• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What classified someone as a "hobbyist"?

BadGirl

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2008
I usually submit one show per month, sometimes from a cooking show...sometimes from a catalog show. My sales for each submittal is usually above $350. At this point in time, I really don't want to put too much time in to this business, seeing as I don't have a lot of spare time to appropriately devote to it.

Does that make me a hobbyist?

Another thing: it looks like I'll be unable to submit a show for the month of September. Will I burn in hell for it? Will that make me go inactive? What are the ramifications of not submitting a September show.

For what it's worth, I already have two shows book for October.

NooraK

Legend Member
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2008
I would think it depends who you are asking. Your Director or HO may have a different definition than the IRS. My understanding (and I'm no expert) is that the IRS wants to see a profit within 3 years to consider your business a real business.

From a consultant perspective, I would personally think of a hobbyist as someone who doesn't have a consistent income each month. If you consistently have an income every month, even if it's $200-300, I'd consider that part-time.

chef131doreen

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 15, 2005
You will not burn in hell , yes you would be called a hobbyist and that's fine
you have 6 months of not putting in 150.00 in sales then you would have to rebuy your kit, So it's ok to miss a month Iwould atleast try to get in 150 each month ........ Catalog shows really help at least you know a show is going in That's the beauty of Pamperedchef

BethCooks4U

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
You will not burn in hell , yes you would be called a hobbyist and that's fine
you have 6 months of not putting in 150.00 in sales then you would have to rebuy your kit, So it's ok to miss a month Iwould atleast try to get in 150 each month ........ Catalog shows really help at least you know a show is going in That's the beauty of Pamperedchef

This is true. but if you skip 2 months (less than $150 in sales per month) you lose your lifetime sales toward your 2% raise. Sounds like you are doing over $300 consistantly so you are on your way. Don't lose your progress if you can help it.

While it's a GOOD idea to ALWAYS submit $150+ every month, nothing will happen if you skip one month. ...well, except you won't get a paycheck for that month.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jcsmilez
Replies
Views
Niki Kate
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views