• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Have a Child Fail a Grade?

In summary, a parent is seeking advice regarding their daughter who is struggling in school due to not turning in assignments. The parent has tried various approaches to help their daughter and is concerned that it reflects poorly on them as a mother. The daughter does well on standardized tests but zeroes from missed assignments are hurting her grades. The teachers have stated that summer school would not be beneficial for her as it is for academically struggling students, not those with attitude problems. The parent is also concerned about the impact of their daughter's rapid growth on her behavior. Other parents share similar experiences and suggest seeking help from the school or a psychologist. One parent recommends summer school or tutoring as a potential solution. The parent also mentions trying traditional discipline methods such as grounding
floccies
My daughter is in 6th grade this year -- and almost certainly next year too. She does work and doesn't turn it in. She says its done and it isn't. I have tried to do everything I can for her. She does very well on the standardized tests (top 10%). It's the zeros that have hurt her.

The teachers said today that summer school would not help her -- it's for kids struggling academically not those with attitude problems.

I feel like it is a relection of me -- somehow I haven't done something I should have as a mother.

Any advice?

I didn't realize that you could be held back for an attitude? I think you should talk to the principal. If she tests so high, maybe she is bored and needs to skip a grade?

She is failing because she won't turn assignments in and receives a zero as the grade. This includes major projects. No amount of "prodding" on my part seems to make a difference. It is a charter school and the work is very challenging and interesting. She loves the school and her teachers. If she doesn't like the assignment -- she just won't do it.

I have an appointment scheduled with a psychologist -- because I just don't know what else to do.

She is also growing very rapidily -- but no doctor will say that that impacts behavior. (Feb to Feb 3 inches 17 pounds, Feb -April 3/4 inch 6 pounds -- she is still thinner and shorter than average)

good luck, sounds like there is something going on with her. I hope you can find out what it is and help her. If she is capable of doing the work I see no need to hold her back - seems like that would be more detrimental in the long run. Imagine how bored she will be next year, she will really get an attitude then! Hopefully you will have someone sympathetic to work with you.

My son was held back in the 6th grade for mostly the same reason. He just wouldn't turn his work in, if he even did it. He wasn't happy at first, but he matured that year and it's been better ever since. He is now in the 8th grade and doing very well, not perfect, but very well.

From everything I know, you are no longer allowed to hold kids back, due to No Child Left Behind Act.

My 12 yr old stepson is the exact same way and we even TOLD his teacher to hold him back but she wouldn't, because she said he KNOWS the material, he just isn't doing any of his work.
It makes no sense....

Good luck, believe me, I know your frustration.

chefsteph07 said:
From everything I know, you are no longer allowed to hold kids back, due to No Child Left Behind Act.

I was going to say the same thing. Between the No Child Left Behind and the school's scoring (it looks bad on all of the charts when there are students failing, getting suspended, etc.), it is very difficult to have a child held back.

I would definately set up a meeting with the principal and teacher. At my daughter's school they switch for classes this year to get the kids ready for 7th grade. My daughter struggled with most subjects for the most part of the year, aside from that she has been diagnosed with ADD and we are seeing small improvements with her but it has been a fight with the teachers all year. Advocate for your child, if its just a matter of turning work in, maybe they could devise another method. Good Luck

I could have written this post.......my son is in the 9th grade this year and what you described fits him to a tee. I'm at my wits end and don't have a clue what to do next....just know you're not alone.

Summer school, Sylvan or Kuman - let a different teacher re-present the material to your child and it will open new doors for them. Summer school in 9th grade transformed my appreciation for math and my willingness to listen to teachers. I became a teacher and it has a lot to do with that year of summer school. So - as a teacher, parent, and former student... give another teacher a chance - tutor or summer school.

Did ya try grounding her? (it sounds so archaic!) Mine, did the same thing, wouldn't do the homework, more social than academic, but smart. School works differently now than when I was a kid, homework at the HS is 90% of your total grade. So, she was grounded, the dining room table is her new best friend and she has to sit there all afternoon. It sucks, for the both of us, but she is doing her homework now. I am looking forward to Progress reports so I can ease up a bit, she's a good girl, and surprisingly non-whine.

Floccies said that she will DO the work, but won't turn it in...so grounding her really doesn't accomplish anything...
For my ss, we have tried everything...and I mean, EVERYTHING. I don't know, we are all at a loss, so I totally feel your pain and frustration...

It doesnt sound like she needs a tutor for the summer. It sounds like she is just plain old lazy, very capable, but lazy. I hope the teacher did not use the words "attitude problem." It definitely sounds behavioral and I think a psychologist will be a great first start. There really may be more to what is going on. Sometimes being held back is just a lesson kids need to learn. I commend you for looking into the problems and trying to help. A lot of parents close the door and pretend it will all just go away. It surely will be a hard lesson for her to learn (being held back), but a better lesson to learn in 6th grade than say...12th.Best of luck to you both.

My niece used to have a similar problem. She wouldn't always do her homework, but when she did, she would forget to turn it in. Luckily, my sister caught the problem before it became a REAL problem. My niece was diagnosed with ADD, and is now on medication. I'm a little old-fashioned, but I think that learning responsibility (turning things in) is an important part of school, just like learning facts and critical thinking. If a student hasn't learned that lesson, then they should be held back. That'll make them learn that lesson! If homework is a substantial percentage of the grade and the teacher doesn't have any homework from that student, then they're fully within their rights to give the student the appropriate bad grade and fail them.

1. Can my child repeat the grade they failed?

Yes, depending on the school's policies and the child's academic performance, they may be able to repeat the grade they failed.

2. How can I help my child improve their grades?

There are many ways to help your child improve their grades, such as setting up a study schedule, providing extra support and resources, and communicating with their teachers to address any challenges they may be facing.

3. Will failing a grade affect my child's future education?

Failing a grade can have an impact on a child's future education, as it may affect their placement in future grades or their ability to participate in certain programs. However, with proper support and effort, it is possible for a child to catch up and succeed in their education.

4. Can a child pass a grade even if they failed a few subjects?

It is possible for a child to pass a grade even if they failed a few subjects, depending on the school's policies and the child's overall academic performance. The school may offer options for extra credit or make-up work to help the child pass the grade.

5. How can I talk to my child about failing a grade?

It is important to approach this conversation with empathy and understanding. Acknowledge your child's feelings and reassure them that failing a grade does not define their intelligence or worth. Encourage them to reflect on their mistakes and work towards improvement in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kaseydee
  • floccies
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • vanscootin