• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Decorating a Mickey Mouse Birthday Cake: Frosting and Techniques

In summary, Wilton paste colorings are a good option for true colors with less water down. Michael's or a cake decorating supply store would be a good place to start.
catlwilles
Gold Member
I've decided I'm going to decorate a Mickey Mouse birthday cake for my son's birthday tomorrow. I was going to bake the cakes in our round cake pans and then cut two of them down a little for the ears. My question is about the frosting. What should I use for the black frosting and the bright red frosting. I can never get a really bright red when I use regular food coloring. For those of you that have done it before, should I frost it with smooth frosting or use the star tip on the EAD? Any help and suggestions are welcome! Since this is my first time, I'm a little nervous about it working out good. Thanks

Go to Michael's or a cake decorating supply store and get some of the paste food colors. They'll have black (which is easier to use if you add it to chocolate frosting - you'll use less coloring to get it really dark), and a couple of different reds. They'll also end up brighter if you color the frosting and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

Definitely invest in some Wilton color pastes. You'll get much better 'true' colors that way. I did a 'road sign' cake for my mom's 55th (it looked like a speed limit sign LOL) and the black was a life saver. Food coloring tends to water down both the icing and the color. The color pastes you can get are a lot better at tinting, especially for strong colors. The only thing I use food coloring for now is egg dying. LOL

You can also find "color spray" at your grocery store in the baking aisle. I used this when I made my son's Thomas the tank engine cake. You just would frost your cake with white frosting, and then you can get these "sprays" in all different colors, and you just spray it over your cake. Gives it an airbrushed look.

The sprays can be really tricky if you've never used them before. However, if there is a local cake decorating place or cake supply place nearby, they typically sell little amounts of red and black icing pre-made. I do cake decorating, but I buy my red and black because it takes sooooooooooo much of the paste to get it the deep color you need. So for my time and money, I go buy it!!! Oh, and if you don't know of a cake decorating/supply place nearby, check out your local grocery where they do cake decorating!

What type of cake should I make for a birthday?

There are many options for birthday cakes, but some popular choices include chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, and funfetti. Ultimately, it depends on the preference of the birthday person!

What size cake pan should I use for a birthday cake?

This will depend on the number of people you are serving. For a standard 8-inch round cake, you can serve 8-10 people. For larger parties, consider using a 9x13 inch rectangular pan or a sheet pan.

Do you have any tips for decorating a birthday cake?

Absolutely! Some tips include using a crumb coat before frosting to prevent crumbs from getting in the final layer, using a piping bag for precise decorations, and adding sprinkles or edible flowers for a festive touch.

How far in advance can I make a birthday cake?

It is recommended to make the cake the day before or the day of the party for optimal freshness. If you need to make it further in advance, you can store it in the fridge for 2-3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.

What if I don't have all the ingredients for a birthday cake?

If you are missing an ingredient, you can try substituting with a similar ingredient, or you can search for a recipe that specifically uses the ingredients you have on hand. You can also reach out to your local Pampered Chef consultant for personalized recipe recommendations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bakinwithbacon
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ericadboone
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • ChefMary412