• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Watching My Kiddo Grow: The Emotional 1st Day of 1st Grade

form. He is going to miss us so much. :(I know the feeling. My oldest is in 8th grade this year (going to be 14 in November) - my husband and I will be very sad when the kids start going off to college -in the meantime - I try and enjoy each school year and I'm excited for the kids to have new adventures. Hang in there!Ahhh, Charity.....(((HUGS))) :(It's one of those bittersweet times.
heat123
Silver Member
I thought I was soo ready for my DD to go back to school but then I just took her to her first day of 1st grade and it made me want to cry!:cry: She's growing up soo fast, the next thing I know she will be graduating to middle school!:( I am going to lose it completely when my preschooler starts Kinder in two years! Kid's grow up too fast!:(

Sorry you feel sad Heather! My oldest is in 8th grade this year (going to be 14 in November) - my husband and I will be very sad when the kids start going off to college -in the meantime - I try and enjoy each school year and I'm excited for the kids to have new adventures. Hang in there!

I know the feeling.. my oldest will be graduating this Dec.. from college and my youngest is a softmore in college.
I dread next Sept.. that's when my oldest plans on getting married.

2nd and preschool here, but got a week until they start...

My DD is 4, but I know that 1st grade is going to come quickly! As Gina said, enjoy every year as it comes. And, it's okay to cry....it's only water! ;)

DSS in 4th grade, DD is 3 and DS turned 1 today!! It seems like just yesterday we went to the hospital to have DS!! They do grow up way too fast! It is sad and makes me want to cry too. So, we can all have a cry fest about our kids growing up so fast.

Don't feel alone! I cried too when I walked my oldest DD into first grade last Monday. I was out in the parking lot on afterwards when I finally lost it! It took everything I had not to cry in the school. :cry:

My middle one is going to 3 year preschool next Tuesday so it'll just be me & little man at home 2 days a week. Next year will be hard for me. All 3 of them in school. Boo hoo!

Oh, and this reminds me...for those who saw Mamma Mia, I went on Friday night with my SIL and sobbed :cry: when the mom and daughter were getting her ready for her wedding. All I could think about was my DD!!! :cry:

Ha - I am heartless!!! I can't wait for school to start Sept 4 - although my oldest started today (2nd year college - she went away last year and decide to stay local this!) Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, I will miss them when they go, BUT I like to think of it as a growing experience! I enjoy watching them become what they are as adult, almost adult and preteens. I also love that as they are getting older and more independent, we get to share more things together! Travel has become easier, the older ones enjoy watching the younger ones explore new things and well - now we (DH and I ) have a bit of OUR lives back as well -

I love the end of the school year but always enjoy the start again!!

I'm right there with you, Heather. Except here they start school in "primary" which is 1 grade before first grade.
I am sooo not ready for DD to start in 9 days. She's ready. She's counting the days. I. on the other hand, keep waking up with "anxiety dreams" - the theme always being that I somehow don't get to say goodbye to her as she goes into the school. Okay - seriously, crying just typing this :(
It is hard to see your first one or in my case ones - twins) go. Went through it last yr. Watching the baby go is even harder.
Gotta go cry now.

peichef said:
I'm right there with you, Heather. Except here they start school in "primary" which is 1 grade before first grade.
I am sooo not ready for DD to start in 9 days. She's ready. She's counting the days. I. on the other hand, keep waking up with "anxiety dreams" - the theme always being that I somehow don't get to say goodbye to her as she goes into the school. Okay - seriously, crying just typing this :(
It is hard to see your first one or in my case ones - twins) go. Went through it last yr. Watching the baby go is even harder.
Gotta go cry now.

Ahhh, Charity.....(((HUGS))) :(

It's one of those bittersweet times.

I am sad...melancholic...about DS going to 3 day preschool this year (it was 2 days last year.) We have just him, and he isn't a baby anymore. He looks more like his daddy everyday, and his little personality is starting to really shine. I love his sense of humor (also alot like his daddy's) and his imagination. I miss him being my baby - but I am loving the little boy. He amazes me everyday, and I just keep wondering where the last 4 years have gone!

I'm with you Heather...however, I BAWLED when she left. Robyn's a senior in HS (today's her first day) and I KNOW my time is limited iwth her...I've got a year left! Then she's off to college! :cry::cry::cry: This was FAR worse than taking either of my kids to preschool/kindergarten. I can't imagine what kind of shape I'm going to be in at her graduation and moving on college!

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

She left at 6 AM this morning (they have a "Senior Sunrise," breakfast and watch the sun rise for the new "senior" school year! I thought that was pretty cool.) and as I'm typing this...tears are coming back!

Last edited:
yeah, sending off to college definately sucks!!

I'm with y'all... My DD just started kindergarten today. Part of me wanted to take her myself, but she was so excited about going on the bus I figured I shouldn't put any ideas into her head about it not being the normal thing to do!

DS starts pre-school in a couple of weeks, only 2 afternoons a week, but I know that it's just the beginning... Before I know it they'll be at school all day, and the baby with them!

I'm so proud of them all though!

