• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mixing a Boxed Cake Mix: Tips for Making it Without a Mixer

In summary, the Mix N Masher is a great tool for mixing cake mixes together. It saves time and is easier to use than a stand mixer.
kam
Staff member
Boy, I feel silly asking this....But I have always made cakes at home where I have a mixer and have NEVER thought about this:

My host tonight has chosen the Molten Choc cake in the Rice cooker (box of cake mix made to boxed directions and half a can of frosting scooped on top and put in the microwave).

The boxed cake mix directions state to mix the cake on such&such speed for x minutes, then such&such speed x minutes.

If you are making this at a show - do you just hand mix - and for how long?? Or do you use the host's mixer??? What effect does hand mixing have on the batter/cooking of the cake???

Any help would be appreciated!!!

I use our awesome stainless whisk.

I've mixed up cakes with the whisk lots of times, or even just the mix n scraper if I forgot the whisk... and I've NEVER had a problem. One host's husband was horrified that I wasn't using a standing mixer. =) But the cake always turns out just fine. I pretty much stopped using a mixer at home, too, if I have to make a cake - seems like it doesn't make much difference anyway.

Tip on the boxed caked: SIFT the cake mix before using it. It settles during shipping and this gives it a little lighter feeling when baked

at a show instead of a sifter do this...
dump mix in bowl use whisk to stir and get out lumps. then add all the ingredients and mix again with whisk. You will get fewer lumps!

ETA: I love my kitchen aid but do not think I have ever used a mixer with a "boxed" mix. I've never had a problem

Last edited:
OK! Thanks all! The whisk it is!

What's a mixer?? Okay, I do own a Kitchen Aid (thanks Grandma for the great wedding gift) but I am so used to doing everything by hand that I don't hardly ever use it. Even before I got it, I just add the ingredients and stir until combined making sure it's all even.

Never heard of shifting it before, good tip.

wadesgirl said:
What's a mixer?? Okay, I do own a Kitchen Aid (thanks Grandma for the great wedding gift) but I am so used to doing everything by hand that I don't hardly ever use it. Even before I got it, I just add the ingredients and stir until combined making sure it's all even.

Never heard of shifting it before, good tip.

Shifting hugh.... LOL .... Yeah I'm pickin on ya....

etteluap70PC said:
Shifting hugh.... LOL .... Yeah I'm pickin on ya....

That's the funny part I am really good at spelling, my fingers just type faster than my brain!

The Mix N Masher is AWESOME for mixing a cake mix together.... I can't believe how great it works.

quiverfull7 said:
The Mix N Masher is AWESOME for mixing a cake mix together.... I can't believe how great it works.

I am glad to have a use for it now. I've owned one for quite a while, but it's still brand new.

You can mash bananas for banana bread with it, too.

I use the mix-n-chop for the bananas, ground beef and potatoes.

quiverfull7 said:

Whisk worked great tonight - cake turned out good too.

I JUST got the Mix N Masher with KE yesterday and now I know how I can use it. Thanks!

1. How do I properly measure the ingredients for a boxed cake mix?

For the most accurate measurement, use measuring cups and spoons specifically designed for dry or liquid ingredients. Spoon the dry ingredients into the measuring cup and level off with a knife. For liquids, make sure the measuring cup is on a flat surface and check the measurement at eye level.

2. Can I make any substitutions for the ingredients listed on the boxed cake mix?

It is best to follow the instructions on the boxed cake mix for the best results. However, you can substitute different types of milk (almond, coconut, etc.) for water, or add in ingredients like chocolate chips or nuts for added flavor and texture.

3. Do I need to preheat the oven before mixing the boxed cake mix?

Yes, it is important to preheat your oven according to the instructions on the boxed cake mix. This will ensure that the cake bakes evenly and rises properly.

4. How should I mix the ingredients for a boxed cake mix?

Start by mixing the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. Then, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing until well combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in a tough and dense cake.

5. Can I use a hand mixer or stand mixer to mix a boxed cake mix?

Yes, you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer to mix the cake batter. However, be sure to follow the instructions on the boxed cake mix and do not overmix. Hand mixing is also an option, but it may take longer to incorporate all the ingredients evenly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Chef Shari
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebB
  • SPAMSTIME
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies