am at the Sheraton and not so sure. If I go to the Workshops with no coffee--it will all be lost on me.

I'm sure you will have a coffee shop near the Sheraton. Otherwise, there's a Starbucks in McCormick right near the theatre where we have general session and I believe there is one in the south buildings where many of the workshops will be. Not to worry!

Here is more advice!!..... The last night before you leave, don't spend it packing!! Get that done either the day before or at least the morning before and the reason for this is that you need to SLEEP!!! :D :D The one bit of advice my old senior director would tell me is sleep before you come because once you are in Chicago, we get very little sleep and then we get cranky and she was right! My first time I went, I came sick with strep throat, had my antibiotics and was no longer contagious, but I was inhaling advil to feel okay! I ended up exhausted and ready to hurt everyone the last night! Plus it was so freakin homesick! It was the first time I had ever been away from my kids! My daughter was just barely a year old!
And so now I've tried to remember every year to be ready and sleep the night before! You truely are busy and on a crazy schedule!:eek: ;)

MissChef said:
Here is more advice!!..... The last night before you leave, don't spend it packing!! Get that done either the day before or at least the morning before and the reason for this is that you need to SLEEP!!! :D :D The one bit of advice my old senior director would tell me is sleep before you come because once you are in Chicago, we get very little sleep and then we get cranky and she was right! My first time I went, I came sick with strep throat, had my antibiotics and was no longer contagious, but I was inhaling advil to feel okay! I ended up exhausted and ready to hurt everyone the last night! Plus it was so freakin homesick! It was the first time I had ever been away from my kids! My daughter was just barely a year old!
And so now I've tried to remember every year to be ready and sleep the night before! You truely are busy and on a crazy schedule!:eek: ;)

I usually too excited to get much sleep the night before we leave! I keep waking up and checking the clock to make sure I haven't overslept!:eek: :D

OH BOY am I ever excited here about conference!!!!! I can't wait.... I have to start doing laundry today and organizing my clothes that I want to bring.. speaking of which I think I need to go shopping too!!!

I'm having trouble sleeping NOW ... I can't imagine what the night before is going to be like :eek:

Just give me Benedryl ... knocks me out cold... :D

MomToEli said:
I'm having trouble sleeping NOW ... I can't imagine what the night before is going to be like :eek:

Just give me Benedryl ... knocks me out cold... :D
Me too! The only problem is that I'd be scared that I'd miss the alarm clock = missed flight = major freak out!!!!:eek: :p ;)

The most important piece of advice I can give is to go with an open mind. I went to NC one year with a girl who "boohoo'd" every little thing (there's no way that will work, I could never do that, etc.) and it really put a downer on the whole thing. I was there to learn and get excited, and she pulled as all down. Luckily, I'm pretty self-motivated, so I didn't let it affect my business, but it could affect others. If you have negative comments, keep them to yourself, or tell your mom when you get home. Don't "infect" other conference attendees. Last year, that girl didn't go, and I had a fantastic time with a girl on my team who went for the first time and thought I was kidding when I told her there would be "dancers" on stage - she laughed her butt off when she saw I wasn't kidding!! :) We had a blast. So, attitude is everything! Have fun!

This is kinda silly advice, but it's good for some people.Pack old things: underwear, toothbrush, jammies, etc. Then just throw them out. You'll have more room in your suitcase for stuff on the way home. :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedcntrycookin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • smiley757
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • Lady Chef