• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some flavorful recipes using canned chicken?

In summary, the conversation revolved around using canned chicken in various recipes such as Chicken Caesar Salad pizza, Buffalo Chicken Dip, and Chicken Broccoli Wreath/Braid. Several participants shared their favorite recipes using canned chicken, such as the Buffalo Rub Chicken Dip and a rice cooker dish. There was also a discussion about substituting ingredients in the recipes, with suggestions to use more ranch dressing instead of bleu cheese or to try a different hot sauce. Some participants also mentioned their preference for using fresh chicken over canned.
skaugchef
Gold Member
I'm looking for reicpes using canned chicken. Any & all appreciated.

I use canned chicken in the Chicken Caesar Salad pizza. It's always a big hit at my shows.

Buffalo Chicken Dip is my fav! I also make an appetizer with 1 can chicken, 1 block of cream cheese, & a small onion. Dice the onion, mix the chicken & cream cheese together, & spread of crackers. :)

Sorry, but I had to chuckle. I almost always switch out canned for fresh chicken when I get a recipe calling for canned. I guess I'm a chicken snob.

That being said, do you have the Buffalo Rub Chicken Dip Recipe yet? Here it is in case:

BUFFALO RUB CHICKEN DIP

8 oz. cream cheese
1 can chicken
1 cup Ranch dressing
1/4 cup Bleu Cheese crumbles
1/4 cup Franks Wing Sauce
1 heaping Teas. Buffalo Rub
4 oz. grated cheddar

Mix everything except the cheddar together in a mini baker, then sprinkle the cheddar over the top, and pop it in the micro for a couple minutes til it is melty. Serve it with celery & carrot sticks, and tortilla chips.

I made it exactly as directed and we licked the baker clean. YUM!

I used canned chicken in the Chicken Broccoli Wreath/Braid.

OK, not that great for PC, but I love to pour canned chicken into my rice cooker, with the right amount of fluid (water or broth) for the rice, PLUS whatever fluid is in the chicken. I add fresh vegs--like broccoli or carrots, and cook it all together.It's pretty much comfort food for us, maybe I might add a little seasoning. Curry is my favorite, but I bet the Moroccan Rub would be great. Another add-in might be raisins or nuts.Sometimes we shred a little cheese over the top. Usually cheddar, but jack or Swiss are good.I use this for when I don't feel like cooking or even thinking.

BethCooks4U said:
Sorry, but I had to chuckle. I almost always switch out canned for fresh chicken when I get a recipe calling for canned. I guess I'm a chicken snob.

That being said, do you have the Buffalo Rub Chicken Dip Recipe yet? Here it is in case:

BUFFALO RUB CHICKEN DIP

8 oz. cream cheese
1 can chicken
1 cup Ranch dressing
4 oz. grated cheddar

Mix everything except the cheddar together in a mini baker, then sprinkle the cheddar over the top, and pop it in the micro for a couple minutes til it is melty. Serve it with celery & carrot sticks, and tortilla chips.

I also usually use regular chicken. But, I bought a 6pk of canned chicken from Sams Club and wanted ideas of what to make. Thanks for the recipe. Could I substitute these with anything?
We don't like bleu cheese & could we use just bbq sauce?

Amy

I'm not sure about the bbq answer, but I don't use bleu cheese in mine. I just add more ranch. Hope that helps.

skaugchef said:
I also usually use regular chicken. But, I bought a 6pk of canned chicken from Sams Club and wanted ideas of what to make. Thanks for the recipe. Could I substitute these with anything?

Amy

Well, it won't be a buffalo dip if you don't use bleu cheese or hot sauce. It'd be a BBQ Chicken dip. It would probably taste fine, it would just be a whole new flavor profile.

skaugchef said:

Amy

I wouldn't use a bbq sauce. It needs a hot sauce. You can get a "sample" bottle at the grocery that's exactly 1/4 cup and it's 50c or less (I think I got it for 39c). It's Pete's rather than Franks but IMHO the same thing.

BethCooks4U said:

BUFFALO RUB CHICKEN DIP

8 oz. cream cheese
1 can chicken
1 cup Ranch dressing
4 oz. grated cheddar

What size can of chicken?

chicken ench ring
baked potstickers

pamperedlinda said:

....and how do you think it would be with feta instead of bleu cheese? I don't like bleu cheese - I googled Frank's REDHOT recipe and they suggest subbing mozzarella - would feta be too strong or give it a nice zing?

pamperedlinda said:

I believe it was 10 oz. - bigger than a regular tuna can. As far as the cheese, I don't know what a different kind would do to the flavor but I do know that I do not like bleu cheese and I LOVED this recipe.

Chicken Broccoli Braid
Turkey Cranberry Ring - with chicken - YUMMY
Jerk Chicken Nachos
Mexican Chicken Lasagna

pamperedlinda said:

LOL, Linda - this is the same question you asked before! :D

Sooo, when I made it for my Fall Kickoff Show, I just added the whole can. It's the large sized can that I get at Costco, so that might be 10 oz. I'm not sure. I used the last one, so I can't look to see. The extra chicken didn't seem to hurt the dip any - people were still scraping out the bottom and sides of the baker. It was the biggest hit at my show!

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL, Linda - this is the same question you asked before! :D

Sooo, when I made it for my Fall Kickoff Show, I just added the whole can. It's the large sized can that I get at Costco, so that might be 10 oz. I'm not sure. I used the last one, so I can't look to see. The extra chicken didn't seem to hurt the dip any - people were still scraping out the bottom and sides of the baker. It was the biggest hit at my show!

well, dangit - put the size in the recipe! I didn't print it before and wasn't about to go on a search....I'm lazy that way :D .

