• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ot & Long- Summer Babysitter Dilema- Help!!!

uh...situation and was supportive. We talked about it and I told her that I thought it would be best if her daughter didn't babysit because of how close in age they are and the potential for things to go wrong. I also told her that I didn't want her to be too angry and upset with me, since she's such a good friend. Turns out, she was already planning to get a new babysitter and was happy to hear that I was thinking of her. So all in all, it went pretty smoothly. I'm glad I was able to act quickly and not put her through any more turmoil.
pampered.chris
Gold Member
So, I have an 11 yr old daughter and last summer my cousin babysat her. Well she is getting a job for the summer this year and so I was going to ask another kid that babysits for me from time to time. He is a friends 15 yr old son who is NOTHING to fear...I know...some of you are thinking, is she crazy...but you have to know the boy...I think at some point, maybe college, he may realize he is gay...but right now...I would NEVER consider him a threat to my daughter...EVER. So anyhow, that isn't the problem, so we wont go there.
Anyhow, I was under the impression that he was going to be getting a full-time summer job this year and wasn't going to babysit for his mom or anyone else. (They live across the street from me). I was just going to take her to my parents house every day to stay with my Gram, but Gram developed cancer and will not be able to baby-sit due to surgery and treatments and such. So I asked another friends daughter (also, lives across the street) and she said yes.
Here is the problem, I wasn't keen in the first place about asking this girl as she is only 13 and a friend of my daughters, not super close, but still. Then I was around when this girl and her bf (18) were there and I was shocked to see that she will hug on him and kiss on him and practically is glued to him, not just in front of me, but my daughter and HER OWN MOTHER. The mom must be okay with this, but I am NOT. As if that wasn't enough, remember that post awhile back about the girl at my DD's school that "lost it" at 10 and was doing really not good stuff on a school bus w/ another 6th grade boy? Well, this is the girl that was discussing this w/ my DD. So I am not so cool about some of the topics she feels she can so freely discuss.
Well, here is where it gets tricky...I found out last night that the boy I wanted to babysit...was waiting for me to ask him and didn't get a summer job!!!
He was who I wanted to begin with...UGH! So can I "cancel" one neighbor sitter to hire another one? What do I do?
Remember, the moms are both VERY good friends of mine, in my "top 5" so to speak. One is cool, the other (of course the mom of the one that I want to cancel) will FLIP about this.
WHAT DO I DO?! Can I get out of this? Is there any tactful way?
Please help!!

Personally I think that the 13 y/o is too close in age and social stature to be considered a sitter for an 11 y/o. I can only see trouble developing.

Let her flip. It is not only your prerogative, but your responsibility as a mother to provide your child with the bestest, most capable, most responsible babysitter you can find.

I say cancel the 13 year old who doesn't sound like she fits the bill, and go with the older boy. Tell the 13-year old's mother that there was a miscommunication/misunderstanding about the older boy babysitting, and you'd feel less worried with someone older and more experienced. She should understand, given that her daughter is only 2 years older than yours.

Good luck!

I would cancel, just tell the girl that you and your DH discussed this further and decided that the best situation for your daughter is with the other babysitter. It's not about this girl, it's about your daugther. Explain the age thing, that will help given that they are that close together.

IMO, I would cancel with the 13yo girl & hire the 15yo boy. I don't think at 13 she is responsible enough to take care of your child. And frankly the fact that her mother lets her behave the way she does (& with an 18yo no less:eek: ) doesn't instill confidence either. Your DD is the priority, not this girl...just tell her politely you've re-considered. HTH.;)

Good luck!!

Last edited:
I agree. Cancel the girl and hire the boy.

You go with the right choice for you. Sounds like you know who you want to hire... don't worry about hurt feelings. This is YOUR child and their safety at stake. A 13 yo girl is too close in age to be seen as an authority figure to your daughter.. especially if they're friend-like to begin with.

Update!! I did it, I cancelled herSo I told the mom of the girl, my friend, last night. She had come over to my house in her "barracuda" mood about something unrelated. I told her that I needed to speak with her privately and that she wouldn't be overly happy. I started talking and she stops me and says "So you want this boy to babysit instead of my daughter is that what you are telling me?". I said yes. I explained only about the age and what I fear that my DD will do to this girl, by taking advantage of and such like that and why it bothered me. She told me 3 times "You have to do what is right for you". But the w/in the 5 min conversation, she stepped back three times. Literally took 3 steps back. Then she left. I haven't seen or heard from her since.
She was very calm, but I think it is still coming...I just am thankful I am going out of town for a few days and maybe she can calm down about it.
Her DD is out of town until Sat and I won't get home until Sunday, so I have to tell her DD on Sunday night that I will no longer need her services.
I have to say...my stomach is in knots. But I feel better. I keep telling myself that I have to do what is right for my child, before I do what is right for my friends.
Whew!! Thank you to all of you who helped me with this one!! Your help is much appreciated!! :)

You did the right thing Chris. Seriously, its for your childs protection. And this boy seems more mature for his age anyway.

I cannot believe your friend lets her DD date someone who is "legal" 18. Scary. And yes, I remember your previous thread about losing it at "10" your friend must be absolutely clueless.

You did the right thing! Blessings to you!

1. What is the Ot & Long- Summer Babysitter Dilema?

The Ot & Long- Summer Babysitter Dilema is a common challenge faced by many parents during the summer months. It refers to the difficulty of finding appropriate childcare for children who are out of school for an extended period of time.

2. How can Pampered Chef help with the Ot & Long- Summer Babysitter Dilema?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of kitchen tools and meal solutions that can make meal prep easier and more efficient for busy parents. This can help alleviate some of the stress and time constraints that come with having children at home during the summer.

3. Can Pampered Chef products be used to involve children in meal prep?

Yes, many of our products are designed to be safe and easy for children to use. This can be a fun and educational way to keep them entertained and involved in meal preparation while also teaching them important life skills.

4. Are there any specific Pampered Chef products that are recommended for families dealing with the Ot & Long- Summer Babysitter Dilema?

Some popular products for families during the summer months include the Quick Cooker, Veggie Spiralizer, and Quick Slice. These tools can help make meal prep faster and simpler, allowing for more quality time with your children.

5. Are there any special promotions or discounts available for families dealing with the Ot & Long- Summer Babysitter Dilema?

At Pampered Chef, we often offer special promotions and discounts for families facing the challenges of summer childcare. Be sure to check our website and social media pages for any current deals or contact your local Pampered Chef consultant for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sailorsarah
  • tiggerhale
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
winklermom
  • crystalscookingnow