• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some tips for making a low-fat cake?

In summary, Becky is baking an applesauce cake, which substitutes vegetable oil for butter. She is also using whole wheat flour, quick oats, baking soda, and cinnamon. She decreased the sugar by 1/4 cup and increased the nutritional value of the cake by adding whole wheat flour, quick oats, and applesauce.
armywyf
Ok so my Bday is tomorrow and I would really like to have a cake but as with most people I am dieting and exercising more getting ready for my vacation to Key West in March... I have heard that you can substitute applesauce for vegetable oil, is that right? Are there any other substitutions that can be made to reduce the fat?

aren't angel food cakes fat free & you can top it with fresh fruit and non fat cool whip

I think that may be what I do, thank you I hadn't thought of doing an angel food cake...

Here is a recipe I am making today - it's eggless (cuts down on fat and calories), and has just a small amount of butter in it, and I'm going to only use half of the butter and increase the amount of applesauce I use. I'm also using half whole wheat flour. Oh - and I'm not adding the raisins:yuck:. I'll let you know how it turns out. It got really good ratings on Allrecipes.com.

APPLESAUCE CAKE
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup chilled applesauce
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
Cream butter or margarine with sugar. Add applesauce; beat well. Stir in flour, soda, and spices. Add nuts and raisins.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until done. Serve warm.

Thank you Becky, let me know how it turns out for sure!

Okay - it's in the oven! (hee hee - some are cleaning today to keep busy waiting for the announcements to hit CC - but instead, I'm cooking and baking. I have homemade split pea soup in the crockpot, bread rising, and a cake in the oven! Plus, I made a big breakfast for the family this morning!)

BUT - here is what the recipe I made actually looks like - I altered just about everything in the original recipe!

APPLESAUCE CAKE
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter - I used a Smart Balance 50/50 blend
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup chilled applesauce
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup quick oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cinnanmon plus spice blend
1 tsp. vanilla

So - I'll let you know how it turns out. I decided since I was using the Smart Balance, to just keep the original amount of fat. It's not a large amount for a cake anyway. As originally written it's just 265 calories a piece, and that's pretty good for cake! But I upped the nutritional value of the cake by adding the WW flour, and the oatmeal, and increasing the applesauce a little. Oh - and decreasing the sugar by 1/4 cup. I switched to brown sugar to give it more of a caramelly flavor. I almost threw in a chopped apple and some ground flax too - if it turns out well, I may just do that next time!

What are some substitutes for high-fat ingredients in cake recipes?

Some options for reducing the fat content in cakes include using applesauce or mashed bananas instead of oil, using Greek yogurt or avocado instead of butter, and using reduced-fat or fat-free dairy products.

How can I make a low-fat cake without sacrificing flavor?

Incorporating flavorful ingredients such as spices, citrus zest, and extracts can help enhance the taste of a low-fat cake. Additionally, using natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup can add sweetness without adding extra fat.

What are some tips for reducing the sugar content in a cake?

You can try using natural sweeteners like applesauce, mashed bananas, or pureed dates in place of some of the sugar in a recipe. You can also reduce the overall amount of sugar by using a sugar substitute like stevia or cutting back on the amount of sugar called for in the recipe.

Can I still use frosting on a low-fat cake?

Yes, there are several ways to make a low-fat frosting. You can use a combination of whipped cream and cream cheese, or make a glaze using powdered sugar, milk, and flavorings. You can also top the cake with fresh fruit or a light dusting of powdered sugar instead of traditional frosting.

Are there any specific types of flour that are lower in fat than others?

Whole wheat flour, oat flour, and almond flour are all lower in fat than all-purpose flour. You can also use a combination of these flours to make a healthier, low-fat cake. Just be sure to adjust the liquid and leavening agents accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• A&JPCPals
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
A&JPCPals
  • emmabelle47
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieSAChef
  • Trish1953