I just made it - personally, I think it needs 2 cans of chicken. I don't normally use canned chicken and I thought the dip tasted kinda bland - like it was missing something - didn't have much of a chicken flavor, was more like buffalo cheese dip in my opinion. Could be because of using canned instead of cooking a chicken breast? I didn't have Pete's Hot Sauce so I used Crystal Hot Sauce and @ 2 tsp of the buffalo rub.

pamperedlinda said:
well, dangit - put the size in the recipe! I didn't print it before and wasn't about to go on a search....I'm lazy that way :D .

I just made it - personally, I think it needs 2 cans of chicken. I don't normally use canned chicken and I thought the dip tasted kinda bland - like it was missing something - didn't have much of a chicken flavor, was more like buffalo cheese dip in my opinion. Could be because of using canned instead of cooking a chicken breast? I didn't have Pete's Hot Sauce so I used Crystal Hot Sauce and @ 2 tsp of the buffalo rub.

Was it the big can of chicken?

Also - remember that I'm a Northern girl, and we can't take much heat. :p So, this recipe was developed with Northern tastebuds in mind. LOL! All of the recipes that I found for a buffalo chicken dip were way too hot for me, that's why I created this one.

ChefBeckyD said:

Also - remember that I'm a Northern girl, and we can't take much heat. :p So, this recipe was developed with Northern tastebuds in mind. LOL! All of the recipes that I found for a buffalo chicken dip were way too hot for me, that's why I created this one.

And I'm so glad you did! Like I said we licked the baker clean!!

...sorry I didn't give you credit before but I didn't remember who's recipe it was.

BethCooks4U said:
And I'm so glad you did! Like I said we licked the baker clean!!

...sorry I didn't give you credit before but I didn't remember who's recipe it was.

That's perfectly okay Beth! It was a good reminder for me, because I had promised a bunch of people I'd post the recipe on FB, and then I was busy getting ready for vacation, and totally forgot about it! So your post reminded me that I needed to do that!

They licked the bowl clean at my Fall Kick-Off too - and also at our Cluster's Fall Taste-testing meeting! I made some here and ate it in a wrap sandwich with lettuce, red onion, and tomato - it was really good that way too!

ChefBeckyD said:

it was the 10 oz size. I like very spicey food, this was spicey enough, just not chickeny enough. Like I said it tasted like buffalo cheese dip.

all those listed before plus southwest chicken salad

When I make Buffalo Chicken dip, I use the cheapest hot sauce at the store, but add more. I also use the cheapest ranch, because you can't tell a difference IMHO. For a twist, you can spoon a small amount of the dip when finished onto wonton wrappers, pinch, & deep fry. Yummm!!!

Chicken Queso Dip1 lb. velveeta
1 can Rotel
1 can chicken drained and shreddedtoss it all in a crock pot, stir occasionally and serve with tortilla chips

bridedream said:
Chicken Queso Dip

1 lb. velveeta
1 can Rotel
1 can chicken drained and shredded

toss it all in a crock pot, stir occasionally and serve with tortilla chips

wow, this sounds great. We're doing make your own burritos as a fundraiser next week, I think I'll bring this in addition to the shredded pork I am bringing.

Linda - did you use the feta? I would think that would be way to salty. And I found a little tip some where, no idea where and I do this, when I open a can of chicken or more, I dump it in the Exec Saute Pan and cook it until the liquid is evaporated. It makes the chicken flavor more concentrated. If I really want to add flavor, I pop a few grains of granulated bullion in the too. Most canned chicken is packed in water so... Some cans even call it broth but it is only broth after the chicken sits in the can for so long. It gets a watery taste to it. UGH!

pampered1224 said:
Linda - did you use the feta? I would think that would be way to salty. And I found a little tip some where, no idea where and I do this, when I open a can of chicken or more, I dump it in the Exec Saute Pan and cook it until the liquid is evaporated. It makes the chicken flavor more concentrated. If I really want to add flavor, I pop a few grains of granulated bullion in the too. Most canned chicken is packed in water so... Some cans even call it broth but it is only broth after the chicken sits in the can for so long. It gets a watery taste to it. UGH!

I did not use the feta. I did drain the canned chicken. but you are right, it had NO flavor. It was name-brand chicken too. I threw the entire thing out. I have made buffalo chickien dip in the past, another recipe-but similar and it was delicious. I blame this failure on the tasteless canned chicken.

Related to What are some flavorful recipes using canned chicken?

1. Can I use canned chicken in any recipe that calls for cooked chicken?

Yes, canned chicken can be used in place of cooked chicken in most recipes. Just be sure to drain the liquid from the can before using it in your dish.

2. How long does canned chicken last?

Canned chicken can last for several years if stored in a cool, dry place. However, for best quality, it is recommended to use it within 2-3 years of the production date listed on the can.

3. What types of recipes are best for using canned chicken?

Canned chicken is great for making quick and easy meals such as chicken salads, casseroles, and sandwiches. It can also be used in soups, stir-fries, and pasta dishes.

4. Does canned chicken taste different from fresh or frozen chicken?

Some people may notice a slight difference in taste between canned chicken and fresh or frozen chicken. However, the texture and flavor can be enhanced by adding seasoning or using it in a flavorful recipe.

5. Can I freeze canned chicken?

Yes, canned chicken can be frozen for up to 6 months. Just make sure to transfer it to a freezer-safe container or bag and label it with the date. Thaw it in the refrigerator before using it in a recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• brandy223
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • cincychef
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • DebPC