• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does This Make Sense (School Related)?

In summary, a parent expresses concern about their 6th grade daughter who is failing all classes and has been sent to "Exile Island" as punishment. They are also concerned about a low class participation grade and bullying from another student. The parent plans to set up a meeting with the school and a psychologist, and suggests finding a parent advocator for support. Other parents share similar experiences with their own children in 6th grade.
floccies
My 6th grade daughter did not fill out her agenda book. Her writing teacher sent her to "Exile Island" (a spot in the hallway) for the entire class as punishment. (She is failing all classes -- was honor roll last year.) She missed the entire class period and did not get the assignment for the next day -- that meant that next days assignment was a zero.

Also the Social Studies teacher gave her a 25% for class participation (5/20). Doesn't that seem unreasonably low? In the parent/teacher meeting last week this same teacher said that she participated in class and gave good answers.

This really is bothering me -- I don't know what to do about it.

I'd call the school and set up a meeting with the teacher and your daughter. Let them all know you are concerned and are aware of this happening.

Honestly, exile island is totally unacceptable. Any teacher worth any value knows that it is those children who need to be in class. There is no excuse for her not getting her excitement. This is real life not a reality show.
I would also bring a third neutral party. You don't want it to be her word against yours.

My concern with your story is that your daughter is failing all classes. Is she able to talk to you about what is troubling her? A total change in school performance can be a cry out for help.

I agree that you need to set up an appointment with her school. I would also talk to the school counselor.

It is a charter school so there is no school counselor. I am taking her to a psychologist.

There is also girl that has been quite mean to her all year. (The mother is on the PTO and has close contact with the teachers.) This is the only child my daughter has ever had these types of issues with.

I just met with the teachers last week -- they seem to be very hostile against her -- I don't understand it at all.

My daughter thinks it's too late to pass this year and doesn't even want to try.

I am glad you are taking her to a psychologist. Is there any teachers that your daughter feels she can talk to? I am sorry to hear that she has a mean girl talking to her. Does your daughter have any close friends at her school? Maybe surrounding her with friends would help.

Find a parent Advocator – they have to have one of those – all schools have to have one of those – talk with this advocator and then let the advocator talk with your child – then have another meeting and by no means – DO NOT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR

Just my opinion - I had a son that was having problems -adhd and in 5th grade - some teachers not sure how to handle him.

I got an advocator and things started falling in the right places. This person will work (free that is for you)for you and your child - not the school/teacher

:chef:

6th grade girls are the pits. I had girls that were my dd's best friends from PRE-SCHOOL, were in our girl scout troop for 6 years (I was leader), spent many many sleepovers at our house--etc. 6th grade: BAM!! Nasty city. My dd is 23 (that's right twenty three) and she STILL talks about how mean girls were 11 years ago. I'd be willing to bet there's something social going on with girls being mean to her or ostracizing her. I hate 6th grade. Girls can be traumatizing, and the recipient girls can be really emotionally abused. And most school authorities don't deal with it because they don't KNOW how to deal with it. I will pray for your daughter.

1. What is the purpose of "Does This Make Sense" in a school setting?

The purpose of "Does This Make Sense" in a school setting is to ensure that students understand the material being taught and to address any confusion or misunderstandings. It is a way for teachers to check for understanding and make sure that their students are grasping the concepts being taught.

2. How often should "Does This Make Sense" be used in the classroom?

There is no set frequency for using "Does This Make Sense" in the classroom, as it can vary based on the subject, lesson, and individual student needs. However, it is recommended to use it regularly throughout the lesson to assess understanding and make adjustments as needed.

3. Can "Does This Make Sense" be used for all subjects and grade levels?

Yes, "Does This Make Sense" can be used for all subjects and grade levels. It is a universal tool for checking understanding and can be adapted to fit the needs of different subject areas and grade levels.

4. How should teachers respond if students say they don't understand during "Does This Make Sense"?

If students say they don't understand during "Does This Make Sense", teachers should take the time to clarify, reteach, or provide additional examples to help students grasp the material. It is important to address any confusion or misunderstandings to ensure that students can fully comprehend the lesson.

5. Can students use "Does This Make Sense" to ask questions?

Yes, students can use "Does This Make Sense" to ask questions and seek clarification. This can create a more interactive and engaging learning environment, where students feel comfortable asking for help and getting the support they need to understand the material.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • pamperedalf
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefshawna
  • MissChef