• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Warning-Sensitive Topic Being Discussed.

In summary, my daughter's friend is 13 years old, has lost her virginity at 10, and is in sixth grade. My daughter is in sixth grade next year and will be 13 in a few months. She is too young for me to give any advice, but I do believe that sex education should start at home from the beginning.
I read this thread with great interest. I fight this battle every single day. In my daily job I am a Nurse Practitioner and I do women's health. I see very young girls in my clinic on a regular basis. I will tell you it never TOO early by school age,to start talking with your children about their bodies and sex. That being said, it has to be at thier age level. You don't have to be graphic or go into great detail, but talk to them. Use TV or books, or mags to start a converstation and let them know where you stand on premarital sex ect.... They are getting all kinds of information and much of it is WRONG. Be open with them and they will come to you. I get kids in the clinic as young as 11, 12 that are sexually active and have been for a long time. I spend a lot of my time talking to these girls and boys about sefl esteem. I really encourgae abstaince, but most of the timel by the time they get to me it is too late. I started taking to my boys about body safety and respect for themseves and others by kindergarten. I use every cahnce I get to talk with my boys about choices and remaining virgins. Our church youth leader has a done a good job with this issue as well. I know that many of you may disagree with me, but I'm telling you, it is out there and you have to talk to your kids to help protect them.

I too did not take a religious view in reqards to educating my now 21 year old son. I was always honest about body parts and stressed that should the opportunity present itself for sex he must at all times be protected from STD's. He must never ever take the word of a girl that she is on birthcontrol and therefore no need for a condom. I also provided condoms (the price is very high for something so crutial) I asked him to abstain from sex but if not to please like and respect the girl and hope he is in a responsible relationship not a one night or party sex. We have talked recently and he really listened and practiced what we discussed. Did not ask for much detail! LOL
Cathy

Kacey,
I am embarassed to admit, I love my soaps, it is like my escape :) It is so far from reality, but I am hooked. I will never let my kids watch them, but I TIVO them and watch them when I can. My DH makes fun of me for watching them, but oh well :)

"can top that... Since my mother started at an early age with us (by purchasing and letting us "read" the book Where Did I Come From I was quite verbal about finding my mom a new husband. My father died when I was not quite two.I used to go up to men in elevators and in the grocery store and say "Hi- I like you and love you, do you have a penis, and will you marry my mom?"I guess my mother told me I only asked the really old men- and never any of the cuter, younger ones! Too funny!"I think I would have died on the spot and probably never left the house with you again! Too funny!

I HAVE to share this story now that others have....

several years back, my kids were filthy, so I threw them in our big garden tub together..the thought crossed my mind that maybe they were at the ages (6 & 3) that they shouldn't bathe together, but I ignored my instincts, and resumed folding laundry in my room. I hear giggling, and peek into the bathroom where I see my son holding his penis like it was going to leave his body! My daughter is laughing hysterically. I told DS to stop touching his penis, as that is a private part he can touch in private, and DD pipes up to say "you know he has named it, right?".........."he calls it Lord Penis!"

I damn near hyperventilated and died on the spot....now where is DH when this happens??? NOT HOME! After I calmed down, I went back into the bathroom and pointed to my nose. I asked DS "what is this called?"..he said "your nose"..I pointed to me fingers "what are these called?"...he said "fingers"....I then explained that everybody part has a proper name and that his penis should just be called penis...not prefaced by Lord!

Yep, this is the same child we will be talking to this weekend about the facts of life! Can't wait!:rolleyes:

I wanted to recommend material from a seminar that we went to about talking to your children about sex. The speaker, Mary Flo Ridley, did an excellent job of giving you ideas of what you needed to talk to your kids about at different ages. It has really changed my mind about when and how I will discuss this with my children. My personal belief is that this is my responsibility as a parent. My parents never discussed it with me so my information can from my friends, a pretty scary thought. I used to teach 5th grade and I personally wouldn't let this be your childs first experience hearing about sexual education. I think it teaches your child that you are not a expert on sex, but somehow the school nurse is. You want to be that expert voice in your child's life. Just my opinion.
Here is a great book that the speaker recommended to us and there is also a link to purchase an audio CD of the presentation I attended. The book is Questions Kids Ask About Sex by Melissa Cox:
Gives candid, practical, age-appropriate insights that help even the most squeamish parent overcome obstacles and ''seize the day'' to protect the health, hope and happiness of their child.
Here is the link to the audio presentation
http://justsayyes.org/maryflo.php

Pampered Laura said:
ChefBeckyD said:
It's difficult nowadays when all of the "Dads" on TV are portrayed as stupid and incompetent.