Awwhh, thanks and hugs to all who are in the same boat! It was comforting though to see her classroom (similar to her Kinder class), teacher seemed sweet and she at least knew 6 kids from her old kinder class and old preschool. It was heartbreaking to see her so apprehensive to go this morning because she LOVED her Kinder teacher and class!

heat123 said:
I thought I was soo ready for my DD to go back to school but then I just took her to her first day of 1st grade and it made me want to cry!:cry: She's growing up soo fast, the next thing I know she will be graduating to middle school!:( I am going to lose it completely when my preschooler starts Kinder in two years! Kid's grow up too fast!:(

Hey Heather,
Sorry you're sad! I know how you feel. Transitioning to 1st grade where my DS is gone all day is WAY different from last year. Luckily he loves it, but it is a long day for him to be gone all day! I also have DD asking when he'll be home all day long, so that probably makes it more noticable!

It'll get better!:)

yeah, it gets better about the last week of school then you get used to them being with you 24/7 and then school starts again

My kids first day was today. My ds in 2nd grade, my ds in Kindergarten and my dd in pre-k. I hugged and kissed her and CRIED! My dh asked if I was crying b/c of a new chapter or b/c I"m going back to work! He has no clue!

My 18 year old DS moved from VA back to CA last weekend. My 13 yo DD started HS today as a freshman. It hit me as we were walking into the school (no, she's not a dork who has to have Mommy walk her to school - she goes part-time, is home-schooled in the morning, and I had to pay her fees).

What's really remarkable is that I'm only 25, so not sure how THEY got so old!! :)

I remember putting my now almost 16 year old son on the kindergarten bus and following it to school, crying the entire way. Regan and Parker will go to pre-school next year and I hate to say I am counting down. I love them dearly, but having 2 so close together is exhausting. I think the hardest will be when my oldest goes to college, he was my only one for so long and we have this special bond and I can't imagine him not being close to home :(

My baby graduated from High School this past May:(. I have a Senior, Junior, and a Freshman in College with one already out of school:rolleyes:. Enjoy all the wonderful moments you have and will have in the future. The busier you are the faster it seems to fly by:blushing:.

pampchefsarah said:
My 18 year old DS moved from VA back to CA last weekend. My 13 yo DD started HS today as a freshman. It hit me as we were walking into the school (no, she's not a dork who has to have Mommy walk her to school - she goes part-time, is home-schooled in the morning, and I had to pay her fees).

What's really remarkable is that I'm only 25, so not sure how THEY got so old!! :)

I started adding and realized you were doing what my sweet uncle used to do... He was 39 until his DD turned 29 then he moved to 49 but never went above that even when his DD got there! He was a precious man!

My one and only DD just had her 2nd child! I can remember each "first day" like it was yesterday this time of year....but I agree that the college years are the hardest. I cried more leaving her there than all the other years combined!:cry:

Sending you hugs:)

It definately is bittersweet. It's fun to watch them grow & learn, but it goes too darn fast! I'll probably cry next year when my baby goes to all day kindergarten! I had a few tears when my older went all day.

Heather, whatever you do, don't turn around! I made that mistake, and my sweet little kindergartener turned into a grown man college student!Seriously, it's amazing how quickly the time goes by.As for staying "25," that can be dangerous. I've always said that if I were going to lie about my age, I'd lie up. Since I'm really 45, I look horrible for 20, but I look darn good for 87. ;)

raebates said:
Heather, whatever you do, don't turn around! I made that mistake, and my sweet little kindergartener turned into a grown man college student!

Seriously, it's amazing how quickly the time goes by.

As for staying "25," that can be dangerous. I've always said that if I were going to lie about my age, I'd lie up. Since I'm really 45, I look horrible for 20, but I look darn good for 87. ;)

smiley_lol.gif

Related to Watching My Kiddo Grow: The Emotional 1st Day of 1st Grade

1. What emotions can I expect to feel on my child's first day of first grade?

The first day of first grade can bring a range of emotions for parents, including excitement, pride, and anxiety. It's normal to feel a mix of emotions as your child starts a new chapter in their education.

2. How can I prepare myself and my child for the emotional experience of the first day of first grade?

One way to prepare for the emotional experience of the first day of first grade is to talk to your child about their feelings and reassure them that it's normal to feel a little nervous. You can also plan a special activity or treat after school to celebrate the milestone.

3. What can I do to make the first day of first grade less stressful for my child?

To make the first day of first grade less stressful, you can help your child get familiar with their new routine and schedule, such as practicing getting dressed and packing their backpack. You can also visit the school before the first day to help your child feel more comfortable in their new environment.

4. How can I balance my own emotions while watching my child grow and start first grade?

Balancing your own emotions while watching your child grow and start first grade can be challenging. It's important to take care of yourself and acknowledge your feelings. You can also find a support system of other parents going through the same experience to talk to and share your emotions with.

5. What advice do you have for parents who struggle with letting go and watching their child grow up?

It's natural to struggle with letting go and watching your child grow up. One piece of advice is to focus on the positive aspects of your child's growth and celebrate their milestones. It's also important to trust that you have prepared your child to take on new challenges and to have confidence in their abilities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• aried
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • vanscootin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
Replies