Think about all the "dumb dads" on kids TV shows. On TV, Dads are made out to be just the person to bring home a paycheck and nothing more. On TV, Mom takes care of all of the discipline & raising of the kids and dad sits on the sofa and watches sports.

I totally agree~we watch very little TV and when we do it is usually a program we can approve of our kids seeing. What a sad state of affairs we are in when anyone, men, women, minorities in general, are degraded like men are on TV today.
We were watching Extreme Home Makover last night and the commercial for The Bachelorette came on....I commented on how sad it was that people thought they could find true love on a TV show...how can you get to know your life partner in 10 episodes??? I hope my kids were paying attention, but who knows.

H2: What is the appropriate age to have a sex talk with my child?<p>There is no set age for having the sex talk with your child. It is important to have open and honest communication with your child from a young age, so they feel comfortable coming to you with any questions or concerns. It is recommended to have the talk before they start middle school, as this is when they may be exposed to more information about sex from their peers.</p>H2: How can I approach the topic of sex with my child without making them uncomfortable?<p>It is important to approach the topic of sex in a calm and non-judgmental manner. Start by asking your child what they already know about sex and then fill in any gaps or correct any misinformation. Use age-appropriate language and be prepared to answer any questions they may have. It is also important to emphasize the importance of consent and healthy relationships.</p>H2: What if my child has already heard about sex from their peers?<p>If your child has already heard about sex from their peers, it is still important to have the talk with them. This will allow you to provide accurate information and address any misconceptions they may have. It is also a good opportunity to discuss the importance of making informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health.</p>H2: How can I talk to my child about sex without scaring them?<p>It is important to be honest with your child about the potential consequences of having sex, such as pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. However, it is also important to emphasize that these risks can be minimized by practicing safe sex and waiting until they are emotionally and physically ready. Reassure your child that they can come to you with any questions or concerns without fear of judgment.</p>H2: How can I make sure my child is not engaging in risky behaviors?<p>It is important to have open and ongoing communication with your child about sex and relationships. Set clear boundaries and expectations for their behavior and monitor their activities and social media use. Encourage them to make responsible and informed decisions and to come to you if they need guidance or support.</p>
H2: What is the appropriate age to have a sex talk with my child?

There is no set age for having the sex talk with your child. It is important to have open and honest communication with your child from a young age, so they feel comfortable coming to you with any questions or concerns. It is recommended to have the talk before they start middle school, as this is when they may be exposed to more information about sex from their peers.

H2: How can I approach the topic of sex with my child without making them uncomfortable?

It is important to approach the topic of sex in a calm and non-judgmental manner. Start by asking your child what they already know about sex and then fill in any gaps or correct any misinformation. Use age-appropriate language and be prepared to answer any questions they may have. It is also important to emphasize the importance of consent and healthy relationships.

H2: What if my child has already heard about sex from their peers?

If your child has already heard about sex from their peers, it is still important to have the talk with them. This will allow you to provide accurate information and address any misconceptions they may have. It is also a good opportunity to discuss the importance of making informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health.

H2: How can I talk to my child about sex without scaring them?

It is important to be honest with your child about the potential consequences of having sex, such as pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. However, it is also important to emphasize that these risks can be minimized by practicing safe sex and waiting until they are emotionally and physically ready. Reassure your child that they can come to you with any questions or concerns without fear of judgment.

H2: How can I make sure my child is not engaging in risky behaviors?

It is important to have open and ongoing communication with your child about sex and relationships. Set clear boundaries and expectations for their behavior and monitor their activities and social media use. Encourage them to make responsible and informed decisions and to come to you if they need guidance or support.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• floccies
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jenf
  • cewcooks